Cheeseaholics (not-so) Anonymous

Options

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    My dad's side of the family is Scandinavian and he always has a block of gjetost. I always use a dull steak knife to cut it so all I get is a couple of slivers. I could eat the block like an apple if I allowed myself.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    My dad's side of the family is Scandinavian and he always has a block of gjetost. I always use a dull steak knife to cut it so all I get is a couple of slivers. I could eat the block like an apple if I allowed myself.

Never heard of it. Looked it up. Amazing. Someday, I hope to try it, thanks!
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    In the fridge after the most recent grocery trip (Thursday) we had:

Brie
    Boursin
    Manchego
    Sharp cheddar
    Colby Jack
    Smoked Gouda
    Mild cheddar
    Fresh mozzarella
    Parmesan
    Cream cheese
    Cottage cheese

The struck-through has since been finished off XD though in fairness it wasn't all purchased new on Thursday! Apparently I do have SOME shame, lol... just not much when it comes to cheese ;D
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Brie (especially wrapped in phyllo dough with some sliced almonds)
    Cheddar (sharp/mild)
    Colby jack
    Blue
    Smoked Gouda
    Feta
    Cream cheese
    Cottage cheese
    Boursin
    Pepper jack
    Havarti
    Swiss
    Gruyere

I could eat only cheese so I don't keep it in the house except in limited amounts. But I do have Brie at Christmas .
  • xelsoo
    xelsoo Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I love all sorts and forms and smells of cheese >sigh<...they're too good! Dairy in general is a problem for me, I just buy too much of it! At some point I forced myself to only have 3 types of cheese in the fridge at a time :s ..but I'm Spanish so cheese tradition runs in our blood haha. As of late I'm only buying fresh ones as they have way less fat and I can keep my cravings at bay, any suggestions on nice relatively-low-fat cheeses?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Yes to cheese. o:)
  • emcat3
    emcat3 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am so happy to have found this forum. I like most kinds of cheese except for blue cheeses and Cheese Whiz (UGH!!)
  • lapesadilla
    lapesadilla Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I love cheese. Runny stinkulous continental cheese, sharp crunchy British Isles cheese, fresh farmers cheese - all of it. I'm staying away from it for now due to cholesterol concerns, but I'm looking forward to being able to enjoy it on occasion.

While traveling (and on a logging break) recently, I had a slice of cambozola cheesecake at a German restaurant in the Texas hill country: goodness gracious. Subtly sweet and dense with the slight funkiness of blue cheese. The literal best.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Feta cheese is pretty good for calories, since it has a strong taste and you can use only a little.

For comparative calories, this looks pretty good, but note the vastly different serving sizes given: http://www.calories.info/food/cheese

I don't really pay attention to total calories when buying cheese (other than using feta in omelets because it works well with just a little). I just moderate serving size. I buy based on what appeals to me when browsing at the farmer's market or WF's lovely cheese selection (I like to try things I have not tried before), or this lovely local place (https://www.pastoralartisan.com/). It's probably helpful that good cheese is often expensive, as more reason to moderate it!

I like to have a little on its own as dessert right after dinner.
  • tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Cheese-a-holic!!

New favourite which I had for the first time... French cheese called Gaperon. Dee-lish.

But other than that... in my fridge at the mo-
    Gouda, Brie and Red Leicester.

Always on oatcakes... with some chutney or chili or onion jam
  • leanitup123
    leanitup123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Cheese-a-holic!!

New favourite which I had for the first time... French cheese called Gaperon. Dee-lish.

But other than that... in my fridge at the mo-
    Gouda, Brie and Red Leicester.

Always on oatcakes... with some chutney or chili or onion jam

Yes to brie!
  • leanitup123
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Feta cheese is pretty good for calories, since it has a strong taste and you can use only a little.

For comparative calories, this looks pretty good, but note the vastly different serving sizes given: http://www.calories.info/food/cheese

I don't really pay attention to total calories when buying cheese (other than using feta in omelets because it works well with just a little). I just moderate serving size. I buy based on what appeals to me when browsing at the farmer's market or WF's lovely cheese selection (I like to try things I have not tried before), or this lovely local place (https://www.pastoralartisan.com/). It's probably helpful that good cheese is often expensive, as more reason to moderate it!

I like to have a little on its own as dessert right after dinner.

Amen. Cheese is a great dessert - chocolate and brie, etc. Yum...
  • rdgfit
    rdgfit Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a piece of cheese after dinner when everyone else is having a dessert - nice way to end the meal...
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    I LOVE cheese, even cheap cheese. I have been known to portion out cheese for a meal and eat half the portion before adding it to whatever I'm making.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I cannot be trusted with cheese.
  • leanitup123
    Options
    missh1967 wrote: »
    I cannot be trusted with cheese.

RT
  • lainy1979
    lainy1979 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm a self confessed cheese *kitten*! Extra mature cheddar, brie, buffalo mozzarella are my favourites. I recently tried a strong cheddar with walnuts from a local farm shop it was amazing. Love cheese.
  • leanitup123
    Options
    lainy1979 wrote: »
    I'm a self confessed cheese *kitten*! Extra mature cheddar, brie, buffalo mozzarella are my favourites. I recently tried a strong cheddar with walnuts from a local farm shop it was amazing. Love cheese.

A local creamery here sells cajun-style cheese curds. Too good. Buffalo mozzarella is great!
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Love aged cheddar - in my town, the Costco carries a Welsh cheddar that is just to die for. Gotta exercise restraint to not eat the whole block. With a pear, its heaven. And Brie and Camembert - oh my. Then there is goat with cranberry and nuts - shut up.