Of refeeds and diet breaks

Options

Replies

• dancefit2015
    dancefit2015 Posts: 236 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »
    That article was great :lol: I'm in college so I tend to procrastinate, or give my future self "responsibility debt", with homework and my favorite way to procrastinate is to do something else productive. This makes me pretty good about going to the gym or staying within my cal goal but awful at time management when it comes to school. Either way that article was very relatable.

You're welcome! And I'm one of the best procrastinators out there, so I feel your struggle lol.

Just as a suggestion since you have a definitive goal, assuming protein is kept consistent and appropriate for your lbm: just play with carbs and fat to either be at a deficit or maintenance. If protein is constant, you don't have to worry about whether you're losing so much muscle mass, it's filling, and it promotes better body composition even in an accidental surplus of protein.

If you do the standard 6-7 week deficit with days of maintenance thrown in, then your vacation becomes your diet break. Just be mindful of food choices but don't get crazy in either direction. And if you hit your vacation weight goal, calculated maintenance is for that weight.

I hear all sorts of numbers and equations for adequate protein... What would you recommend? Last I checked (via calipers) I had 147 lbs of lbm. I rarely eat meat and don't eat a lot of dairy products either so on average I am getting 50-60 grams of protein daily. I feel satisfied on this but I'm not sure if it's enough to maintain my lbm.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! I just tweaked my calories up a bit - it was what I had previous calculated to be my maintenance, but then I panicked and cosined when I should've tangented and reworked a new number. I'm traveling for the next week or so, so I won't have my scale and I won't be able to obsess over every little jump. Bad thing for the math nerd in me who wants all the numbers. Good thing for the obsessive in me who needs a week off from over analyzing everything.

I'll still log and enjoy and indulge. I'm not prone to binges, but my husbands family starts pouring wine with breakfast so I'll have to be vigilant about drunk snacking. I've found planet fitnesses in the cities we're visiting and we're signed up for a turkey trot so I should get some movement in.

I find it really lovely when I go on holiday and have no scale. As much as I like the numbers, two weeks without it and no logging is a nice break and teaches me a few things. My annual trip is usually to Disney World so I do eat all the food because 1. Disney 2. America but with all the walking it's generally minimal damage. Except this year, was the giant caramel frappuccinos that undid me! And I wasn't so great in the head so didn't get out and about nearly as much as usual. But I was still meh about it. It's once a year and I full enjoy it.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    That article was great :lol: I'm in college so I tend to procrastinate, or give my future self "responsibility debt", with homework and my favorite way to procrastinate is to do something else productive. This makes me pretty good about going to the gym or staying within my cal goal but awful at time management when it comes to school. Either way that article was very relatable.

You're welcome! And I'm one of the best procrastinators out there, so I feel your struggle lol.

Just as a suggestion since you have a definitive goal, assuming protein is kept consistent and appropriate for your lbm: just play with carbs and fat to either be at a deficit or maintenance. If protein is constant, you don't have to worry about whether you're losing so much muscle mass, it's filling, and it promotes better body composition even in an accidental surplus of protein.

If you do the standard 6-7 week deficit with days of maintenance thrown in, then your vacation becomes your diet break. Just be mindful of food choices but don't get crazy in either direction. And if you hit your vacation weight goal, calculated maintenance is for that weight.

I hear all sorts of numbers and equations for adequate protein... What would you recommend? Last I checked (via calipers) I had 147 lbs of lbm. I rarely eat meat and don't eat a lot of dairy products either so on average I am getting 50-60 grams of protein today. I feel satisfied on this but I'm not sure if it's enough to maintain my lbm.

I'd definitely up protein if you're only getting 50-60g. General recommendation you'll see floating around here is 0.8-1g per lb of ideal weight. I can highly recommend protein powder as a way to help hit that, means you get to have a milkshake every day ;) (says the woman who just lugged a little bench top blender to her lab so she can have shakes at work as well as at home :D).
  • dancefit2015
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

I hear all sorts of numbers and equations for adequate protein... What would you recommend? Last I checked (via calipers) I had 147 lbs of lbm. I rarely eat meat and don't eat a lot of dairy products either so on average I am getting 50-60 grams of protein today. I feel satisfied on this but I'm not sure if it's enough to maintain my lbm.

