May 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    @azercord - My experience in cadence matches up with @_nikkiwolf_ and @MobyCarp. The only thing that seems to effectively raise my cadence is working on my form and running faster. Back in 2015 I spent some time trying to use a metronome app to raise my cadence and all that wound up happening was pain. You can't force it. It is a natural result of running better. Just work on running better.

For a while, I had songs edited to a 180 bpm and metronome and played them while I ran. I felt physically tired doing this especially if I was just trying to run at a normal training pace. I eventually gave up on the idea.

I haven't got a metronome, (I tried it, and it felt like more work) but my music is edited to 180 bpm. That works fabulously for me. I find that I am more energized when the story segment from Zombies, Run! ends and my next song starts. Part of it might just be *me* personally, but I like to think it's all about good music curation.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    I think I missed out on the poop conversation a few days ago, but I wanted to share this video.

https://youtu.be/DxgEHNKfNvw

At least us runners wouldn't get DQ'd in a race for this...lol! Well, provided it wasn't right in the middle of the street. Poor doggy!

I normally don't have too many bathroom issues, but we don't have to dwell on that. However, having to go in the middle of my marathon was a big fear because I was so worried about my time. Fortunately I survived without bathroom issues, but in hindsight, having a bathroom issue may have been better than falling and smacking my face on the road. Lol
    @BeeerRunner - I have to comment on this even though it was from a few days ago... When we were at the agility part of the dog show 2 weekends ago, the dog in front of mine (a friend's Vizsla) pooped on the course too and was DQ'd. :( They always clean it up well and even spray the area to take the smell away. Unfortunately it still smells interesting and Hobbes the Vizsla missed a qualifying run by 9 secs because he had to go and check it out! LOL
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Oh no @shanaber !! So close!!

@lporter229 When road running, my cadence when just doing a regular run seems to be anywhere from 180 to 185. When racing it's an average of 188 to low 190s. I do notice my stride is a lot higher in races. It seems to be .93 to .96 when doing a regular run and has increased anywhere from 1.07 to over 1.1 during races.

Has anyone noticed that Garmin isn't providing stride length anymore? I wasn't sure if something is messed up in my settings. Maybe it's a strong hint to buy those shoe pods?? ;)
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @BeeerRunner - I still show Stride Length. It's in my activity from this morning. I only use my FR 630 and HRM Run.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @BeeerRunner - I still show Stride Length. It's in my activity from this morning. I only use my FR 630 and HRM Run.

Lucky. I talked with Garmin support, a lot of people are missing stride length.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn...so, you are missing your stride length too? What did Garmin say when you talked to them?
  • shanaber
    Options
    Ok catching up a bit now after reading through all the posts. I can't comment on everyone but it seems like there has been a lot of great running and racing going on!

The HR zone posts are intriguing me. Since I am using my Apple watch with my HR monitor I no longer have zone alerts so I have to check my watch and see where I am. Right now that isn't an issue because I am running so slowly and struggling to just run at all (my HR is averaging in the 90-110 range... not pushing it at all). When I get back to my normal running I think I may have to switch over to a Garmin just for running but I do love my Apple watch and all the functions it has.

@skippygirlsmom - when I saw that Skip was crying after the Prom my first thought was if anyone was mean to her they better watch out or they will have an angry mob of runners from all over the world hunting them down! They just can't be mean to our girl!

@ddmom0811 - I hope the Cipro wasn't too bad for you. I have taken it in the past and it made me sick so I can't take it.

I am anxious to hear from @KatieJane83 about the Tinkerbell HM. It is very close to where I live and the weather was great on Sunday. I heard too that they changed the course this year so they didn't get to run into the Angel's stadium. I think the finish was in the stadium parking lot. There was a game that afternoon so I suspect that is why. Also when I flew home from Seattle last Sunday the girl in front of me on the plane was flying down to run it too - her first HM.

So I am working with the nutritionist and my trainer to get me back to my old running self, hopefully soon. I have upped my calories slowly and so far have actually lost a pound. I also came to the realization yesterday that I cannot continue to stay up late (reading and posting on FB and MFP) and then not run until 9 or 10 in the morning between meetings. It messes with my meals and then I don't eat which just makes it all worse. Also it is going to be getting hot soon (like this weekend) and I need to run before I sit down and start work. I have to go to bed early, get up early and run early.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn...so, you are missing your stride length too? What did Garmin say when you talked to them?

