All calories ARE NOT created equal !!!

Options
Calories in VS. Calories out is not TRUE! :noway: I was staying under calories (strictly) & working out hard (whats considered hard for me. lol.), but eating whatever I wanted. That didn't work. I was losing really slowly and weight would fluctuate like crazy. ie, gain few lbs, lose them back, then lose half a lb from where i started. It was crazy. I was also crazy hungry all the time. :explode: Ok, cut down a little on the carbs, now I am back on track. :drinker: I am not even working out as hard and still losing more weight :laugh: . Now that I have cut the carbs down to one carb- enriched meal per day, for the last week or so, the weight loss is more steady and consistent. Everyone's body is different. Some people do well eating lots of carbs, and still lose, as long as they stay under their calories. Not me! Some have Weight/ Bloating issues eating a lot of meat, protein, or consuming a lot of sodium.
Considering I am a controlled diabetic (I don't take meds b/c my blood sugar is regulated now that I have lost weight.) my body still does not like a lot of carbohydrates (sugar). It does not process and break them down well. Carbs turn straight to stored fat in our bodies. Our bodies burn a protein for fuel before it will chooses a carb for fuel. It will just store the carb as fat. Now I am consuming more protein. I am not on any low carb plan, I am just eating what for one meal per day, then the other meals are mainly, meat & low carb veggies.
So find out what your body's glitch is. If you are struggling with the scale and you seem to be doing everything right, do a process of elimination to your diet. Not cutting things out, but decreasing your consumption of that particular culprit, whether it be protein (meat), carbs (bread, pasta, rice, wheat, potatoes, corn, sweets, sugar, milk, peas), gassy veggies, etc.

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Carbs turn straight to stored fat in our bodies. Our bodies burn a protein for fuel before it will chooses a carb for fuel. It will just store the carb as fat.

This is largely incorrect.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,895 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a unit of energy, period. What your referring to is that different types of macro's have different metabolic pathways and influence our body composition differently.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Ok
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on doing what seems to be working for you. I've recently been doing something similar and am feeling better, less bloated and lost a little weight.
    I'm reading a book called 'Wheat Belly". You might be interested in it. It also talks a bit about diabetes and how wheat reacts to that situation.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Well, if you believe you know what to do - do it!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Calories in VS. Calories out is not TRUE! :noway: I was staying under calories (strictly) & working out hard (whats considered hard for me. lol.), but eating whatever I wanted. That didn't work. I was losing really slowly and weight would fluctuate like crazy. ie, gain few lbs, lose them back, then lose half a lb from where i started. It was crazy. I was also crazy hungry all the time. :explode: Ok, cut down a little on the carbs, now I am back on track. :drinker: I am not even working out as hard and still losing more weight :laugh: . Now that I have cut the carbs down to one carb- enriched meal per day, for the last week or so, the weight loss is more steady and consistent. Everyone's body is different. Some people do well eating lots of carbs, and still lose, as long as they stay under their calories. Not me! Some have Weight/ Bloating issues eating a lot of meat, protein, or consuming a lot of sodium.
    Considering I am a controlled diabetic (I don't take meds b/c my blood sugar is regulated now that I have lost weight.) my body still does not like a lot of carbohydrates (sugar). It does not process and break them down well. Carbs turn straight to stored fat in our bodies. Our bodies burn a protein for fuel before it will chooses a carb for fuel. It will just store the carb as fat. Now I am consuming more protein. I am not on any low carb plan, I am just eating what for one meal per day, then the other meals are mainly, meat & low carb veggies.
    So find out what your body's glitch is. If you are struggling with the scale and you seem to be doing everything right, do a process of elimination to your diet. Not cutting things out, but decreasing your consumption of that particular culprit, whether it be protein (meat), carbs (bread, pasta, rice, wheat, potatoes, corn, sweets, sugar, milk, peas), gassy veggies, etc.

n=1 and you invalidated the energy balance equation? Bravo!
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I ate everything that I wanted under calorie goal and I only lost 91lbs in 12 months but if you say so, random internet person!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    a1AWjMR_460s.jpg

Here's a sloth with a flower for you.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Everybodys different and you gotta ignore the haterz and keep doing you!!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,895 Member
    Options
    And I thank God every day for those differences. :wink:
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    I ate everything that I wanted under calorie goal and I only lost 91lbs in 12 months but if you say so, random internet person!

wow you must have a really fast metabolism. good job on loosing all the wait.
  • jess135177
    jess135177 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Ok, cut down a little on the carbs, now I am back on track.

Did you replace the calories from those carbs with something else? Or did you just reduce your calories and lose weight?
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Speaking of, where is Dani?
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a unit of energy, period. What your referring to is that different types of macro's have different metabolic pathways and influence our body composition differently.

This entirely. Macro composition shouldn't be ignored and a calorie is a calorie. You tend to see illogical positions and misunderstandings when people take these positions to either extreme (e.g., the people who say calories don't matter on LCHF diets or the people who claim calories aren't created equal).
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    tl;dr.

This again? A calorie is a unit of measure. Smh.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Speaking of, where is Dani?

deacto'ed again. :frown:
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    i don't think that your evaluation of how being a 'pre-diabetic' is effecting your metabolism is accurate, but i do think it may create a quirk in your metabolism that higher carbs maybe more problematic for you then an otherwise healthy person.

The major problem with these 'anecdotal analysis' if you will is that they are 100% based on the number on the scale. We all know that there are a lot of factors effecting that, and if you comparing scale numbers within the same week, probably none to very little of that change is due to fat loss or gain.

The only problem i have with your approach is that its doomed to be short term. I mean who really wants to only eat certain foods? for most people there is an inevitable blash.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Aw lawd...here we go again. Where is Jackpot with the dead horse gif??
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition seems to disagree with you:

"We conclude that a calorie is a calorie. From a purely thermodynamic point of view, this is clear because the human body or, indeed, any living organism cannot create or destroy energy but can only convert energy from one form to another. In comparing energy balance between dietary treatments, however, it must be remembered that the units of dietary energy are metabolizable energy and not gross energy. This is perhaps unfortunate because metabolizable energy is much more difficult to determine than is gross energy, because the Atwater factors used in calculating metabolizable energy are not exact. As such, our food tables are not perfect, and small errors are associated with their use.

In addition, we concede that the substitution of one macronutrient for another has been shown in some studies to have a statistically significant effect on the expenditure half of the energy balance equation. This has been observed most often for high-protein diets. Evidence indicates, however, that the difference in energy expenditure is small and can potentially account for less than one-third of the differences in weight loss that have been reported between high-protein or low-carbohydrate diets and high-carbohydrate or low-fat diets. As such, a calorie is a calorie. Further research is needed to identify the mechanisms that result in greater weight loss with one diet than with another. "

Full paper: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/79/5/899S.full