Saw Something On The News This Morning About Exercise Being More Important Than Diet

Options
OldAssDude
OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
edited August 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Saw something on the news this morning about Coca Cola supporting a study that exercise is more important for weight loss than diet. I can see why they would support such a study because they sell sugary drinks, but it still seems interesting to me because I always felt that exercise is more important.

Just wondering what other people think about this.

Replies

• ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    So, if you eat 5000 calories a day but run a half mile, you'll lose weight because you exercised?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I think that unless you are capable of fairly substantial, legitimate calorie burns on a regular basis, it's hard for exercise to be more important than getting your deficit via diet.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I said in another thread that I think Coca-Cola is making a big mistake pushing this idea, lol. People will hear, "I can drink it if I exercise enough" and translate that to "I can't drink that stuff." Mostly, people don't care, but of the ones who take the message to heart, the message would cause them to sell less, not more, pop.

For me, exercise is wildly important. Without it, I couldn't lose unless I ate so little that I'd be weak and dizzy. I need my exercise! It is good for me, but it is the real reason I lose weight. When I don't exercise, I don't lose.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    So, if you eat 5000 calories a day but run a half mile, you'll lose weight because you exercised?
    So, if you eat at sedentary maintenance but run 5K, you won't lose weight because you didn't eat at a deficit?

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Exercise is for health. How much you eat and whether you are in deficit or not will cause a weight gain or weight loss.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    So over the years we have seen a gradual fall in calorie consumption and a slowing of obesity rates, with most of the cuts in calories coming from sugary drinks I believe.

Of course Coca Cola are going to fund and support a study which says that it is effectively ok to resume higher levels of consumption because exercise is the key component.

Do I think it is a legitimate claim? No, not on a general level.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    Saw something on the news this morning about Coca Cola supporting a study that exercise is more important than diet. I can see why they would support such a study because they sell sugary drinks, but it still seems interesting to me because I always felt that exercise is more important.

Diet is more important for general health and wellness, and exercise is more important for physical fitness.

When losing weight, becoming physically fit changes the whole way your body functions.
    Some just won't get that and are satisfied a shrunken version of their current body.
    Whatever, to each his own, but my goals are much higher than mere weight loss.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Options
    So, if you eat at sedentary maintenance but run 5K, you won't lose weight because you didn't eat at a deficit?
    ha ha - demonstrating absurdity with absurdity.
    NICE! B)

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

This is as silly as suggesting IIFYM means people should eat nothing but donuts.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    The studies coming out about maintenance showing nearly complete overlap between significant exercise and long term weigh management are telling.

In theory, not necessary. In practice? Maybe a different story.

• rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

This is as silly as suggesting IIFYM means people should eat nothing but donuts.

Bro...Are you saying my donut whey protein shake is not IIFYM?!?!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Exercise is for health. How much you eat and whether you are in deficit or not will cause a weight gain or weight loss.

+1
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Saw something on the news this morning about Coca Cola supporting a study that exercise is more important than diet. I can see why they would support such a study because they sell sugary drinks, but it still seems interesting to me because I always felt that exercise is more important.

Go home Coca Cola you're drunk :D:|

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Coca cola should expand their corporation. Only time I drink it is to splash it to top of liquor.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

true dat.

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Since you didn't mention they said weight loss I'm assuming they meant exercise is more important than diet for something else. Fitness? Overall health?
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    The studies coming out about maintenance showing nearly complete overlap between significant exercise and long term weigh management are telling.

In theory, not necessary. In practice? Maybe a different story.

Sure, I think that an active lifestyle is a significant and important element of long term weight regulation.

However, when it comes to getting obesity rates down I believe that the public policy focus should remain strongly on diet and over consumption. IIRC the amount of time people spend exercising has remained constant (or actually increased - but that is from memory so I would need to check) over the last few decades. It is the reaction to our changed food environment which is the biggest part of this puzzle.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Since you didn't mention they said weight loss I'm assuming they meant exercise is more important than diet for something else. Fitness? Overall health?

Just fixed that. Thanks.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Go home Coca Cola you're drunk :D:|

It's the only way I drink their products.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    edited August 2015
    Options
    The correlation might be explained another way.

If a person is too lazy and undisciplined to exercise, they're probably too lazy and undisciplined to stick to proper food intake. The excuses for not exercising work just as well when applied to diet.
    Excuses are extremely versatile and multifaceted.