Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fat Acceptance Movement

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    All I know is... there was a blog I used to read a lot of (out of morbid curiosity), written by a woman who was obese and into the FA movement. Almost every entry mentioned what she was eating, what she was going to eat, what she had recently eaten... it always made me think of that quote from Babe The Sheep-Pig by Dick King-Smith:

Pigs enjoy eating, and they also enjoy lying around most of the day thinking about eating again.

The skin discolouration, back issues, joint problems and issues maintaining hygiene certainly contradicted her whole thing about loving her size and defying the hate mail she was getting.

I'm not obese, but I enjoy eating and I spend a lot of time thinking about eating again. I find food to be intensely pleasurable, I love thinking about it, preparing it, reading about it, and watching people prepare it. If I had a blog, it would probably be about what I had eaten and what I was going to eat. And clearly I wouldn't be alone, as this is a common blog topic for people in every size range.

Not it is not! so please stop generalizing which seems to be another MFP mantra.

How are food blogs not common?
  • lemurcat12
    edited November 2016
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    I only care because being at an unhealthy weight (high or low) adds to the rising health insurance / medical costs that everyone -including people trying to be reasonably fit- usually pays for.

Starting a "movement" (ironic word choice...) to make it even more acceptable to be at an unhealthy weight is just pushing "Politically Correct" to the extreme.

Japan taxes and educates people who are at unhealthy weight levels.
    Every year everyone has blood work, measurements and the like checked and it is reported to the government.
    Those taxes help balance the drain on the public health insurance system in Japan.

Guess what? Japan has around a 5% obesity rate, and that includes sumo wrestlers.
    People in Japan are taught how to make healthy lifestyle choices and workplaces often help by making sure cafeteria menus are healthy or having mandatory exercise classes at the beginning of work shifts.
    This applies to foreigners (がいじん)living in Japan as well, I think.

They should do something like that here in the States, in my opinion.

Nope, DT wouldn't allow it. He will encourage people to eat McD while traveling in a fancy plane. >:)

Oh God. Here we go.

It can be let go. In fact, MFP rules would require it. ;-)

I do think it's easy enough to have healthy cafeterias and many places probably do. My old employer had what I'd consider a healthy in-house lunch available for $4. My current one has no lunch, except for a group thing every other Friday that isn't cafeteria like at all. (Sometimes it's more healthy than others.)
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    I only care because being at an unhealthy weight (high or low) adds to the rising health insurance / medical costs that everyone -including people trying to be reasonably fit- usually pays for.

Starting a "movement" (ironic word choice...) to make it even more acceptable to be at an unhealthy weight is just pushing "Politically Correct" to the extreme.

Every year everyone has blood work, measurements and the like checked and it is reported to the government.
    Those taxes help balance the drain on the public health insurance system in Japan.

Guess what? Japan has around a 5% obesity rate, and that includes sumo wrestlers.
    People in Japan are taught how to make healthy lifestyle choices and workplaces often help by making sure cafeteria menus are healthy or having mandatory exercise classes at the beginning of work shifts.

I they should do something like that here in the States, in my opinion.

How exactly do they make "healthy" cafeteria menus?

Probably emphasize vegetables and fruits served fresh or with minimal added sugars/oils, lean protein sources. Limited or no drinks with added sugars and no "junk food" like chips, candy, cakes, cookies, etc.

Also, probably offering a range of traditional Japanese foods in Japanese-sized portions, which is to say, it would fit in a Japanese bento box, and not an American igloo cooler. That sounds fabulous. I was lucky enough to snag an insanely delicious balsamic-glazed salmon with roasted butternut squash, barley risotto, and brussels sprouts at my cafeteria today (in appropriately robust portions...gotta get muh gainz) and there was no one in the feature line, but tomorrow it will be a huge trough of fried mac n cheese with a side of fried fries and there will be a ginormous line. They're not going to keep offering the "healthy" options if there is no support for them.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

Probably emphasize vegetables and fruits served fresh or with minimal added sugars/oils, lean protein sources. Limited or no drinks with added sugars and no "junk food" like chips, candy, cakes, cookies, etc.

Are you saying people can't become overweight by eating fresh vegetables and fruits and lean protein sources?
  • darciamoonz
    darciamoonz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't think anybody should be shamed for body size, BUT at the same time I cannot support the fat acceptance movement. Yes one can be healthy being overweight, but for how long? Extra weight is extra work on the body to carry around and extra work for the heart. How long does one think they can go on being overweight before it starts to cause health issues? It's an excuse to continue to bad habits and not get help ,and a bandaid to the growing issues with obesity worldwide, more so in countries that have become more westernized. Instead of fixing the problem and making more healthy food choices available and affordable, we've created an environment and an attitude that allows for this to continue albeit unhealthy in the long run. It's no secret that obesity is on the list of high mortality rates. The comorbidities and future health issues that may arise later on from the excess weight can be bought down and lives can be saved just by losing the excess pounds. I've worked in the O.R. and it's a lot harder to perform surgical procedures on overweight people even WITH longer instruments because there is the extra adipose tissue around organs to contend with. It's also more difficult and strenuous when trying to position them. To me it's saying it's okay to be a size that is not healthy and will kill you prematurely or have some other debilitating effect on you later on in life, we'll front the bill for your poor choices. I have family members who have been overweight since I can remember and as the years have gone by, they've gone from healthy to sickly. Weight and poor eating habits, which of course led to being overweight in the first place, has taken a great toll on them. From heart disease to joint issues and type 2 diabetes. It's sad
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    All I know is... there was a blog I used to read a lot of (out of morbid curiosity), written by a woman who was obese and into the FA movement. Almost every entry mentioned what she was eating, what she was going to eat, what she had recently eaten... it always made me think of that quote from Babe The Sheep-Pig by Dick King-Smith:

