Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Workout on an EMPTY stomach or after EATING?

Options

Replies

• fatgiraffe2
    fatgiraffe2 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I recently started a new home workout routine. With my old one I worked out about an hour after eating. Today I got out of bed and did my routine on an empty stomach and had to stop half way through because I was going dizzy. I felt really nauseous when I completed my circuit so I guess I need to eat before hand.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    I recently started a new home workout routine. With my old one I worked out about an hour after eating. Today I got out of bed and did my routine on an empty stomach and had to stop half way through because I was going dizzy. I felt really nauseous when I completed my circuit so I guess I need to eat before hand.
    This happens to me too. When I can, I need to eat beforehand, but sometimes I don't have time for so much as a swig of water first. I know that's not good but it's true.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I prefer to not have eaten for at least two hours before hand. A couple instances of pushing too hard and getting nauseous on a semi full stomach. I will NEVER eat citrus before a workout again.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    KittyVida wrote: »
    I was having this debate with a male friend. After much research I learned that it is best for MEN to workout on empty while WOMEN should eat a little something. Our bodies process differently. But in the end, you should do what you best perform by.

So the question is: Which have you been doing and why do you prefer it?

What's the source of this information?

@singingflutelady

Falsebook perhaps?
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Always on an empty stomach, first thing in the morning. I absolutely cannot workout with any food in my stomach.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Morning exercise - before breakfast
    afternoon exercise - before dinner
    evening exericse - before bed
    I don't like to exercise on a full stomach, but do feel ok cleaning up from making and eating the meal.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Depends on the activity, for me. Running or swimming first thing in the morning I prefer to do fasted (although on the weekend if I have time I usually prefer to eat a little something and wait a bit). Biking or weights I prefer to eat first. Later in the day it doesn't matter -- mainly I don't like to eat immediately before running unless it's just a banana or yogurt.
  • MarlowJo13
    MarlowJo13 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I defiantly eat! I find working out on an empty stomach makes me dizzy
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Both, I usually do 2 fasted workouts and 1 fed workout each day.
  • JustaJoe00
    JustaJoe00 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I used to work out with food in my stomach or not too long after a meal....i've found now i really don't like working out with food in my stomach....things can change also, i'm sure, with age....:p
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    KittyVida wrote: »
    I was having this debate with a male friend. After much research I learned that it is best for MEN to workout on empty while WOMEN should eat a little something. Our bodies process differently. But in the end, you should do what you best perform by.

So the question is: Which have you been doing and why do you prefer it?

I eat a protein bar pre and post work out and usually have a liter of water or BCAA's during a work out. Works for me. I've tried fasted cardio and lifting to no avail and I always end up shaky and nauseated.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Is that based on this: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3388628/Men-exercise-eating-women-burn-fat-scientists-reveal.html

If I am walking, running for less than 40 minutes, or lifting upper body first thing in the morning, I will do it before breakfast. I prefer to lift lower body later in the day, not because I can eat beforehand but because I feel more loose/warmed up at that time.

Bottom line, my choice for fasted vs unfasted comes down to what is convenient for me as opposed to what burns more/less fat.
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    It depends for me. Sometimes I'll eat a little something before a run, some I don't. It also depends on the distance too. If I'm scheduled for a longer run of 7 miles or more, I'll eat something during the run.
  • epac0127
    epac0127 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Me and my boyfriend always have this argument. He will want to eat something heavy before a workout. He lifts and I do mainly cardio. So I think in our situation it's easy for him. If I even think about food before a workout I get nauseous.