Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

CICO/Thermodynamics/Insulin- discuss!!

Options
12346»

Replies

• JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Rewrite: In my own personal experience, it's easier for me to eat moderately when I'm eating foods that contain primarily protein and fat, and it's difficult for me to eat moderately when I'm eating foods that contain high glycemic load carbs and fat. I'm sure there are lots of people like me, and lots of people who don't share my experience. I have no desire for us all to be the same and I don't seek to convert anyone.

I think there are lots of people like you in this. I am (to some extent, I also find foods that include more fiber and whole food carbs like potatoes and sweet potatoes and legumes quite easy to eat moderately and some foods that are primarily fat, like cheese, harder to eat moderately). More significantly, since I don't eat just one kind of food, I also find it easy enough to eat moderately when I eat MOSTLY foods that have protein, fiber, and some fat (I find fat in a food doesn't make it more filling, but fat in my overall diet makes me more satisfied). If I also include, in smaller amounts, some foods that would be less filling on their own (like a little cheese or a little ice cream or some chocolate), that doesn't affect how filling my overall diet is. It might be different if I were trying to keep a huge deficit, of course.
    Point is, for those like me that tend to binge on things like nachos and donuts, following a low carb diet facilitates compliance with a calorie restricted diet.

Well, bingeing is really a separate thing from not finding food filling, and I think will differ from binger to binger, although for some bingers putting foods off-limits can be harmful.

To the extent you mean to be talking about foods being filling or not, and these foods not being filling, or simply avoiding these foods, AGAIN, following a low fat diet would have the same effect, or following simply a nutrition conscious diet, as you aren't going to be eating lots of nachos or donuts within a limited number of calories if focusing on getting nutrition. There's nothing special about low carbing here. (I low carb, but I eat nachos and donuts about as often as I did before low carbing, which is almost never. For me the calories from those foods aren't really worth it. If I loved them, I'd find a way to fit them in, of course.)
    Focusing only on CICO spelled disaster for me in the past because I hadn't yet discovered that it's not in my best interest to satisfy my cravings for carbs until I hit my calorie limit for the day.

Well, first, from what you said above, it's NOT carbs you were craving, but foods that are a mix of certain kinds of carbs and fat. I hate that people act as if all carbs are the same and the usual so called junk food is all "carbs" when it's as much fat.

Beyond that, this idea of "only focusing on CICO" meaning ignoring the effect of foods on you, satiety, nutrition is a strawman. I do CICO to lose, and also tend to low carb, because I prefer eating that way, and don't eat a lot of low nutritent foods because I find it easier when I do not. That doesn't mean CICO is wrong or doesn't work or isn't what I'm doing (or what people keto-ing are doing).

The main thing is that there ARE differences between people in what helps them keep a deficit or eat at maintenance when that's appropriate, so that's why CICO is the right answer -- each person then gets to figure out what works for them to eat the right amounts vs. thinking the solution for everyone is low carb or whatever.

NOTHING about CICO means ignore macros or nutrition. That seems to be something that you created as a strawman. It does mean there's no correct macro breakdown that's best for weight loss in general or that everyone needs to follow.

You have one of the most pragmatic takes on LC that I have heard in awhile, which I frankly find quite refreshing in the sea of nonsense that I typically hear from the Keto crowd here and elsewhere. Many of those folks tend to talk about everything but CICO, or else intentionally try to downplay or minimize it's fundamental importance. It's both laughable and pure pseudoscientific drivel most of the time, and yet I guess I understand. People generally feel the need to defend their choices as the correct one. Part of the human condition.

I am a 100% advocate for any diet plan that can consistently achieve a deficit in those who are overweight or obese. There is almost nothing these folks could possibly do that would have a larger long term impact on their overall health and lessen their chances for a plethora of preventable illnesses. The NIH and most other US and EU based health governing bodies have been increasingly clear on caloric restriction. https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-research-matters/pathways-underlying-benefits-calorie-restriction.

