Is It Over Yet? The Perimenopause Thread

Replies

• DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    I am going to add, while I'm not "happy" about any symptoms others may have I am glad to see vertigo mentioned so much. I thought something was medically wrong with me for a very long time. I have found that this is the worst nearing my period. Aside for making sure to stay hydrated as inadequate fluids seem to make it worse, I find some simple neck stretches help a lot. I don't know if it's a psychological thing or if it really does something aside from obviously relaxing the neck muscles, but it helps me.

I completely understand, your issue; with vertigo! I had it approximately a month ago, for nearly 2 weeks; for the 1st time!
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    One thing I wanted to share, having come out the other side -- some oddness still goes on after your periods stop. I still had times where my body acted like it was trying to do something. My breasts would become incredibly, painfully tender and stay that way for weeks and I'd get all the lovely water weight gain.

I still have cyclical water weight shenanigans happening, along with the lovely bloating it brings, even though the accompanying breast pain has gone.

This is all still happening two and half years after my last period. The occasional hot flash still happens too. I've been dealing with them off and on for ten years.

Thank you for sharing this because I imagine that others will go through it too. While our doctors may not acknowledge it at least we'll know that these symptoms aren't necessarily abnormal (well, my current doctor wouldn't be understanding or acknowledging anyway :s).
  • I am going to add, while I'm not "happy" about any symptoms others may have I am glad to see vertigo mentioned so much. I thought something was medically wrong with me for a very long time. I have found that this is the worst nearing my period. Aside for making sure to stay hydrated as inadequate fluids seem to make it worse, I find some simple neck stretches help a lot. I don't know if it's a psychological thing or if it really does something aside from obviously relaxing the neck muscles, but it helps me.

I completely understand, your issue; with vertigo! I had it approximately a month ago, for nearly 2 weeks; for the 1st time!

Didn't it scare you?! I was convinced I had something serious going on! It also triggered panic attacks and anxiety. I have finally gotten used to it and now I know it's going to pass in a couple of weeks. I just have to try and ride it out.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    I am going to add, while I'm not "happy" about any symptoms others may have I am glad to see vertigo mentioned so much. I thought something was medically wrong with me for a very long time. I have found that this is the worst nearing my period. Aside for making sure to stay hydrated as inadequate fluids seem to make it worse, I find some simple neck stretches help a lot. I don't know if it's a psychological thing or if it really does something aside from obviously relaxing the neck muscles, but it helps me.

Didn't it scare you?! I was convinced I had something serious going on! It also triggered panic attacks and anxiety. I have finally gotten used to it and now I know it's going to pass in a couple of weeks. I just have to try and ride it out.

Oh definitely, I was anxious & panicky also! It was horrific, I even had bruises; from walking into things!
  • akmomof7
    akmomof7 Posts: 162 Member
    I am loving this thread! I'm 44 and in a weird combination of perimenopausal while also still waiting for my first post partum period after my twins were born 15 months ago. Add insomnia to toddlers waking up 2-3 times each, and I am a sleep deprived mess!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,804 Member
    I actually don't desire, for my cycle; to ever end because of naturally occurring estrogen! I am extremely fearful, of my bones deteriorating & getting fractures! Therefore I welcome all of the symptoms, of being even menopausal; instead of the fear of post menopausal's bone density!

Do you do weight bearing exercises?

• Machka9
    edited December 2016

For a year or two I could tell when my period was about to start because I would get really dizzy for 2-3 days ... and then my period would start and I'd be dizzy that day too, and then the dizziness would go away. Every single month.

Fortunately that has died off now, and I only experience it maybe a couple times a year.

I did go to a Dr about it (a female Dr), and was told that she didn't know what it could be. Perhaps I was mistaken about the onset and perhaps the dizziness really started when my period started ... in which case it might be the loss of blood.

I informed her that I was not mistaken, I had been tracking it for months, and it always started 2-3 days before my period started. And although it did continue into the first day of my period, that was a light day, so loss of blood couldn't account for it.

Then I got ... well, perhaps it's hormones. You know hormones can do strange things sometimes.

Yeah, I know. I can't tell you how many times I've heard that from doctors when they don't have the foggiest why you're going through something.

Anyway, interestingly, when the dizziness eased up, it was replaced by hot flashes, night sweats, and wicked toe, feet, and calf cramps during the 2-3 days leading up to my period.

I'm not sure which is worse.

• stephanne13
    stephanne13 Posts: 212 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »

For a year or two I could tell when my period was about to start because I would get really dizzy for 2-3 days ... and then my period would start and I'd be dizzy that day too, and then the dizziness would go away. Every single month.

Fortunately that has died off now, and I only experience it maybe a couple times a year.

I did go to a Dr about it (a female Dr), and was told that she didn't know what it could be. Perhaps I was mistaken about the onset and perhaps the dizziness really started when my period started ... in which case it might be the loss of blood.

I informed her that I was not mistaken, I had been tracking it for months, and it always started 2-3 days before my period started. And although it did continue into the first day of my period, that was a light day, so loss of blood couldn't account for it.

Then I got ... well, perhaps it's hormones. You know hormones can do strange things sometimes.