I'd definitely up protein if you're only getting 50-60g. General recommendation you'll see floating around here is 0.8-1g per lb of ideal weight. I can highly recommend protein powder as a way to help hit that, means you get to have a milkshake every day ;) (says the woman who just lugged a little bench top blender to her lab so she can have shakes at work as well as at home :D).

Thank you for the advice! I am actually already having a protein shake daily (21g), so about 1/3 of my protein already comes from supplementation. Maybe I could add another one? I really just need to start cooking more nutrient rich meals again, but I've been lazy from all the stress that comes with the last month of the semester.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options

I hear all sorts of numbers and equations for adequate protein... What would you recommend? Last I checked (via calipers) I had 147 lbs of lbm. I rarely eat meat and don't eat a lot of dairy products either so on average I am getting 50-60 grams of protein daily. I feel satisfied on this but I'm not sure if it's enough to maintain my lbm.

The usual recommendation is roughly 0.8-1.0g protein/lb/lbm or 0.6-0.7g/lb/total body weight.. in the case for women especially, more than you normally eat is probably going to get you close to what is optimal. Sometimes 1g/lb of ultimate goal body weight is used as a really rough estimate.

The reason why protein also works in the case of dieting, is that it's really hard to overeat. I mean, you can, but it's not comforting lol. If you can't get it in from whole food sources (animal/dairy), then eggs/fish are good options, assuming they're not all smothered in oil/butter and deep fried.

And as @Nony_Mouse suggested, whey/soy protein powder supplements help in the event you are low. My usual strategy is to aim for protein first and whatever carbs/fat comes along for the ride as a side dish or whatnot.

Put it this way, if you're not eating enough protein, any scale weight loss is going to be a large portion of water, fat, AND muscle.. without enough skeletal muscle mass you end up in the "skinny fat" category.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

Thank you for the advice! I am actually already having a protein shake daily (21g), so about 1/3 of my protein already comes from supplementation. Maybe I could add another one? I really just need to start cooking more nutrient rich meals again, but I've been lazy from all the stress that comes with the last month of the semester.

Have two ;) Or mega shakes. I often end up doing the latter. Shake is my bedtime supper, so it's used to mop up any extra calories. Last night I went chocolate with dark choc peanut butter - 400ml of milk, 50g protein powder, 30g PB, lots of ice, nom, nom, nom!! I'm actually always kinda sad when I only have enough calories for a standard 250ml milk, 25g powder and ice one. It has been suggested that I may have a problem...
  • dancefit2015
    Options
    Thank you both for your help! I think I will start with supplementing with another shake or protein bar for about 80grams, and aim for 100+ grams daily. Hopefully I can hit that with beans, quinoa, grains and veggies because I cannot stand sea food or eggs unfortunately... I'm too picky for my own good. :persevere:
  • dancefit2015
    Options
    Oh and nuts! good protein and fats there!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Thank you both for your help! I think I will start with supplementing with another shake or protein bar for about 80grams, and aim for 100+ grams daily. Hopefully I can hit that with beans, quinoa, grains and veggies because I cannot stand sea food or eggs unfortunately... I'm too picky for my own good. :persevere:

That's a good place to start, you're hitting a good minimum there at least :). And my protein intake was about that for long enough, before I discovered the wonder of shakes. yesterday I got 176g all up :D
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options

Plant based protein is fine also, you might actually need more plant protein for the bioavailability of essential amino acids. Sohee has a sample for vegan/vegetarian choices just to give you an idea (it's clickable to see the caption)

• dancefit2015
    Options

Plant based protein is fine also, you might actually need more plant protein for the bioavailability of essential amino acids. Sohee has a sample for vegan/vegetarian choices just to give you an idea (it's clickable to see the caption)

Awesome, thank you!
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I too am a crazy cat lady, I have three. Two ginger females and an all black male, who every winter looks like a very large fluffy football, cos he gains loads of weight...he also has another three families in the area who feed him (discovered one of his other homes, when I was cycling to work one morning and he stopped by someone else's front door and wanted me to let him in, ha!). The only person he seems to tolerate is me, mumsy cat, or is it mumsy kitten...does not like the kids or any other members of the fam. They keep me sane, cuddles, purrs and funny antics. And smells.

