Of refeeds and diet breaks

Options

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Oh, I should add, that 3,164 is what MFP says Fitbit says. Fitbit deficit is actually lower. Since Fitbit is currently glitching, I can't crunch those numbers, but when I use what the Fitbit site gives me, I generally get about 60 calories less a day thereabouts. So the gap between what I lost and what the Fitbit web site numbers would predict is even wider.

This tells me not to go by what Fitbit says I have left to eat. ;)

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Oh, I should add, that 3,164 is what MFP says Fitbit says. Fitbit deficit is actually lower. Since Fitbit is currently glitching, I can't crunch those numbers, but when I use what the Fitbit site gives me, I generally get about 60 calories less a day thereabouts. So the gap between what I lost and what the Fitbit web site numbers would predict is even wider.

This tells me not to go by what Fitbit says I have left to eat. ;)

How do you log your strength training?

Are you on HR-based Fitbit?

Fitbit uses close to Mifflin BMR as foundation, but slightly different, they don't say what exactly, I've never found the exact formula that matches.

But, that being the case, the majority of your day could be based on a BMR that is under-estimated because you have more LBM than expected for age, gender, height, weight of formula.

Used to be you could tweak the height (and correct the stride length then) to make the BMR hit a more correct BF% BMR formula, or tested RMR.
    But now height & weight is used for BMI which is used in the HR-based calorie burn formula for exercise level stuff.

But - if most workouts are manually logged because NOT cardio (lifting and intervals) - then that part doesn't matter.

Or indeed as any TDEE method - you get an estimate and fine tune it.

What I would suggest - take what appears to be the better TDEE estimate, divide by Mifflin BMR at this point - and find out your personal multiplier.
    If you spreadsheet log data - by date and that info, with notes on workout, can make it easier in the future to change TDEE as seasons or workouts or weight changes.
    Just use the same multiplier for the season or workout routines, with current BMR - you got current TDEE.
    No need for a month to discover a new TDEE when the season is only 3 months or less long perhaps.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I'm not currently strength training due to crushing fatigue. I think I'm in a PsA flare, so I'm on a bare minimum of more intense exercise actually. I do have a habit of doing bodyweight squats while I brush my teeth at night and doing counter push ups while I swish around my mouthwash, but that's not really anything major in the calorie burning department, ykwim?

When I do log strength training, I have a Charge 2 and just set my watch to log it. It logs around the figure that the MFP data base has, maybe slightly lower.

I tried doing the spreadsheet and got a lower TDEE than I get from my Fitbit (to the tune of 300 calories), so I think my perception of what I do on the regular is skewed.

What I have is really high NEAT, which I've made habitual. It's not really exercise, but I walk a lot as part of my day.

It's easy to keep this up even when fatigued because it's low effort, and actually being active helps with the fatigue. Just sitting makes it set in more.

I could adjust the height thing. I have shrunken, actually, and that might be why I'm having this issue. I used to be 5'3" when I was younger and now I'm 5'1".
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    anubis609 wrote: »
    That’s a helluva hike @Nony_Mouse! I’d like to hike something like that one day. When I’m not a hermit lol. And just to mime all responses, “clean” eating is another form of nightmare fuel I went through as well. Orthorexia ahoy.

Nutrient density doesn’t have to be “clean” .. just focus on foods that get you the best bang for your buck depending on your goal. Set protein, then set the other two as you see fit. And because I’m an introvert, my cooking style is “crap in a pan” and served on “premium paper” plates. So in that sense, nutrient density comes in the form of eggs or carton egg whites, canned meat, supermarket deli meat, or microwaveable roast, actual vegetables, pork rinds, halo top ice cream, and protein bars. Basically my nutrients are fortified. I’m practically a child lol.

Funny thing is, I practically am a hermit! Introvert to the max (slightly better than you on 'cooking', but only because I pretty much eat the same things every day, cos it's easier anxiety-wise, and I have a dishwasher, otherwise I'd totally be on board with the paper plates). But I'm a hermit who loves being in the bush, and climbing stupidly big hills. Often on my own. My hiking buddy for tomorrow is pretty much the only person I will hike with, because he's pretty much the only person I know who can do it, keep up, not whine about difficulty/distance/etc. If anyone is slowing us down, it's me.

Lol perhaps it's also because I fit the lifestyle of a typical bachelor. I've plated a few meals #forthegram but every other day I eat for convenience.

I'm an extroverted introvert, if it makes any sense. I prefer to do my own thing but I'll be spontaneous and social if the mood calls for it.

On the Myers-Briggs scale I'm an INTP: https://www.16personalities.com/intp-personality
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    That’s a helluva hike @Nony_Mouse! I’d like to hike something like that one day. When I’m not a hermit lol. And just to mime all responses, “clean” eating is another form of nightmare fuel I went through as well. Orthorexia ahoy.

Nutrient density doesn’t have to be “clean” .. just focus on foods that get you the best bang for your buck depending on your goal. Set protein, then set the other two as you see fit. And because I’m an introvert, my cooking style is “crap in a pan” and served on “premium paper” plates. So in that sense, nutrient density comes in the form of eggs or carton egg whites, canned meat, supermarket deli meat, or microwaveable roast, actual vegetables, pork rinds, halo top ice cream, and protein bars. Basically my nutrients are fortified. I’m practically a child lol.

