Essential oils for weight loss

Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    In the interest of context, here's the intro posted on that web page that had all of those studies listed. It puts them in a rather different light.
    What are some issues in conducting research on essential oils?
    There are some unique issues in conducting research on essential oils.

Essential Oils Are Not Standardized: The chemistry of essential oils is influenced by the local geography and weather conditions, as well as the season and time of day when the plants are harvested, how they are processed, and how they are packaged and stored. Each plant is unique in its chemistry so essential oils are never exactly the same-this is different from pharmaceutical drugs that are synthetically reproduced to be identical every time.

Essential oils can be altered to achieve standardization (for example, a certain chemical that was found to be at a lower concentration in the whole oil in a particular year can be added to make it the same percentage as last year's batch). The problem with standardized essential oils is that they are no longer natural, genuine, and authentic. This variability in essential oils by time, place and conditions is a big challenge to conducting valid research. Currently the International Standards Organization sets standards for each essential oil that include a range of acceptable concentrations for its major chemical constituents.

It Is Difficult to Conduct Blinded Studies with Aromatic Substances: Typical research studies involve testing two groups-one group gets an experimental substance and another group gets a placebo substance (this group is referred to as the "control" group). When using aromatic substances, it is very difficult to conduct a blinded study. Some researchers have used masks or other barriers to blind participants. Other researchers have used alternate scents assumed to have no therapeutic properties as controls. These approaches are problematic, however, because people associate smells with past experiences. Thus, it is difficult to account for individual variation in how essential oils affect people.

It Is Difficult to Get Approval and Funding for Research on Essential Oils: Essential oils have been used on humans for thousands of years. As a result, they don't fit into the conventional clinical science approach of testing a substance in the lab first, then on animals, and then on humans. As a result, if a researcher proposes to test an essential oil with humans first, they may be turned down. This is because research review boards tend to approve research studies that follow the more usual scientific research path.

Many conventional drug studies are funded by the pharmaceutical industry. There is little motivation for these companies to fund research on natural plant substances because they cannot easily be patented, limiting the potential for profit. Thus, finding funding for essential oils studies can be challenging.

It Is Difficult to Tell What Caused the Outcome: In conventional research studies, it is important to be able to determine exactly what caused the outcome. In essential oil therapy, the oils are sometimes applied with massage, which makes it difficult to tell whether or not the outcome was due to the essential oil alone, or the massage, or the combination. Also, essential oils are composed of hundreds of chemical constituents, and it is hard to determine which ones may have produced the desired effect.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    In the interest of context, here's the intro posted on that web page that had all of those studies listed. It puts them in a rather different light.
    What are some issues in conducting research on essential oils?
    There are some unique issues in conducting research on essential oils.

Essential Oils Are Not Standardized: The chemistry of essential oils is influenced by the local geography and weather conditions, as well as the season and time of day when the plants are harvested, how they are processed, and how they are packaged and stored. Each plant is unique in its chemistry so essential oils are never exactly the same-this is different from pharmaceutical drugs that are synthetically reproduced to be identical every time.

Essential oils can be altered to achieve standardization (for example, a certain chemical that was found to be at a lower concentration in the whole oil in a particular year can be added to make it the same percentage as last year's batch). The problem with standardized essential oils is that they are no longer natural, genuine, and authentic. This variability in essential oils by time, place and conditions is a big challenge to conducting valid research. Currently the International Standards Organization sets standards for each essential oil that include a range of acceptable concentrations for its major chemical constituents.
    It Is Difficult to Conduct Blinded Studies with Aromatic Substances: Typical research studies involve testing two groups-one group gets an experimental substance and another group gets a placebo substance (this group is referred to as the "control" group). When using aromatic substances, it is very difficult to conduct a blinded study. Some researchers have used masks or other barriers to blind participants. Other researchers have used alternate scents assumed to have no therapeutic properties as controls. These approaches are problematic, however, because people associate smells with past experiences. Thus, it is difficult to account for individual variation in how essential oils affect people.
    It Is Difficult to Get Approval and Funding for Research on Essential Oils: Essential oils have been used on humans for thousands of years. As a result, they don't fit into the conventional clinical science approach of testing a substance in the lab first, then on animals, and then on humans. As a result, if a researcher proposes to test an essential oil with humans first, they may be turned down. This is because research review boards tend to approve research studies that follow the more usual scientific research path.

