Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

CICO/Thermodynamics/Insulin- discuss!!

Options

Replies

• Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Firstly, I'm not trying to bash anyone for how you've lost your weight. That's the last thing I want anyone to see this as.

But just because you lose a lot of weight doing something, doesn't mean what you did was efficient or the best way. And losing a lot of weight and doing a little research doesn't instantly make you a Nutrition expert.

I just hate how on here it's ALL about CICO when there are a lot more things that effect FAT LOSS.

Edited: to explain what I mean by there are a lot more things that effect fat loss; hormone levels (testosterone, estrogen, insulin, growth hormone), stress levels, types of food you're eating (macro split)
    Of course hormones matter. But you're speaking of the general population. I betting you're more on the level of concern with COMPETITION since you compete. And if we're being honest in competition, there are no competitors I know of who just use FOOD ONLY to prep for a contest and low body fat %. Supplements and other drugs are definitely implemented into their diets.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Firstly, just because your friends doing competitions are on drugs, doesn't mean everyone is.

Secondly, hormones play more of a role than anything in terms of fat loss and muscle gain. They literally change the way your body works for the good or for the bad depending on what they're doing. They literally effect CICO to the point people can have a lot of trouble losing any weight at all and to the point where muscle gain is pretty much inevitable. They change the way your body absorbs nutrients, it's literally the most important part in determining our body composition.
    Lol, I want to see someone sitting on their *kitten* eating no protein who has "pretty much inevitable" muscle gain because of hormones that did not come out of a syringe.

Well that it exactly what I am saying. Guys or girls are on drugs are able to put on muscle essentially without doing anything. Same goes the opposite when guys or girls are low on test, they will have a lot of trouble putting on muscle mass. Same goes for your thyroid hormone, if you have a issue with your thyroid, it doesn't matter what mfp says it thinks your calories burned are, they can be significantly lower. I am not saying CICO is not true because of your hormones, I am saying, hormones effect where excess calories get stored (muscle or fat) and where additional calories are taken from (muscle or fat) to a large extent.

Make up your mind.

About what?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Firstly, I'm not trying to bash anyone for how you've lost your weight. That's the last thing I want anyone to see this as.

But just because you lose a lot of weight doing something, doesn't mean what you did was efficient or the best way. And losing a lot of weight and doing a little research doesn't instantly make you a Nutrition expert.

I just hate how on here it's ALL about CICO when there are a lot more things that effect FAT LOSS.

Edited: to explain what I mean by there are a lot more things that effect fat loss; hormone levels (testosterone, estrogen, insulin, growth hormone), stress levels, types of food you're eating (macro split)
    Of course hormones matter. But you're speaking of the general population. I betting you're more on the level of concern with COMPETITION since you compete. And if we're being honest in competition, there are no competitors I know of who just use FOOD ONLY to prep for a contest and low body fat %. Supplements and other drugs are definitely implemented into their diets.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Firstly, just because your friends doing competitions are on drugs, doesn't mean everyone is.

Secondly, hormones play more of a role than anything in terms of fat loss and muscle gain. They literally change the way your body works for the good or for the bad depending on what they're doing. They literally effect CICO to the point people can have a lot of trouble losing any weight at all and to the point where muscle gain is pretty much inevitable. They change the way your body absorbs nutrients, it's literally the most important part in determining our body composition.
    Lol, I want to see someone sitting on their *kitten* eating no protein who has "pretty much inevitable" muscle gain because of hormones that did not come out of a syringe.

Well that it exactly what I am saying. Guys or girls are on drugs are able to put on muscle essentially without doing anything. Same goes the opposite when guys or girls are low on test, they will have a lot of trouble putting on muscle mass. Same goes for your thyroid hormone, if you have a issue with your thyroid, it doesn't matter what mfp says it thinks your calories burned are, they can be significantly lower. I am not saying CICO is not true because of your hormones, I am saying, hormones effect where excess calories get stored (muscle or fat) and where additional calories are taken from (muscle or fat) to a large extent.

Make up your mind.

