Is It Over Yet? The Perimenopause Thread

Options

Replies

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    As I was lying awake last night with abdominal pain & feeling like I was going to crawl out of my skin, I started wondering, "How do women do this?" I mean, the surgeons, heads of state, police officers, air traffic controllers, any other long-hour, high-stress job- how do they do it with the intense physical distractions and mental fog? I am a SAHM and homeschool my kids, and I've been limping through my days. I have an appt with my ob/gyn this week to make sure there isn't anything else going on, and I'm worried because I think we're about the same age! :/
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    As I was lying awake last night with abdominal pain & feeling like I was going to crawl out of my skin, I started wondering, "How do women do this?" I mean, the surgeons, heads of state, police officers, air traffic controllers, any other long-hour, high-stress job- how do they do it with the intense physical distractions and mental fog? I am a SAHM and homeschool my kids, and I've been limping through my days. I have an appt with my ob/gyn this week to make sure there isn't anything else going on, and I'm worried because I think we're about the same age! :/

I do this also! My heart goes out to you if you have to deal with that sort of pain or discomfort it's an extra weight on your shoulders! I hope you can get relief from what every it may be!
  • try2again
    Options

I do this also! My heart goes out to you if you have to deal with that sort of pain or discomfort it's an extra weight on your shoulders! I hope you can get relief from what every it may be!

I consider myself fortunate. Our schedule is flexible, so I can work around bad days, and I can go lie down for a few minutes when I need to. I don't like that my kids comment how I never seem to feel good, but it's all the other women out there I'm worried about!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

I work full time and attend university part time ...

Fortunately, my symptoms don't occur every day. But when they do ... panadol and ginger tablets. Also evening primrose oil, valerian, magnesium, B12, Telfast and several other things like that. I'm a walking pharmacy at certain times of the month!!

• ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options

Third homeschool mom here. :)

One thing I haven't really seen mentioned just straight out is progesterone. So many of the symptoms that get talked about are symptoms of low progesterone. With the exception of hot flashes (although, it might help - one never knows), bio-identical progesterone very often will help with short cycles, long cycles, heavy bleeding (this especially!), PMS, bloating, etc. In order to get an accurate picture of whether you're low in progesterone or not you have to blood test your progesterone on days 19, 20 OR 21 of your cycle. Obviously, if you're not having regular cycles still then this becomes very difficult. But for those in peri still having cycles, it can't hurt to test your progesterone to see if there's any help by way of a bio-ident for a short time. Once I hit a certain point I will most definitely go back on bio-identical progesterone. It was a life saver after my 3rd child.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options

I am so terribly sorry to hear this. Please check in after your appointment and let us know what the doctor says, okay? I really feel for you.
  • try2again
    Options

One thing I haven't really seen mentioned just straight out is progesterone. So many of the symptoms that get talked about are symptoms of low progesterone. With the exception of hot flashes (although, it might help - one never knows), bio-identical progesterone very often will help with short cycles, long cycles, heavy bleeding (this especially!), PMS, bloating, etc. In order to get an accurate picture of whether you're low in progesterone or not you have to blood test your progesterone on days 19, 20 OR 21 of your cycle. Obviously, if you're not having regular cycles still then this becomes very difficult. But for those in peri still having cycles, it can't hurt to test your progesterone to see if there's any help by way of a bio-ident for a short time. Once I hit a certain point I will most definitely go back on bio-identical progesterone. It was a life saver after my 3rd child.

I have a friend who is also peri and this was the key for her as well. She had fallen into a deep depression (unusual for her), and combined with her other symptoms, the doctor put her on progesterone (no testing- just as a trial). I don't know if it was the bio-identical specifically, but I know she complained the one that works costs her a lot more. She said the difference was night & day.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

I heard the same thing. I can't do progesterone though, it just puts me immediately to sleep, lol (I had pills and shots during fertility treatments). But yeah, it's worth looking at.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Fortunately, my symptoms don't occur every day. But when they do ... panadol and ginger tablets. Also evening primrose oil, valerian, magnesium, B12, Telfast and several other things like that. I'm a walking pharmacy at certain times of the month!!

Just saw a new gynaecologist who confirmed that I absolutely cannot use any hormones at all whatsoever. No Mirena, no creams with a tiny bit of oestrogen in them, nothing.

