Is It Over Yet? The Perimenopause Thread

Options

Replies

• ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    I also read that hypoglycemia is common at this stage. Just if anyone seems to be having that going on also.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I am going to add, while I'm not "happy" about any symptoms others may have I am glad to see vertigo mentioned so much. I thought something was medically wrong with me for a very long time. I have found that this is the worst nearing my period. Aside for making sure to stay hydrated as inadequate fluids seem to make it worse, I find some simple neck stretches help a lot. I don't know if it's a psychological thing or if it really does something aside from obviously relaxing the neck muscles, but it helps me.

For a year or two I could tell when my period was about to start because I would get really dizzy for 2-3 days ... and then my period would start and I'd be dizzy that day too, and then the dizziness would go away. Every single month.

Fortunately that has died off now, and I only experience it maybe a couple times a year.

I did go to a Dr about it (a female Dr), and was told that she didn't know what it could be. Perhaps I was mistaken about the onset and perhaps the dizziness really started when my period started ... in which case it might be the loss of blood.

I informed her that I was not mistaken, I had been tracking it for months, and it always started 2-3 days before my period started. And although it did continue into the first day of my period, that was a light day, so loss of blood couldn't account for it.

Then I got ... well, perhaps it's hormones. You know hormones can do strange things sometimes.

Yeah, I know. I can't tell you how many times I've heard that from doctors when they don't have the foggiest why you're going through something.

Anyway, interestingly, when the dizziness eased up, it was replaced by hot flashes, night sweats, and wicked toe, feet, and calf cramps during the 2-3 days leading up to my period.

I'm not sure which is worse.

I am 44 & have always had, & still do, normal & regular periods. I've been following this thread closely & to say the least, it's been a bit mind blowing to read about the many symptoms. We always hear about the hot flashes, of course.
    I imagined it would be similar to Edith Bunker with hot flashes & mood swings...and then you just know. But... so many others. The night sweats, dizziness & vertigo, how long peri typically lasts, length of time between periods (I honestly had no idea that people went 6 mo., 1.5 yrs, or even longer between periods, yet still have them) etc.. I'm really shocked about how little I know of what to expect. I have to say that before I read this latest post to the end, I was sincerely thinking
    "Man, I hope someone explains what wicked toe is..." I did finish the sentence & wicked toe & leg cramps in no way sound thrilling. Whew.. I'm pretty sure that I will be making a point to be grateful for my periods from here on out while I can. It has definitely been an eye opener.

:)

I didn't put together the timing of the toe, feet, and leg cramps with my periods until my husband mentioned it. He made a point of knowing when my periods were due to start for his own self preservation?? :mrgreen: ... and after I had complained about the cramps a number of times, he mentioned that they seem to occur coinciding with my periods. Unhappily, my periods come about every 21 days now, so this happens quite frequently. My toes will stack on top of each other ... and let me tell you, it's painful!

But yes, even now when you start to do some research into perimenopause, most of the sites will tell you about hot flashes, mood swings, vaginal dryness, and lack of desire ... perimenopause, almost suspiciously from a male perspective. Symptoms that could affect the life of a man in some way. :expressionless:

But you don't hear about the dizziness or cramping or all the rest.

Here's one ... itching. Really deep agonising itching ... and again, same time as all the other stuff ... 2 or 3 days before my period starts and a day or two into the period.

Dear lord..... I hope mine don't get any closer together! Mine being from 21-25 days as it is. If my cycle shortens by even a couple of days I feel like all I will ever be is on my period! I do get some foot cramps and leg cramps now and then. I have't given any thought to that in relation to my period though. Maybe It's worth making a note of.

Mine were 28 days like clockwork, and 5 days maximum ... then they went down to about 21 days, give or take, and increased in length to about 10 days. One month recently I went something like 30 days between normal periods, but most of the time it's around the 20-22 day mark.

Those are my normal periods. Then I'll also spot mid-cycle for anywhere from 2 to 5 days.

If I can go 10 days with no spotting or menstruating or anything, it's great! I actually just reached that point today. 10 whole days with nothing. Maybe even I'll go 11 or 12 days this time! :)

Stress and excess exercise seem to trigger it. If I've got a big exam coming up ... there it is! If I'm in the middle of a 200 km randonnee (long distance bicycle ride) ... guess what!

And I never know when exactly any of it is going to start anymore, or how long it is going to last, so I carry supplies with me all the time, everywhere I go.

