Is It Over Yet? The Perimenopause Thread

Options

Replies

• SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Heh... well, it seems like it only lasts a day (possibly two), so I guess if I let myself eat more for just that time it'll be okay but if it goes on longer then I really am just being a pig... ;)
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    Mine goes for around 10 days. A week before my period and the first few days of. It's a real chore!
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Hello, my peris.

Well...I was JUST coming up on a full five months without a period, was thinking this might be "it" at last and...this morning I'm spotting.

Do you hear taps playing in the background? I do...behind the sound of my screams...

(deep breath) womanhoodisbeautifulwomanhoodisbeautifulwomanhoodisbeautiful.
  • SueSueDio
    Options
    Yeah, I think I got to five or six months last year and was starting to think maybe this is it, then I got another one. *sigh*
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    My peri lasted 18 years. I went 10 months without....then "hello" for a couple months. Have now been without for just over 2 years. I still get the occasional "pre period" symptom, the grumpy-ness, hunger, dizzy, bloat, etc. I still have the nasty wringing wet night sweats a couple times a week. Still get the "power surge" day time hot flashes a few times a week. The doc said some people take 10-15 years to lose the hot flashes and night sweats. Oh joy. Can't find anything wrong and can't take any type of hormone (including soy), so I just have to ride it out. At least I know the sheets on my bed are clean and I have a never ending source of ice water.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    MzBug wrote: »
    My peri lasted 18 years. I went 10 months without....then "hello" for a couple months. Have now been without for just over 2 years. I still get the occasional "pre period" symptom, the grumpy-ness, hunger, dizzy, bloat, etc. I still have the nasty wringing wet night sweats a couple times a week. Still get the "power surge" day time hot flashes a few times a week. The doc said some people take 10-15 years to lose the hot flashes and night sweats. Oh joy. Can't find anything wrong and can't take any type of hormone (including soy), so I just have to ride it out. At least I know the sheets on my bed are clean and I have a never ending source of ice water.

God bless your heart! That is terrible!
  • SueSueDio
    Options

Oh wow - I'm really sorry you have to go through this, but I also really hope it's uncommon and that most of us won't! *hugs*
  • Misnomer971
    Misnomer971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    @MzBug -- That's...that's just...I'm so sorry! :frowning:

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I feel for both of you. LAWoman, my obgyn says the one year thing is ONE indicator.
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Hello, my peris.

Well...I was JUST coming up on a full five months without a period, was thinking this might be "it" at last and...this morning I'm spotting.

Do you hear taps playing in the background? I do...behind the sound of my screams...

(deep breath) womanhoodisbeautifulwomanhoodisbeautifulwomanhoodisbeautiful.

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Does anyone seem to have alternate hell months? I'll have one month that is just terrible with cramps and sore boobs and all the PMS in the world. Then the next month it's barely noticeable?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Does anyone seem to have alternate hell months? I'll have one month that is just terrible with cramps and sore boobs and all the PMS in the world. Then the next month it's barely noticeable?

Mine weren't like that. Mine were: one month physical hell, next month emotional hell. lol.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    For those of you talking about the dizziness: I have had this for years and it seems particularly bad this year. I am truly menopausal this year as I hit my one year mark without a period on December 30th (which also happened to be my birthday!!).

Anyway, I don't think (for me) this is blood sugar at all. It do not feel faint or weak in the slightest. I believe it is a balance issue: as others have said, there is a disconnect between my brain and my eyes.

A declining balance (vestibular) system is common when aging. I think the lack of hormones exacerbates this for some people. My inner ear/vestibular function as never great to begin with (easily car sick, can't spin well, etc).

Anyway, it's pretty bad these days. I am doing more exercise to try to help my vestibular system but I probably need to focus more on balance. And then if I have fluid in my ear or something due to allergies, it's so much worse. I hate this!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    CMNVA wrote: »
    For those of you talking about the dizziness: I have had this for years and it seems particularly bad this year. I am truly menopausal this year as I hit my one year mark without a period on December 30th (which also happened to be my birthday!!).

Anyway, I don't think (for me) this is blood sugar at all. It do not feel faint or weak in the slightest. I believe it is a balance issue: as others have said, there is a disconnect between my brain and my eyes.

A declining balance (vestibular) system is common when aging. I think the lack of hormones exacerbates this for some people. My inner ear/vestibular function as never great to begin with (easily car sick, can't spin well, etc).

Anyway, it's pretty bad these days. I am doing more exercise to try to help my vestibular system but I probably need to focus more on balance. And then if I have fluid in my ear or something due to allergies, it's so much worse. I hate this!

It's always been my least favorite symptom. So far, right now, it's a bit better, but I've also been using bio-identical HRT lately.
    Hope the vestibular training helps.
    A friend of mine calls it the eye wobbles. That's exactly how it feels to me.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    CMNVA wrote: »
    It's always been my least favorite symptom. So far, right now, it's a bit better, but I've also been using bio-identical HRT lately.
    Hope the vestibular training helps.
    A friend of mine calls it the eye wobbles. That's exactly how it feels to me.

The worst part is that NO ONE that I know in real life has mentioned this so I keep feeling like I'm some freak and something is REALLY wrong with me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited January 2017
    Options

The worst part is that NO ONE that I know in real life has mentioned this so I keep feeling like I'm some freak and something is REALLY wrong with me.

That part is very hard! It wasn't until I really started typing "vertigo menopause" and "dizziness menopause" "balance problems menopause" into google that I realized how common it is.
  • SueSueDio
    Options

It's not usually monthly for me now anyway, but my last period in October was horrible - much more painful than they used to be, and a bunch of other symptoms too. This most recent one was almost painless, just annoying because it dragged on for about a week and a half!
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Glad I found (& read) this thread. I've not heard about the peri-dizziness before. I did think it was just 'aging'. I would be walking down steps and "miss a step", etc. I'm generally not a klutz but was really starting to feel like one!
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options
    It is pretty common from what I understand (dizziness/weakness due to perimenopause). I have seen HRT really help with this.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    It is pretty common from what I understand (dizziness/weakness due to perimenopause). I have seen HRT really help with this.
    It's helping me. I'm doing a low dose bioidentical estrogen, in addition to the bioidentical progesterone I was using. And I can even look up in yoga without falling over lol.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options
    It's helping me. I'm doing a low dose bioidentical estrogen, in addition to the bioidentical progesterone I was using. And I can even look up in yoga without falling over lol.

That's great!