Saw Something On The News This Morning About Exercise Being More Important Than Diet

Options

Replies

• OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    chismmegan wrote: »
    I read about this too. They are just paying for this study to try and make it seem like sugary drinks aren't so bad. What else would you do if you had a 14% downfall?

I think I mentioned this in my original post.

my curiosity is about the study itself, and what other people think about that.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Something to think about: We are very good at losing weight. It doesn't require a study to tell us that if people want to lose weight, they just need to eat less. But the big elephant in the room is that even with us knowing what is required, most people aren't losing weight and many of those who do will not keep it off. If my understanding of this study is correct, they aren't looking at how to lose weight. Instead, they are looking at why people are gaining weight. If they can use Coca-cola's money to find an answer, that's great.

Just simple observation tells us that there are many people who gain weight without increasing the amount they eat. We have no problem saying that people gain weight once they reach adulthood because their bodies are no longer growing. A man in his twenties puts on weight while eating the same number of calories as he did when he was a teenager.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    A man in his twenties puts on weight while eating the same number of calories as he did when he was a teenager.
    BMR is scarcely different between a 50 year old man and a teenager, let alone a 20-something man and a teenager.
  • discnjh
    discnjh Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »

If you eat more calories than you burn, you're going to gain weight. Period. This is what most of us mean when we say that "you can't out-exercise a bad diet." Sure exercise makes the calories out part of the equation easier but the simple fact is, there are very few people who can afford, or are willing to invest, the time necessary to burn enough calories though exercise to counteract their excess intake or even more than that if they want to lose weight.

So then say that instead of "you can't out-exercise a bad diet" when I, as well as others, certainly do out-exercise what many would consider to be a "bad diet." Any sedentary person who ate what I eat would be eating a "bad diet" relative to their exercise level, and yet I out-exercise it on a consistent basis.

• mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Coca cola should expand their corporation. Only time I drink it is to splash it to top of liquor.
    Long Island Ice Teas! :)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    There are only so many ways to create a calorie deficit, and exercise is definitely a legitimate way to do it. *shrug*
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Exercise is for health. How much you eat and whether you are in deficit or not will cause a weight gain or weight loss.

I'm confused because this sounds like you are ignoring the CO part of the CICO equation.

I can't help you on your confusion.

It is CI/CO, some people can't exercise for whatever reasons, like injury, sickness or just don't like to exercise. I've had to take some exercise breaks because of surgery, but I still lose weight, because why?? I was in a deficit. Plain and simple.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    discnjh wrote: »
    I've never understood people trying to completely separate exercise and diet as being more or less important than the other for weight loss. You need a deficit. You can get that through, relative to maintenance, exercising more, or eating less. Or you can get that through eating more calories, but exercising in a way that burns even more calories. You can get that through reducing your exercise burns, as long as you reduce your intake even more.

Now, I certainly get people focusing on whichever method works best for them. But the whole "you can't out-exercise a bad diet" thing is kinda nonsense (from a weight loss perspective). You can. Are you likely to? Well, that may depend on how bad you mean by bad. But there's a while lot of eating you can out-exercise if you're willing to say, run 100 miles a week (not that I'd recommend that).
    Agreed.

It's very silly to try to separate the CI from the CO, as if they don't both count.

Weight loss happens in the kitchen, but it happens in the pool, too.
    It gives you a bigger deficit for which you are suppose to eat back on.
  • TimothyFish
    Options
    A man in his twenties puts on weight while eating the same number of calories as he did when he was a teenager.
    BMR is scarcely different between a 50 year old man and a teenager, let alone a 20-something man and a teenager.

There is a difference of 50 calories per day between a 15 year old and a 25 year old. It is a whole 175 calories per day between a 15 year old and a 50 year old. If a 25 year old ate the same amount as a 15 year old and they both did nothing but sat around on the couch all day, the 25 year old would gain more than five pounds in one year. The 50 year old would gain 18 pounds. So, I'm not sure I want to call it "scarcely different."

However, you make a good point. We often see teenagers eating significant amounts of food without gaining weight. I would think that is more than 50 calories per day more than the adult versions of themselves, yet we see people gain weight after reaching adulthood. If it isn't how much they are growing that makes them thin and it isn't because they are eating less than adults, then it has to be something else. The other thing that is different between thin teenagers and the fat adult version of themselves is that teenagers are involved in sports, band, and other activities, while the fat adults just sit on the sidelines watching their children participate.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I've never understood people trying to completely separate exercise and diet as being more or less important than the other for weight loss. You need a deficit. You can get that through, relative to maintenance, exercising more, or eating less. Or you can get that through eating more calories, but exercising in a way that burns even more calories. You can get that through reducing your exercise burns, as long as you reduce your intake even more.

Now, I certainly get people focusing on whichever method works best for them. But the whole "you can't out-exercise a bad diet" thing is kinda nonsense (from a weight loss perspective). You can. Are you likely to? Well, that may depend on how bad you mean by bad. But there's a while lot of eating you can out-exercise if you're willing to say, run 100 miles a week (not that I'd recommend that).
    Agreed.

