Is It Over Yet? The Perimenopause Thread

Options

Replies

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Just came across this. I have been doing a lot of digging on this perimenopause thing. There are so many crazy things that women experience.

nature.com/nrendo/journal/v11/n7/abs/nrendo.2015.82.html

Unless I'm missing something, it appears you have to pay for access to this article?
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    Just came across this. I have been doing a lot of digging on this perimenopause thing. There are so many crazy things that women experience.

Unless I'm missing something, it appears you have to pay for access to this article?

I did not have to pay. That's strange! Is it a popup asking you to pay?
    Options
    I just clicked on it to make sure and it did not ask me to pay to view the article.
  • try2again
    Options

I did not have to pay. That's strange! Is it a popup asking you to pay?

I can only read the intro, and it doesn't allow me to click on "read more". Down below it says you have to subscribe or purchase a copy to read the rest.
  • try2again
    Options
    I just clicked on it to make sure and it did not ask me to pay to view the article.

Do you subscribe to the website?
  • try2again
    Options
    Just tried it again. When I click on "view full text", the intro just comes up again and the box below says you need to be a subscriber to finish it.
    Options

I do not subscribe. I will copy and paste the article here though. I will make a note of that website and what it is doing, maybe I won't post any links from there anymore if that is what happens.

"Perimenopause is a midlife transition state experienced by women that occurs in the context of a fully functioning neurological system and results in reproductive senescence. Although primarily viewed as a reproductive transition, the symptoms of perimenopause are largely neurological in nature. Neurological symptoms that emerge during perimenopause are indicative of disruption in multiple estrogen-regulated systems (including thermoregulation, sleep, circadian rhythms and sensory processing) and affect multiple domains of cognitive function. Estrogen is a master regulator that functions through a network of estrogen receptors to ensure that the brain effectively responds at rapid, intermediate and long timescales to regulate energy metabolism in the brain via coordinated signalling and transcriptional pathways. The estrogen receptor network becomes uncoupled from the bioenergetic system during the perimenopausal transition and, as a corollary, a hypometabolic state associated with neurological dysfunction can develop. For some women, this hypometabolic state might increase the risk of developing neurodegenerative diseases later in life. The perimenopausal transition might also represent a window of opportunity to prevent age-related neurological diseases. This Review considers the importance of neurological symptoms in perimenopause in the context of their relationship to the network of estrogen receptors that control metabolism in the brain."

There ya go. That is all it has for me to red, not sure if that was what you were able to see or not.
    Options
    Now MFP is telling me my comments need to be "approved" before I can post? Seriously?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

I do not subscribe. I will copy and paste the article here though. I will make a note of that website and what it is doing, maybe I won't post any links from there anymore if that is what happens.

"Perimenopause is a midlife transition state experienced by women that occurs in the context of a fully functioning neurological system and results in reproductive senescence. Although primarily viewed as a reproductive transition, the symptoms of perimenopause are largely neurological in nature. Neurological symptoms that emerge during perimenopause are indicative of disruption in multiple estrogen-regulated systems (including thermoregulation, sleep, circadian rhythms and sensory processing) and affect multiple domains of cognitive function. Estrogen is a master regulator that functions through a network of estrogen receptors to ensure that the brain effectively responds at rapid, intermediate and long timescales to regulate energy metabolism in the brain via coordinated signalling and transcriptional pathways. The estrogen receptor network becomes uncoupled from the bioenergetic system during the perimenopausal transition and, as a corollary, a hypometabolic state associated with neurological dysfunction can develop. For some women, this hypometabolic state might increase the risk of developing neurodegenerative diseases later in life. The perimenopausal transition might also represent a window of opportunity to prevent age-related neurological diseases. This Review considers the importance of neurological symptoms in perimenopause in the context of their relationship to the network of estrogen receptors that control metabolism in the brain."

There ya go. That is all it has for me to red, not sure if that was what you were able to see or not.

That's the abstract. There's a research article after it, that costs money.
  • try2again
    Options

Yep- that's just the intro. Which was interesting & made me want to read more ;)
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    For those considering hormones, birth control pills contain a higher dose of hormones than traditional HRT. I stopped being able to tolerate hormonal birth control in my 30s. However, I have had no issues tolerating HRT and the improvement in energy levels and general quality of life has been significant. I have been on it for about two years at this point. The newer theories say it's better to go on it fairly early in the meno timeline. I'm on an estrogen patch (most are bio-identical) and synthetic progesterone. The only reason to go on BC pills over HRT is if you want to regulate your cycle. I have a very light period about every four months at this point, and that's acceptable to me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    This bears reposting:

http://www.34-menopause-symptoms.com

I strongly encourage women in peri- to read a couple of books, or at least spend time on a couple of good websites (like the north american menopause society).

Symptoms like: vertigo, low blood sugar, itchy skin.... all we ever really hear about is the eventual hot flashes.

Options
    Someone apparently flagged me for spam. I was making NO attempt at spam. Trying to share something I found interesting has turned into an absurd fiasco. I can't post with out approval now. So whatever. Anyone who is interested in the neurological aspect of perimenopause will hopefully find something else on it.
  • try2again
    Options
    Symptoms like: vertigo, low blood sugar, itchy skin.... all we ever really hear about is the eventual hot flashes.

Yes- I actually thought that since I haven't had hot flashes (yet) and my periods are still somewhat regular, that maybe that wasn't the issue. Never mind the dozens of other symptoms that I've had! ;)

• try2again
    Options
    Someone apparently flagged me for spam. I was making NO attempt at spam. Trying to share something I found interesting has turned into an absurd fiasco. I can't post with out approval now. So whatever. Anyone who is interested in the neurological aspect of perimenopause will hopefully find something else on it.

Maybe if you post a link to such a site, it automatically triggers something in the MFP system? No biggie to me- I didn't think you were promoting anything.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Now MFP is telling me my comments need to be "approved" before I can post? Seriously?

I had that a little while ago when I included a link to an article in one of my posts - might be some automatic spam-reduction thingy within MFP, as mentioned? *shrug* I didn't think you were being spammy either!

Been reading this thread for a while now but not commented on it yet, but there's some useful and interesting posts and links here! I never realised that some of the things I've been experiencing over the past few months might be related to perimenopause. (Memory and concentration issues I figured were just due to age and lack of actually using my brain lately! And I never would have thought dizziness and tingling fingers might have a hormonal cause.)

Thanks to everyone who's sharing their experiences here, it's very helpful!
  • try2again
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    Been reading this thread for a while now but not commented on it yet, but there's some useful and interesting posts and links here! I never realised that some of the things I've been experiencing over the past few months might be related to perimenopause. (Memory and concentration issues I figured were just due to age and lack of actually using my brain lately! And I never would have thought dizziness and tingling fingers might have a hormonal cause.)

Yes, Sue! I was actually becoming concerned about dementia because of the sudden, dramatic memory loss and how often I would find myself thinking in circles! That's why I was interested in the link above- I had no idea estrogen was so instrumental to our brain function.
  • try2again
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »

Yes, Sue! I was actually becoming concerned about dementia because of the sudden, dramatic memory loss and how often I would find myself thinking in circles! That's why I was interested in the link above- I had no idea estrogen was so instrumental to our brain function.

Obviously my brain wasn't working when I performed that quote! ;)
  • try2again
    Options
    Now I just don't know what's going on! ???
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Now I just don't know what's going on! ???

Must be the dementia! ;) Seriously, though, sometimes I question myself! I feel my brain shrinking sometimes I swear!