I have also given up swimming. Not that I did a lot of swimming, but when all this started roughly 2 years ago, I was swimming maybe about once a month or so. I don't think I've been in a pool or lake or ocean or any body of water in 2 years.

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Thank you for this thread. LAWoman, you are hilarious!

I am wondering what's up. I turn 52 in days and have never missed a period. Never had a FSH test -- not indicated; but weird stuff is going on.
    1) cold flashes.... it feels like hormonal thermal disregulation where I just cannot get my core temp up 24 hr before period starts. I'm cold generally, but this is different, to the bone cold. I dream of hot flashes.
    2) excess prostaglandins last month. What a pain. Haven't had that since my early 20's when my doc put me on BC to regulate that.
    3) 2 months before that, I had a freak 4lb bloat with back&ab pain. Didn't recognize myself in the mirror. It was so atypical for me, I went to GP after a week. Many tests. Clean bill of health. Big bill from radiologist. Embarrassed it was all about nothing (although metastasized liver cancer crossed my mind given pain location). Resolved upon ovulation.
    4) I have charted since 2008--mean, mode, variance, standard deviation. Went from 28 days like clockwork to 26 day average with greater variance. Like Sued0, I'm bored with periods. Ready for this show to be over.

LAWoman, I feel you. Maybe a cup of holiday Sleigh Ride tea? I wish I had more to offer. (((hug)))

@ahoy_m8 Can you elaborate on excess prostaglandins? What are the symptoms of this? What did you do for it?

Prostaglandins cause inflammation, contraction and pain. Any organ can synthesize them, as I understand it, and they are involved in monthly uterine shedding and also uterine contractions in labor. In excess, they cause inflammation, pain & contraction in other muscles, i.e. bowels.... so diarrhea, nausea, lightheadedness. I take 4 advil at once and then 2 more 6 hours later. When I was in my 20's, my OB advised BC to regulate that, and it worked.

How is this diagnosed? Is it a blood test?

In my case, no. It was after the actual episode, and my GYN diagnosed based on symptoms I described. Also, my understanding is that it would be uncommon (and not good) for prostaglandins to be in the blood stream. Unlike hormones synthesized in one organ (e.g. pituitary gland) that travel via blood to other tissues, prostaglandins are synthesized locally and ideally don't travel. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can clarify.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

I am wondering what's up. I turn 52 in days and have never missed a period. Never had a FSH test -- not indicated; but weird stuff is going on.
    1) cold flashes.... it feels like hormonal thermal disregulation where I just cannot get my core temp up 24 hr before period starts. I'm cold generally, but this is different, to the bone cold. I dream of hot flashes.
    2) excess prostaglandins last month. What a pain. Haven't had that since my early 20's when my doc put me on BC to regulate that.
    3) 2 months before that, I had a freak 4lb bloat with back&ab pain. Didn't recognize myself in the mirror. It was so atypical for me, I went to GP after a week. Many tests. Clean bill of health. Big bill from radiologist. Embarrassed it was all about nothing (although metastasized liver cancer crossed my mind given pain location). Resolved upon ovulation.
    4) I have charted since 2008--mean, mode, variance, standard deviation. Went from 28 days like clockwork to 26 day average with greater variance. Like Sued0, I'm bored with periods. Ready for this show to be over.

LAWoman, I feel you. Maybe a cup of holiday Sleigh Ride tea? I wish I had more to offer. (((hug)))

@ahoy_m8 Can you elaborate on excess prostaglandins? What are the symptoms of this? What did you do for it?

Prostaglandins cause inflammation, contraction and pain. Any organ can synthesize them, as I understand it, and they are involved in monthly uterine shedding and also uterine contractions in labor. In excess, they cause inflammation, pain & contraction in other muscles, i.e. bowels.... so diarrhea, nausea, lightheadedness. I take 4 advil at once and then 2 more 6 hours later. When I was in my 20's, my OB advised BC to regulate that, and it worked.

In my case, no. It was after the actual episode, and my GYN diagnosed based on symptoms I described. Also, my understanding is that it would be uncommon (and not good) for prostaglandins to be in the blood stream. Unlike hormones synthesized in one organ (e.g. pituitary gland) that travel via blood to other tissues, prostaglandins are synthesized locally and ideally don't travel. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can clarify.

