Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Are GMOs bad for you?

Options

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Humans have been selectively breeding traits what we found increased yield or resistance to certain disease or allowed for less water for hundreds of years.

GMO's are nothing more than selective breeding 2.0

... without the hundreds of years of safety testing in humans. Kind of a big deal that we know apples and corn are safe to eat. In a few hundred years, today's genetically-engineered foods will have caught up in terms of safety testing. That's the thing.

You've heard the saying: one good test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

I'm pretty certain that in the 1960's we 'knew' that potatoes were safe to eat if they'd been stored properly. At least until we managed to crossbreed one that produced increased levels of solanine - enough to make people sick even when handled and stored properly.

With that complaint against GMOs (that are tested before release), best not try the new hybrid produce that's out on the market until it's been in production and consumed for at least a couple of years.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Humans have been selectively breeding traits what we found increased yield or resistance to certain disease or allowed for less water for hundreds of years.

GMO's are nothing more than selective breeding 2.0
    Selective breeding =/= gene splicing.

I avoid all GMO foods as best I can, because I don't trust that genetic modifications are being done for my benefit, they are being done with a profit motive and that can and has led to shortcuts being taken, negative results being covered up etc. I don't eat corn or soy or any of their derivatives to begin with and I rarely eat packaged or processed foods so I'm not likely to run across any GMO foods anyway.

Do you eat only locally raised beef and poultry (can't tell if are veg/vegan)? If you buy these in the store (and don't buy only grass fed/free range/etc) you are definitely eating the byproducts of the GMO crops since the vast majority of GMO corn is used for feed and/or HFCS production.
  • sydney_bosque
    sydney_bosque Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Farms can also be sued if their corn is polinated by GMO corn. As the term of copyright on GMO crops is 17 years, it's technically theft if your crop contains genetic material of a genetically modified crop. But, since corn pollen can travel 30-50 miles in farm country, which has no trees and lots of wind, that leaves them in the position to sue small farms for theft of copyrighted goods, or they can force them to pay royalties for a crop that wasn't even GMO to begin with.

Actually, this is no longer true - can't find the link to the ruling, but a federal judge squashed this possibility with a decision that said the ONLY grounds for suing on cross-pollination was to be able to prove that the farmer had deliberately gathered the pollen from the GMO corn and used it to pollinate his field - incidental pollination (i.e. the wind blowing the pollen from 1 field to the next), could not be controlled and was not legitimate grounds for a lawsuit.

Good. It's about time. But with the amount of GMO crops we sell to the rest of the world, our own regulations here won't make much of a dent in their profits. They already own a majority of the small farms in the Midwest, and the third world countries GMOs are designed to help don't regulate it near as much. They can still muscle people into stealing their farms or collecting royalties.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    No... in fact most of them are very good for you. Most of them provide extra nutrition as compared to their non-GMO counter parts. That's why they were bread that way.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Farms can also be sued if their corn is polinated by GMO corn. As the term of copyright on GMO crops is 17 years, it's technically theft if your crop contains genetic material of a genetically modified crop. But, since corn pollen can travel 30-50 miles in farm country, which has no trees and lots of wind, that leaves them in the position to sue small farms for theft of copyrighted goods, or they can force them to pay royalties for a crop that wasn't even GMO to begin with.

Actually, this is no longer true - can't find the link to the ruling, but a federal judge squashed this possibility with a decision that said the ONLY grounds for suing on cross-pollination was to be able to prove that the farmer had deliberately gathered the pollen from the GMO corn and used it to pollinate his field - incidental pollination (i.e. the wind blowing the pollen from 1 field to the next), could not be controlled and was not legitimate grounds for a lawsuit.

Also, Monsanto voluntarily offers to get rid of accidental GMO contamination iirc.
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Do you eat only locally raised beef and poultry (can't tell if are veg/vegan)? If you buy these in the store (and don't buy only grass fed/free range/etc) you are definitely eating the byproducts of the GMO crops since the vast majority of GMO corn is used for feed and/or HFCS production.
    Most of my animal protein comes from wild fish, both store bought and fresh caught but yes, most of the small amount of meat/poultry I consume is local and raised free range. I'm not a food nazi though, so I'll still eat out and eat what I want when I do but at home I am much more selective. My honey is local, maple syrup is bought directly from the maker, I grow some of my own food, much of the rest is local and organic when available etc. I still eat a few ears of GMO sweet corn in the summer though, it's so sweet it's like eating candy. ;)

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Most of my animal protein comes from wild fish, both store bought and fresh caught but yes, most of the small amount of meat/poultry I consume is local and raised free range. I'm not a food nazi though, so I'll still eat out and eat what I want when I do but at home I am much more selective. My honey is local, maple syrup is bought directly from the maker, I grow some of my own food, much of the rest is local and organic when available etc. I still eat a few ears of GMO sweet corn in the summer though, it's so sweet it's like eating candy. ;)

The fresh corn you buy is, in general, not gmo.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

Yup! Alternative Facts intended for entertainment purposes only. :)

The sad part is the majority of people will believe anything they read. That's not so entertaining.
  • finny11122
    finny11122 Posts: 8,436 Member
    Options
    Well on mammal tests the subjects got cancer . And humans are mammals . So eat them or not , the choice is yours at the end of the day .