Of refeeds and diet breaks

Options

Replies

• nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    maybyn wrote: »

For those who lift, how "clean" must your diet be? Are macros really important in order to see real results? I've seen a couple of comments in that thread about clean diets. This would be my downfall/impediment to any lifting program I do - at this stage, I don't think I can last very long with eating "clean" (by that, I assume no junk food??).

I have been eating way less "clean" to up my carbs for lifting (partial bags of sweets like fruit pastilles instead of whole melons and lots of fruit) and increasing my calories overall. I eat loads of snacky, whacky fatty, non-fibrous stuff and have been feeling great on it. In fact, the less restrictive I have become, the better I feel (well d'oh!)...but that has to do with the psychology of why I am here (ED past). Food is my friend, I do not label things good, bad or junk, etc. Protein is the main one to keep up when lifting and in deficit whilst lifting. Let the rest fall where they may (apart from feeling way better with the higher carbs at the moment too). Have been craving umami flavours lately which means I probably need more salts...

For the Myers Briggs fans I am an INFP. I could easily hermit and my family do not really understand it. I need me time for recovering from the stress (I take long walks to do so or go and read books or go and talk about books) Busy places really drain me...

• ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I'm a weaver and work retail at a spinning, weaving & knitting shop. I can more easily put on my social persona there because our customers are all fiberistas of one shade or another, and we speak the same language. With a more mixed group I'm likely to be quietly defending the corner by the bookshelf before escaping into the night.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Luna3386 wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    anubis609 wrote: »
    anubis609 wrote: »
    That’s a helluva hike @Nony_Mouse! I’d like to hike something like that one day. When I’m not a hermit lol. And just to mime all responses, “clean” eating is another form of nightmare fuel I went through as well. Orthorexia ahoy.

Nutrient density doesn’t have to be “clean” .. just focus on foods that get you the best bang for your buck depending on your goal. Set protein, then set the other two as you see fit. And because I’m an introvert, my cooking style is “crap in a pan” and served on “premium paper” plates. So in that sense, nutrient density comes in the form of eggs or carton egg whites, canned meat, supermarket deli meat, or microwaveable roast, actual vegetables, pork rinds, halo top ice cream, and protein bars. Basically my nutrients are fortified. I’m practically a child lol.

Funny thing is, I practically am a hermit! Introvert to the max (slightly better than you on 'cooking', but only because I pretty much eat the same things every day, cos it's easier anxiety-wise, and I have a dishwasher, otherwise I'd totally be on board with the paper plates). But I'm a hermit who loves being in the bush, and climbing stupidly big hills. Often on my own. My hiking buddy for tomorrow is pretty much the only person I will hike with, because he's pretty much the only person I know who can do it, keep up, not whine about difficulty/distance/etc. If anyone is slowing us down, it's me.

Lol perhaps it's also because I fit the lifestyle of a typical bachelor. I've plated a few meals #forthegram but every other day I eat for convenience.

I'm an extroverted introvert, if it makes any sense. I prefer to do my own thing but I'll be spontaneous and social if the mood calls for it.

On the Myers-Briggs scale I'm an INTP: https://www.16personalities.com/intp-personality

Can also be quite extroverted, but I burn out quick. INFJ.

I was reading that this is the most rare personality type @Nony_Mouse

I'm a ISFJ. I love Myers Briggs stuff.

Are we just a big bunch of introverts in here?

Yeah, I like to go for the rare things, personality type, red head (though that has gone more mousy reddish brown under the enhancer), one of the lucky 4% of adults who get eczema...

Hike day!!!!! It's 6.30am, clear blue skies. Slightly chilly. It's going to be stunning, though possibly a tad nippy at the top of the mountain (1102m elevation). Oh, and my hike food is the antithesis of 'clean' - dried fruit (so sugar with some extra sugar), nut protein bars, chocolate...I guess the raw almonds are 'clean'.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Going to be taking an unplanned diet break. My daughter ended up showing up 3 weeks early. So i figured ill diet break through thanksgiving.