It's very silly to try to separate the CI from the CO, as if they don't both count.

Weight loss happens in the kitchen, but it happens in the pool, too.
    It gives you a bigger deficit for which you are suppose to eat back on.

Riiiight, and eating those calories back allows me to eat a satisfying amount. Otherwise, to create a mere 250 calorie deficit at my height (and close to goal), I would currently only be able to eat 1190 calories. No thank you!! So I exercise and eat back an average of 200-300 calories a day. Exercise is crucial in allowing me to eat enough while staying in deficit. I would have quit a long time ago without it!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    The studies coming out about maintenance showing nearly complete overlap between significant exercise and long term weigh management are telling.

In theory, not necessary. In practice? Maybe a different story.

Could also just be that the people who successfully maintain also realize that exercise is good for you, apart from the calories it burns.
  • stevencloser
    Options

At some point though, the exercise burns you'd have to achieve on a daily basis are just not doable. It's really easy eating 1000 or more over your maintenance. It can be done in the span of a few minutes. To exercise that away takes hours of exercise, and that daily if you're over your maintenance by that much daily.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »

If you eat more calories than you burn, you're going to gain weight. Period. This is what most of us mean when we say that "you can't out-exercise a bad diet." Sure exercise makes the calories out part of the equation easier but the simple fact is, there are very few people who can afford, or are willing to invest, the time necessary to burn enough calories though exercise to counteract their excess intake or even more than that if they want to lose weight.

What you see more often is people who don't understand CICO doing 30 minutes of some exercise DVD, burning ~150-200 calories in the process, and then drinking a quart of Gatorade (230 calories) after. Or then having some treat because they've "earned" it though exercise. They then wonder why they are still gaining weight even though they are exercising.

The fact that some people eat more when they exercise and negate the CO really isn't relevant to what can be done. Don't statistics show that the average adult gains 5-10 lbs per year? That's overeating by < 100 calories per day. For those people, it would be very easy to create a deficit through exercise with absolutely no changes in diet.
  • jokoh92
    jokoh92 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I thought so too before I realized I wasn't getting anywhere with eating way over my calorie limit while burning almost 1000 calories a day. The saying is so true...you can't outrun a bad diet.

It just isn't realistic or going to happen unless you're an athlete or training for a marathon or just have a fast metabolism which I unfortunately don't have.

While I don't think exercise is more important or less important than proper nutrition, I do believe exercise goes hand in hand with proper nutrition. You can't just eat healthy and expect to have a fit body. You can get lean but you will be lean with little to no muscle mass. And you can't be lean without losing excess fat through proper diet.

Some people think skinny=fit but it doesn't. Skinny=just eating at or under calorie goal
    Fit=lean with muscles, its a big difference

If you want both a lean body and a fit body, you have to do both. This has taken me five years to realize but at least I have arrived now lol.

• daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    The only study that interests me is the one of my 40+ years of weight loss experimenting on my body. I have found the following to be true. I can maintain weight with exercise only, but if I want to lose weight restricting caloric intake is essential. As I age, exercise makes eating at a deficit more pleasant and sustainable for the long term. In my 20's, I could lose weight eating a can of soft drink and a snickers bar for dinner, because I didn't have an overwhelming desire to eat anything again until 10 the next morning. In middle age not so much. Conclusion, increased exercise or not, I will not be adding a full sugared soft drinks into my day.
  • stevencloser
    Options

There is a difference of 50 calories per day between a 15 year old and a 25 year old. It is a whole 175 calories per day between a 15 year old and a 50 year old. If a 25 year old ate the same amount as a 15 year old and they both did nothing but sat around on the couch all day, the 25 year old would gain more than five pounds in one year. The 50 year old would gain 18 pounds. So, I'm not sure I want to call it "scarcely different."

However, you make a good point. We often see teenagers eating significant amounts of food without gaining weight. I would think that is more than 50 calories per day more than the adult versions of themselves, yet we see people gain weight after reaching adulthood. If it isn't how much they are growing that makes them thin and it isn't because they are eating less than adults, then it has to be something else. The other thing that is different between thin teenagers and the fat adult version of themselves is that teenagers are involved in sports, band, and other activities, while the fat adults just sit on the sidelines watching their children participate.

That is an average 15, 25 and 50 year old. The differences in BMR there are mostly due to foreseen LBM losses as you age which may not happen if you're paying attention to that.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Did it specifically say for weigh loss? Or did it perhaps say for maintaining a healthy weight? Could be the company spinning a particular study for their own ends, but the actual conclusion of any study is in the details that often get overlooked in popular reporting.
  • TimothyFish
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    The studies coming out about maintenance showing nearly complete overlap between significant exercise and long term weigh management are telling.

In theory, not necessary. In practice? Maybe a different story.

Could also just be that the people who successfully maintain also realize that exercise is good for you, apart from the calories it burns.

You're right, that could be. But if that's the case, I would like to see a study that looks at that. It seems more logical to conclude that exercise encourages successful maintenance than that successful maintenance encourages people to exercise.