In my case, no. It was after the actual episode, and my GYN diagnosed based on symptoms I described.

Hmm... with those types of symptoms, seems like you would have to be subjected to every test under the sun to rule out a lot of other things before any mention of prostaglandins. :(

• enuf2
    enuf2 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I've read about going on low dose birth control pills to help with symptoms such as heavy periods and cramps, bloating?
  • Misnomer971
    Misnomer971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hello, ladies! :) I'm 45 and was diagnosed about a year ago. My periods were regular and easy all my life until 2014, when I suddenly started skipping a month or two here and there. When the hot flashes started and I went 90+ days between periods I asked my doctor about it, and after ruling out a bunch of other things (PCOS, high testosterone, etc.) she did the hormone tests and said "yup, early perimenopause."

My periods are definitely getting fewer and further between: in 2014 I had 8, in 2015 I had 6, and so far this year I've only gotten my period 4 times. (I've kept track via spreadsheet since 1998. I have no idea what made me suddenly start at 27, but now it's great to have so much history!)

For me, the hot flashes are somewhat cyclical: I'll have them regularly for several months, then they stop, then they come back. It's all part of the "you no longer have any idea what your body is going to do or when!" fun. And by "fun" I mean "huge pain in the *kitten*." It's frustrating, and exceedingly unfair. And it pisses me off to think that I could have several years of this crap ahead of me. Unfortunately, I have no family data: my mom had a hysterectomy in her 30s and never went through this, and both of my grandmothers were dead by the time I would have wanted to ask them about it.

I've always had hormonal acne, and it has calmed down a great deal since I hit 40 but sometimes I will still get a small breakout and think I'm about to get my period but then I don't. That was always my only physical "warning sign": I never noticed bloating, tenderness, mood swings, etc. when I was younger. Some women friends say that early perimenopause is what I get for having 30+ years of short periods with no cramps. ;)

This is a difficult topic to discuss with those who aren't going/haven't gone through it, so I'm glad to find this thread!
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input, Misnomer. I agree with you. Never knowing is awful.

I don't get hot flashes at all but I continue to get PMS symptoms and then just no period. After that awful bout last week...nothing happened. The worst part was the hunger. I was terribly hungry. Really tired of this. I am on I think Day 111 or 112 now. I'd have to check but I know I'm right around there.
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Thanks for the input, Misnomer. I agree with you. Never knowing is awful.

I don't get hot flashes at all but I continue to get PMS symptoms and then just no period. After that awful bout last week...nothing happened. The worst part was the hunger. I was terribly hungry. Really tired of this. I am on I think Day 111 or 112 now. I'd have to check but I know I'm right around there.

The only things I have found that hold my hunger down is peanut butter and cutting my carbs way down on those days. Those two things seem to make a very big difference. I imagine the guessing game is very frustrating.
  • Machka9
    Options
    For me, the hot flashes are somewhat cyclical: I'll have them regularly for several months, then they stop, then they come back. It's all part of the "you no longer have any idea what your body is going to do or when!" fun. And by "fun" I mean "huge pain in the *kitten*." It's frustrating, and exceedingly unfair. And it pisses me off to think that I could have several years of this crap ahead of me. Unfortunately, I have no family data: my mom had a hysterectomy in her 30s and never went through this, and both of my grandmothers were dead by the time I would have wanted to ask them about it.

I know how you feel, and as for family history ... my mother also had a hysterectomy in her 30s, one grandmother had passed away when I was about 12 and when we asked my other grandmother, she looked kind of surprised and said, "One day I realised that it had been a very long time since I'd had a period, and that was that." She had no notable symptoms. I was encouraged by that ... but ... I'm not following in her footsteps.

I had one of my biggest, baddest hot flashes yet yesterday. I had done a 60 km, hilly bicycle ride to practice hill climbing and was a bit dehydrated. Plus I should have had some electrolytes. We'd gone out to a party and while I was standing there talking to people all of a sudden I went white (my husband said), I was drenched in sweat and felt like someone had cranked the heat up to 40 degrees, and became really dizzy and a bit nauseated. I had to sit down. The main flash was over in about 10 min, but the dizziness and nausea stuck around a while.

I suspect it was a combination of things, and I may have to start being really careful about hydration and electrolyte replacement.
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Oh boy. That sounds horrible.

As for your grandmothers, you're supposed to go by your maternal one, I think.

