30 day shred - anyone want to start with me?

Options
Zara_Pi
Zara_Pi Posts: 141 Member
Today I did my first ever workout.
I did 20 mins of the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred Level 1.

I plan to complete this workout, so will continue doing level 1 for another 9 days, then do level 2 for 10 days and finally level 3 for 10 days.

Is anyone also doing this or want to start? We can update each other on how we're doing and keep each other motivated.

We can take daily pics to track our own progress and at the end we can post our before and after pics.

Replies

• rainebowsparkles
    rainebowsparkles Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Hi there!
    I'd love to join you! I've been planning to start this again, so this is perfect. It's the motivation part that always gets me with this specific DVD. I'll have a new photo to post tomorrow. :)
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Yes!! I just bought it today, I wish i had seen this earlier so we could have started the same day, but I ended up waiting. Unfortunately I won't be able to pick up weights for this week, so I guess those moves will just be body weight for me until then.

Doing it together and checking in will help me so much to stay motivated. Can't wait!
  • skinnyrev2b
    skinnyrev2b Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I started yesterday, so today was level 1, day 2 :smiley:
  • Zara_Pi
    Options
    Hi there!
    I'd love to join you! I've been planning to start this again, so this is perfect. It's the motivation part that always gets me with this specific DVD. I'll have a new photo to post tomorrow. :)

Hey that's brilliant. Definitely start. I mever bought I could do it as I'm so unfit and out of shape and I've never done anything like this before. However it wasn't too bad. At least I managed to do the full 20 Mins.

Let me know how you get on.
    Yes!! I just bought it today, I wish i had seen this earlier so we could have started the same day, but I ended up waiting. Unfortunately I won't be able to pick up weights for this week, so I guess those moves will just be body weight for me until then.

Doing it together and checking in will help me so much to stay motivated. Can't wait!

That's great. Still try to do as much as you can. This way you'll be motivated to keep it up as you've already started. Let me know how you get on.
    Hi all. I started yesterday, so today was level 1, day 2 :smiley:

Hey, how did you get on? Did it get easier? I haven't done my day 2 of level 1 yet.
  • Zara_Pi
    Options
    Just completed day 2 Level 1. My arms were so knackered, I struggled lifting the sponge to wash myself in the shower! lol.

But feels good knowing my muscles are being worked.
  • BlueasBlueberry
    BlueasBlueberry Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just started today so level 1, day 1. :)
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options

Awesome you and I will be on the same schedule!
  • skinnyrev2b
    Options
    Zara_Pi wrote: »
    Just completed day 2 Level 1. My arms were so knackered, I struggled lifting the sponge to wash myself in the shower! lol.

Lol! I am feeling it in my legs but strangely not in my arms. Or perhaps not strangely, as I can only do about 3 press ups then have to kneel-press, and my weights are only .5kg. Perhaps I should switch up on those for the next work out.

In the comedy stakes though, you should see me getting out of a chair and walking!

I'm trying to decide whether to start C25K tomorrow as I read somewhere that Jillian suggests doing (2 days 30DS, 1 day cardio), repeat then rest on the 7th day (very biblical!) but that the 30 DS had a better strapline as far as the marketing guys were concerned...

What about you guys - you gonna do all 30 days straight, with rest days or switch exercises in between?

Well done BlueasBlueberry!

WickAndArtoo - you could use tins. As I said above, my weights are only .5kg... sure thats less than a can. *toddles off to check now lol!*

• WickAndArtoo
    Options
    @skinnyrev2b thanks! I was considering whether that could be an option, I have a few cans of vegetable soup collecting dust :smiley: . I am going to try it.

I too was wondering about rest days. As a rule of thumb if I am so sore that I can't sit on the toilet, I take a rest day, so we will see how it goes! Like she says, injuries aren't part of the program!
  • Zara_Pi
    Options
    Zara_Pi wrote: »

Lol! I am feeling it in my legs but strangely not in my arms. Or perhaps not strangely, as I can only do about 3 press ups then have to kneel-press, and my weights are only .5kg. Perhaps I should switch up on those for the next work out.

In the comedy stakes though, you should see me getting out of a chair and walking!

I'm trying to decide whether to start C25K tomorrow as I read somewhere that Jillian suggests doing (2 days 30DS, 1 day cardio), repeat then rest on the 7th day (very biblical!) but that the 30 DS had a better strapline as far as the marketing guys were concerned...

