Essential oils for weight loss

Options

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Hello friends!!!
    Does anyone use essential oils for weight loss? Which ones work the best and how do you use them?
    I know lemon, grapefruit, and peppermint are the ones people use the most, however any information anyone has will be helpful. Thanks for your time!

Why would an essential oil help you lose weight?
    Because wooooooo, woooooooooo!

Wooooooooo!
  • kettouji
    kettouji Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This is the single most amusing thread I've read in a while.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    SGreen134 wrote: »
    I enjoy essential oils for relaxing, helping with certain symptoms for colds/flu, etc but I'm no longer an advocate of consuming them. When I first started everyone was saying eo's are fine to consume but the more I read about them the more I am staying away from that. But diffusing lavender at night, game on.

Same here, though the kind I buy are labeled which ones are safe to consume and which aren't. I don't see why peppermint or lemon would be dangerous. Are they gonna make you lose weight? no.

I'm not going to replace the Tylenol in my cabinet but they do have some good uses. I spray my house with diluted peppermint oil and it does deter spiders. I get itchy dry skin and the lavender tends to calm the itch. The lemon oil is great for taking off sticky labels... etc.

• tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I think posts like these should highlight, in red blinking numbers, the number of posts the originator has. Odds are these <10 post members are just stirring the pot. heck, we should be able to filter out some of these spammers in our preferences.

BTW- the twins from the shining - that's genius.
  • kampshoff
    kampshoff Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    fbmandy55 wrote: »
    SGreen134 wrote: »
    I enjoy essential oils for relaxing, helping with certain symptoms for colds/flu, etc but I'm no longer an advocate of consuming them. When I first started everyone was saying eo's are fine to consume but the more I read about them the more I am staying away from that. But diffusing lavender at night, game on.

Same here, though the kind I buy are labeled which ones are safe to consume and which aren't. I don't see why peppermint or lemon would be dangerous. Are they gonna make you lose weight? no.

I'm not going to replace the Tylenol in my cabinet but they do have some good uses. I spray my house with diluted peppermint oil and it does deter spiders. I get itchy dry skin and the lavender tends to calm the itch. The lemon oil is great for taking off sticky labels... etc.

But spiders are our friends!
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options

eddd639ecae8a1466b5cb7ca38e47f20f48d3bb2b47439be5fba6919b90c3429.jpg
    Snake Oil...
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Elaneor wrote: »
    I found a list of scientific references here http://www.takingcharge.csh.umn.edu/explore-healing-practices/aromatherapy/what-does-research-say-about-essential-oils
    And i'm not forcing anyone to use oils, really.
    If you don't want it, you simply don't use them. :)
    But if someone got a nice effect using oils, why don't give a try?

Have a good day, dear all.
    As for me, i use wax with lots of essential oils for skin on my fingers - and it really prevents burrs and made my nails more healthy and good looking.
    http://whatstheharm.net/
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I actually use a lot of essential oils. For what? I make my own bath and body products and I love the smells. Some have good topical uses like anti fungal, anti bacterial, etc. But mostly they smell good and some of the smells can help the mood. My citrus blast mix that I use in my shower gel wakes me up in the morning. Lavender is nice and relaxing at night. The rose otto EO I use in my cold cream reminds me of my childhood and Mom always smelling like Ponds cold cream when she kissed me goodnight.

Yes, smells are very powerful in the way they affect the thinking and can bring back wonderful memories (bacon anyone?). Are EO's some kind of magical potion? NOPE !! The placebo effect is big with these things.
  • freechewy
    freechewy Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I use lavendar oil in a scentsy warmer before bedtime to calm me down and help me sleep. Like most on here, the only oils I eat are olive and coconut.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I have not read the replies yet, so hopefully i'm not saying something that's already been said... but...

I would be incredibly cautious ingesting essential oils PERIOD. They are not regulated, they can contain trace amounts of all kinds of (hepatoxy anyone?) stuff, some have been tested by third parties and contained NO essential oil as claimed. Additionally, because essential oils are incredibly concentrated it would be VERY easy to consume WAY too much WAY too fast! Toxicity is no freaking joke here guys.