I had one glorious night of full uninterrupted sleep, and now I'm back to the waking up with them. I am taking heart from somethings some of the women at work told me, which was that the nature and character of them changes and they aren't always this bad.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I don't think I want to follow my maternal grandmother. She died in a mental asylum in her thirties.

My sister who is just eighteen months younger than me and practically my physiological twin, had a hysterectomy so I don't want to follow her either.

Fifteen years ago I had my uterine lining ablated which took care of the heavy periods. I still lean towards anemia so it's iron pills for me.

I am post menopausal now for about a year. It took long enough. Hot flashes are either calming down or I am getting used to them; every two hours like clockwork. Hair coarsened rather than thinned. Considering I started with very fine hair I'd say what I have now is an improvement.

I was worried about my memory lapses I thought I had a tumour or something then my smart boss told me about her "baby brain". Oh, duh. Just hormonal brain.

Overall, I came through pretty well unscathed. Weight loss may be a little more stubborn but CICO still applies. I have to wait a full monthly cycle to know what my real weight loss was.

I may have more aches and pains but I also have the maturity to avoid serious injury.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. I got a bone scan this week so I'll find out how I am doing in that department.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    enuf200 wrote: »
    I've read about going on low dose birth control pills to help with symptoms such as heavy periods and cramps, bloating?

My mother did that to help with all the other symptoms and they just kept her periods coming and coming. The month she stopped taking them was her very last period.

It's a catch 22 going the hormone route with all of this.

I opted to let things take their own course after her experience.
  • Misnomer971
    Misnomer971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I had one of my biggest, baddest hot flashes yet yesterday. I had done a 60 km, hilly bicycle ride to practice hill climbing and was a bit dehydrated. Plus I should have had some electrolytes. We'd gone out to a party and while I was standing there talking to people all of a sudden I went white (my husband said), I was drenched in sweat and felt like someone had cranked the heat up to 40 degrees, and became really dizzy and a bit nauseated. I had to sit down. The main flash was over in about 10 min, but the dizziness and nausea stuck around a while.
    OMG! Luckily my flashes have not had any accompanying dizziness or nausea. They are just sudden waves of intense heat, with body sweats. I turn into a human heater for about a minute. I certainly hope you never experience a flash that severe again!

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

In my case, no. It was after the actual episode, and my GYN diagnosed based on symptoms I described.

Hmm... with those types of symptoms, seems like you would have to be subjected to every test under the sun to rule out a lot of other things before any mention of prostaglandins. :(

According to Dr Christiane Northrup in "Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom", "beginning in the late 70's, studies have shown that women with cramps have high levels of the hormone prostaglandin F2 alpha."

So while issues with prostaglandins may sound unusual to you, it's actually not :)

I seem to recall high levels of prostaglandins also being associated with heavy bleeding, but the references in the book's index all go to cramps/PMS and I don't have the time to dig deeper.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I am going to add, while I'm not "happy" about any symptoms others may have I am glad to see vertigo mentioned so much. I thought something was medically wrong with me for a very long time. I have found that this is the worst nearing my period. Aside for making sure to stay hydrated as inadequate fluids seem to make it worse, I find some simple neck stretches help a lot. I don't know if it's a psychological thing or if it really does something aside from obviously relaxing the neck muscles, but it helps me.

I'm sort of surprised it's mentioned LESS in the mainstream media because most menopausal women I know has some sort of vertigo/off balance/light headed/weird headed feeling
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Wondering if anyone else is/has experienced these kind of symptoms with peri? I've started having episodes like this as well, after a lifetime of uneventful periods. Also, any bowel issues?

I had it two or three times and doc said it was ovarian cysts "resolving". Hurt like hell.
    Options

I'm sort of surprised it's mentioned LESS in the mainstream media because most menopausal women I know has some sort of vertigo/off balance/light headed/weird headed feeling

It's almost as if they WANT to keep us guessing! I especially hate it when doctors are so dismissive about these female issues. We deserve to be taken seriously.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

So while issues with prostaglandins may sound unusual to you, it's actually not :)

It's not that I thought it was unusual, it's just with symptoms like pelvic pain and bowel issues, I figure a doctor would want to rule out other things before diagnosing it. Maybe it's just the opposite, though. Maybe it's so common, they assume it's that and watch & wait.

• Machka9
    Options
    enuf200 wrote: »

Theoretically that should work for some.

I can't go that route at all ... DVT.