Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

CICO/Thermodynamics/Insulin- discuss!!

Options

Replies

• Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    Firstly, I'm not trying to bash anyone for how you've lost your weight. That's the last thing I want anyone to see this as.

But just because you lose a lot of weight doing something, doesn't mean what you did was efficient or the best way. And losing a lot of weight and doing a little research doesn't instantly make you a Nutrition expert.

I just hate how on here it's ALL about CICO when there are a lot more things that effect FAT LOSS.

Edited: to explain what I mean by there are a lot more things that effect fat loss; hormone levels (testosterone, estrogen, insulin, growth hormone), stress levels, types of food you're eating (macro split)

For the obese and insulin resistant maybe. For the rest, not so much. Interesting that you mention hormones but never mention hunger/satiety hormones, ghrelin and leptin which are probably more significant than what you've mentioned. If you hate CICO, maybe this is not the place for you as that is this sites primary mission and many have had great results doing exactly that.

"Our mission is to achieve a healthier world by empowering individuals to reach their personal health and fitness goals."

That's their mission
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Firstly, I'm not trying to bash anyone for how you've lost your weight. That's the last thing I want anyone to see this as.

But just because you lose a lot of weight doing something, doesn't mean what you did was efficient or the best way. And losing a lot of weight and doing a little research doesn't instantly make you a Nutrition expert.

I just hate how on here it's ALL about CICO when there are a lot more things that effect FAT LOSS.

Edited: to explain what I mean by there are a lot more things that effect fat loss; hormone levels (testosterone, estrogen, insulin, growth hormone), stress levels, types of food you're eating (macro split)

Except, the primary way to maintain muscle and maximise fat loss is adequate protein alongside strength training. And that is stressed quite a lot.

For the vast majority of the population, including those with specific aesthetic goals that will achieved through some sort of strength straining then nutrient partitioning, hormone levels (which, incidentally, is also often addressed by the recommendation to take diet breaks and eat at maintenance for one or two weeks) and macros beyond hitting protein and enough fat for nutrient absorption then we get to majoring in the minors.

There's not many wanting to get a physique for bikini or bodybuilding competitions. There's not many who want to look like a fitness model. Most people just want to be a healthy weight and look good, to them, in their clothes.

Do you really think 50 year old Joe or Josephine Blogs wants to be drowned in the minors you're so obsessed with?

I'm obsessed with helping people succeed.

Hormones is not a "minor".

And I'm not even sure what you're saying in the second paragraph so I can't even respond.

Just to respond about the "I don't know what you're saying". I'm supposing you mean my point about advanced aesthetic/building goals. Those are the people for whom cyclical dieting (such as Lyle McDonalds UD2.0) is going to be a consideration. Much the same as PSMF and RFL is largely going to be implemented by that category of dieter. Of course there's outliers but that's it, they're outliers, most dieters don't care about super specific protocols to squeak out every last ounce of fat over muscle loss.

For MOST dieters a KISS approach is all that's needed. Eat within your calories, don't cut too hard, take breaks, eat your protein and you should be strength training.

Exactly!!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    theledger5 wrote: »
    Read this article and a few others after a FB discussion on losing weight. I am confused now that losing weight is not just about CICO. Discuss!

https://www.dietdoctor.com/first-law-thermodynamics-utterly-irrelevant

Would you like to buy a bridge?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I like Fung, although I know his work is largely theory.

I think reducing insulin is a healthful approach to living. I don't think keeping insulin low is crucial for weight loss. I do think low insulin (and steadier BG) is helpful for improving your health which can be very helpful when it comes to controlling your weight.... and keeping yourself healthy.

I know weight loss comes down to a calorie deficit but lowered insulin can help people hit that lower caloric intake. Just cutting a few hundred calories is not maintainable for all people, I personally have a hard time with constant hunger after a few weeks. If changing the what and when of a person's diet improves their health and helps them lose weight easier, then great!

If you are lucky enough, or young enough, to not need to do anything more cut calories to lose weight, and can successfully do that over the long term, then great. I consider you to be fortunate. I'm a bit jealous.

For the obese and insulin resistant maybe. For the rest, not so much. Interesting that you mention hormones but never mention hunger/satiety hormones, ghrelin and leptin which are probably more significant than what you've mentioned. If you hate CICO, maybe this is not the place for you as that is this sites primary mission and many have had great results doing exactly that.

Obese and insulin resistant... That's a REALLY large number of people in North America now - it looks like over half ... a majority.

