From heavily overweighted to lean but looking for muscle now. What to do??

Options
124»

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I would suggest Starting Strength novice LP program until you run it out then

4dayLP split intermediate program following.

I'm right at your age range and this is a solid method to get you in the right direction without killing the body.

Only thing is you should be running it on a surplus if you want to do it correctly. You don't really gain fat that much if you watch your calories which you have a grasp for.

In my profile I'm 6'3 224lbs on this current bulk, hardly looking fat by any standards.

• Schila64
    Schila64 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Ih8Rain2 wrote: »
    I don't think whatever I do that I get bulky. Unfortunately at my age (sounds old) it doesn't go that fast. So a bit more defined. That would be it.

If that makes you happy, good . In my opinion, you look FANTASTIC ! Trust me !!! ;)
  • Ih8Rain2
    Ih8Rain2 Posts: 77 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Schila64 wrote: »
    I don't think whatever I do that I get bulky. Unfortunately at my age (sounds old) it doesn't go that fast. So a bit more defined. That would be it.

If that makes you happy, good . In my opinion, you look FANTASTIC ! Trust me !!! ;)

I trust you o:)
  • Ih8Rain2
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I would suggest Starting Strength novice LP program until you run it out then

4dayLP split intermediate program following.

I'm right at your age range and this is a solid method to get you in the right direction without killing the body.

Only thing is you should be running it on a surplus if you want to do it correctly. You don't really gain fat that much if you watch your calories which you have a grasp for.

In my profile I'm 6'3 224lbs on this current bulk, hardly looking fat by any standards.

Thanks for the advice. I will have a look at the program. See if it fits me.
  • Ih8Rain2
    Options
    Update picture:oww3gvclxnv7.jpg
  • CiaIgle
    CiaIgle Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    First of all CONGRATULATIONS !!!

I am almost 50 (next month) and lost 26 Kgs in the last 8 months. I am looking also for the next challenge, in my case I decided to StrongLifts 5x5, I am in my third week so still early to call, but I like it so far. Just download de app, watch very carefully the two videos and follow the instructions.

I am 171 cms tall, and passed from 99 Kgs to 73 Kgs.

I have to ask an embarrassing question. Did you have any issues with loose skin? I have some skin hanging around my waist and in my throat. I notice in your recent picture a little fold in your navel, that I also have, that can be a signal of some loose skin.

Any strategy or ideas?

Sorry again :smile:

• Ih8Rain2
    Options
    CiaIgle wrote: »

I am almost 50 (next month) and lost 26 Kgs in the last 8 months. I am looking also for the next challenge, in my case I decided to StrongLifts 5x5, I am in my third week so still early to call, but I like it so far. Just download de app, watch very carefully the two videos and follow the instructions.

I have to ask an embarrassing question. Did you have any issues with loose skin? I have some skin hanging around my waist and in my throat. I notice in your recent picture a little fold in your navel, that I also have, that can be a signal of some loose skin.

Any strategy or ideas?

Yes a little bit below my navel. Not a major concern. It's hardly noticeable if you stand up right. I don't think there is anything I can do about it. I try to reduce some more fat around that area and I assume it will settle slowly as I go.
  • CiaIgle
    CiaIgle Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    CiaIgle wrote: »

Any strategy or ideas?

Yes a little bit below my navel. Not a major concern. It's hardly noticeable if you stand up right. I don't think there is anything I can do about it. I try to reduce some more fat around that area and I assume it will settle slowly as I go.

Thanks for the comment. In my case is a disgusting "pergamine like" skin, but not very big anyway.

For what I researched, I should give it a couple of years, after that, resignation or surgery.

I will surely go for resignation.

Regards
  • Ih8Rain2
    Options
    610i89tz28kd.jpg

You look great - I'm really impressed with your progress

Thank you!
  • mbosco88m
    mbosco88m Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Great progress! I'm on the same journey and hope my results will equal yours.

Regarding programs, you might want to check out Ice Cream Fitness 5x5. It has the same base as Stonglifts 5x5, but adds some extras that it sounds like may work for you.
  • Schila64
    Options

Great "V" shape.... Again, amazing work done.... Congrats :);)

• Ih8Rain2
    Options
    Schila64 wrote: »

Great "V" shape.... Again, amazing work done.... Congrats :);)

Thank you Schila64!
  • Schila64
    Options
    I found out that if I keep around 2300 I stay around 90kg as I want. I am also convinced that if I want to lose more I just switch back to me earlier routine and the weight just starts going down again.

How did you find out how many calories you needed, when you started this journey? I have the feeling that MFP does not provide the accurate calories you need to lose and/or maintain.
    What do you mean by earlier routine?

• Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Just keep training and getting stronger in all your lifts.

Simple.