Of refeeds and diet breaks

Replies

• anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    anubis609 wrote: »
    Ah okay. Well, we share midsection loose skin and I never had a baby.. I just can't for biological reasons :lol: Indeed, any form of progressive resistance and strength training (and protein) will at the very least slow down the effects of osteopenia, if not improve bone health. As for any arthritic/joint pain management, supplementing omega-3 + DHA/EPA or eating fatty fish several times per week and turmeric/circumin + black pepper seem to be natural anti-inflammatories. And let's just throw in mushrooms because I like them and because I've been seeing their touted benefits all over Twitter today

Also have a little mid-section loose skin, which I think is completely unfair because never had babies (theoretically capable, but ew), and never been *that* overweight, and never for long.

Good ol' genes and skin elasticity.. or lack thereof :grimace:

I think it's my body's payback for rapid weight loss at some point in the well pre-MFP past.

I'm in the 7th hell of payback for .. well everything I've done to my body in the pre-MFP past haha
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Ah okay. Well, we share midsection loose skin and I never had a baby.. I just can't for biological reasons :lol: Indeed, any form of progressive resistance and strength training (and protein) will at the very least slow down the effects of osteopenia, if not improve bone health. As for any arthritic/joint pain management, supplementing omega-3 + DHA/EPA or eating fatty fish several times per week and turmeric/circumin + black pepper seem to be natural anti-inflammatories. And let's just throw in mushrooms because I like them and because I've been seeing their touted benefits all over Twitter today

Also have a little mid-section loose skin, which I think is completely unfair because never had babies (theoretically capable, but ew), and never been *that* overweight, and never for long.

I think it's my body's payback for rapid weight loss at some point in the well pre-MFP past.

I'm in the 7th hell of payback for .. well everything I've done to my body in the pre-MFP past haha

I've gotten off lightly, all things considered. Though to be fair, I wasn't trying to lose weight rapidly, just a consequence of not eating when I'm uber stressed then ED kicking in. My skin's elasticity is also a bit crap though.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    So far, with a high of 220lbs at 5'5 I have not a sniff of loose skin. Now that may change but maybe not. I have lost very slowly, 60lbs over 2.5 years and also good genetics, also barely a sniff of a wrinkle on my face.

Stretch marks though, I have the motherload due to stopping gymnastics and immediately plunging into puberty once all of my energy was now able to go into getting all that going having been delayed (I was a very serious athlete, trained 4-5 days a week so puberty was on delay). But I think I'll take stretchmarks over loose skin but would have just rolled with it anyway.

Such a change through the waist and now you have the (weirdly coveted now, like thigh gaps) back dimples!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Yep, I have back dimples (and face dimples, I'm just dimply). And actually except for at the very top, a thigh gap too. If I did that weird contorted pose they do to accentuate that, I probably do have one. Yay? I do like my back dimples though.
  • anubis609
    So far, with a high of 220lbs at 5'5 I have not a sniff of loose skin. Now that may change but maybe not. I have lost very slowly, 60lbs over 2.5 years and also good genetics, also barely a sniff of a wrinkle on my face.

Stretch marks though, I have the motherload due to stopping gymnastics and immediately plunging into puberty once all of my energy was now able to go into getting all that going having been delayed (I was a very serious athlete, trained 4-5 days a week so puberty was on delay). But I think I'll take stretchmarks over loose skin but would have just rolled with it anyway.

Such a change through the waist and now you have the (weirdly coveted now, like thigh gaps) back dimples!

I've got it all. Tiger stripes, used skin, callused palms, bald spot gifted to me by my father's bloodline.. I feel like a scarred warrior ha!
  • Nony_Mouse

I've got it all. Tiger stripes, used skin, callused palms, bald spot gifted to me by my father's bloodline.. I feel like a scarred warrior ha!

Want my eczema to go with all that? Free to a good home!
  • VintageFeline
    I have a single face dimple. Because I'm special.
  • VintageFeline
    Oh and hip dysplasia in one hip. See, special. Nothing symmetrical. I even have one rogue eyebrow that constantly raises itself.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    heybales wrote: »
    Why do I doubt greatly your strength training is anywhere near aerobic!

Now - when doing the long hikes, are the trails secluded enough it won't matter if you load up on coffee. ;-)

This is a good point. Coffee makes me pee so frequently very shortly after I have drunk it. I drink a couple of coffees in the morning but don't always immediately workout. If I do you can almost guarantee I need to stop at some point for a pee break. Often just during warmup when the sudden bobbing about makes my bladder decide it needstopeerightnow.

I don't even drink coffee and I have this issue. All day long.

Pro tip: don't expect to have a baby at 40 without consequences.

I've been called peanut long before I had kids due to a small bladder.