Many conventional drug studies are funded by the pharmaceutical industry. There is little motivation for these companies to fund research on natural plant substances because they cannot easily be patented, limiting the potential for profit. Thus, finding funding for essential oils studies can be challenging.
    It Is Difficult to Tell What Caused the Outcome: In conventional research studies, it is important to be able to determine exactly what caused the outcome. In essential oil therapy, the oils are sometimes applied with massage, which makes it difficult to tell whether or not the outcome was due to the essential oil alone, or the massage, or the combination. Also, essential oils are composed of hundreds of chemical constituents, and it is hard to determine which ones may have produced the desired effect.

So you're telling me that person who posted all those studies cherry picked information willy nilly? THE DEVIL YOU SAY

IIRC, it's not the first time she's done it.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    ascrit wrote: »
    jkwolly wrote: »
    rgoins374 wrote: »
    I have had great success staying well since I began using essential oils about 2 years ago. Since that time I have had 3 hospital stays, one of which was 17 days following a full spinal fusion (T5 all the way down). I took my oils with me each time and did not contract any infections or other bad bugs from the hospital. I had an abdominal incision, an incision on my left side in addition to the large one on my back. Oils mixed with carrier oils have been instrumental in my body's recovery.

This is just my story and I'm not trying to sell anything to anyone or tout oils as a cure for ebola. I just trust natural things rather than pharmaceuticals because there are far fewer side effects for me.

So you didn't take any pharmaceuticals during your hospital stays?

Of course I did. Can you imagine spinal surgery without them? I was taking about in general. Of course, I did stop taking the pain meds pretty quickly according to my surgeon.

So you do trust pharmaceuticals, you just prefer to add essential oils in addition to them.

Meanwhile, as @ceoverturf pointed out, most people who have hospital stays don't get infections due to their stay (I believe the most recent data for the US shows 1 in 25 get an infection). And they probably aren't using essential oils.

So this is a classic flaw in logic right here.

Whatever. I was just sharing my experiences with essential oils. Of course, 2 of the 3 gifts of the Wise Men were what?

Wise men gifts have... exactly what to do with this?

I'll take the gold!

I like the way myrrh is spelled.

It rhymes with purrrr... Speaking of, is it time for kitty gifs yet?
    I just want to say, that if you've cured a "migraine" with ginger tea or peppermint oil on your temples (for that matter, if you took Excedrin for it)?

You don't know what a real migraine is.

Yup. That was just a headache, not a migraine.

Fine. You got me. I just wasn't in the mood that night.

I really wasn't trying to judge your personal experience, just responding generally to the comment of the person I responded to. I used to think I had migraines until I actually lived with someone who suffered from them, and it totally changed my perspective. All I meant.

ETA: I can see how you would think that though- I phrased it poorly. My bad.

LOL I was joking - "not tonight honey, I have a headache".

Also - I think the quotes are all messed up so that may have had something to do with the misunderstanding.

• ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I have had great success staying well since I began using essential oils about 2 years ago. Since that time I have had 3 hospital stays, one of which was 17 days following a full spinal fusion (T5 all the way down). I took my oils with me each time and did not contract any infections or other bad bugs from the hospital. I had an abdominal incision, an incision on my left side in addition to the large one on my back. Oils mixed with carrier oils have been instrumental in my body's recovery.

This is just my story and I'm not trying to sell anything to anyone or tout oils as a cure for ebola. I just trust natural things rather than pharmaceuticals because there are far fewer side effects for me.

Of course I did. Can you imagine spinal surgery without them? I was taking about in general. Of course, I did stop taking the pain meds pretty quickly according to my surgeon.

So you do trust pharmaceuticals, you just prefer to add essential oils in addition to them.

Meanwhile, as @ceoverturf pointed out, most people who have hospital stays don't get infections due to their stay (I believe the most recent data for the US shows 1 in 25 get an infection). And they probably aren't using essential oils.