Feeling content on maintenance cals. Prrrrrrrrrr...
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    The whole pizza came to just over 800 calories. I can fit that into my regular diet, not just refeeds. I ended up yesterday after eating that with having to eat a serving of yogurt and 3 servings of cereal and a cup of my brewing chocolate with half and half in it to hit maintenance calories for the day.

*sighs dreamily* looking forward to the day when I have to actually scrounge around to get enough calories in a day!

Unfortunately for me, my brain and stomach are definitely not communicating well, and this diet break has proved that to me. If I dig deep and really pay attention, I realize that I'm not really truly hungry - my stomach is fine and dandy. But my brain is dying to have something to eat! And mom's house has lots of temptations - so when I find myself reaching for that bag of sun chips, that's when I know its time to head over to my temporary home in the camper to get away from the temptation....

Oh, and apparently according to the link for personality provided back, I came up as a INFP Mediator type when I took the test. I'm not so sure I fit that, though - I have a pessamistic streak a mile long and consider myself to be a living Eeyore lol Though I found it hard really hard to answer the questions - I couldn't really decide if I agreed or disagreed with the statements and kept thinking "I don't know? maybe? kinda?" so that's probably the problem.

Though it came up as 90% introvert - and that I know is spot on!

Another INFP Mediator here! 86% introvert. And I have a pessimistic streak too. Like you, I had a very difficult time answering some of the questions. For instance, how I relate to people at work is very different than how I relate at a party or with my children. And what I want to be - my ideals - are sometimes very different than what I actually do. I can think a lot about organizing, for example, but still remain unorganized. And I'm a meticulous planner, but like to keep many options open. Hmm. So yes, some questions were hard to answer. Others were easy, and I found myself passionately clicking "strongly agree" or "strongly disagree".

Some questions were brutally hard to be honest with, like the one "Do you feel superior to others?" My natural inclination was to say disagree, but when I started down the list of my family, friends and acquaintances, I had to admit that I had a bit of a superiority complex. Ouch!

The test results seemed pretty accurate, with a few exceptions. Mediators are known to be very active in supporting causes. I'm not. But that could be because my job is a bit like a cause. And maybe my participation in this thread is slightly like a cause.

Even though the Mediator description doesn't completely fit me, very much of it does and it was eye opening to say the least. I've always felt misunderstood and a bit like an oddball, though I try to conceal that I feel that way. Seeing a description of me in print was both eerie and comforting. I was amazed that someone finally understood me, even though I've tried to hide myself away for so long. I was definitely intrigued that there may be others like me out there. So hello fellow INFP!!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,757 Member
    Options
    OK... I missed the memo, help? Where is everyone getting their introversion tested?
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    OK... I missed the memo, help? Where is everyone getting their introversion tested?

Search myers-briggs test online.

I fit the above description, except no cats around here. I'm extremely allergic. *Achoooooo*

I'm not sure if my break last week counted as a diet break, but it was certainly a break. I was home sick all week. Returned to the gym yesterday and deficit eating Saturday. Feeling better and ready again for fat loss. Plan on making Thursday (our Thanksgiving) a refeed day. Then getting back into the routine of refeeds on Saturday and Sundays, but not sure if I should do them weekly...
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

this one was posted by anubis a few threads ago:
    Everted introvert, if it makes any sense. I prefer to do my own thing but I'll be spontaneous and social if the mood calls for it.

On the Myers-Briggs scale I'm an INTP: https://www.16personalities.com/intp-personality
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Everted introvert, if it makes any sense. I prefer to do my own thing but I'll be spontaneous and social if the mood calls for it.

On the Myers-Briggs scale I'm an INTP: https://www.16personalities.com/intp-personality

A few years back I coined the term exhibitionist introvert.

Not shy, certainly not an extrovert, but given a stage literally or figuratively, able/willing to take charge of the room. But with the social preference of intense private meaningful small group/individual relations.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    nexangelus wrote: »
    I too am a crazy cat lady, I have three....