Dont even get me started on how while they may offer therapuetic benefits, they are not some magical miracle thing.

I personally don't keep essential oils ANYWHERE in my house because many are toxic and DEADLY to cats/dogs. For cats the following are deadly:
    Peppermint oil
    Lemon Oil
    Lavender Oil
    Melaleuca Oil
    Tea Tree Oil
    Cinnamon Bark Oil
    Wintergreen Oil
    Thyme Oil
    Birch Oil
    and anything containing phenoyls

Dont believe the hype! Look at the source and ask yourself "Is this person selling me something? Are they affiliated with a marketing scam like DoTerra or Young Living?" These companies in particular are a joke, and prey on the ignorant.
  • kampshoff
    kampshoff Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I found a list of scientific references here http://www.takingcharge.csh.umn.edu/explore-healing-practices/aromatherapy/what-does-research-say-about-essential-oils

As for me, i use wax with lots of essential oils for skin on my fingers - and it really prevents burrs and made my nails more healthy and good looking.

I had no idea UMN had a "Center for Spirituality & Healing." My tax dollars at work!

*barf*
  • rgoins374
    rgoins374 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    tycho_mx wrote: »
    I think posts like these should highlight, in red blinking numbers, the number of posts the originator has. Odds are these <10 post members are just stirring the pot. heck, we should be able to filter out some of these spammers in our preferences.

I just joined today and have <10 posts if you are referring to me. I was not trying to stir any pot and just wanted to share.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    kampshoff wrote: »

I had no idea UMN had a "Center for Spirituality & Healing." My tax dollars at work!

*barf*

I would bet money it was founded because they had a donor or donors who wanted to support research on alternative medicines vs he university wanting to research it.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    rgoins374 wrote: »
    I have had great success staying well since I began using essential oils about 2 years ago. Since that time I have had 3 hospital stays, one of which was 17 days following a full spinal fusion (T5 all the way down). I took my oils with me each time and did not contract any infections or other bad bugs from the hospital. I had an abdominal incision, an incision on my left side in addition to the large one on my back. Oils mixed with carrier oils have been instrumental in my body's recovery.

This is just my story and I'm not trying to sell anything to anyone or tout oils as a cure for ebola. I just trust natural things rather than pharmaceuticals because there are far fewer side effects for me.

So you didn't take any pharmaceuticals during your hospital stays?

Of course I did. Can you imagine spinal surgery without them? I was taking about in general. Of course, I did stop taking the pain meds pretty quickly according to my surgeon.

So you do trust pharmaceuticals, you just prefer to add essential oils in addition to them.

Meanwhile, as @ceoverturf pointed out, most people who have hospital stays don't get infections due to their stay (I believe the most recent data for the US shows 1 in 25 get an infection). And they probably aren't using essential oils.

So this is a classic flaw in logic right here.

Whatever. I was just sharing my experiences with essential oils. Of course, 2 of the 3 gifts of the Wise Men were what?

Wise men gifts have... exactly what to do with this?

The wise men tipped off Herod, who then murdered hundreds of children.

Essential oils kill babies. Q.E.D.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I just want to say, that if you've cured a "migraine" with ginger tea or peppermint oil on your temples (for that matter, if you took Excedrin for it)?

You don't know what a real migraine is.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I just want to say, that if you've cured a "migraine" with ginger tea or peppermint oil on your temples (for that matter, if you took Excedrin for it)?

Yup. That was just a headache, not a migraine.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    tycho_mx wrote: »

Thank you fellow Canadian. How is Ottawa doing in the playoffs? Was cheering for them the other night.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Yup. That was just a headache, not a migraine.

I'm trying to remember the statistic my neurologist quoted to me, but according to him, most people who think they have migraines don't even know what they really are.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I thought I knew what a migraine was - until I had a girlfriend who experienced the real deal and learned just how debilitating they really are.

My sympathies to anybody who suffers from them!