I guess the thrust of my argument is that I would not mind the Keto (or really any of the fad diet) crowd nearly as much if they did not constantly try to make outrageous and unproven claims and would simply state that it's what they find most personally helpful to them in maintaining a caloric deficit or limit.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I can't post ALL of my clients obviously, but this is one who was featured in our local paper. And in the article, he states that all I did for him to lose weight was have him learn how to moderate food and get some form of exercise in. Got him from 355lbs down to 265lbs in a year and he's kept it off since then.
    No need of "manipulating" hormones as mention by RAD_fitness. Again, CICO works just fine if applied correctly.

derek_zpsd11f611d.jpg

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

But do you really care about helping people be successful? Because sure he lost 90lbs but 90lbs of what? Were his hormones such that all that wasn't muscle?
    Absolutely care. We didn't do a lot of cardio at all. The majority of his exercise was strength. He didn't like to do cardio and only did it sparingly. He did get really strong though. He played football when he was younger as a lineman and at 6'3" he was about 240lbs at the time. As he aged, like most linemen he just wasn't physical anymore, but still ate the same. He developed Type II diabetes and went on insulin. With the weight loss, his endocrinologist lowered his dosage to just minimal amounts now. We didn't get rid of it, but vast improvement.
    I do what I do not because of the money. I made more money being a manager in several retail places. I do it because I like teaching people and helping them get to their best if they want. The gratitude you get from that when they succeed is what makes it worth making less than I could doing a job where profit is the only bottom line.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I know I'm labouring the point but I asked what advice @RAD_Fitness would give my theoretical 300lb newb on page 1. Then twice again on page 3. If someone thinks they want to help people with better advice than the rest of us have because of factoring in hormones and nutrient partitioning then I want to know what that looks like in practice. What specific advice are you giving that morbidly obese individual who comes from a morbidly obese family with little knowledge of human physiology or what a well rounded diet looks like?

I'm interested to know. Because you are so vehement in your assertion we are all giving out terrible advice but I have yet to see you putting into practice by way of detailed answer how to implement the use of nutrient partitioning or exactly how we figure out what our hormones are doing and how to maximise their functioning to help weight loss.

Well, I'm getting exhausted watching you repeat yourself so I will add what I learned in another thread. Rad would suggest an obese person do 150 minutes of cardio, but should not lift weights since all obese people are too weak and out of shape for such things. Or that's how I read it anyways. I'm not too keen on his diet ideas either. Eating a SAD while counting calories and lifting as heavy as I can with good form has gotten me excellent results.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I know I'm labouring the point but I asked what advice @RAD_Fitness would give my theoretical 300lb newb on page 1. Then twice again on page 3. If someone thinks they want to help people with better advice than the rest of us have because of factoring in hormones and nutrient partitioning then I want to know what that looks like in practice. What specific advice are you giving that morbidly obese individual who comes from a morbidly obese family with little knowledge of human physiology or what a well rounded diet looks like?

I'm interested to know. Because you are so vehement in your assertion we are all giving out terrible advice but I have yet to see you putting into practice by way of detailed answer how to implement the use of nutrient partitioning or exactly how we figure out what our hormones are doing and how to maximise their functioning to help weight loss.

Well, I'm getting exhausted watching you repeat yourself so I will add what I learned in another thread. Rad would suggest an obese person do 150 minutes of cardio, but should not lift weights since all obese people are too weak and out of shape for such things. Or that's how I read it anyways. I'm not too keen on his diet ideas either. Eating a SAD while counting calories and lifting as heavy as I can with good form has gotten me excellent results.

As a minor point, I have also requested some cited evidence from him on a previous thread for some highly spurious claims that immediately sent the red flags a flying and got no further response. Granted that if I had a dime for the number of time I have heard nonsense posted here on the forums I would be a billionaire by now, but I thought it was worth noting.