If the hot flashes get bad enough that they are affecting my job, we'll try a serotonin-based tablet. But he doesn't want to get me going on that until I can't sleep at nights and have trouble working.

However, I would definitely suggest seeing your gynaecologist and having a good chat about options.

• try2again
    Options

If the hot flashes get bad enough that they are affecting my job, we'll try a serotonin-based tablet. But he doesn't want to get me going on that until I can't sleep at nights and have trouble working.

Well, there's something to aspire to! :(

• LAWoman72
    Options
    I am really afraid of hormones. I do horribly on them. I tried progesterone at one point and I was a screaming, weeping beast.

Ugh, you guys. So tired today and so achy. Still nothing...I am hanging in there. Nothing else to do, really. :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I heard the same thing. I can't do progesterone though, it just puts me immediately to sleep, lol (I had pills and shots during fertility treatments). But yeah, it's worth looking at.

I take my Prometrium, a bio-identical progesterone, at bedtime :dizzy:
  • kshama2001
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    I am really afraid of hormones. I do horribly on them. I tried progesterone at one point and I was a screaming, weeping beast.

Ugh, you guys. So tired today and so achy. Still nothing...I am hanging in there. Nothing else to do, really. :)

I had negative side effects from synthetic progesterone but not from Prometrium, a bio-identical progesterone.
  • kshama2001
    Options

I have a friend who is also peri and this was the key for her as well. She had fallen into a deep depression (unusual for her), and combined with her other symptoms, the doctor put her on progesterone (no testing- just as a trial). I don't know if it was the bio-identical specifically, but I know she complained the one that works costs her a lot more. She said the difference was night & day.

I was getting mine from Thailand at one point but I can now get it directly through the VA so it's $9 per month. Thank you Uncle Sam.

When my dog had cancer I did a lot of shopping around for his drugs and was amazed at the fluctuations in prices. I'll never get meds at a vet again - got the prescription and bought it elsewhere after price comparing. The vet wanted to charge us $75 for something carried at WalMart for $4 and at an independent pharmacy for $7 >.<
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Does bio-identical progesterone cream affect you the same way progesterone pills do? I can't take prometrium pills. They make me crazy. I have to use something compounded for exactly what I need (vs pills that only come in certain dosages).
  • try2again
    Options

I am so terribly sorry to hear this. Please check in after your appointment and let us know what the doctor says, okay? I really feel for you.

Appt today. Turns out some of my symptoms may be related to a structural issue in addition to the pm. My doctor had a good laugh when she asked me how I was and I said, "I'm 48!" :/

Sorry you had a rough day, @LAWoman72 ! :(
  • Machka9
    Options

Is it over yet? Will it ever be over? Who knows...in the meantime...shout out if you're peri!

According to my newest gynaecologist, who I saw for the first time today, the whole perimenopause process takes approx. 10 years.

Based on what I told him about the last few years of my life, his best guess is that I was definitely into perimenopause in 2012. And based on the symptoms I was showing in 2012, I likely started perimenopause in about 2010.

10 years puts me at 2020 before the whole thing is complete ... in other words, I've gone a full 12 months with no period.

So he figures I've got about another 2 years of wonky strange frustrating periods left.

• stephanne13
    stephanne13 Posts: 212 Member
    Options

Is it over yet? Will it ever be over? Who knows...in the meantime...shout out if you're peri!

According to my newest gynaecologist, who I saw for the first time today, the whole perimenopause process takes approx. 10 years.

Based on what I told him about the last few years of my life, his best guess is that I was definitely into perimenopause in 2012. And based on the symptoms I was showing in 2012, I likely started perimenopause in about 2010.

10 years puts me at 2020 before the whole thing is complete ... in other words, I've gone a full 12 months with no period.

So he figures I've got about another 2 years of wonky strange frustrating periods left.

Geez Louse...that seems just a tad excessive, Mother Nature.
    Can we think about paring down a bit, maybe?!
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Just came across this. I have been doing a lot of digging on this perimenopause thing. There are so many crazy things that women experience.
    I removed this link because it seems to be asking people to pay to read the article. It does not ask me to pay nor do I subscribe. Not sure what the problem is. I copied and pasted what I could see of it below.
  • LAWoman72
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Oh, my thread came back!

More than four months since my last period now.

My water is still doing nutty things and I can only reasonably put it down to hormones and this roller coaster. Rings tight this morning for no discernible reason...On the plus side, I am less tired these past few days.