Yeah, I know. I can't tell you how many times I've heard that from doctors when they don't have the foggiest why you're going through something.

Anyway, interestingly, when the dizziness eased up, it was replaced by hot flashes, night sweats, and wicked toe, feet, and calf cramps during the 2-3 days leading up to my period.

I am 44 & have always had, & still do, normal & regular periods. I've been following this thread closely & to say the least, it's been a bit mind blowing to read about the many symptoms. We always hear about the hot flashes, of course.
    I imagined it would be similar to Edith Bunker with hot flashes & mood swings...and then you just know. But... so many others. The night sweats, dizziness & vertigo, how long peri typically lasts, length of time between periods (I honestly had no idea that people went 6 mo., 1.5 yrs, or even longer between periods, yet still have them) etc.. I'm really shocked about how little I know of what to expect. I have to say that before I read this latest post to the end, I was sincerely thinking
    "Man, I hope someone explains what wicked toe is..." I did finish the sentence & wicked toe & leg cramps in no way sound thrilling. Whew.. I'm pretty sure that I will be making a point to be grateful for my periods from here on out while I can. It has definitely been an eye opener.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    One thing I wanted to share, having come out the other side -- some oddness still goes on after your periods stop. I still had times where my body acted like it was trying to do something. My breasts would become incredibly, painfully tender and stay that way for weeks and I'd get all the lovely water weight gain.

I still have cyclical water weight shenanigans happening, along with the lovely bloating it brings, even though the accompanying breast pain has gone.

This is all still happening two and half years after my last period. The occasional hot flash still happens too. I've been dealing with them off and on for ten years.

Thank you for sharing this because I imagine that others will go through it too. While our doctors may not acknowledge it at least we'll know that these symptoms aren't necessarily abnormal (well, my current doctor wouldn't be understanding or acknowledging anyway :s).

Wow. It just keeps hanging around. You know, I hate to sound sexist but here goes anyway! I think this is one reason we need a female doctor at some point. Men think we're crazy or hypochondriacs or whatever. They tend to dismiss the things that happen in relation to menstruation or cessation of menstruation. I have heard, "Well there's no real medical research to prove THAT." Then they dismiss whatever the complaint is and don't want to do any type of investigation. A female dr seems more open to these wacky things the female body does.

This is funny in some ways for me. Since the day I married I've always had a male doctor. I prefer them by far for delivering my babies, my routine care, etc. UNTIL this year. With working on losing weight but especially being right in the middle of perimenopause I found myself not wanting to talk to my male doctor about either of those things. I switched to a woman - whom I can't stand BTW - but she has answered my questions honestly. We clash pretty much when it comes to what we believe about healthcare, weight loss, etc. but otherwise, she pretty much does what I tell her I want to do. My plan was to keep her until I get through or almost through menopause and the weight I want to lose and then go back to my male doctor. I really like him and he's way more in line with how I think, etc. Terrible, I know, but I don't feel too bad. The lady doc said she was retiring in 3yrs. I figure that's just about right for me to switch back. ;)
  • Machka9

I am 44 & have always had, & still do, normal & regular periods. I've been following this thread closely & to say the least, it's been a bit mind blowing to read about the many symptoms. We always hear about the hot flashes, of course.
    I imagined it would be similar to Edith Bunker with hot flashes & mood swings...and then you just know. But... so many others. The night sweats, dizziness & vertigo, how long peri typically lasts, length of time between periods (I honestly had no idea that people went 6 mo., 1.5 yrs, or even longer between periods, yet still have them) etc.. I'm really shocked about how little I know of what to expect. I have to say that before I read this latest post to the end, I was sincerely thinking
    "Man, I hope someone explains what wicked toe is..." I did finish the sentence & wicked toe & leg cramps in no way sound thrilling. Whew.. I'm pretty sure that I will be making a point to be grateful for my periods from here on out while I can. It has definitely been an eye opener.

:)

I didn't put together the timing of the toe, feet, and leg cramps with my periods until my husband mentioned it. He made a point of knowing when my periods were due to start for his own self preservation?? :mrgreen: ... and after I had complained about the cramps a number of times, he mentioned that they seem to occur coinciding with my periods. Unhappily, my periods come about every 21 days now, so this happens quite frequently. My toes will stack on top of each other ... and let me tell you, it's painful!

But yes, even now when you start to do some research into perimenopause, most of the sites will tell you about hot flashes, mood swings, vaginal dryness, and lack of desire ... perimenopause, almost suspiciously from a male perspective. Symptoms that could affect the life of a man in some way. :expressionless:

But you don't hear about the dizziness or cramping or all the rest.

Here's one ... itching. Really deep agonising itching ... and again, same time as all the other stuff ... 2 or 3 days before my period starts and a day or two into the period.
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member

Supposedly, if you know what your mother's experience was, then you should have a good indicator of what your experience will be.

