All calories ARE NOT created equal !!!

Options

Replies

• rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I know people like to think that McDonald's calories are the same as whole foods calories, but I've also found that this isn't true. Everyone hates hearing it, but when I switched from strict calorie counting to eating whole foods with limited wheat and dairy the pounds finally started coming off. The belly is FINALLY getting flatter after years of trying different tactics! Honestly I may be an exception and have some sort of wheat, dairy, and additive sensitivities. I'm just saying if what you're doing isn't working, try something else!

I hated the paleo promoters for ever (was vegan for 3 years)! But after years of hearing about the success of people eating this way, I've given it a try and it's working for me. As much as I hated to admit it at first, eating (mostly) paleo has worked almost effortlessly. I don't even follow all the rules all the time! Just doing clean eating most of the time with very little wheat or dairy has my body changing shape. Don't knock it until you've tried it I suppose...

:laugh:

Not think, we know.

Because a calorie is a calorie.

Oh for crying out loud. You recently found what works for YOU (because you've obviously struggled) and therefore you KNOW all the answers? What? Since when? A year ago?

<----Actually, been a member since 2010, see?

And I do not claim to know all the answers, but I do know this: A calorie IS a calorie, regardless of what food it comes from.

Crud. I've been gaining and losing weight for almost 30 years. I'm sort of good at both. Listen. I'm not downing the calorie thing. I pretty much subscribe. But I'm not convinced that simple carbs don't cause inflammation. Is that fair? Science evolves...
  • Ries2013
    Options
    I know people like to think that McDonald's calories are the same as whole foods calories, but I've also found that this isn't true. Everyone hates hearing it, but when I switched from strict calorie counting to eating whole foods with limited wheat and dairy the pounds finally started coming off. The belly is FINALLY getting flatter after years of trying different tactics! Honestly I may be an exception and have some sort of wheat, dairy, and additive sensitivities. I'm just saying if what you're doing isn't working, try something else!

I hated the paleo promoters for ever (was vegan for 3 years)! But after years of hearing about the success of people eating this way, I've given it a try and it's working for me. As much as I hated to admit it at first, eating (mostly) paleo has worked almost effortlessly. I don't even follow all the rules all the time! Just doing clean eating most of the time with very little wheat or dairy has my body changing shape. Don't knock it until you've tried it I suppose...

Not think, we know.

Try eating all the calories you want as fiber and see how long you can live on that. A calorie is a calorie is a myth that needs to be weeded out. The different macro's doesn't make your body react the same.

Eating tons of fructose causes leptin resistance (the body's signal to the brain saying we got plenty of fat in store). So instead of burning the carb/fat intake, it stores it, cause it thinks the fat stores are empty/low.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18703413
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Not think, we know.

Try eating all the calories you want as fiber and see how long you can live on that. A calorie is a calorie is a myth that needs to be weeded out. The different macro's doesn't make your body react the same.

Eating tons of fructose causes leptin resistance (the body's signal to the brain saying we got plenty of fat in store). So instead of burning the carb intake, it stores it, cause it thinks the fat stores are empty/low.

Tell me how a study where they feed rodents a diet with SIXTY PERCENT of calories coming from sugar is relevant to this discussion in any way, shape, or form.

Go ahead, I'll wait.
  • Ries2013
    Options
  • Ries2013
    Options

Not think, we know.

Eating tons of fructose causes leptin resistance (the body's signal to the brain saying we got plenty of fat in store). So instead of burning the carb intake, it stores it, cause it thinks the fat stores are empty/low.

Tell me how a study where they feed rodents a diet with SIXTY PERCENT of calories coming from sugar is relevant to this discussion in any way, shape, or form.

Go ahead, I'll wait.

It shows that a calorie is not a calorie. Isn't that very obvious?
  • Linda09189
    Options
    calories in/ calories out is the only thing that works.....weight watcher is the TOP leading diet plan and that is what they live by.......just heard that on TV
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    calories in/ calories out is the only thing that works.....weight watcher is the TOP leading diet plan and that is what they live by.......just heard that on TV

But can't you eat unlimited vegetables on weight watchers? If that is the case, how can they believe a calorie is a calorie?
  • rockmama72
    Options
    Yeah! OMG! Just start working at it and see what works for you! Don't pay attention to what others swear by... They're not you! Start by logging your calories. Aim for a deficit. Track your weight. Exercise. Figure out your formula. Everyone else means nothing!
  • necee99
    necee99 Posts: 52
    Options

But can't you eat unlimited vegetables on weight watchers? If that is the case, how can they believe a calorie is a calorie?

An AMEN to that!!!! the SCIENCE that weight watchers is following is eat less bad stuff (more points) VS. eat more good stuff (less points) So it's not the amount of calories you take in, sometimes it has to do with WHAT you take in.

True there are lots of factors that come into play like what makes you fuller, have more energy, etc. But some are looking at only the surface of this discussion. We are not talking about science. We are talking about what works for some does not work for ALL. Depending on each person's life style, preferences, etc.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Wait, for the record, I do think EITHER a calorie is a calorie, OR, all calories aren't created equal, but the science hasn't caught up enough to figure out a way of how to prove it.
  • Ries2013
    Options
    Wait, for the record, I do think EITHER a calorie is a calorie, OR, all calories aren't created equal, but the science hasn't caught up enough to figure out a way of how to prove it.

Context, try it.
  • Hornsby
    Options

Context, try it, it is not hard.

No clue what you are saying here.
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Considering I am a controlled diabetic (I don't take meds b/c my blood sugar is regulated now that I have lost weight.) my body still does not like a lot of carbohydrates (sugar). It does not process and break them down well. Carbs turn straight to stored fat in our bodies. Our bodies burn a protein for fuel before it will chooses a carb for fuel. It will just store the carb as fat. Now I am consuming more protein. I am not on any low carb plan, I am just eating what for one meal per day, then the other meals are mainly, meat & low carb veggies.

This statement alone tells me you have never had proper Diabetes Education with your diagnosis. If you had, you would know that Carbohydrates are broken down into glucose and used to fuel your body LONG before protein or fat. If your diabetic and have high blood sugars/A1C then yes your body is using proteins and fats for fuel instead of your carbohydrates but that is because there is not enough insulin being used to be able to use glucose to fuel your body.

I think you definitely need to check your information. I'm glad you are losing weight by decreasing carbs, but to make the above statement is just ignorant.

excellent information!! :smile:
  • Ries2013
    Options

It means to read a sentence and apply its content to the topic. "A calorie is not a calorie" is of cause wrong if you take it literally, but when you read in the context of eating, it means that eating one calorie of X does not provide the same results as eating a calorie of Y.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Yup, some calories are yummier than others! Yeah I'm talking bout you, Ben & Jerry's Phish Food. *drool*

I'm hungry.
  • Ries2013
    Options
    You are fooling yourself if you think that calories in, calories out is not right

You are fooling yourself if you think that it has to go out. It can stay in the system and not go out.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    You are fooling yourself if you think that it has to go out. It can stay in the system and not go out.

you don't understand physics.
  • necee99
    necee99 Posts: 52
    Options

It means to read a sentence and apply its content to the topic. "A calorie is not a calorie" is of cause wrong if you take it literally, but when you read in the context of eating, it means that eating one calorie of X does not provide the same results as eating a calorie of Y.

Yes, Yes, Yes.... u guys should have wrote my post!!! lol :laugh:
  • rockmama72
    Options
    You are fooling yourself if you think that you shouldn't reduce calories and you shouldn't increase exercise, or that Mary Fitnesspal sets the rules. Can we kill this ridiculous out-of-control thread now?