Saw Something On The News This Morning About Exercise Being More Important Than Diet

Options

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »
    momar23 wrote: »
    I have never seen a point get so lost amongst noise in my whole life.

Coke is attempting to promote the notion that you can out-exercise over consumption of calories in order to boost lagging sales.

Instead of being appalled by that, I'm seeing a bunch of posts with people arguing about the benefits of exercise.

I don't get it.

You can't out-exercise the over-consumption of calories. This is a point people were making earlier in the thread and they got told they were ignoring the CO part of the equation. What the what now? If you keep eating more than you're burning, what's going to happen?

It's always down to eating less than you burn.

Exercise is great. I do an awful lot of it because it helps me keep my energy levels up and manages my pain levels with some medical conditions I have ... the more I do, the better I feel. Yay me. But I still watch my calories like a hawk.

I'm not going to be swallowing Coke's message any time soon.

Agree! It's true most ppl don't exercise enough. But most of the problem is calories in. I am at 160 calories burnt after going for a 40 minute walk. I can't imagine how much I would need to move to burn off a big gulp

https://theconversation.com/big-sodas-tactics-to-confuse-science-and-protect-their-profits-45907

Yep. When I gained 50 lbs in the last year and a half before committing myself to losing weight....I was exercising on average at least 60 minutes daily. How is that so? DUM DUM DUM.

It's easy. I was eating more than I was burning.

Or you were burning less than you were eating. Depends on how you look at it.
    How long would it take you to burn a legitimate 500 net calories -- not double counting your BMR burn -- a day, every day, to lose a pound a week?

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'd take any studies funded by coca cola with a big heaping of scepticism...
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options

Coke is attempting to promote the notion that you can out-exercise over consumption of calories in order to boost lagging sales.

Instead of being appalled by that, I'm seeing a bunch of posts with people arguing about the benefits of exercise.

I don't get it.

You can't out-exercise the over-consumption of calories. This is a point people were making earlier in the thread and they got told they were ignoring the CO part of the equation. What the what now? If you keep eating more than you're burning, what's going to happen?

Exercise is great. I do an awful lot of it because it helps me keep my energy levels up and manages my pain levels with some medical conditions I have ... the more I do, the better I feel. Yay me. But I still watch my calories like a hawk.

Agree! It's true most ppl don't exercise enough. But most of the problem is calories in. I am at 160 calories burnt after going for a 40 minute walk. I can't imagine how much I would need to move to burn off a big gulp

https://theconversation.com/big-sodas-tactics-to-confuse-science-and-protect-their-profits-45907

Yep. When I gained 50 lbs in the last year and a half before committing myself to losing weight....I was exercising on average at least 60 minutes daily. How is that so? DUM DUM DUM.

I was exercising regularly, so I think we know which one it is. Stop playing semantics. I was eating in excess of what my body needed. I was a great example of you can't out run a bad diet. 100%.

I'm now a normal body weight. I am also still exercising regularly. What did I change...I was eating in a caloric deficit. Now I am eating in maintenance.

I'm not playing anything. just pointing out that there are 2 ways to look at the same thing is all.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

I don't get it.

I was exercising regularly, so I think we know which one it is. Stop playing semantics. I was eating in excess of what my body needed. I was a great example of you can't out run a bad diet. 100%.

I'm now a normal body weight. I am also still exercising regularly. What did I change...I was eating in a caloric deficit. Now I am eating in maintenance.

I'm not playing anything. just pointing out that there are 2 ways to look at the same thing is all.
    If you'll look at how much time and effort it takes to burn a meaningful number of calories, you'll see why one way is more feasible in more cases than the other way. Not eating 500 calories is much easier than burning an extra 500 calories for almost everyone, for example.

• Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Are you doubting the intentions of The Coca Cola Company?
    All they're trying to do is help humanity just as they have always done in the tireless and selfless effort to make our world a better place.

In other news...the moon is made of Swiss cheese... :p

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

I don't get it.

I just did a 53 minute walk and burned 401 calories. Earlier today I did 3 miles on my kayak and burned 428 calories. I also have a 68 calorie adjustment from steps on my activity tracker. So I have 897 exercise calories so far today. If you add them to my goal calories of 1580 that is 2477 calories, and the 500 and some odd calories that MFP minuses to lose 1 lb. per are already taken out. I have had breakfast and lunch which totals 919 calories, so I still have 1558 calories to eat. I will probably eat anywhere from 500 to 800 calories for dinner and a snack, so I will end up with 800 to 1,000 calories left over today.

How fast a pace do you walk?

That seems like a big difference in calories for only 13 minutes difference in time.

Bodyweight makes a big difference in calories burned from walking.

Of course, lots of walking estimates grossly overstate calories burned.

For me, 897 calories would be running about 9.5-10 miles, except even that counts the calories I would have burned anyway. To get a true 897 additional calories it would have to be even more. I don't count adjustments from steps other than in my daily overall activity.

