Saw Something On The News This Morning About Exercise Being More Important Than Diet

Options

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    The studies coming out about maintenance showing nearly complete overlap between significant exercise and long term weigh management are telling.

In theory, not necessary. In practice? Maybe a different story.

Could also just be that the people who successfully maintain also realize that exercise is good for you, apart from the calories it burns.

You're right, that could be. But if that's the case, I would like to see a study that looks at that. It seems more logical to conclude that exercise encourages successful maintenance than that successful maintenance encourages people to exercise.

I can only speak for myself, but I do only exercise for the body composition aspect, not to burn extra calories. It's an awful lot of work creating a deficit from exercise when instead I can just eat less.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    A man in his twenties puts on weight while eating the same number of calories as he did when he was a teenager.
    BMR is scarcely different between a 50 year old man and a teenager, let alone a 20-something man and a teenager.

There is a difference of 50 calories per day between a 15 year old and a 25 year old. It is a whole 175 calories per day between a 15 year old and a 50 year old. If a 25 year old ate the same amount as a 15 year old and they both did nothing but sat around on the couch all day, the 25 year old would gain more than five pounds in one year. The 50 year old would gain 18 pounds. So, I'm not sure I want to call it "scarcely different."

However, you make a good point. We often see teenagers eating significant amounts of food without gaining weight. I would think that is more than 50 calories per day more than the adult versions of themselves, yet we see people gain weight after reaching adulthood. If it isn't how much they are growing that makes them thin and it isn't because they are eating less than adults, then it has to be something else. The other thing that is different between thin teenagers and the fat adult version of themselves is that teenagers are involved in sports, band, and other activities, while the fat adults just sit on the sidelines watching their children participate.

That is an average 15, 25 and 50 year old. The differences in BMR there are mostly due to foreseen LBM losses as you age which may not happen if you're paying attention to that.

This is true, but if you want to maintain LBM as you age you MUST exercise. There really isn't any other way to do it.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Here are some more details. Seems like its not really a single study, but an organization of scientists who hold this opinion and have done various bits of research, and coca-cola has given them some money to publicize their opinions. http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/08/09/coca-cola-funds-scientists-who-shift-blame-for-obesity-away-from-bad-diets/?&hp&action=click&pgtype
  • lmsaa
    lmsaa Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    NYT June 15, 2015: To Lose Weight, Eating Less Is Far More Important Than Exercising More
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/16/upshot/to-lose-weight-eating-less-is-far-more-important-than-exercising-more.html?_r=0
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    A man in his twenties puts on weight while eating the same number of calories as he did when he was a teenager.
    BMR is scarcely different between a 50 year old man and a teenager, let alone a 20-something man and a teenager.

There is a difference of 50 calories per day between a 15 year old and a 25 year old. It is a whole 175 calories per day between a 15 year old and a 50 year old. If a 25 year old ate the same amount as a 15 year old and they both did nothing but sat around on the couch all day, the 25 year old would gain more than five pounds in one year. The 50 year old would gain 18 pounds. So, I'm not sure I want to call it "scarcely different."

However, you make a good point. We often see teenagers eating significant amounts of food without gaining weight. I would think that is more than 50 calories per day more than the adult versions of themselves, yet we see people gain weight after reaching adulthood. If it isn't how much they are growing that makes them thin and it isn't because they are eating less than adults, then it has to be something else. The other thing that is different between thin teenagers and the fat adult version of themselves is that teenagers are involved in sports, band, and other activities, while the fat adults just sit on the sidelines watching their children participate.

That is an average 15, 25 and 50 year old. The differences in BMR there are mostly due to foreseen LBM losses as you age which may not happen if you're paying attention to that.

This is true, but if you want to maintain LBM as you age you MUST exercise. There really isn't any other way to do it.
    \

You mean weight train that really doesn't burn a lot of calories?

• Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I think diet is more important but i know that this is not cut and dried. Different experts have different views and of course like you say coca cola have vested interest in this angle. There's a program called the men who make you fat on you tube and one of them talks about the industry and how they are all gung ho with sponsoring all sorts of sporty things. I can't remember which one of hte episodes deals wiht it but they are all good and after that you should watch the men who make you thin.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    So, if you eat 5000 calories a day but run a half mile, you'll lose weight because you exercised?

ONly if you're really fat.

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    I think diet is more important but i know that this is not cut and dried. Different experts have different views and of course like you say coca cola have vested interest in this angle. There's a program called the men who make you fat on you tube and one of them talks about the industry and how they are all gung ho with sponsoring all sorts of sporty things. I can't remember which one of hte episodes deals wiht it but they are all good and after that you should watch the men who make you thin.

Are these youtube clips entertaining?
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    If you're the sort of person who enjoys berating overweight people for not exercising enough, I suppose that this is the study for you.

It still comes down to CI<CO for weight loss. You can manipulate either side to maintain that balance, but it comes down to what you can sustain. Manipulating only one side limits your options. It is easier and faster to consume calories than to burn the same number of calories off, however. The adage "you can't outrun a bad diet" still applies.

