Of refeeds and diet breaks

Options

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Leeg5656 wrote: »
    Week after Diet Break: (Data for those interested) (All days eating somewhere around 1200 give or take 50)
    Day 1: 193.6 weighed in am
    Day 2: 192.4
    Day 3: 191.8 (my pre-diet break weight was 191.5)
    Day 4: 192.2
    Day 5: 191
    Day 6: 191
    Day 7: 191.4
    This morning: 190.6!

Takeaways:
    1) I struggled to eat at 1200 deficit and was very hungry most of the week. Just like the first week I started (Aug 1).
    2) @anubis609 I'm a wine drinker and during my diet-break I went back to drinking a glass or two every night. I continued it this week, but I can't do that again and have enough calories to eat my nutrition goals. I'm going back to saving it for the weekends. Food much more important.

Looking forward to Thursday! Yum Yum. I am planning an additional 100 cal deficit leading up to Thursday so I can eat them back Thursday and Friday leftovers. (I'm not even going to pretend that I'm going to even try to track calories Thursday)

@Nony_Mouse Great pics!

I will check in from week to week from now until my next diet break, but don't worry, I won't be giving you a day by day playback.

Peace out.

Do you need to be eating that low? What are your current stats?
  • SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    Options

Do you need to be eating that low? What are your current stats?[/quote]

I'm not sure what you mean? Height? 5'0"
  • VintageFeline
    Options

I'm not sure what you mean? Height? 5'0" [/quote]

Sorry, height, weight, incidental activity (steps per day/active job) and any exercise. If you do exercise do you eat any of those calories back?
  • SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    Options

I'm not sure what you mean? Height? 5'0"

Sorry, height, weight, incidental activity (steps per day/active job) and any exercise. If you do exercise do you eat any of those calories back?[/quote]

5'0" 190# Desk job, I try to keep active after work, but I don't do traditional exercise yet because I have hip problems. I plan on adding exercise when my hip can handle it.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Up two pounds this morning. Am reminding myself that it's water weight/fluctuations, and that hey, it's still a pound lower than last week's peak, which also was coincidentally on a Monday, as were the two weeks before. (AKA: Why I freak out on Mondays.)

So went down the Google rabbit hole, and found this: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24504358

Was very reassuring to see that this Monday peak cyclical peak could just be a normal fluctuation, and that I'm not some freak of the universe.

Very interesting. I was way up this morning, but I had a really salty dinner last night. I'm so bloated that I had to change the hole I use to strap on my Fitbit.

And of course, today was the day I had to go to a doctor's office and face a weigh in there :p
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Up two pounds this morning. Am reminding myself that it's water weight/fluctuations, and that hey, it's still a pound lower than last week's peak, which also was coincidentally on a Monday, as were the two weeks before. (AKA: Why I freak out on Mondays.)

So went down the Google rabbit hole, and found this: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24504358

Was very reassuring to see that this Monday peak cyclical peak could just be a normal fluctuation, and that I'm not some freak of the universe.

That's actually a really good find. I assure you most people tend to fluctuate up after the weekends simply because most relaxed and social occasions happen then. By contrast, most people tend to be at their leanest toward the end of the week, Thur/Fri/Sat, depending on what day they observe to be the end of their work week/beginning of relaxation :smile:
  • anubis609
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Morning all. I am a puffy, bloated beached whale, and my quad still hurts like a mofo. To the point that I think it would be unwise to strength train today, and will probably drive to work to rest the stupid muscle completely. Bah. I will use the opportunity to do some errands in the next town over beforehand and take some heavy things in (bench top blender I never use at home so I can make protein shakes with the free work milk), so I don't feel so bad not walking on a pristine day.

Thank god I'm on diet break so I can still eat a decent amount even if I end up barely moving.

beached%20az%20blue%20n%20thrill-800x800.jpg

Optionally, you could do an upper body strength routine, but that's dependent on how the rest of your body feels lol.

Today is apparently #puffday for most haha.
    HDBKLM wrote: »
    anubis609 wrote: »
    Haha well spotted. Though, I must say I’m also quite articulate when I’m not sober on the rare occasion :wink: Though, that’s just carryover from years of experience... consider it periodized sobriety :tongue:

Your articulateness was never in question, sober or not :smile: I've read everything you've posted on here with great interest, both for the content and because you express yourself very well. I consider myself your fan :tongue:

Ah, thank you @HDBKLM :) You have my condolences and my gratitude on your taste :lol:
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    I thought about just working around the quad @anubis609, but figure I'll train tomorrow all going well, and just do back to back days for workouts A and B this week.

