Which lifting program is the best for you?

Options

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Aw0627 wrote: »
    I have a question if anyone could answer it I'd appreciate it, It's probably a dumb question but I'm trying to figure out how much I should be lifting, I want to lift heavy but I'm not exactly sure how heavy is heavy if that makes sense. I have a pair of 5lbs I know these are not heavy, a pair of 10lbs and one 16 pound weight. I just got the 10 lbs and I'm struggling with them(yes, I know I'm very weak), but at the same time, I'm wondering if they are heavy enough.

How do you know what's heavy enough? From what I've read you should be able to perform at least 6 reps without losing form but you're supposed to struggle right?

I'd say if you can do 10 reps easily, it's time to add weight. Lifting heavy is progressive. At first, 10 pounds is heavy. Then it gets easier. So you go up to 15 pounds and do less reps. Those reps get easier, so you add reps. Ten reps are easy, so you jump to 20 lbs. Rinse and repeat.

Okay, so lifting heavy is whatever is heavy for you peronally at that time, thank you for the answer!

Exactly! :)
  • Aw0627
    Aw0627 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have another question, I don't have a barbell but I want to do the stronglifts program can I just use my dumbbells? Would I still get results?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have another question, I don't have a barbell but I want to do the stronglifts program can I just use my dumbbells? Would I still get results?

You could use dumbbells but it will present a limitation based on grip strength. You could start wih one of the dumbbell routines simce that is the equipment you have.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts as a program also has 5 lb increases on each workout.

You really have that many dumbbells?

Obviously don't have to ramp up that fast, but even then ..... ditto's to comment above.
  • PikaJoyJoy
    PikaJoyJoy Posts: 280 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Stronglifts as a program also has 5 lb increases on each workout.

You really have that many dumbbells?

Obviously don't have to ramp up that fast, but even then ..... ditto's to comment above.

There are also different variations that can make certain exercises harder (whether dumbbell or even just bodyweight).

But I do agree there are limitations but I think if you're an absolute beginner and only have dumbbells - at least you can focus on form without feeling to pressured about upping the weight.

Although in that case I'd suggest going with some of the other programs that have been listed (like New Rules of Lifting, Nerdfitness, Strong Curves, All Pro, ICF, etc) since you aren't going to be able to load like the program pushes for the long run.

ETA: ICF is similar to Stronglifts and you'll end up running into the same issue but it does incorporate a few more exercises.

Also, if you don't mind spending money - Nia Shanks has a few routines that can easily deal with dumbbell substitutions.
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Ok so im looking for a good program to help me lose the body fat. I am already in a calorie deficit so im losing weight there and i am using my Peloton bike(riding 6 times a week).

I want to continue lifting weights but not get bulky.

Anyone know if this is possible? and if so, what program would help me achieve this.

The only equipment i have is a bench, Bowflex dumbells, curling bar and Peloton bike.
  • PikaJoyJoy
    PikaJoyJoy Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    raven56706 wrote: »
    Ok so im looking for a good program to help me lose the body fat. I am already in a calorie deficit so im losing weight there and i am using my Peloton bike(riding 6 times a week).

Anyone know if this is possible? and if so, what program would help me achieve this.

The only equipment i have is a bench, Bowflex dumbells, curling bar and Peloton bike.

Even though males have an easier time with gaining muscle, it still isn't as simple as "went to the gym for a month and got bulky."

Unless you're taking something that's messing with your testosterone levels, it'd be awhile before you'd reach that kind of goal and you'd have to do it on purpose.

If you look at the first page, there is a list of programs (most are free). You can easily adapt the routines to the equipment you have or substitute with bodyweight as needed.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    raven56706 wrote: »

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10638850/program-advice-help-looking-to-lift-weights-burn-fat-and-still-cycle
  • megs_1985
    megs_1985 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I have a question if anyone could answer it I'd appreciate it, It's probably a dumb question but I'm trying to figure out how much I should be lifting, I want to lift heavy but I'm not exactly sure how heavy is heavy if that makes sense. I have a pair of 5lbs I know these are not heavy, a pair of 10lbs and one 16 pound weight. I just got the 10 lbs and I'm struggling with them(yes, I know I'm very weak), but at the same time, I'm wondering if they are heavy enough.

How do you know what's heavy enough? From what I've read you should be able to perform at least 6 reps without losing form but you're supposed to struggle right?

It won’t be a number. It is what is heavy for you. So for example my program is 10-12 reps. So I start with 10lbs for example and if my form starts to fall apart at rep 11 then I know it’s heavy enough. So I will do all my sets at 10lbs and 10 reps then maybe next workout I’ll try to get to 12 reps per set. Once I can do 12 reps per set with 10lbs I will go up to 12lbs doing 10 reps per set. Maybe your program calls for a different number of reps or sets so follow that to determine your weight. Once your form starts to fail then that is heavy for you. Hope that makes sense. It takes some trial and error. The first few weeks my numbers were up and down as I tried out different weights.
  • Hottlieb
    Hottlieb Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Why isn’t Max-OT on the list? :'(
  • psuLemon
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Hottlieb wrote: »
    Why isn’t Max-OT on the list? :'(

I haven't heard of it, and it appears to be a typically bro-split
  • jc1961AA
    jc1961AA Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Quick question, I have started doing PPL, how long shall i stay on this program? Do you have to change your programme at some stage or just carry on? TIA
  • psuLemon
    Options
    jc1961AA wrote: »
    Quick question, I have started doing PPL, how long shall i stay on this program? Do you have to change your programme at some stage or just carry on? TIA

You can go until you stop making progress or you dont like it, pending it allows for adequate recovery, allows you to be consistent and addresses your goals.
  • amazsplendor
    amazsplendor Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    For Later.. thanks!
  • jc1961AA
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

You can go until you stop making progress or you dont like it, pending it allows for adequate recovery, allows you to be consistent and addresses your goals.

OK thank you, by progress i guess you mean lifting heavier, not body change progress? Correct?
  • psuLemon
    Options

OK thank you, by progress i guess you mean lifting heavier, not body change progress? Correct?

Correct.. lifting improvements. Body changes are more of a function of dieting, but body composition is improved through lifting.
  • jc1961AA
    Options

Correct.. lifting improvements. Body changes are more of a function of dieting, but body composition is improved through lifting.

Thank you!