How did you chose your goal weight?

Options
elphie754
elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
Looking to see how other people have came up with their goal weight.

One of my SOs wants me to aim for 130-140 (currently 260).

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    My goal weight chose me :D I was aiming for 60 kilos, which had been relatively easy to maintain for a long while as a young adult. I easily reached 58 when dieting before, but I couldn't keep it up. With MFP, 58 kilos has become my new top of the goal weight range. I aim to be under, but I let myself approach it before I make any radical moves. Just living a normal life, lets my weight fluctuate around 56 kilos with a kilo on either side.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Seriously? That's awesome
  • savvymommy13
    savvymommy13 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    That's a really good question! I guess I was thinking back to when I was in my best shape in my 20s. Now I'm mid-40s so I'll have to work harder to get there. Now that you've got me thinking, though, I might amend my goal weigh so it's a bit more achievable. Then move it again when I reach each goal. Maybe it won't be so daunting them. Good food for thought. Thank you!
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    My current goal weight is 65 kg, due to my height. It's not set by me, but a doctor for a procedure I want to do. Once that's done (if still needed) I will reassess. I have always been a bit on the heavier side of things; the majority of my adult life (and teenage life) I've spent in the low 80's. I think I would be very happy with around 70, but it all depends on how I feel once I get there and probably also what I look like; I don't mind weighing more if what I'm carrying is muscle. But like I said, I will decide what feels good once I get to my first goal.

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    My initial goal was 55 kgs which is the top end of my BMI range. Once there I decided on 48 kgs which is in the middle of my healthy BMI range.
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Aiming for the weight I was when I started college. I'm only 23 so that really wasn't too long ago for me, a manageable goal. Of course, the number itself is all about vanity - I'll recomp when I get close, because it's more about body composition for me personally.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    My doctor wants me as close as possible to the middle of the healthy weight range (around 65kg) to help manage some of my health issues. So that's my goal.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I am also aiming for the middle range for a healthy BMI. I know it's an imperfect tool but I don't think it's a terrible guideline for my purposes.

I wanted to base my goals on something with some scientific basis on it, not an arbitrary clothing size.

Which was good - I've always tended towards the heavy and didn't actually realize that I could well be slimmer than I was in college!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I looked back over the last 20 years and picked the weight where I was the most healthy and happy and active and strong.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    It's where I was before I got pregnant and at my fittest.
  • Syneea
    Syneea Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I was overweight after the children and just wanted to be back in a "normal weight range"....Like others, I know that BMI is not the end all, however it has provided me with a target that medical professionals reference for our records, so I went with that - The upper end of normal....So I got there and reevaluated..now I am in the middle of the range and would like to go a bit lower to the lower end of the mid range...I lift and do cardio like he88 (because I enjoy it) so I am making nice progress...just have little things I'd like tweaked and wonder if the lifting with 5 more pounds down will get me there...So initially BMI and now what I see in the mirror is determining my scale goal...wanting to see what I look like at different lower weights while lifting weights.