Puff will hopefully subside today or tomorrow. Stupid cycle has decided to change again after lulling me into a false sense of security by staying the same three months in a row. My feet are so chubs I don't even want to wear shoes. Luckily, no one seems to be enforcing that whole shoes at work thing anymore (technically it's a construction site, I got told off for wandering around barefoot outside early last year when my lab was first moved to that complex).
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

That's actually a really good find. I assure you most people tend to fluctuate up after the weekends simply because most relaxed and social occasions happen then. By contrast, most people tend to be at their leanest toward the end of the week, Thur/Fri/Sat, depending on what day they observe to be the end of their work week/beginning of relaxation :smile:

I was really interested to see that the effect was more pronounced in those who were looking to lose or maintain.

I don't tend to go up on calories during the weekend (the weekend is usually when I'm having to remind myself that Oh, Right. Food needs to happen), but I do tend to do more things involving body weight -- moving furniture, mowing the lawn, back to back workout days, etc -- so I could totally buy some temporary swelling from that increased usage.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

Very interesting. I was way up this morning, but I had a really salty dinner last night. I'm so bloated that I had to change the hole I use to strap on my Fitbit.

And of course, today was the day I had to go to a doctor's office and face a weigh in there :p

Yeah, tonight I've got the MRI on my foot. If they ask a weight, I am *so* giving them Sunday's number instead. :D
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options

Yep, that's me. Monday is almost always my highest weight of the week, and I'll hold that usually until about Wednesday. Thursday is down and Friday/Saturday are my lowest of the week. So I use Thursday as my weigh day :smile:
  • anubis609
    Options

I was really interested to see that the effect was more pronounced in those who were looking to lose or maintain.

I don't tend to go up on calories during the weekend (the weekend is usually when I'm having to remind myself that Oh, Right. Food needs to happen), but I do tend to do more things involving body weight -- moving furniture, mowing the lawn, back to back workout days, etc -- so I could totally buy some temporary swelling from that increased usage.

Ah, then it's possible that residual fluid retention from muscle is carrying over. But typically the weekends tend to be different from the average work week in terms of activity/mind set.

Since on the topic of maintenance and diet breaks, Sohee Lee just posted this and I thought it was appropriate given the holiday season:
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    I'd say a little over given we're trying to reset all the hormones and shiz. And like you say, rationally you can't pack on 20lbs of fat in two weeks. Just keep repeating that to yourself.

New strength training = water. More food = water and just food in your system. Stress about scale increase = water. It's the great water trifecta.

I'm literally a human balloon over here today. If one of the cats scratches me I might pop like a water balloon and flood the place.
  • eponine1984
    eponine1984 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    5l89x7s8lriy.jpg

If the photo loads, this was me 2 days before giving birth. I was retaining all the water in southeastern Pennsylvania. Hyperbole but not much. If you can see my feet, they were rising up out of my shoes like loaves of dough. I couldn't even close my jaw properly so smiling was awkward. All this to say, I feel ya on the water retention. I remember having words with one of the nurses during a prenatal appointment when the scale jumped 11 pounds in a week - she lectured me on my eating habits - as if I had consumed 35,000 extra calories in 7 days.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    5l89x7s8lriy.jpg

If the photo loads, this was me 2 days before giving birth. I was retaining all the water in southeastern Pennsylvania. Hyperbole but not much. If you can see my feet, they were rising up out of my shoes like loaves of dough. I couldn't even close my jaw properly so smiling was awkward. All this to say, I feel ya on the water retention. I remember having words with one of the nurses during a prenatal appointment when the scale jumped 11 pounds in a week - she lectured me on my eating habits - as if I had consumed 35,000 extra calories in 7 days.

When I was my biggest my feet would look like that after a flight. Sexy.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Definitely better off over-shooting cals on a diet break. You need your body to recognise that the food shortage is over so those hormones will come back in line.

Consoled myself for bloatiness by finally buying new shorts. Two pairs, different lengths, one size 10 NZ, the other size 9. The 10s fit perfectly so hopefully won't loosen up too much with wear. The 9s in the longer style were necessary because the 10s were way too loose around the bottom of my thighs, look fine and will loosen off a bit around the top anyway (and hopefully not around the cuffs!). Why can't they just make things for my hourglass hips?? Oh, and 10s were tried on a few days ago before bloatiness but not bought. They were out of 9s in black so I was dilly dalying not being sure if they'd be a better fit allowing for loosening.