Have I mentioned I'm mom to 6 cats? My oldest is 15 and is king of the house - whenever folks cat sit for me, he's the one they want to steal, and I tell them he's the one I'd fight them for. My mother and my best friend have both stated that if something happens to me, they're going to court for custody :grin:

The next 4 (two males two females) are siblings. I've had them since the day they were born - after their mother was left on the street by a neighbor who didn't want her anymore. She came to my yard and was so starved you could count her ribs :rage: I'm amazed she managed to give birth to 5 healthy kittens! Well, I think everything went to their physical development because they really are some of the dumbest cats I've ever known lol Mom took 1, and thankfully I found a home for the mother about a year later, because she and my oldest didn't get along - she refused to accept a position under him in the pecking order and thus lived under my couch for a year. The kittens (though they're 6 now, I still call them the kittens) grew up with him and don't have a problem. I think they've got Maine coone in them somewhere - they are all big, long haired, with tuffs in their ears and between their toes! Ah but they're my kids - one is even my problem child; every family has to have a problem child, right?

The last one my sister pawned off on me. I had said that once my oldest passed, I was thinking of getting a Siamese. I think my oldest has some Siamese in him - he displays a lot of the character traits that Siamese descriptions have listed - moody, talkative, and very possessive of me! - so I thought that a Siamese would be a good fit. Well, my sister calls me up before Christmas last year and said a lady had Siamese kittens she was giving away, and did I want one. I told her that I didn't know, I had 5 cats already, but to send me a picture and I'd think about it. She called me the next day and told me she had my cat. :grimace: We got into rounds on that one because she jumped the gun and refused to admit she was in the wrong and didn't want to take it back. When I got to mom's at Christmas, I found out that 1) the kitten was NOT Siamese; she was Himalayan and 2) she was very, very skittish and mostly wild and terrified. She hadn't eaten for the 3 days mom and my sister had her and she hid all the time and even bit mom once. I finally got her to eat and since the circumstances she had come from was horrible - the lady had a ton of cats that she never spayed or neutered and a bunch of dogs and didn't do much of anything with the animals, so the cats were all half-feral; since that was the situation, I didn't want to send her back, so I reluctantly agreed to keep her. My sister still refuses to admit she was in the wrong about the situation, though......

Little Bit, as I call her, has calmed down some after a year. When its just me at home, she'll come out, rub on my leg, perch on the chair behind my head, and let me pet her. But any sudden movements or if I get up and walk toward her, she still runs and hides. She sleeps all day and plays most of the night, but I have awaken at night to find her on the bed beside me, and she'll let me pet her on the bed, so I figure we've come a long way and she at least accepts me. But if I have anyone else in the house, she hides and will not come out to even eat or drink while they are there (much to my sister's frustration...... :smirk: )

I work long hours, and can't put them on a regulated feed schedule, so I've got 1 big butter ball, 2 over weight, and 3 normal sized. Lizzy, my problem child, is horrible overweight and I do wish I could put her on MFP, but I don't know what to do about it. She eats all the time. BUT my two youngest are the type who will won't come to the bowl until everyone else is done, and then they only grab a bite or two and then leave, come back a little later for another bite or two, and so on - they're grazers. They are both thin, and I'm afraid that if I put the food down for only a little while of a morning, that they'd both not get enough to eat. I've asked my vet about it, but get no helpful answers :pensive:

Anyway, sorry about the derail - I have no human kids or significant other, so my cats are my babies and all I want to talk about lol I am the classic stereotype of the strange spinster cat lady!

When I get my vet wrist slap for having fatties they always say put the food down and take it up when they walk away. The ones not getting their share will soon catch on. And it's true. Chilli naturally wants to hang back but when she's hungry she'll haul *kitten* to get to her food. There's also the feeding separately suggestion. Mine used to be on a twice a day schedule but Horatio needs fed more often (I say needs, I think he's largely playing me but whatevs, I'll spread the food over 4 meals, whatever vague hope of him not destroying everything I own I will pander to).

But yeah, I really want the chip feeders because that would solve a lot of problems.

Edit: I also feed exclusively wet. More filling and it's grain free so less filler an obligate carnivore has no need for).