From heavily overweighted to lean but looking for muscle now. What to do??

Options

Replies

• Ih8Rain2
    Ih8Rain2 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    But it took me 10months. So not a 12weeks madness program or something like that. Just gradually and consistently. I hit one or two plateaus. Review my intake and my exercise and continued.
  • Ih8Rain2
    Options
    JB035 wrote: »
    Dang! Sir, you look great! You want to recomp from what you just described. Do you know what your maintenance cals are?

Again! Great job on loosing the weight! Isn't it funny how we are never satisfied with what we have? There are many 53 year old men who would kill for what you've achieved... shoot there are many men who would like to be as lean as you are!

Hi JB,

Thanks for your inspiring comments. I am happy so far but the journey isn't over.

I guess my maintenance cal around 2300-2500cals/day.

I have set my MFP at 2000. So if I cheat a little bit or misinterpret the quantities I eat I still be ok. I try to get not less then 200gr of proteins a day. I don't gain weight but do I gain muscle? I read somewhere that muscle growth will be not more then about 0.5kg per month. So I will check that in a year's time...
  • Ih8Rain2
    Options
    So from all the remarks I have to recomp (?), maintaining weight but growing muscle. I have looked at Stronglifts 5x5. It seems a simple straightforward program. Would that be the right choice?
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Here's a really helpful thread on recomp. Tons of information.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

Great work, btw. You look fab!
  • JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Really thinking about it. I'd start a progressive loading program and see how your body reacts to the load. You just might get where you need to be with out to many adjustments.
  • Ih8Rain2
    edited March 2017
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    Here's a really helpful thread on recomp. Tons of information.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

Great work, btw. You look fab!

Hi Bambi,

Thanks for your feedback. I also went to that link and it gave some good insights. Plenty to go on. Thank you again.
  • Schila64
    Schila64 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    610i89tz28kd.jpg
    Wow, congratulations. You look amazing
  • Ih8Rain2
    Options
    Schila64 wrote: »
    610i89tz28kd.jpg
    Wow, congratulations. You look amazing

Hi Schila64,

Thanks. I am blushing
  • Ih8Rain2
    Options
    JB035 wrote: »
    Really thinking about it. I'd start a progressive loading program and see how your body reacts to the load. You just might get where you need to be with out to many adjustments.

I am going to try. O yes !
  • Jockamo319
    Jockamo319 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Great job. I'm 52 and on a similar journey. Just trying to slowly keep losing, with reasonable lifting routine, till I get the lean look back. Your success is inspiring!
  • Ih8Rain2
    Options
    Jockamo319 wrote: »
    Great job. I'm 52 and on a similar journey. Just trying to slowly keep losing, with reasonable lifting routine, till I get the lean look back. Your success is inspiring!

Keep going :D it is possible!!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Lean mass although I don't fully understand the difference in your question

I think she means are you looking to get bigger or just look shredded? Sometimes leaning out more creates the illusion of bigger muscles. To get bigger you'd need to bulk, but to look shredded you can do recomposition (which I feel is the best of both worlds, getting bigger and getting shredded).
  • psnowbirdie
    psnowbirdie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    WOW--you look sooooo amazing! Yowzza :) Very inspirational (and you look happier too). Thank you for sharing your story. I will keep hitting the weights. As a 46 year old female I am moving away from intensive cardio and towards regular weight lifting (3x weekly 1x cardio) and your post is helpful. Thanks!
  • Ih8Rain2
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Lean mass although I don't fully understand the difference in your question

I think she means are you looking to get bigger or just look shredded? Sometimes leaning out more creates the illusion of bigger muscles. To get bigger you'd need to bulk, but to look shredded you can do recomposition (which I feel is the best of both worlds, getting bigger and getting shredded).

I don't feel like bulking. For what I have gathered on information about recomp it's slower but steady. That seems to fit me. Slowly moving fat into muscle without gaining weight. If that eventually results into a more shredded look I don't think I can't be more happy. I just need to find the right routine. I have started with 3 times a week 2 muscle group. 3-5 sets 6-12 reps to failure. I believe that there must be a sweet spot where your diet and workout is as such that you gain muscle and not gain weight. Hence getting more shredded over time. I just have to figure it out.
  • Ih8Rain2
    Options
    WOW--you look sooooo amazing! Yowzza :) Very inspirational (and you look happier too). Thank you for sharing your story. I will keep hitting the weights. As a 46 year old female I am moving away from intensive cardio and towards regular weight lifting (3x weekly 1x cardio) and your post is helpful. Thanks!

Dear Snowbirdie,

Thank you for your inspiring and flattering comments! I am much happier indeed and after your remark I can't wait to hit the gym again..
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Nice work!!

I'm on a similar journey, 2 more lbs until my arbitrary body fat % guesstimate then I start lean bulk with a slow increase in calories and continued lifting.

Your question on Stronglifts 5 x 5. I've heard a lot of people say it worked for them (progressive overload is built right in). Take a peak at the "Strongur" http://www.weightliftingapp.com/index.html On the app there are a bunch of free programs that are pretty interesting. The preloaded programs have automatic progressive overload, deload, and adjustments. I use the "Strong" App to track my lifting volume. Something you might want to consider is a workout journal of some kind if you don't already have one, just to quantify your increases.

Overall it looks like you're doing awesome. I've heard that to look good and get that "V-shaped" upper body, make sure you work your deltoids.
  • Ih8Rain2
    Options
    Rusty740 wrote: »
    Nice work!!

I'm on a similar journey, 2 more lbs until my arbitrary body fat % guesstimate then I start lean bulk with a slow increase in calories and continued lifting.

Your question on Stronglifts 5 x 5. I've heard a lot of people say it worked for them (progressive overload is built right in). Take a peak at the "Strongur" http://www.weightliftingapp.com/index.html On the app there are a bunch of free programs that are pretty interesting. The preloaded programs have automatic progressive overload, deload, and adjustments. I use the "Strong" App to track my lifting volume. Something you might want to consider is a workout journal of some kind if you don't already have one, just to quantify your increases.

Overall it looks like you're doing awesome. I've heard that to look good and get that "V-shaped" upper body, make sure you work your deltoids.

Thanks for your advice. I will check out the app.
  • Ih8Rain2
    Options
    I use fitlist app to track my progress. I check the StrongLifts app which seems very simple but also a bit restricted. I like to do more then only heavy compounds lifts. I like push-up, pull-ups, some abs, dumbbell exercises etc.
  • cbl40
    cbl40 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! My personal opinion is that men look better lean like you, than like a body builder. Just my opinion. Great work!
  • HG210
    HG210 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I know nothing about building muscle but I do know you look amazing my friend. Keep pushing.