Unfortunately, my mom was in chemo/radiation treatment at the time and when she was done with that, she was done with periods and her mother just did not talk about those things ever--so I have no sense of how long this not-so-fun merry-go-round is going to last.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited December 2016

:)

I didn't put together the timing of the toe, feet, and leg cramps with my periods until my husband mentioned it. He made a point of knowing when my periods were due to start for his own self preservation?? :mrgreen: ... and after I had complained about the cramps a number of times, he mentioned that they seem to occur coinciding with my periods. Unhappily, my periods come about every 21 days now, so this happens quite frequently. My toes will stack on top of each other ... and let me tell you, it's painful!

But yes, even now when you start to do some research into perimenopause, most of the sites will tell you about hot flashes, mood swings, vaginal dryness, and lack of desire ... perimenopause, almost suspiciously from a male perspective. Symptoms that could affect the life of a man in some way. :expressionless:

But you don't hear about the dizziness or cramping or all the rest.

Here's one ... itching. Really deep agonising itching ... and again, same time as all the other stuff ... 2 or 3 days before my period starts and a day or two into the period.

Dear lord..... I hope mine don't get any closer together! Mine being from 21-25 days as it is. If my cycle shortens by even a couple of days I feel like all I will ever be is on my period! I do get some foot cramps and leg cramps now and then. I have't given any thought to that in relation to my period though. Maybe It's worth making a note of.
  • amandarunning
    amandarunning Posts: 306 Member
    Flipping heck - dizziness...never connected that one with peri and wondered why I turn around once and all but fall over! Great post - my hot flushes at night have become an issue so starting Black Cohosh and hoping for some relief. I guess the upside is it's winter BUT usually get really cold once the flush calms down.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Ahoy, sounds very peri to me. What is sleigh ride tea? Does it have booze in it? Or Zanax? Please say yes.

Hahahaa.... Sleigh Ride is an awesome name for an alcoholic elixir. Even better for Xanax!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Thank you for this thread. LAWoman, you are hilarious!

I am wondering what's up. I turn 52 in days and have never missed a period. Never had a FSH test -- not indicated; but weird stuff is going on.
    1) cold flashes.... it feels like hormonal thermal disregulation where I just cannot get my core temp up 24 hr before period starts. I'm cold generally, but this is different, to the bone cold. I dream of hot flashes.
    2) excess prostaglandins last month. What a pain. Haven't had that since my early 20's when my doc put me on BC to regulate that.
    3) 2 months before that, I had a freak 4lb bloat with back&ab pain. Didn't recognize myself in the mirror. It was so atypical for me, I went to GP after a week. Many tests. Clean bill of health. Big bill from radiologist. Embarrassed it was all about nothing (although metastasized liver cancer crossed my mind given pain location). Resolved upon ovulation.
    4) I have charted since 2008--mean, mode, variance, standard deviation. Went from 28 days like clockwork to 26 day average with greater variance. Like Sued0, I'm bored with periods. Ready for this show to be over.

LAWoman, I feel you. Maybe a cup of holiday Sleigh Ride tea? I wish I had more to offer. (((hug)))

@ahoy_m8 Can you elaborate on excess prostaglandins? What are the symptoms of this? What did you do for it?

Prostaglandins cause inflammation, contraction and pain. Any organ can synthesize them, as I understand it, and they are involved in monthly uterine shedding and also uterine contractions in labor. In excess, they cause inflammation, pain & contraction in other muscles, i.e. bowels.... so diarrhea, nausea, lightheadedness. I take 4 advil at once and then 2 more 6 hours later. When I was in my 20's, my OB advised BC to regulate that, and it worked.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Thank you for this thread. LAWoman, you are hilarious!

I am wondering what's up. I turn 52 in days and have never missed a period. Never had a FSH test -- not indicated; but weird stuff is going on.
    1) cold flashes.... it feels like hormonal thermal disregulation where I just cannot get my core temp up 24 hr before period starts. I'm cold generally, but this is different, to the bone cold. I dream of hot flashes.
    2) excess prostaglandins last month. What a pain. Haven't had that since my early 20's when my doc put me on BC to regulate that.
    3) 2 months before that, I had a freak 4lb bloat with back&ab pain. Didn't recognize myself in the mirror. It was so atypical for me, I went to GP after a week. Many tests. Clean bill of health. Big bill from radiologist. Embarrassed it was all about nothing (although metastasized liver cancer crossed my mind given pain location). Resolved upon ovulation.
    4) I have charted since 2008--mean, mode, variance, standard deviation. Went from 28 days like clockwork to 26 day average with greater variance. Like Sued0, I'm bored with periods. Ready for this show to be over.

LAWoman, I feel you. Maybe a cup of holiday Sleigh Ride tea? I wish I had more to offer. (((hug)))

@ahoy_m8 Can you elaborate on excess prostaglandins? What are the symptoms of this? What did you do for it?

Prostaglandins cause inflammation, contraction and pain. Any organ can synthesize them, as I understand it, and they are involved in monthly uterine shedding and also uterine contractions in labor. In excess, they cause inflammation, pain & contraction in other muscles, i.e. bowels.... so diarrhea, nausea, lightheadedness. I take 4 advil at once and then 2 more 6 hours later. When I was in my 20's, my OB advised BC to regulate that, and it worked.

How is this diagnosed? Is it a blood test?