Pigs enjoy eating, and they also enjoy lying around most of the day thinking about eating again.

The skin discolouration, back issues, joint problems and issues maintaining hygiene certainly contradicted her whole thing about loving her size and defying the hate mail she was getting.

I'm not obese, but I enjoy eating and I spend a lot of time thinking about eating again. I find food to be intensely pleasurable, I love thinking about it, preparing it, reading about it, and watching people prepare it. If I had a blog, it would probably be about what I had eaten and what I was going to eat. And clearly I wouldn't be alone, as this is a common blog topic for people in every size range.

Not it is not! so please stop generalizing which seems to be another MFP mantra.

Maybe Gisel meant it's not common to mention food frequently
    /obsessively in a general blog (which was part of my original point), rather than it's not common to run a food-based blog. That's how I'm reading their comment.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Are you saying people can't become overweight by eating fresh vegetables and fruits and lean protein sources?

I was responding to a question as to what would be considered healthy food choices at a cafeteria. I believe if you look at what is labeled by the operator as healthy would include the items I mentioned.

Can people become fat eating just these items, sure, calories in vs calories out. I'm not looking up scientific proof now, but it would be my opinion that people who chose the type of foods listed for 85-90% of their average daily calories have fewer issues with weight than those that don't.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

I was responding to a question as to what would be considered healthy food choices at a cafeteria. I believe if you look at what is labeled by the operator as healthy would include the items I mentioned.

Can people become fat eating just these items, sure, calories in vs calories out. I'm not looking up scientific proof now, but it would be my opinion that people who chose the type of foods listed for 85-90% of their average daily calories have fewer issues with weight than those that don't.

It was explained that a "healthy" cafeteria menu contributes to a 5% obesity rate. I'm not convinced. Perhaps I'm one of the 5% that is able to exceed maintenance calories quite easily even while eating fresh fruits and vegetables and lean protein sources... except I'm not convinced that is limited to 5% of the population.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I can take responsibility for myself, my health, to the best of my ability.
    That I have done, and really, that''s all anyone can do.
    I don't support bad anything, as far as I know.
    I was never obese. I don't shame or even mention overweight or obesity to anyone and wouldn't start, no matter what it costs in health care.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Wait, you *disagree* that food is a common topic online? There are thousands and thousands of food bloggers and they come in many different sizes. That's just a fact, I'm not generalizing about anyone.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

/obsessively in a general blog (which was part of my original point), rather than it's not common to run a food-based blog. That's how I'm reading their comment.

I think a "general blog"--like not on any particular topic--seems a lot less common than a themed one, and as the other poster said I think blogging about food is quite common. The ones I am aware of aren't by overweight people, even, although I also agree with the other poster that likely there are some from people of all sizes.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

It was explained that a "healthy" cafeteria menu contributes to a 5% obesity rate. I'm not convinced. Perhaps I'm one of the 5% that is able to exceed maintenance calories quite easily even while eating fresh fruits and vegetables and lean protein sources... except I'm not convinced that is limited to 5% of the population.

Japan has a 5% obesity rate. Food in some cafeterias being limited to healthy choices may contribute a bit but I'm pretty sure cultural and other factors are the main drivers for the low rate.

I do believe though if you did the analysis people who eat 85-90 % of their calories from healthier, nutrionally denser foods have lower rates of obesity.

• lemurcat12
    Options

Oh, and I am not a big FB person, but from my knowledge of FB talking about food is reasonably common too, again not particularly from overweight people. (Personally, I was much less likely to talk about food publicly when fat since I expected that others would be snarky, but see people talking about what they eat all the time. Maybe I just know lots of foodies, dunno.)
    3474449k Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I don't care about other people's choices. I only know about me. I know how unhealthy it is for me to be overweight and how much more difficult it is to have energy, feel good, buy clothes etc. I've noticed the older I get the harder it is to feel well. I have been fat and have family and friends who are fat. I love them and we enjoy each other. BUT you will never convince me that it is a healthy lifestyle. It's like everything else in life, you make choices and those choices have consequences. You have to decide which ones you want to live with. Life is not fair. One of the consequences is that the fatter you are, the more people there are who will make judgments and have assumptions about you, and the unhealthier you will be. Let me ask this: How many of you would want to date someone morbidly obese if you weren't and why. I have friends in all kinds of lifestyles, but I sure do worry about the ones who are extremely heavy.