Funny thing is, I practically am a hermit! Introvert to the max (slightly better than you on 'cooking', but only because I pretty much eat the same things every day, cos it's easier anxiety-wise, and I have a dishwasher, otherwise I'd totally be on board with the paper plates). But I'm a hermit who loves being in the bush, and climbing stupidly big hills. Often on my own. My hiking buddy for tomorrow is pretty much the only person I will hike with, because he's pretty much the only person I know who can do it, keep up, not whine about difficulty/distance/etc. If anyone is slowing us down, it's me.

Lol perhaps it's also because I fit the lifestyle of a typical bachelor. I've plated a few meals #forthegram but every other day I eat for convenience.

I'm an extroverted introvert, if it makes any sense. I prefer to do my own thing but I'll be spontaneous and social if the mood calls for it.

On the Myers-Briggs scale I'm an INTP: https://www.16personalities.com/intp-personality

Can also be quite extroverted, but I burn out quick. INFJ.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    That's right - I forgot that came up in Fitbit forum about the improved Fitbit logging of strength training, and you were the tester.

Increased NEAT is the best extra calorie burn because mainly fat burn. So true on feeling more tired when sitting more.

Only when combined with steep deficit is it bad idea for retaining muscle mass.

The height aspects of BMR calc is to obtain averages, I'd bet the main burner of BMR hasn't changed much -
    metabolic organs.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

I too love a hike. Before the whole hip dysplasia thing I was really getting into it. Hours just me, great views whether in the midst of trees or on top of a hill and sweaty exertion. A very nice solo pursuit. I want to start doing some again but have to pick less strenuous routes *shakes fist at anatomy*.

I too have a dishwasher or I too would use paper plates most likely.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

I too love a hike. Before the whole hip dysplasia thing I was really getting into it. Hours just me, great views whether in the midst of trees or on top of a hill and sweaty exertion. A very nice solo pursuit. I want to start doing some again but have to pick less strenuous routes *shakes fist at anatomy*.

I too have a dishwasher or I too would use paper plates most likely.

Yeah, it's funny, because the long full days used to be something that I didn't do because it was just me. Then I got the hell over that whole putting things off because I didn't have someone to do them with, and discovered I love doing it on my own. I always have a check in person for safety, in case I get lost, fall over and snap an ankle, or whatever. Some people did actually get lost on the track I'm doing tomorrow early last year, for four days. But, foreigners. Others got lost on the three hour one immediately behind my town, and when I first did that one I was like 'how??'. I mean, those little orange track markers on trees can be tricky to spot sometimes, but you stop and look around until you find the damn thing. And if you can't, you fire up the GPS app on your phone and check the damn map.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options

Hey, thanks for that link! Very interesting. Took the test and I'm a Virtuoso (ISTP-a).
    Which makes sense because I love tearing things apart and rebuilding them. Or trying something like setting up my own nickel plating system in the garage.

• GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    Bodyweight workouts can still be very demanding :smile: Last year, I did pure calisthenics routines and progressively overloaded by adding more reps and sets.. intensity was increased by varying degrees of elevation, tempo, or incorporating explosive movements. For example even if you did counter push-ups, if you do a 4-count slow eccentric then an explosive push back up to almost lift you off the counter to standing, and did that multiple times, you'd feel it. As long as it's challenging, it's beneficial.

Having a high level of NEAT is practically optimal for reasons you've stated. Being absolutely sedentary is what gets most people into trouble in regard to nagging aches and pains.

Exactly. My arthritis is not happy when I sit still for long periods of time. I have a home treadmill. I walk at least 10-15 minutes out of every hour, sometimes more if I feel antsy. Walking is also my stress relief.

When I'm not fatigued, running is my therapy and mood booster in addition to my walking.

• Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Good Lord a whole load of posts since I last checked this thread, I will sit down and read them when I have some free time

I'm now on day 121, 47lbs down, still dropping 2.9lbs per week on average eating 2000 cals per day

Still not seen a significant increase in hunger, I do need my meals come meal time though

Have scheduled diet break for Christmas time. Adding 700 cals per day.

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Good Lord a whole load of posts since I last checked this thread, I will sit down and read them when I have some free time

I'm now on day 121, 47lbs down, still dropping 2.9lbs per week on average eating 2000 cals per day

Still not seen a significant increase in hunger, I do need my meals come meal time though

If you're still losing 2.9lbs a week (which is too damn fast, but you seem determined not to listen on that), then an additional 700 cals is nowhere near going to bring you to maintenance. Ergo not a diet break because it won't do jack to bring hormones back in line. You need to be adding more like 1500 cals a day based on that rate of loss.

Seconding this.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

If you're still losing 2.9lbs a week (which is too damn fast, but you seem determined not to listen on that), then an additional 700 cals is nowhere near going to bring you to maintenance. Ergo not a diet break because it won't do jack to bring hormones back in line. You need to be adding more like 1500 cals a day based on that rate of loss.

Thirding. It's simple math, and VintageFeline was kind enough to do it for you.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

Not doing it again right now, but IIRC, so am I.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

Not doing it again right now, but IIRC, so am I.

Yep, we've discussed this. You are.