What I have managed to ascertain over time is that many supposed "gurus" within the fitness industry make a living, or at least draw attention to themselves, by pitching bogus "secrets" to those who are too green to understand that they have been trolled for all practical purposes. There are only so many ways you can tell people to cut calories to drop weight and increase calories and add protein to pack muscle. In order to keep people (and often consumers) engaged and coming back for more, they pretty much just make stuff up.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I can't post ALL of my clients obviously, but this is one who was featured in our local paper. And in the article, he states that all I did for him to lose weight was have him learn how to moderate food and get some form of exercise in. Got him from 355lbs down to 265lbs in a year and he's kept it off since then.
    No need of "manipulating" hormones as mention by RAD_fitness. Again, CICO works just fine if applied correctly.

derek_zpsd11f611d.jpg

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

But do you really care about helping people be successful? Because sure he lost 90lbs but 90lbs of what? Were his hormones such that all that wasn't muscle?
    Absolutely care. We didn't do a lot of cardio at all. The majority of his exercise was strength. He didn't like to do cardio and only did it sparingly. He did get really strong though. He played football when he was younger as a lineman and at 6'3" he was about 240lbs at the time. As he aged, like most linemen he just wasn't physical anymore, but still ate the same. He developed Type II diabetes and went on insulin. With the weight loss, his endocrinologist lowered his dosage to just minimal amounts now. We didn't get rid of it, but vast improvement.
    I do what I do not because of the money. I made more money being a manager in several retail places. I do it because I like teaching people and helping them get to their best if they want. The gratitude you get from that when they succeed is what makes it worth making less than I could doing a job where profit is the only bottom line.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I might have been being facetious. I should've added smilies.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

As a minor point, I have also requested some cited evidence from him on a previous thread for some highly spurious claims that immediately sent the red flags a flying and got no further response.

Unfortunately, that is his M.O. He likes to start arguments he can't finish. Unfortunately, some less well read might heed his advice.
  • mmapags
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

As a minor point, I have also requested some cited evidence from him on a previous thread for some highly spurious claims that immediately sent the red flags a flying and got no further response.

Unfortunately, that is his M.O. He likes to start arguments he can't finish. Unfortunately, some less well read might heed his advice.

I believe it's the "look it up if you want to know" approach. Which isn't really how it works.

And a lot of what is said appears to be lifted/parroted straight from an article, well, series of articles, by Lyle McDonald but without actually understanding how it's applied IRL.

I think he states a bunch of stuff he believes without the rationale to back it up. He does seem to recommend Kyle's Rapid Fat Loss protocol without saying that and with a shallow understanding of what it really is.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

I believe it's the "look it up if you want to know" approach. Which isn't really how it works.

And a lot of what is said appears to be lifted/parroted straight from an article, well, series of articles, by Lyle McDonald but without actually understanding how it's applied IRL.

I think he states a bunch of stuff he believes without the rationale to back it up. He does seem to recommend Kyle's Rapid Fat Loss protocol without saying that and with a shallow understanding of what it really is.

I think it's more UD2.0 to be honest, that seems to be where it's more practically applied by Lyle. RFL is a whole other ballgame (and one I've given a go a couple of times) but both protocols are very prescribed and not for, or of interest, to the average person.
  • mmapags
    Options

I think it's more UD2.0 to be honest, that seems to be where it's more practically applied by Lyle. RFL is a whole other ballgame (and one I've given a go a couple of times) but both protocols are very prescribed and not for, or of interest, to the average person.

Exactly!
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Rewrite: In my own personal experience, it's easier for me to eat moderately when I'm eating foods that contain primarily protein and fat, and it's difficult for me to eat moderately when I'm eating foods that contain high glycemic load carbs and fat. I'm sure there are lots of people like me, and lots of people who don't share my experience. I have no desire for us all to be the same and I don't seek to convert anyone.

