Options
    kampshoff wrote: »
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    runner475 wrote: »
    MyM0wM0w wrote: »
    Elaneor wrote: »
    Actually, as far as I know, inhaling some essential oils can help you to calm the appetite.

Very much this. I've noticed a direct correlation to scent and hunger. For example, when I clean the litterbox at night... suddenly I'm a LOT less hungry. >:)

**Taking Notes **

For guaranteed weight Loss = clean litter box @ night.

Step 1: Obtain cat

Dammit, I've already failed.

Don't worry - I've failed as well. I realized I don't have one either.

I'm allergic to cats...should I use essential oils or apple cider vinegar?

Wait, wait... I just realized Step 1 is "Acquire litter box." Cat not necessary.

I consider this on par with the three sea shells. Some explanation is required...
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Actually, as far as I know, inhaling some essential oils can help you to calm the appetite.

Very much this. I've noticed a direct correlation to scent and hunger. For example, when I clean the litterbox at night... suddenly I'm a LOT less hungry. >:)

**Taking Notes **

I'm using both of these to tackle a stubborn toenail fungus, as per MANY recommendations from another thread. Will I also lose weight?
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    rgoins374 wrote: »
    rgoins374 wrote: »
    I have had great success staying well since I began using essential oils about 2 years ago. Since that time I have had 3 hospital stays, one of which was 17 days following a full spinal fusion (T5 all the way down). I took my oils with me each time and did not contract any infections or other bad bugs from the hospital. I had an abdominal incision, an incision on my left side in addition to the large one on my back. Oils mixed with carrier oils have been instrumental in my body's recovery.

This is just my story and I'm not trying to sell anything to anyone or tout oils as a cure for ebola. I just trust natural things rather than pharmaceuticals because there are far fewer side effects for me.

So you didn't take any pharmaceuticals during your hospital stays?

Of course I did. Can you imagine spinal surgery without them? I was taking about in general. Of course, I did stop taking the pain meds pretty quickly according to my surgeon.

I had major abdominal surgery a few years ago and required zero pain meds post op. That was my make up; there were no essential oils involved at all.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

**Taking Notes **

NO, god! You use acupuncture.
    BannerAllergy.png
  • kampshoff
    kampshoff Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

**Taking Notes **

Wait, wait... I just realized Step 1 is "Acquire litter box." Cat not necessary.

I consider this on par with the three sea shells. Some explanation is required...

The goal is, as posted above, "For guaranteed weight Loss = clean litter box @ night."

No one said a cat has to fill up said litter box.
  • DaveinSK
    DaveinSK Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »

**Taking Notes **

I'm using both of these to tackle a stubborn toenail fungus, as per MANY recommendations from another thread. Will I also lose weight?

Depends on the fat content of your cat. I wouldn't recommend eating one every day, but the occasional feline as part of a well balanced diet won't harm anything.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    For anyone who likes purty smellies and has loads of cash on hand, enjoy: http://www.blackphoenixalchemylab.com
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    DaveinSK wrote: »
    Tubbs216 wrote: »

**Taking Notes **

Depends on the fat content of your cat. I wouldn't recommend eating one every day, but the occasional feline as part of a well balanced diet won't harm anything.

But is that considered clean? I only eat clean.

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

**Taking Notes **

Silly, you need to use cayenne pepper.

**Taking Notes **

Did the cat in an essential oil/apple cider vinegar mixture. It's an allergen cleanse.
    rainbowbow wrote: »

**Taking Notes **

NO, god! You use acupuncture.
    BannerAllergy.png

Oh now I'm so confused. Can anyone PLEASE STOP THE MADNESS!
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    For anyone who likes purty smellies and has loads of cash on hand, enjoy: http://www.blackphoenixalchemylab.com

I always love their graphics but the site is so hard to navigate. I prefer Ava Luxe for my wonderful scent needs.
  • sofaking6
    Options

I always love their graphics but the site is so hard to navigate. I prefer Ava Luxe for my wonderful scent needs.

True about the site...back when I used to be a regular shopper I just made a forum account (bpal.org) and 'shopped' via the Reviews section. It's hard to tell what a bottle will really smell like just from the description.

• harpsdesire
    harpsdesire Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    For me, whichever ones help me feel less stressed, indirectly help me lose weight.

While they don't take off pounds, they make my experience better by reducing the stress-eating cravings so I don't have to actively expend as much willpower to keep under my calorie goals.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    In the interest of context, here's the intro posted on that web page that had all of those studies listed. It puts them in a rather different light.
    What are some issues in conducting research on essential oils?
    There are some unique issues in conducting research on essential oils.

Essential Oils Are Not Standardized: The chemistry of essential oils is influenced by the local geography and weather conditions, as well as the season and time of day when the plants are harvested, how they are processed, and how they are packaged and stored. Each plant is unique in its chemistry so essential oils are never exactly the same-this is different from pharmaceutical drugs that are synthetically reproduced to be identical every time.

Essential oils can be altered to achieve standardization (for example, a certain chemical that was found to be at a lower concentration in the whole oil in a particular year can be added to make it the same percentage as last year's batch). The problem with standardized essential oils is that they are no longer natural, genuine, and authentic. This variability in essential oils by time, place and conditions is a big challenge to conducting valid research. Currently the International Standards Organization sets standards for each essential oil that include a range of acceptable concentrations for its major chemical constituents.

It Is Difficult to Conduct Blinded Studies with Aromatic Substances: Typical research studies involve testing two groups-one group gets an experimental substance and another group gets a placebo substance (this group is referred to as the "control" group). When using aromatic substances, it is very difficult to conduct a blinded study. Some researchers have used masks or other barriers to blind participants. Other researchers have used alternate scents assumed to have no therapeutic properties as controls. These approaches are problematic, however, because people associate smells with past experiences. Thus, it is difficult to account for individual variation in how essential oils affect people.

