Why I left Weight Watchers new "Freestyle" Program

I left WW this week because the new "Freestyle" program just will not work for me. I have lost over 20 pounds on their smartpoints program.

WW used to be about flexibility and being able to eat foods you like as long as it fit into your point range. With this latest change, they added 200 food items that are zero points, but by doing this, they took away 7 points a day for everyone. So I went from 30 points a day to 23 points a day. I am a picky eater (and I know they are trying to get people to eat healthier) and most of the foods on the list I wouldn't eat anyway. So I got 7 points taken away for no reason really.

What really got me was yesterday a member posted on the message board (called connect) about how she wasn't enjoying connect anymore because she was "so tired of reading negativity about the new program and this should only be a positive place." Over 5,000+ members "liked" her post and commented things like "preach girl" or "I agree!" So those of us who are struggling with the new change were basically told to not look to connect for support cause they didn't want to hear it. That is was did it for me. I left a post and said "I hear all 5,000+ members loud and clear and you are right this program is not for me. I don't want to belong to a community where so many people can gang up on the few of us that are struggling." It was a really horrible feeling....to be honest. Talk about not feeling part of a community anymore.

So here I am, back to MFP, and I am excited to be able to eat what I want within my calorie range and try to make healthier choices along the way! If there is anyone who would like to start a group to support each other please let me know! :)

Replies

• gooz71
    gooz71 Posts: 97 Member
    newwed412 wrote: »
    I left ww today too because of the new program! I lost 50 pounds on the system they had. Losing 7 points a day has me starving! What they don’t understand is that just because it has 0 points doesn’t mean it has 0 calories. It still has calories! I am with you girl and I am picky too! Decided I would come back and just count calories.

How do we become friends on here?! B)
  • gooz71
    gooz71 Posts: 97 Member
    Wow, sorry that happened. I was told on Connect that I'm doing the program wrong by weighing, measuring, and logging the zero point foods, as well as using points. Apparently a bunch of misinformed people think your supposed to eat off the list only and be miserable. Not me!

I think there is a group for people who left WW. But you have to search around for it. I support anyone on any plan (as long as its healthy) so feel free to friend me. My diary is open. :)

Oh geez, I certainly wouldn't survive only eating off the list!! LOL! The list is why I left! :|

How do I friend you? I'm a little rusty on here....
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    edited December 2017
    gooz71 wrote: »
    Wow, sorry that happened. I was told on Connect that I'm doing the program wrong by weighing, measuring, and logging the zero point foods, as well as using points. Apparently a bunch of misinformed people think your supposed to eat off the list only and be miserable. Not me!

I think there is a group for people who left WW. But you have to search around for it. I support anyone on any plan (as long as its healthy) so feel free to friend me. My diary is open. :)

Oh geez, I certainly wouldn't survive only eating off the list!! LOL! The list is why I left! :|

How do I friend you? I'm a little rusty on here....

I'll send one to you. But from your phone you click on the members name and their profile picture come up. Click on their name again, and two icons come up. One on the left that looks like an envelope to send a message, the otherin the right that looks like two people. That's the one to send a friend request. Click that one, then follow the prompts. Can't remember how to do it from the website.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    on the other thread, the girl on WW's defense said they have a program at WW for the people only wanting to eat the 0 calorie foods.. im trying to remember what she called it...
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    "The list" https://www.weightwatchers.com/us/sites/default/files/freestyle_zero_points_foods.pdf

I just bought a kg of cherries. I assure you, I can eat a kg of cherries in a day no problems (I have to have a little bowl to put the pits in to count later, b/c I will just grab a few every time I wander past). That's 500 calories right there.

I have a cherry tree in the backyard that s stupid with the amounts of cherries it produces. So I have bags with ~3kg in them frozen in the freezer. I've got no problem thawing and eating one of those. It doesn't fit my calories, but no way could I consider cherries non-calorie.

I anticipate this 'problem' with grapes in a couple of months :). And apples, and figs, and watermelon (if I ever get around to planting the poor things), and strawberries...there's possibly a blueberry too, but as yet it is not showing signs of fruit.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    ehloring wrote: »
    Calorie counting is so nicely flexible and easy to calculate. I couldn't stand having to figure out point values that WW assigned to foods. I felt it had become very commercialized as well. At least at the last meetings I had attended- they spent a lot of time pushing their products and foods it became more about making money then really helping people like it used to be years and years ago.

Assuming it's the same model as it used to be, leaders get a paid a pittance for taking meetings (considering the time a decent leader puts into them), and then a commission on sales. I have some vague recollection about meeting payment getting even worse several years ago, which is one of the reasons my mother quit.