Also, I exercise quite a lot, and at 2477 calories I'd be gaining weight.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    All they're trying to do is help humanity just as they have always done in the tireless and selfless effort to make our world a better place.

Now, if they could go back to putting cocaine in it, they might have a weight loss formula.

• OldAssDude
    Options

I don't get it.

How long would it take you to burn a legitimate 500 net calories -- not double counting your BMR burn -- a day, every day, to lose a pound a week?

I can easily burn that much in an hour walking at close to a 4mph pace. Almost that much in an hour of kayaking, and more than that in an hour of biking.

I walk every day, ride my bike 2 to 3 times a week, and kayak 2 to 3 times a week. So most days I burn 800 to 1,000 calories, some times more.
  • DeguelloTex
    edited August 2015
    Options

I don't get it.

I can easily burn that much in an hour walking at close to a 4mph pace.
    Not unless you weigh around 300 pounds you can't.

I'm in the 220s and I burn about 500 calories -- real world, not some online calculator -- if I run for an hour. Maybe. Walking is about half that.

ETA: On my non-running days, I walk 4.5 miles at 4.5 miles per hour. I don't burn close to 500 calories and I am quite likely larger than you are.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

I don't get it.

It's my experience, not yours. I was eating in way excess of what my body needed while exercising regularly. That is what was going on. No two ways of looking at it.
    There absolutely two ways of looking at it.

A>B or B<A

They're both saying the same thing!

"I ate more calories than I burned" is the same thing as "I burned fewer calories than I ate."

If you're going to trumpet CICO, you have to agree that both parts are included. It's not CI. It's not CO. ITS CICO.

You cannot separate the two. They're bound together. Can't have a CICO theory without both parts.

CICO. It's all CICO.

• DeguelloTex
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

I don't get it.

It's my experience, not yours. I was eating in way excess of what my body needed while exercising regularly. That is what was going on. No two ways of looking at it.

A>B or B<A

"I ate more calories than I burned" is the same thing as "I burned fewer calories than I ate."

If you're going to trumpet CICO, you have to agree that both parts are included. It's not CI. It's not CO. ITS CICO.

You cannot separate the two. They're bound together. Can't have a CICO theory without both parts.
    You don't have to separate the two to understand that most people don't have the time or the inclination to burn as many calories as it would take to offset what they eat.

Yes, absolutely, someone can do it either way. Definitely. That doesn't mean they're equally feasible for most people.

• OldAssDude
    Options

ROFL!!!
  • OldAssDude
    edited August 2015
    Options

Now, if they could go back to putting cocaine in it, they might have a weight loss formula.

What makes this even funnier is that I remember those days.

Damn I'm old... :)
  • lemurcat12
    Options

I don't get it.

A>B or B<A

CICO. It's all CICO.

Her point was that she was exercising an hour a day at the time. Yes, theoretically she could just exercise even more, but in the real world it was much more feasible for her to cut calories.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

I don't get it.

A>B or B<A

You don't have to separate the two to understand that most people don't have the time or the inclination to burn as many calories as it would take to offset what they eat.

Yes, absolutely, someone can do it either way. Definitely. That doesn't mean they're equally feasible for most people.
    I'm not saying anyone needs to exercise. Not here to convince anyone to exercise or not!

Just pointing out that A<B is, in fact, the same thing as B>A.
  • OldAssDude
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I don't get it.

I just did a 53 minute walk and burned 401 calories. Earlier today I did 3 miles on my kayak and burned 428 calories. I also have a 68 calorie adjustment from steps on my activity tracker. So I have 897 exercise calories so far today. If you add them to my goal calories of 1580 that is 2477 calories, and the 500 and some odd calories that MFP minuses to lose 1 lb. per are already taken out. I have had breakfast and lunch which totals 919 calories, so I still have 1558 calories to eat. I will probably eat anywhere from 500 to 800 calories for dinner and a snack, so I will end up with 800 to 1,000 calories left over today.

How fast a pace do you walk?

That seems like a big difference in calories for only 13 minutes difference in time.

Bodyweight makes a big difference in calories burned from walking.

Of course, lots of walking estimates grossly overstate calories burned.

For me, 897 calories would be running about 9.5-10 miles, except even that counts the calories I would have burned anyway. To get a true 897 additional calories it would have to be even more. I don't count adjustments from steps other than in my daily overall activity.

Also, I exercise quite a lot, and at 2477 calories I'd be gaining weight.

I wear my heart rate monitor when I exercise, and because I am so old and out of shape, I get in the 70 to 80 percent cardio zone quite easily. my activity tracker must take that into account when it calculates my calories burned, because it's always a little lower when I don't wear it.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

I don't get it.

A>B or B<A

I'm not saying anyone needs to exercise. Not here to convince anyone to exercise or not!

Just pointing out that A<B is, in fact, the same thing as B>A.

No one is arguing otherwise. That was not her point.