Some kind of issue with connect. They said the devices are recording but it's not going to connect for some reason. They have techs working on it.
  • shanaber
    Options
    Also on the stride length topic, several months ago @Stoshew71 posted a good video about stride length and how you can shorten it by where your arms are, while maintaining or increasing your cadence. I will have to see if I can find it again. There is also a metronome running app (iPhones maybe others?) called Run Tempo for $0.99 if anyone is interested. I just find it annoying...
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    May Running Totals (miles)
    5/1 – 5.16 easy
    5/2 – 6.67 easy
    5/3 – rest day
    5/4 – 8.08 easy
    5/5 – rest day
    5/6 – 11.23 loosely paced run
    5/7 – 11.08 easy with fast finish
    5/8 – 5.23 easy
    5/9 – 8.16 warm up, speed work, cool down
    5/10 – 5.66 group run
    5/11 – 7.25 easy plus 5 strides
    5/12 – rest day
    5/13 – 15.07 paced run
    5/14 – 7.20 easy
    5/15 – 6.03 easy
    5/16 – 10.63 warm up, speed work, cool down
    5/17 – 3.35 recovery run

May total to date – 110.80

Nominal Challenge Goal – 200 miles
    Real Goals: Stay healthy. Build base. 5/28, start training plan toward MVP Rochester Marathon.

Today's notes – Today was warm. I used the air conditioning in my car for the first time. Looked at the temperature in my hallway, and switched from heating to cooling, though the house a/c has yet to kick in. (I don't cool down to the temperature I heat to, and so far the house has stayed in the neither heat nor cool zone.)

When I went out for the group run, it was 84º F (29º C). There were lots of warnings about carrying water, possibly because it was a Nathan hydration demo night. The leader I normally hang with wasn't there, and the leader tonight went out at about a 7:35 pace. That slowed to closer to 8:00 in the first mile, but I know the gorup will speed up later.

If I were well rested, I could deal with that pace. But I did hard tempo intervals yesterday, and would prefer to take it easy. On top of that, I turned out to be a bit more beat up by yesterday's workout than I thought. By the time we'd got to the Erie Canal Trail, I knew I wasn't good for the 6 to 7 miles this group would run. Told the leader what I was going to do, and branched off to the trail leading back toward the store. Got to feeling better on the trail, so I ran past the normal turn for an out and back, then through some parking lots. Got into the parking lots, and my legs reminded me that a recovery run was still a good idea.

So I basically took it pretty easy, babying my legs. The trails felt pretty good. The asphalt, not so much; but the asphalt felt better by the time I got done than it did when I started. Oddly enough, the heat wasn't an issue; or at least I didn't run in it long enough for it to catch up to me.

Really enjoyed the scenery on the solo part of my run, which covered the same trail I gave you pictures of yesterday. Tomorrow is club practice, and I expect the workout will be pretty easy in honor of having a race on Sunday.

Oh, and first sign of spring today: I did a load of running clothes laundry, and there were no tights and no jackets in it!

2017 races:
    January 1, 2017 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY) Finished in 50:45
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) Finished in 1:32:40
    January 14, 2017 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY) Finished in 33:42
    January 28, 2017 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY) short course, finished 4.88 miles in 32:50
    February 4, 2017 USATF Cross Country National Championship Masters 8K (Bend, OR) Finished in 35:39, team won the 60+ Men's cross country championship
    February 11, 2017 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY) sat out due to training schedule
    February 25, 2017 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY) short course, finished 4.34 miles in 27:51
    March 11, 2017 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 33:25
    March 18, 2017 USATF Masters 8K Championship (Shamrock 8K, Virginia Beach, VA) finished in 30:59, PR for 8K
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:49:42
    April 30, 2017 USATF Masters 10K Championship (James Joyce Ramble, Dedham, MA) finished in 39:54, PR for 10K
    May 21, 2017 Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY)
    June 9, 2017 Charlie McMullen Mile (Rochester, NY)
    June 18, 2017 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY)
    July 28, 2017 Karknocker 5K (East Rochester, NY)
    September 17, 2017 MVP Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY)
    November 23, 2017 Race with Grace 10K (Hilton, NY)
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    5/17- 4.6

47.5/100

Rainy run today. Which I'm proud of still going on. I love rain. But I am generally a fair weather runner, and I have a major issue with lightening. I don't know how many close calls a person gets in their life, but I have used enough, that I don't tend to take my chances. So, good thing I had a buddy planning on this run, or else I would have been a bit of a lazy chicken.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Also on the stride length topic, several months ago @Stoshew71 posted a good video about stride length and how you can shorten it by where your arms are, while maintaining or increasing your cadence. I will have to see if I can find it again. There is also a metronome running app (iPhones maybe others?) called Run Tempo for $0.99 if anyone is interested. I just find it annoying...

