• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Nope, not the same.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Yes, that's called picking out one tidbit that slants the whole of what you say.

It leaves out the shortcomings of the oils themselves with the testing process.

Or, looking at it another way, it could have highlighted the shortcomings of a testing process that can't handle even a slight deviation in the formula.
  • PeachyCarol
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Yes, that's called picking out one tidbit that slants the whole of what you say.

Or, looking at it another way, it could have highlighted the shortcomings of a testing process that can't handle even a slight deviation in the formula.

Of course you'd see it that way. The scientific method is so fraught with shortcomings. Pity.

• lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Just curious...

If EOs actually did anything, would they work on someone who couldn't smell them?
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

Of course you'd see it that way. The scientific method is so fraught with shortcomings. Pity.

Oh, come on, you have to admit it almost seems like the entire process is designed to ensure stuff like this can't be 'legitimately' tested!

Your faith in science is touching. Scientists never get anything wrong, of course.

Anyway, thank you all for another erm, enlightening exchange of ideas (if only!) I'm only allowed to post every ten minutes because I'm in jail, so I can't keep up with all the pot-shots, so I'm going to go to sleep instead.

Night night!

And yes, Mr M, I know... I'm running away.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I've used both ginger and peppermint essential oil to help with nausea. They are VERY effective. They eliminate car sickness for me just as well as the motion sickness pills. I have just recently bought a couple of different ones to use in homemade massage bars...but chose those purely based on scents I liked.

However, scent is very powerful and is known to influence mood. So while I doubt that essential oils will DIRECTLY help you lose weight (burn calories, etc.) I think it is very possible that certain ones could help to suppress appetite or help calm people to reduce stress eating. After all, tracking calories doesn't directly help anybody lose weight either, yet most people on this site swear by it. So if the oils help some people, then they can be a weight loss tool just like recording everything you eat on mfp.
  • PeachyCarol
    edited April 2015
    Options
    smh. Yes. Wrong scientists getting us nowhere all these years. So sad. The man, man.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Can anyone provide cliffs?

Essential oils smell good.
    Essential oils because baby Jesus.
    Someone cherry picked when posting a link (three guesses who).
    Don't drink Essential oils.

Years I went through the thread and am kind of disappointed. I surely thought 7 pages would have something juicy. I was so wrong.

If you like juicy, I suggest some grapefruit, orange or lime oil ;)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

You've kept telling us that you don't even need research to draw conclusions, so I don't know if you are the appropriate person to identify any shortcomings in the scientific method.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Oh, come on, you have to admit it almost seems like the entire process is designed to ensure stuff like this can't be 'legitimately' tested!

Your faith in science is touching. Scientists never get anything wrong, of course.

Anyway, thank you all for another erm, enlightening exchange of ideas (if only!) I'm only allowed to post every ten minutes because I'm in jail, so I can't keep up with all the pot-shots, so I'm going to go to sleep instead.

Night night!

FYI it's not every 10 minutes between posts, it's 150 seconds.

Shhhh.... Why would you say that!? Now we have to endure 4 extra posts every 10 minutes!

• kampshoff
    kampshoff Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    marm1962 wrote: »
    kampshoff wrote: »
    rgoins374 wrote: »
    Essential oils marked "Essential Oil Supplement" are safe for consumption. I use a drop or two of lemon essential oil in my water with cucumbers. I cannot use lemon slice because the acid is hard on my kidneys and bladder.

Does the FDA regulate the labeling of such oils?

hmmm, FDA is soooo good at keeping harmful medications and such off the shelves too, don't ya think?

I do, in fact.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Elaneor wrote: »
    Actually, as far as I know, inhaling some essential oils can help you to calm the appetite. But always use it in your lamp with basis oil (3 drops of oil is okay). You can even make baths with essential oil (3 drops of oil on the 2-3 spoons of the sea salt is a good deal).
    For example:
    • grapefruit helps with overeating and stress
    • peppermint increases motivation and calms the appetite
    • cinnamon helps to improve the immune system
    • and so on (i suppose citrus oils are one of the best here - they tone up, calm appetite and give you better mood)
    And beware that some of them (like citrus) may cause photosensitivity to the sun if you use it on skin (with massage oils).
    Proper usage of essential oils can help you eat less (but still counting and your own work really matter).
    Will putting them on crystal pyramids help, or should I avoid that?

Only if you sing the proper incantations while doing so

Its not cool to mock someone else's spiritual/religious beliefs.
  • Lamichellam
    Lamichellam Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I put a few drops of eucalyptus and peppermint oil in hot water to inhale the steam to decongest my nostrils, works well ! but it doesnt seem to have calmed my appetite :(
  • Elaneor
    Elaneor Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    but it doesnt seem to have calmed my appetite :(
    May be it was hunger actually.
    Just check it out - if last time you ate was 3-4 hours ago, if your stomache hurts and spams, or if you have a headache,- then its hunger,not appetite. And only good meal can help you out. ;)

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Night night!

Yeah, it's totally science's problem that even the time of day that the plant was harvested at can have an effect on the concentration of the chemicals.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Most essential oils are not meant for internal use and can be harmful, if not fatal if ingested.

This is just not true, you have to purchase Food Grade oils if you want to injest them. They have their uses, but not sure about aiding in weight loss. I currently use ginger for heartburn and my daughter uses Cloves to keep her blood pressure down, better all natural than taking all those meds. I used to take prilosec once a day for seven years.

No, ESSENTIAL OILS are dangerous to ingest. Food grade oils may not be.

BUT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! I really hope all those people who have posted about adding essential lemon oil to their drinks or whatever are getting these two mixed up and aren't actually adding pure essential oil to their drinks and food. At times this feels like natural selection at its best....
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Most essential oils are not meant for internal use and can be harmful, if not fatal if ingested.

This is just not true, you have to purchase Food Grade oils if you want to injest them. They have their uses, but not sure about aiding in weight loss. I currently use ginger for heartburn and my daughter uses Cloves to keep her blood pressure down, better all natural than taking all those meds. I used to take prilosec once a day for seven years.

No, ESSENTIAL OILS are dangerous to ingest. Food grade oils may not be.

BUT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! I really hope all those people who have posted about adding essential lemon oil to their drinks or whatever are getting these two mixed up and aren't actually adding pure essential oil to their drinks and food. At times this feels like natural selection at its best....

20031208.gif