Is It Over Yet? The Perimenopause Thread

Options

Replies

• Misnomer971
    Misnomer971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I don't have a cycle anymore; perimenopause broke it. :lol: Increased appetite was never an issue for me before perimenopause began three years ago, and I didn't notice anything during my last "real" period in October (which was 3 weeks after I started an LCD, so it would have made sense to feel hungry then). This is a new symptom/side effect for me.

Yay. ;)
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    yayamom3 wrote: »
    So yesterday, I tried to make my kids some beer bread, which I've made hundreds of times and is seriously a no-brainer. Or so I thought. I first made a double batch, then realized I had used cornstarch instead of baking powder. Threw the dough out. I made the next batch, only I couldn't remember how many cups of flour I had added. I decided to add one more cup, and the dough seized up. Dang! Threw that batch out. Finally four cans of beer, a sink full of dishes and multiple curse words later, I managed to bake one loaf of the easiest bread on earth. I'm chalking this one up to perimenopause.

HA! Brain farts are the new black! I sometimes try to use my key remote for the car to open the door to the house. Also I once poured milk instead of water. Good times!
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    I've had the hunger thing too, a couple of times. One day a few months back I was absolutely ravenous and wanted to just eat all day - it was tough to keep in check! I enquired of my friends list and a couple of people asked if it was ToM, but since I hadn't felt any other symptoms I didn't think anything of it. Then a couple of days later I got some bleeding. I've seen it one or two other times as well, when I suddenly feel like I'm starving for a day or two and then I get a period of some kind soon after. It only lasts a short time, but it seems to be related!

I'll have to consider the "peanut butter solution" next time it happens and see if that makes any difference. :)

I have hared about people stirring a spoonful of peanut butter into a bowl of oatmeal and somehow it is some magical cure for crazy hunger. I always want to try it but for the life of me I can't get a jar of peanut butter and oat meal to be in my kitchen at the same time.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter solution... :D I REALLY have to try that. :D
    Options
    Sounds like a million dollar idea! I can see the books hitting the shelves now, "Hungry? Can't lose weight? Going through menopause or peri-menopause? Try the peanut butter solution and get results FAST!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    yayamom3 wrote: »
    So yesterday, I tried to make my kids some beer bread, which I've made hundreds of times and is seriously a no-brainer. Or so I thought. I first made a double batch, then realized I had used cornstarch instead of baking powder. Threw the dough out. I made the next batch, only I couldn't remember how many cups of flour I had added. I decided to add one more cup, and the dough seized up. Dang! Threw that batch out. Finally four cans of beer, a sink full of dishes and multiple curse words later, I managed to bake one loaf of the easiest bread on earth. I'm chalking this one up to perimenopause.

Oh I SO know how you feel!
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a million dollar idea! I can see the books hitting the shelves now, "Hungry? Can't lose weight? Going through menopause or peri-menopause? Try the peanut butter solution and get results FAST!

Sounds as feasible as any other diet book I've seen... perhaps more so! I hope you mention us in the acknowledgements! :)
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I *think* I just officially skipped my first cycle. At least that's what a negative pregnancy test is telling me. But I have been craving carbs HORRIBLY for the last week and a half. I was technically due on 12/28. How on earth do I get these carb cravings to go away? Normally, they would go away as soon as my cycle started. But with it not starting they're killing me. I HAVE to be lower carb for a number of health reasons and this is really screwing me up with staying within my calorie limit. How does one get past this initial first missed cycle where the PMS symptoms aren't going away?

I'd rather be pregnant............ :D Seriously. And everyone in my house is still hoping that's the case, but at 46 I'm kind of highly doubting it. :|
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I hate to tell you this @ronjsteele1 , but if you're perimenopausal, carb cravings are going to to be the least of your problems.

Brain fog: I put the remote in the fridge the other day...
  • ronjsteele1
    Options
    I hate to tell you this @ronjsteele1 , but if you're perimenopausal, carb cravings are going to to be the least of your problems.

Is that kind of like when I put my husbands hot breakfast in the refrigerator instead of the oven to keep it warm? :D

Is nausea a normal peri-menopausal thing? I was working out this morning and just started feeling nauseated as all get out. I NEVER have had that happen. Ugh.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

Is that kind of like when I put my husbands hot breakfast in the refrigerator instead of the oven to keep it warm? :D

Is nausea a normal peri-menopausal thing? I was working out this morning and just started feeling nauseated as all get out. I NEVER have had that happen. Ugh.

I think so. There was lots of talk up thread about dizziness & vertigo, so it only stands to reason there could be unexpected bouts of nausea as well (as long as you know nothing else is going on... maybe you'd better retake that pregnancy test ;) )
  • ronjsteele1
    edited January 2017
    Options
    try2again wrote: »

I think so. There was lots of talk up thread about dizziness & vertigo, so it only stands to reason there could be unexpected bouts of nausea as well (as long as you know nothing else is going on... maybe you'd better retake that pregnancy test ;) )

LOL. I will be! We decided to wait ten more days and retake it just to make sure. I never have dizziness or vertigo otherwise. I don't even ever really get morning sickness other then a little bit in the beginning feeling like I'm going to get sick and that's it. Argh.
  • try2again
    Options

LOL. I will be! We decided to wait ten more days and retake it just to make sure. I never have dizziness or vertigo otherwise. I don't even ever really get morning sickness other then a little bit in the beginning feeling like I'm going to get sick and that's it. Argh.

My 48 year old husband has a 20 year old brother that his mom had at 48... just sayin' ;)
  • ronjsteele1
    Options

My 48 year old husband has a 20 year old brother that his mom had at 48... just sayin' ;)

Oh, my crew would be thrilled to pieces! Ours begged us to have more for many years. My youngest is 15 and my husband is about to turn 57. :o Oh well. I guess we wait and see if peri-menopause does in fact cause nausea. :p
  • try2again
    Options

Oh, my crew would be thrilled to pieces! Ours begged us to have more for many years. My youngest is 15 and my husband is about to turn 57. :o Oh well. I guess we wait and see if peri-menopause does in fact cause nausea. :p

Better you than me! (A LOT better! :) )
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    I had a baby boy when my first two boys were 15 and 17 years old.
  • ronjsteele1
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    I had a baby boy when my first two boys were 15 and 17 years old.

I love this! Well, for now we wait because while I have lots of symptoms, it seems a lot of those symptoms are similar to peri-menopause symptoms. The nausea has me stumped but oh well. I'll see what next week brings.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options

It is for me ... dizziness and nausea.

Often in the 2-3 days leading up to a period and first day of a period ... I go through waves of dizziness, then I feel nauseated for a while, then more dizziness, then I'm OK for a bit, and then it's back. I have a box of ginger tablets in my desk drawer, another one at home, and a sheet of them in my backpack. They do help somewhat.

Just recently, I've also started experiencing dizziness and nausea connected with hot flashes. Had to go home from a party early because I couldn't stand up just recently. And no, I did not have any alcohol to drink ... I haven't touched alcohol in over a year. I had been going through minor hot flashes during the day, and then a big one hit and pretty much knocked me over. Then there were minor ones for the next 24-hours or so.

• try2again
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

I had been going through minor hot flashes during the day, and then a big one hit and pretty much knocked me over. Then there were minor ones for the next 24-hours or so.

So, like earthquakes then? ;)