Whatever. I was just sharing my experiences with essential oils. Of course, 2 of the 3 gifts of the Wise Men were what?

I'll take the gold!

UHHHH, is it ever NOT time for them?

Spoiler alert: no, kitty gifs are always appropriate and necessary.

• LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options

I'll take the gold!

I just want to say, that if you've cured a "migraine" with ginger tea or peppermint oil on your temples (for that matter, if you took Excedrin for it)?

I really wasn't trying to judge your personal experience, just responding generally to the comment of the person I responded to. I used to think I had migraines until I actually lived with someone who suffered from them, and it totally changed my perspective. All I meant.

Also - I think the quotes are all messed up so that may have had something to do with the misunderstanding.
    LOL

I can't tell who might be offended anymore. I actually can not tell.
  • WinoGelato
    Options

I'll take the gold!

LOL

I can't tell who might be offended anymore. I actually can not tell.

It is almost impossible to offend me. No - that is not a dare!

• ChrisManch
    ChrisManch Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    As an example of how these things work: Peeing on your feet in the shower was an old-wives-tale remedy for athletes foot.

When it was tested experimentally it did actually cure athletes foot, but it was nothing to do with urine.

People who peed on their feet would generally wash them more carefully, and then dry them thoroughly (because they felt some disgust at this "treatment"). It was this washing and drying that cured the athletes foot.

As for "big pharma" not investing in "natural plant extracts" - this is where they get a lot of drugs from in the first place. Aspirin is from Willow bark. Digitalis, codeine, ephedrine, Morphine - all from plants.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    MyM0wM0w wrote: »
    Elaneor wrote: »
    Actually, as far as I know, inhaling some essential oils can help you to calm the appetite.

Very much this. I've noticed a direct correlation to scent and hunger. For example, when I clean the litterbox at night... suddenly I'm a LOT less hungry. >:)

**Taking Notes **

For guaranteed weight Loss = clean litter box @ night.
  • kampshoff
    kampshoff Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »
    Actually, as far as I know, inhaling some essential oils can help you to calm the appetite.

Very much this. I've noticed a direct correlation to scent and hunger. For example, when I clean the litterbox at night... suddenly I'm a LOT less hungry. >:)

**Taking Notes **

Step 1: Obtain cat

Dammit, I've already failed.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    ChrisManch wrote: »
    As an example of how these things work: Peeing on your feet in the shower was an old-wives-tale remedy for athletes foot.

When it was tested experimentally it did actually cure athletes foot, but it was nothing to do with urine.

People who peed on their feet would generally wash them more carefully, and then dry them thoroughly (because they felt some disgust at this "treatment"). It was this washing and drying that cured the athletes foot.

As for "big pharma" not investing in "natural plant extracts" - this is where they get a lot of drugs from in the first place. Aspirin is from Willow bark. Digitalis, codeine, ephedrine, Morphine - all from plants.

Hey now, pee contains the wonderful ingredient UREA!

I have prescription strength urea for Keratosis Pilaris and eczema.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    This thread might be the best one since the Easter one about the hard boiled eggs prohibiting the OP's MMA training.

Please continue...
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    kampshoff wrote: »

**Taking Notes **

Don't worry - I've failed as well. I realized I don't have one either.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    A few drops of essential oils under the insole of my teens's shoes has saved me from passing out cold on the floor. Lordy, that child's feet reek.

something that works well for that is teatree and baking soda.

Mix some teatree with baking soda and sprinkle in shoes. works like a charm.

I have been putting teatree and lavender on the underside of the sole (so no direct skin contact) and those scents do tend to clear matters. I'll try the baking soda.

I also put straight Tea tree on athlete's foot. But not everyone's skin can take that strength.

I can't use tea tree in any strength. It burns my skin.

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

**Taking Notes **

I'm allergic to cats...should I use essential oils or apple cider vinegar?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

**Taking Notes **

Silly, you need to use cayenne pepper.

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

**Taking Notes **

Did the cat in an essential oil/apple cider vinegar mixture. It's an allergen cleanse.
  • kampshoff
    kampshoff Posts: 133 Member
    Options

**Taking Notes **

Wait, wait... I just realized Step 1 is "Acquire litter box." Cat not necessary.