I think there are lots of people like you in this. I am (to some extent, I also find foods that include more fiber and whole food carbs like potatoes and sweet potatoes and legumes quite easy to eat moderately and some foods that are primarily fat, like cheese, harder to eat moderately). More significantly, since I don't eat just one kind of food, I also find it easy enough to eat moderately when I eat MOSTLY foods that have protein, fiber, and some fat (I find fat in a food doesn't make it more filling, but fat in my overall diet makes me more satisfied). If I also include, in smaller amounts, some foods that would be less filling on their own (like a little cheese or a little ice cream or some chocolate), that doesn't affect how filling my overall diet is. It might be different if I were trying to keep a huge deficit, of course.
    Point is, for those like me that tend to binge on things like nachos and donuts, following a low carb diet facilitates compliance with a calorie restricted diet.

Well, bingeing is really a separate thing from not finding food filling, and I think will differ from binger to binger, although for some bingers putting foods off-limits can be harmful.

To the extent you mean to be talking about foods being filling or not, and these foods not being filling, or simply avoiding these foods, AGAIN, following a low fat diet would have the same effect, or following simply a nutrition conscious diet, as you aren't going to be eating lots of nachos or donuts within a limited number of calories if focusing on getting nutrition. There's nothing special about low carbing here. (I low carb, but I eat nachos and donuts about as often as I did before low carbing, which is almost never. For me the calories from those foods aren't really worth it. If I loved them, I'd find a way to fit them in, of course.)
    Focusing only on CICO spelled disaster for me in the past because I hadn't yet discovered that it's not in my best interest to satisfy my cravings for carbs until I hit my calorie limit for the day.

Well, first, from what you said above, it's NOT carbs you were craving, but foods that are a mix of certain kinds of carbs and fat. I hate that people act as if all carbs are the same and the usual so called junk food is all "carbs" when it's as much fat.

Beyond that, this idea of "only focusing on CICO" meaning ignoring the effect of foods on you, satiety, nutrition is a strawman. I do CICO to lose, and also tend to low carb, because I prefer eating that way, and don't eat a lot of low nutritent foods because I find it easier when I do not. That doesn't mean CICO is wrong or doesn't work or isn't what I'm doing (or what people keto-ing are doing).

The main thing is that there ARE differences between people in what helps them keep a deficit or eat at maintenance when that's appropriate, so that's why CICO is the right answer -- each person then gets to figure out what works for them to eat the right amounts vs. thinking the solution for everyone is low carb or whatever.

NOTHING about CICO means ignore macros or nutrition. That seems to be something that you created as a strawman. It does mean there's no correct macro breakdown that's best for weight loss in general or that everyone needs to follow.

I spoke only of my own experience. No strawman accusation necessary here. I simply explained what didn't work for me: focusing only on CICO and not macro balance. It was a mistake born of stubbornness and lack of experience on my part to ignore macro balance and focus exclusively on how many calories I was consuming. I enjoyed my carb heavy diet and was unwilling to add more protein. I had to be pushed very hard into increasing protein and decreasing carbs, and once I did that I learned something very valuable for myself that was life changing and life saving. This lesson was for me, not for the world. I didn't say it was for the world.

• MFPSK1977
    MFPSK1977 Posts: 31 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Is it saying that CICO = believers in starvation mode?
    I couldn't help but cringe when he said something about Biggest Loser studies and made a Justin Bieber quote.
    We’ve recommended cutting calories for weight loss for the last 40 years. During that time, we’ve had a huge obesity epidemic.
    That totally correlates. Must be the cause. :D
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options

derek_zpsd11f611d.jpg

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I might have been being facetious. I should've added smilies.
    Lol, noted. At least people now know I really care. ;)

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I lost weight following CICO when one specific hormone was, as the Dr put it "if I saw this report without meeting you or knowing your age I would have said it's from someone who's in their 80's".
    And I didn't gain scads of LBM after being put on therapy. It wasn't until I started lifting weights again that I saw an increase in LBM.
    Biggest increase I saw was in energy levels. I actually felt like doing something as opposed to just flopping on the couch or not willing to go anywhere or do anything.