And it helps to consider that a calorie not consumed is a calorie you don't have to burn. It's a lot like helping a person get out of debt, the first and easiest measure to take is to stop digging the hole deeper, since a dollar not spent is a dollar that you don't have to pay back.

• Michaelxyz2
    Michaelxyz2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Shockingly self-serving of the Coca Cola folks! Just like all those studies that used to tell us how cigarettes weren't really all that dangerous. Obviously, weight is a factor of consumption, exercise and metabolism, so exercise is important. As for me though, I can't imagine walking for an hour just so I can go home and down a sugar-laden Coke and negate all that benefit. Will either go with water or the diet drinks.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I know I look better when I'm exercising regularly, plus I get to eat more. It makes it much easier to lose weight for me. But that's on top of the calorie reduction.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Just remember who is financing the study -- Coca Cola. They have been working hard for years to convince the public that it is "lifestyle," i.e., being sedentary that is more responsible for overweight, thus deflecting their own responsibility in pushing sugary soft drinks on the public, particularly on children and young people. Remember, Coke even sponsors athletic events! I've worked for years instructing students in research and writing argument and cause and effect essays. One of the articles I had used was from a 2009 columnist recommending a soda tax to stem the tide of childhood obesity; in response, a nutritionist wrote a letter claiming that soft drinks were not responsible for obesity, but other lifestyle choices, particularly not exercising. The class then looked at the "nutritionist"'s credentials. She worked for the American Beverage Association, the very powerful lobby of which Coca Cola is a major member.

At this point, Coca Cola probably going into a higher level defense mode because the sale of soft drinks is dropping by about 3% a year because more people are now more conscious of how many empty calories they are consuming when they drink those products. I have friends who don't even buy soda for their kids anymore, either at home or when eating out.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    It's a shame the OP neglected to actually cite his sources since he says that the information he "heard about" is the reason he started this thread.

It also appears that linked editorials reported on today (and I suppose are what the OP is referring to) aren't actually claiming that exercise is more important than diet. The discussion is focused on the impact of funding sources on research about exercise versus diet - specifically Coca-Cola's efforts to prop up their declining sales of soda by trying to promote exercise rather than dietary changes for weight loss.

I think that's an entirely different discussion than what the OP presented. And frankly it would have been more interesting than re-hashing the "diet is more important than exercise for achieving weight loss" information which has been confirmed many times over.

Cite his sources?? He said he saw it briefly on tv. Geez, you can't allow someone to simply start a conversation?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    Just remember who is financing the study -- Coca Cola. They have been working hard for years to convince the public that it is "lifestyle," i.e., being sedentary that is more responsible for overweight, thus deflecting their own responsibility in pushing sugary soft drinks on the public, particularly on children and young people. Remember, Coke even sponsors athletic events! I've worked for years instructing students in research and writing argument and cause and effect essays. One of the articles I had used was from a 2009 columnist recommending a soda tax to stem the tide of childhood obesity; in response, a nutritionist wrote a letter claiming that soft drinks were not responsible for obesity, but other lifestyle choices, particularly not exercising. The class then looked at the "nutritionist"'s credentials. She worked for the American Beverage Association, the very powerful lobby, of which Coca Cola is a major member.

Who funded the research that came up with the idea of taxing the items?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    It still comes down to CI<CO for weight loss. You can manipulate either side to maintain that balance, but it comes down to what you can sustain.

This. I really don't understand this debate about what's more important. Clearly it depends on the individual, how the individual responses to the exercise, what the individual finds easier to sustain, so on.

My perception is that when I exercise I am more likely to eat well. When I stopped exercising in the past I gained weight, since I did not adjust my calories (I was not thinking about calories at the time). But I also think the fact I stopped exercising was related to an overall loss of motivation, not that it caused the loss of motivation, so who knows.

It's helpful to me now that I am thinking more about calories, so that if something happens that affects my exercise I will be able to cut back calories appropriately, unlike what I did before. It's also a LOT faster to lose weight by controlling my diet as well as my exercise, rather than just exercising more and seeing what happens. This is so even though did lose a good bit of weight eating at or near my maintenance level if sedentary.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Cutting 500, 1000, or more calories from my intake was exponentially easier than trying to burn a legitimate 500, 1000, or more calories every single day would have been.

I don't think it's either/or, but it takes a pretty substantial amount of effort to burn enough calories to offset even pretty modest eating. It wouldn't take all that many extra calories before it just wasn't feasible for someone without hours of free time every day. I think that's why diet is more important, even if it's not the only thing.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    For maintenance, exercise is most definitely more important than diet. During weight loss, it looks a little different because most people find it easier to create a calorie deficit through cutting calories than by exercise.

No, no. Maintenance is still all about CICO. I can work out sometimes, and do whenever I can, but there are times when I cannot. Those times, I still maintain my weight the same way I do when I can work out. I weigh my food, and log it, and stick to my calorie goals. It's just an adjustment when I do work out to eat back the exercise calories.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

\

You mean weight train that really doesn't burn a lot of calories?

Weights are not required to maintain LBM. Many activities can provide the necessary resistance and burn a lot of calories.