It Is Difficult to Get Approval and Funding for Research on Essential Oils: Essential oils have been used on humans for thousands of years. As a result, they don't fit into the conventional clinical science approach of testing a substance in the lab first, then on animals, and then on humans. As a result, if a researcher proposes to test an essential oil with humans first, they may be turned down. This is because research review boards tend to approve research studies that follow the more usual scientific research path.

Many conventional drug studies are funded by the pharmaceutical industry. There is little motivation for these companies to fund research on natural plant substances because they cannot easily be patented, limiting the potential for profit. Thus, finding funding for essential oils studies can be challenging.

It Is Difficult to Tell What Caused the Outcome: In conventional research studies, it is important to be able to determine exactly what caused the outcome. In essential oil therapy, the oils are sometimes applied with massage, which makes it difficult to tell whether or not the outcome was due to the essential oil alone, or the massage, or the combination. Also, essential oils are composed of hundreds of chemical constituents, and it is hard to determine which ones may have produced the desired effect.

It doesn't put them in any different light to what I already said, which was "I just read a report that makes quite a few very good points about why aromatherapy "cures" are not generally validated by research studies..." All you've done is list all of the points in full.

In case you don't understand it, these aren't being presented as points "against" aromatherapy. Or perhaps you do understand it but are trying to imply that it means something entirely different. (Oh, but I forgot, it's me who cherry picks and misrepresents things. Riiight....) (:-)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    In the interest of context, here's the intro posted on that web page that had all of those studies listed. It puts them in a rather different light.

Essential Oils Are Not Standardized: The chemistry of essential oils is influenced by the local geography and weather conditions, as well as the season and time of day when the plants are harvested, how they are processed, and how they are packaged and stored. Each plant is unique in its chemistry so essential oils are never exactly the same-this is different from pharmaceutical drugs that are synthetically reproduced to be identical every time.

Essential oils can be altered to achieve standardization (for example, a certain chemical that was found to be at a lower concentration in the whole oil in a particular year can be added to make it the same percentage as last year's batch). The problem with standardized essential oils is that they are no longer natural, genuine, and authentic. This variability in essential oils by time, place and conditions is a big challenge to conducting valid research. Currently the International Standards Organization sets standards for each essential oil that include a range of acceptable concentrations for its major chemical constituents.

It Is Difficult to Conduct Blinded Studies with Aromatic Substances: Typical research studies involve testing two groups-one group gets an experimental substance and another group gets a placebo substance (this group is referred to as the "control" group). When using aromatic substances, it is very difficult to conduct a blinded study. Some researchers have used masks or other barriers to blind participants. Other researchers have used alternate scents assumed to have no therapeutic properties as controls. These approaches are problematic, however, because people associate smells with past experiences. Thus, it is difficult to account for individual variation in how essential oils affect people.

It Is Difficult to Get Approval and Funding for Research on Essential Oils: Essential oils have been used on humans for thousands of years. As a result, they don't fit into the conventional clinical science approach of testing a substance in the lab first, then on animals, and then on humans. As a result, if a researcher proposes to test an essential oil with humans first, they may be turned down. This is because research review boards tend to approve research studies that follow the more usual scientific research path.

Many conventional drug studies are funded by the pharmaceutical industry. There is little motivation for these companies to fund research on natural plant substances because they cannot easily be patented, limiting the potential for profit. Thus, finding funding for essential oils studies can be challenging.

It Is Difficult to Tell What Caused the Outcome: In conventional research studies, it is important to be able to determine exactly what caused the outcome. In essential oil therapy, the oils are sometimes applied with massage, which makes it difficult to tell whether or not the outcome was due to the essential oil alone, or the massage, or the combination. Also, essential oils are composed of hundreds of chemical constituents, and it is hard to determine which ones may have produced the desired effect.

It doesn't put them in any different light to what I already said, which was "I just read a report that makes quite a few very good points about why aromatherapy "cures" are not generally validated by research studies..." All you've done is list all of the points in full.

In case you don't understand it, these aren't being presented as points "against" aromatherapy. Or perhaps you do understand it but are trying to imply that it means something entirely different. (Oh, but I forgot, it's me who cherry picks and misrepresents things. Riiight....) (:-)

Please. You posted one point, the one about how big pharma has little to gain from the studies. You just so happened to leave out all the others that had nothing to do with conspiracy theories?

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

How is posting an article in it's entirety cherry picking??
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hello friends!!!
    Does anyone use essential oils for weight loss? Which ones work the best and how do you use them?
    I know lemon, grapefruit, and peppermint are the ones people use the most, however any information anyone has will be helpful. Thanks for your time!

The only essential anything for weight loss is to eat less calories than you burn. Anything else, such as essential oils, teas, drinks, etc., are scams and meant to make your wallet lighter and their wallets fatter.

I suggest setting your goals up in MFP and sticking to your calorie goals. I able to do this by weighing food, logging everything I eat, using a HRM for exercise burns, and eating my exercise calories back. However, you need to do what works best for you. :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    The only oil I deem essential is olive oil.

This! :D
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Their stuff loses its scent way too quickly for me.

• sofaking6
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Their stuff loses its scent way too quickly for me.

No fixers = no migraine for me (see I do belong in this thread!)

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    ascrit wrote: »
    I saw a turtle once and I didn't get sick.
    While you were looking at the turtle, a woman in Australia was touching a pig.