About what?

Whether it's drugs or diet.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Except, the primary way to maintain muscle and maximise fat loss is adequate protein alongside strength training. And that is stressed quite a lot.

For the vast majority of the population, including those with specific aesthetic goals that will achieved through some sort of strength straining then nutrient partitioning, hormone levels (which, incidentally, is also often addressed by the recommendation to take diet breaks and eat at maintenance for one or two weeks) and macros beyond hitting protein and enough fat for nutrient absorption then we get to majoring in the minors.

There's not many wanting to get a physique for bikini or bodybuilding competitions. There's not many who want to look like a fitness model. Most people just want to be a healthy weight and look good, to them, in their clothes.

Do you really think 50 year old Joe or Josephine Blogs wants to be drowned in the minors you're so obsessed with?

I'm obsessed with helping people succeed.

Hormones is not a "minor".

And I'm not even sure what you're saying in the second paragraph so I can't even respond.

So tell me. A 300lb female comes to you because she's been told by her doctor she needs to get control of her weight. It's the kick up her backside she needed but is overwhelmed and doesn't know where to start. She's always been overweight, grew up in a family where everyone is obese. What is your advice? Exactly as you would give it, not a vague synopsis but exactly what you would say at that initial consultation.

Going to quote myself because I genuinely want to know the answer from @RAD_Fitness

Still waiting.

Don't hold your breath......
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yes that's true, but it sounds more like you're insisting that everyone in the general population is bereft of correct hormone levels. The general population just needs to do CICO to lose weight, not try to manipulate their hormones. There are people that have hormonal issues, but then they need to discuss that with their endocrinologist and get a on plan to balance that out.

Lol, who said I'm affiliated with anyone doing competitions? I've competed and have first hand experience of all the shenanigans that competitors do to get ready for a comp. You gonna be honest here? Did you use anything supplement or drug wise to get ready for competition or did you just do it with just food and exercise? Because again realize that the majority of people in the general population aren't looking to look like a competitor and don't need to manipulate their hormones to just lose some weight.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options

Again it sounds like you are insisting that the general population has a problem with hormone regulation. The majority don't and don't need to worry about this.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Make up your mind.

About what?

Whether it's drugs or diet.

The whole point I am making is that hormones are not a minor factor, but a major factor in body composition. The drugs were brought on when it seemed as though ninerbuff seemed to imply that not only do I, but others I work with use other things than just food to get to a low bf %.
    Oh I'm not implying it. I'm betting on it. Again be honest: Did you ONLY USE FOOD to get in competition shape? I doubt it. And I don't really care cause I have yet to see anyone (even a natural) do it with only food and nothing else.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Again it sounds like you are insisting that the general population has a problem with hormone regulation. The majority don't and don't need to worry about this.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That has been my impression too. And of course that's as silly as saying that your neurons are the most important thing for running because your legs don't work properly if your brain doesn't send the signals to your leg muscles so you don't look like the guy from QWOP. Technically correct but not something any healthy person has to waste even a single thought on as those things work fine subconsciously.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    In denouncing CICO early in the article, Dr. Fung creates this strawman: "So, eating a calorie reduced, low fat, high carbohydrate diet, insulin levels stay high, but calories comes down." I stopped reading there with the assumption that Dr. Fung then demolishes his strawman and goes on about insulin regulation.

That wasn't the first strawman he created in that article, either. He is a credentialed doctor and he is trained in understanding and treating pancreatic production of insulin, but he's talking down to us and that grates on me.

It's interesting that you should mention Dr. Fung's "credentials", especially when you consider that a quick check on PubMed reveals that he has authored exactly ZERO articles in the peer reviewed medical literature on Nephrology or anything else for that matter. This is a common tactic of quacks. They will shout it to the mountaintops in glorified blogs or in books they might author, but they are unwilling to subject their conclusions to the rigors of scientific evidence which can be properly evaluated for efficacy and validity. There is a common phrase in scientific research which states that "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence". It's up to him to provide this or he can go back to signing books at Barnes and Noble.