What about you guys - you gonna do all 30 days straight, with rest days or switch exercises in between?

Well done BlueasBlueberry!

WickAndArtoo - you could use tins. As I said above, my weights are only .5kg... sure thats less than a can. *toddles off to check now lol!*

At least you can do press ups. I can't, I have to do the easy version. And even then I struggle.

With regards to my arms, the weights I'm using are 1.5kg. That'll explain why I could barely lift them.
    I'm sure I've got lighter ones which I left in my mums house. Will have to go and see if I can find them.

Currently I'm planning to do the workout everyday. But I may feel differently once I've done a couple more days. Lol.

What's the C25?

I try to go for a brisk walk everyday. Went for a walk today for 25 mins. Thighs are still crying out in pain.
  • Zara_Pi
    Options

That's brilliant. Come back here tomorrow and let us know how day 2 was.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I've done the 30 day shred series a couple of times. In my humble opinion it's too intense to do every single day, particularly if you are not a regular gym goer. I do alternate days to give myself some recovery time, I do ten of each session so it takes 60 days to complete the cycle. I run or walk on my days "off".
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    Ended up using huge containers of mixed nuts because they were 1 pound lol. Boy those lunges are something else!
  • BlueasBlueberry
    BlueasBlueberry Posts: 11 Member
    Options

"I'm trying to decide whether to start C25K tomorrow as I read somewhere that Jillian suggests doing (2 days 30DS, 1 day cardio), repeat then rest on the 7th day (very biblical!) but that the 30 DS had a better strapline as far as the marketing guys were concerned...

What about you guys - you gonna do all 30 days straight, with rest days or switch exercises in between?"

Ah, that's a nice idea. I have been doing the c25K for a bit and I am week 4 now (for a few weeks though, I am a bit stuck). Running is lovely but I find that it does not tone my arms and tummy at all, that's why I am turning to 30 days shred. I'll try to combine the two as I don't want to waste my progress in running ;)
  • skinnyrev2b
    Options
    I too was wondering about rest days. As a rule of thumb if I am so sore that I can't sit on the toilet, I take a rest day, so we will see how it goes! Like she says, injuries aren't part of the program!

Lol! Er... that'll be me then!
  • skinnyrev2b
    Options
    Cool Blue! Glad someone else is thinking along the same lines.
    We'll done Wick. You'll rock those lunges by the end. I hate the jumping jacks. Always have.
    Thanks for the advice _runnerbean_ I'll give 2 shred, 1 run, repeat a go and report back.
    Pi - couch to 5k. Tis a beginners running programme of which there are many. I did it a few years ago and got up to running a half marathon, but then stopped.
    Gill.
  • rwieber
    rwieber Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hi all....I just started today as well. I've done it before but it's been quite awhile. It wasn't too bad...I've also done Ripped in 30. Once I finish 30DS, I'll start on that. Good luck to you all!
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    rwieber wrote: »
    Hi all....I just started today as well. I've done it before but it's been quite awhile. It wasn't too bad...I've also done Ripped in 30. Once I finish 30DS, I'll start on that. Good luck to you all!

I am planning on doing the ripped in 30 next too, is it harder or about the same?
  • rainebowsparkles
    rainebowsparkles Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Level 1 day 1 done...ish. I could only do 11:30 of it after doing my other workouts.

My little girl decided I was her jungle gym and that I needed a 25lb weight today.❤ My legs and abs gave out tonight. At least I started. The last few times I've started this (and never finished) I had the same issues for the first few days but that was without any other exercising.

Anyone else have a rough start?
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    My first Jillian DVD was 30 Day Shred! I'm currently 6 weeks into Body Revolution. You will see results with the 30DS, but here is a bit of advice. Take rest days!! Don't do 30 days straight. If it takes you 35 -40 days to complete, so be it. So many people don't make it through because they don't give their bodies and muscles a chance to recover and over train, get knee and back issues, colds, etc. If you have knee or back issues already, check with your Dr. first. This is not a suggestion. You will still get results doing the modified version. Trust me. I've know from personal experience and have been on these 30Shred boards enough to know that about half way through, people that don't take recovery days start having issues. Other than that I love Jillian Michaels, but you know your body better than she does. FYI - if you have trouble getting up from the toilet (I know the feeling) . . you need a day or two of recovery LOL!