Proof source for your data of over half?
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I posted about this very topic not long ago over in the nutrition board: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10571895/the-junk-food-diet-seriously/p1

So long as you are talking about the just context of weight loss, CICO is the only variable that matters. "Eating clean" or engaging in fad diets like keto, paleo, zone, or whatever the hell else might well be successful in achieving weight loss, but only because they are conducted in a manner that ensures a calorie deficit, not because there is anything magical about emphasizing or neglecting any particular nutrient. People whose primary focus is on cutting weight are needlessly depriving themselves when they engage in these fad diets. I would also maintain that these same people are more likely to fail because their entire dietary existence is based upon a nonsense premise of "forbidden fruit". For whatever reason, some folks just feel the need to make things far more complicated than they need to be.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Nothing to add but in.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I posted about this very topic not long ago over in the nutrition board: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10571895/the-junk-food-diet-seriously/p1

So long as you are talking about the just context of weight loss, CICO is the only variable that matters. "Eating clean" or engaging in fad diets like keto, paleo, zone, or whatever the hell else might well be successful in achieving weight loss, but only because they are conducted in a manner that ensures a calorie deficit, not because their is anything magical about emphasizing or neglecting any particular nutrient. People whose primary focus is on cutting weight are needlessly depriving themselves when they engage in these fad diets. I would also maintain that these same people are more likely to fail because their entire dietary existence is based upon a nonsense premise of "forbidden fruit". For whatever reason, some folks just feel the need to make things far more complicated than they need to be.

Whilst I mostly agree with this there are people who do switch to something like keto for the long term because it does reduce hunger and cravings. It's not for everyone and there certainly are people who engage in these restrictive diets (diet as in what they eat, not for weight loss) just because it is the latest thing. Those people certainly will have a high failure rate because it's not sustainable. That said, no harm in trying if you're doing it from a researched point of view with no magical expectations.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options

So long as you are talking about the just context of weight loss, CICO is the only variable that matters. "Eating clean" or engaging in fad diets like keto, paleo, zone, or whatever the hell else might well be successful in achieving weight loss, but only because they are conducted in a manner that ensures a calorie deficit, not because their is anything magical about emphasizing or neglecting any particular nutrient. People whose primary focus is on cutting weight are needlessly depriving themselves when they engage in these fad diets. I would also maintain that these same people are more likely to fail because their entire dietary existence is based upon a nonsense premise of "forbidden fruit". For whatever reason, some folks just feel the need to make things far more complicated than they need to be.

Whilst I mostly agree with this there are people who do switch to something like keto for the long term because it does reduce hunger and cravings. It's not for everyone and there certainly are people who engage in these restrictive diets (diet as in what they eat, not for weight loss) just because it is the latest thing. Those people certainly will have a high failure rate because it's not sustainable. That said, no harm in trying if you're doing it from a researched point of view with no magical expectations.

I am all for anything as far as diet that people can stick with as a permanent lifestyle change, but they should do so with the full knowledge of the reality of the situation and not harbor delusions based upon myth or pseudoscience. If people feel more full from keto, paleo, "eating clean" or whatever the hell else and end up eating less? Great! But they should at least be aware that their weight loss has nothing to do with their choice in food but on their caloric deficit. There are far too many people out there who actually believe that their weight loss success is tied to their fad diet of choice, which as we all know is nonsense.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/95/4/989

This is actual scientist; from people actually trained and that conduct research. Fung is just another MD trying to play PhD/researcher to capitalize on the industry. MD's identify and treat disease. Researchers do all the upfront work.

Essentially, energy balance (CICO) is complicated and a variety of things can influence CO or absorption of CI. In the end, tracking calories over time and making adjustments is beneficial. But it does come down to CICO and in some cases you need to look at a variety of options (generally the lean treating to get leaner - thanks to adaptive thermogenesis).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I like Fung, although I know his work is largely theory.

I think reducing insulin is a healthful approach to living. I don't think keeping insulin low is crucial for weight loss. I do think low insulin (and steadier BG) is helpful for improving your health which can be very helpful when it comes to controlling your weight.... and keeping yourself healthy.

I know weight loss comes down to a calorie deficit but lowered insulin can help people hit that lower caloric intake. Just cutting a few hundred calories is not maintainable for all people, I personally have a hard time with constant hunger after a few weeks. If changing the what and when of a person's diet improves their health and helps them lose weight easier, then great!

If you are lucky enough, or young enough, to not need to do anything more cut calories to lose weight, and can successfully do that over the long term, then great. I consider you to be fortunate. I'm a bit jealous.

Obese and insulin resistant... That's a REALLY large number of people in North America now - it looks like over half ... a majority.

Proof source for your data of over half?

It's a bit complicated. It's a mixture of those actually diagnosed with diabetes (which includes prediabetes IIRC) and a survey of those who are undiagnosed (they did sampling/have assumptions based on criteria). It should also be noted the prediabetes creteria was decreased in the US about 5 years ago, which would increase the amount who have some sort of insulin resistance.