Yes. Sage Canaday's girlfriend has a YouTube blog called Running Wild. She had a tip about not allowing your hands to swing to far in front of you which will promote your feet to land closer to your center of gravity. The further your hands swing past your hips, the more likely that your feet will land further in front as well. Instead, swing your hands back further and stop just as they reach your hips. I can find the video.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
  • Stoshew71
    Options
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    May goal: wear sunblock

5/1: sat on my okole. All. Day. Long.
    5/2: 3.13
    5/3: 6.06
    5/4: 4.08
    5/5 rest
    5/6: 4.15
    5/7 3.56
    5/8 snorkel 3.5 hours
    5/9 4.58
    5/10 3.38
    5/11 rest
    5/12 3.25
    5/13 life
    5/14 6.40
    5/15 4.13
    5/16 3.30
    5/17 3.00

Total: 49.02

Ticker is my goal for 2017 and progress to date:
    exercise.png

upcoming races:
    Volcano Rainforest Runs 10k 8/19
    BlockThe Sun Run 5k Oct 14 (https://walk.aimatmelanoma.org/Hilo2017) (physical and virtual options available)
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    8.2 km run with the Wednesday Night Crew. Up Pats Creek Trail to the top of the valley. I was struggling on the up-hill ( still recovering from Sundays 10k race) and met the speedsters in the crew coming back down before I got all the way to the top.
    187m (613ft) when the top is at 234m (767ft), so I had another 47m (150ft) of elevation to struggle through.
    Turned and burned with them to the bottom. A really nice set of fresh Black Bear Tracks on the trail ( the bear was still standing in them ) He saw us coming and bolted into the trees. I believe it was the "Local" resident bear based on his size and color ( mottled black/brown ) as each hill has a different bear in residence ( Home Territory ) and they are never a bother as there is enough Dog Walkers, Walkers and runners that as soon as they hear humans they turn and disappear into the forest.
    Because I didn't make the peak I decided to turn the downhill into an impromptu speed session since I have had good runs on this gentle slope ( 2 to 9 % grade ) in the past.
    yyx92479n6hu.png
    All this discussion about cadence, well here is my cadence peak from tonight's run at 184 spm=4:28/km
    pq8l53kv7o1h.png
    Was truly knackered when I got down to the bottom.

05/01 0 km – 160 km - 0 km – YTD 420.15
    05/01 11.5 km – 148.5 km - 11.5km
    05/02 5.5 km – 143.0 km - 17.0km
    05/03 10.0 km – 133.0 km - 27.0km
    05/04 7.5 km – 125.5 km - 34.50km
    05/07 7.0 km – 118.5 km - 41.50km
    05/08 11.5 km – 107.0 km - 53.0km
    05/09 6.0 km – 101.0 km - 59.0km
    05/14 9.9 km – 83.4 km - 76.6km
    05/16 8.0 km – 75.4 km - 84.6km
    05/17 8.2 km – 67.2 km - 92.8km – YTD 512.95 Pats Creek

exercise.png
  • SweetSassyJen
    SweetSassyJen Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    May goal: 50 miles
    May 18: 3.62 miles
    May total: 35.94 miles
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I didn't run yesterday; woke up, looked out the window at the thunderstorm going on, and thought "it's cutback week...yay!!!" and got back into bed. :smiley:

This morning was a mile or so of warmup, before meeting with the group for the regular run, and then a final quick lap to finish off. But boy did it feel humid out, and it's not even summer yet.

01 - 13.50
    02 - 10.58
    03 - 13.49
    04 - 9.80
    05 - 20.14
    08 - 12.99
    09 - 9.77
    10 - 13.42
    11 - 5.69
    12 - 20.28
    15 - 6.01
    16 - 8.04
    18 - 8.31

Total: 152.02 / 225 miles

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    5/1: 3 miles
    5/2: 4 miles
    5/3: 4 miles
    5/4: 3 miles
    5/5: 3.8 miles
    5/6: 5 trail miles
    5/7: Begrudingly a rest day
    5/8: Rest day again
    5/9: Rest
    5/10: Rest
    5/11: 3 miles
    5/12: Lazy day
    5/13: Too much rain
    5/14: 13.1 miles
    5/15: 3.2 miles
    ----: 2.5 miles
    5/16: 4.7 trail miles
    5/17: 5 trail miles
    5/18: 5.4 HOT HOT HOT miles

NJ is having its first spring heat wave and boy has it been a killer! It was 94F when I got off work yesterday, so I hit the trails rather than brave the pavement. Then after a night of tossing and turning in my too-hot house, I slogged through 5.4 miles with friends this morning. It was still in the 70s when we started before 6 am, and it killed me. Will probably take tomorrow as a rest day before hitting double digits on Saturday and Sunday both (in cooler temps, thank goodness!).

Now to catch up on 130 posts!

exercise.png

Upcoming Races
    5/14: Delaware Marathon Running Festival HM 1:45:17
    7/1: Finger Lake Fifties 50k (trail)
    10/8: Steamtown Marathon (BQ Attempt #3)