Now, though, please warn me before saying something funny so I can cross my legs. Also, sneezes please don't catch me off guard. There are some no no exercises for me like anything jumping. And I usually have to pee between sets of squats and deads, even if it's just for peace of mind.
  • Luna3386

I can at least blame babies and genetics. I did not stretch well at all. And with every pregnancy my belly expanded, giving me new stretch marks. And the babies just hot bigger and bigger. And I had my babies really young (3 before I turned 26) so...
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member

Mushrooms are being touted as anti inflammatory now? Well alrighty then! Bring it. I love them.

Seriously, I'm on heavy duty meds for the arthritis, but willing to try other methods to help with the break through pain. Exercise/all day movement seems to be the most helpful thing I do to manage things.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member

Hopefully this doesn't sound creepy @VintageFeline but I have been impressed with you. You caught my eye when I admitted to eating ice cream that fell on the floor and was covered in dog hair because I had weighed it out. Then you admitted to eating stuff that had cat hair on it! I have seen your posts here and there and have noticed the changes in your profile picture and have continually been impressed with your perseverance to keep at it. I really think that slow and steady has paid off in a big way for you!

@Nony_Mouse I totally see a difference! Refresh my memory - was that a fast woosh? I see some changes in your arms too!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    A nice little NSV for me, my thighs have shrunk! I was looking at them when I was doing yoga, and thought 'hmmm, you guys look smaller...', and sure enough :) (my upper thighs are my really obvious fatty bit, not so much that they're disproportionately big compared to the rest of me, that's just where the obvious visible layer of fat is). Srsly, not that long ago, the tops of them looked like they had toddler arm floats around them :D (this was after I'd started really strength training in earnest again, and the muscle underneath had tightened up a bit, made the fat around the tops really obvious).

My "saddlebags" are infuriating. They are so going to cling on to the last gasp. Any sort of side plank type action there they are, flopping about to remind me of their gravitational pull. Honestly if they went and I got another inch off my waist I'd call it good and go to recomp. Alas that ain't happening without a wodge of cash, a white coat and a vacuum so carry on losing I shall.

I swear I could diet down to underweight levels and still have mine. They are legacy fatness and will never leave. Mine are compounded by loose skin hanging out there too. It's just so lovely. Thankfully, compression garments do wonders.
  • anubis609
    edited November 2017

Mushrooms are being touted as anti inflammatory now? Well alrighty then! Bring it. I love them.

Seriously, I'm on heavy duty meds for the arthritis, but willing to try other methods to help with the break through pain. Exercise/all day movement seems to be the most helpful thing I do to manage things.

Indeed they are!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1160565/

Speaking of being open to other methods, I'm *that* person that has stash of timed nootropics and ergogenics if I think it will actually regulate cognitive ability and mood, and slightly help with training :no_mouth: .. but I can say that w-3 and circumin+piperine has been studied long enough to actually be a legitimate suggestion.
  • Luna3386
    bioklutz wrote: »

Hopefully this doesn't sound creepy @VintageFeline but I have been impressed with you. You caught my eye when I admitted to eating ice cream that fell on the floor and was covered in dog hair because I had weighed it out. Then you admitted to eating stuff that had cat hair on it! I have seen your posts here and there and have noticed the changes in your profile picture and have continually been impressed with your perseverance to keep at it. I really think that slow and steady has paid off in a big way for you!

@Nony_Mouse I totally see a difference! Refresh my memory - was that a fast woosh? I see some changes in your arms too!

That's from when I started back at a deficit mid-August until now (last weekend). Six painful weeks of straight deficit, in which I lost 1.7 kg on the scale, then diet break for 10 days, weekly refeeds since (another six weeks all up since end of diet break), 2.3 kg in the six weeks since diet break (maybe a little more currently taking a swim in fluid retention). There are changes all over. Basically I've leaned out pretty impressively in the past six weeks!

So more results since you've added in refeeds?!?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Yep, I do nightly curcumin+piperine, made a vast difference to pesky hip pain (which has now probably been further helped by strengthening the surrounding muscles).
  • anubis609
    Luna3386 wrote: »
    bioklutz wrote: »

That's from when I started back at a deficit mid-August until now (last weekend). Six painful weeks of straight deficit, in which I lost 1.7 kg on the scale, then diet break for 10 days, weekly refeeds since (another six weeks all up since end of diet break), 2.3 kg in the six weeks since diet break (maybe a little more currently taking a swim in fluid retention). There are changes all over. Basically I've leaned out pretty impressively in the past six weeks!

So more results since you've added in refeeds?!?

Amazing how it works, right?

I almost forgot that this is what the thread is about lol
  • anubis609
    Yep, I do nightly curcumin+piperine, made a vast difference to pesky hip pain (which has now probably been further helped by strengthening the surrounding muscles).

Exactly. I superdose w-3 on days I'm not eating fatty fish which is practically everyday and season my food with turmeric and black pepper, just to mitigate nagging joint and muscle aches from training 6 days a week. I really should be including more rest and recovery days.