Welcome to the world, Lemonette!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    What I have logged for 'lunch' (fibre and potassium at the end, cos lol sugar and sodium):

Alison's Pantry - Tropical Fruit Mix, 200 g 2,780 145 10 2 0 0
    Tasti - Protein Bar - Dark Choc Orange, 40 g (1 bar) 812 15 10 10 0 0
    Usda 100g - Almonds Raw, 50 g 1,211 11 25 11 6 367
    Whittakers - Sante Dark Chocolate Bars, 25 g 573 15 8 1 0 0
    Whittakers - Sante Dark Chocolate Bars, 25 g 573 15 8 1 0 0
    Add Food Quick Tools 7,573 231 81 45 6 367

Oh and kilojoules, not cals. Plus more unlogged food in case.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I'm wondering if I'll ever be hungry today. I still feel full from all the cereal and yogurt I ate for dinner last night. So. much. cereal.

I'm planning on pizza for refeed day #2. The family ordered pizza last night and is eating leftovers of it tonight, so I'll make mine and join them. Mine's a gluten free cauliflower hybrid crust that has rice flour and tapioca starch in it too. It got a good review in the new products thread. All I care about is that it's 570 calories for the whole crust so I can eat a whole pizza by myself.

I bought the naked crust, so I can make it with my own toppings.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I just did a myer Briggs test online for interest...
    Got INTJ-T (architect) - haven't read the explanation properly yet but the quick snippets I read sound like me.

I'm still plodding along with higher cals - I am half way through Ph3, and figure being in a deficit will make that absolutely horrible. I am interested to see how I would respond if I go back to a deficit again though, so will finish off this training program (making it a 3 month diet break, trying to slowly increase cals) and then implement a deficit/refeed period to see what happens. (unless Dr's orders are different by that stage...)

Since starting 6 weeks ago, my "weight" on libra has gone up 200g. This past week I've been at a consistently higher weight than normal, even after a low cal/carb day, but dropped nearly a kg overnight... Weird!
  • eponine1984
    eponine1984 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Awesome insights, @anubis609. That being addicted to results really resonates. I continue to fight that mentality, because I know it's part of what led to my binging. I probably will always continue to fight that mentality.

Yup. My normal response to only having a kg to lose would have been 'hell, I can just go hard and knock that off in a week!', and here I am, saying 'oooh, diet break!' instead. Well proud of myself :)

I'm looking forward to reaching that point in my mindset. I'm struggling a bit since the scale went up a pound from last week to this week and my instincts were A) try to not eat anything until the scale dropped B) skip the diet break until I "earned" it. I have done an okay job of ignoring those instincts, but it hasn't been easy.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I like to go for the rare things, personality type, red head (though that has gone more mousy reddish brown under the enhancer), one of the lucky 4% of adults who get eczema...

Is this adults who develop eczema as adults or who still have eczema as adults if they had it as children? I've never heard this before. I also have eczema though it's been mild lately and I typically deal with more dry cracked bleeding skin than I ever did before.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Luna3386 wrote: »

Is this adults who develop eczema as adults or who still have eczema as adults if they had it as children? I've never heard this before. I also have eczema though it's been mild lately and I typically deal with more dry cracked bleeding skin than I ever did before.

I'm actually not sure. But most people who have eczema as a child grow out of it, so I think that's the figure for adults full stop. For years I only had very occasional flares. Kicked in big time nearly two years ago, subsided over winter, came back in summer and has never left, though if I stay on top of it is fairly controlled. Thought is that it is definitely a perimenopause thing for me, and made worse by some foods (which I obviously now avoid).
  • JoLightensUp
    JoLightensUp Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    So, so beautiful! Thanks for posting the photos @Nony_Mouse. I was hoping you would!
    Sleep well. :)
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    So, so beautiful! Thanks for posting the photos @Nony_Mouse. I was hoping you would!

Agreed - makes me want to visit NZ!

Come on over! I'll drag you up big hills :)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

Agreed - makes me want to visit NZ!

Come on over! I'll drag you up big hills :)

That would be lovely! I may have to start training to keep up with you though, I'm not sure I'd fit your expectations of a hiking partner :p I do push myself hard though, and leave my husband for dead on the few hikes we've done together... Haha