All calories ARE NOT created equal !!!

Options

Replies

• Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Rather you like it or not, threads like this are a diamond dozen.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Yeah! OMG! Just start working at it and see what works for you! Don't pay attention to what others swear by... They're not you! Start by logging your calories. Aim for a deficit. Track your weight. Exercise. Figure out your formula. Everyone else means nothing!

Gotta love this!!! My plan exactly!!
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a unit of energy, period. What your referring to is that different types of macro's have different metabolic pathways and influence our body composition differently.

I'm in love
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Wow, I bet none of you Diabetic nor have any other serious illnesses! but any way if this thread helps one person, Great! :wink:

oh honey...that is SO not the direction to go.

You'd be surprised what people have to deal with. I am also pre-diabetic and I have Fibromyalgia co-morbid with IBS. I'm in pain 24/7 and some days I can't even get out of bed because my body refuses to MOVE (or because my *kitten* is fascinated with the can...yes, y'all needed to know that).

I eat whatever I want and when I keep it within my calorie goal, I consistently lose the amount I set to lose.

I wish people would stop blaming the food and start taking responsibility.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    *peeks head in*
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Rather you like it or not, threads like this are a diamond dozen.

:laugh: :heart:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I know people like to think that McDonald's calories are the same as whole foods calories, but I've also found that this isn't true. Everyone hates hearing it, but when I switched from strict calorie counting to eating whole foods with limited wheat and dairy the pounds finally started coming off. The belly is FINALLY getting flatter after years of trying different tactics! Honestly I may be an exception and have some sort of wheat, dairy, and additive sensitivities. I'm just saying if what you're doing isn't working, try something else!

I hated the paleo promoters for ever (was vegan for 3 years)! But after years of hearing about the success of people eating this way, I've given it a try and it's working for me. As much as I hated to admit it at first, eating (mostly) paleo has worked almost effortlessly. I don't even follow all the rules all the time! Just doing clean eating most of the time with very little wheat or dairy has my body changing shape. Don't knock it until you've tried it I suppose...

:laugh:

Not think, we know.

Because a calorie is a calorie.

Try eating all the calories you want as fiber and see how long you can live on that. A calorie is a calorie is a myth that needs to be weeded out. The different macro's doesn't make your body react the same.

Eating tons of fructose causes leptin resistance (the body's signal to the brain saying we got plenty of fat in store). So instead of burning the carb/fat intake, it stores it, cause it thinks the fat stores are empty/low.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18703413

43% of cals from sucrose, 71% of cals from carbs.

Metabolic and behavioral effects of a high-sucrose diet during weight loss. Am J Clin Nutr. 1997 Apr;65(4):908-15.

www.ajcn.org/content/65/4/908.full.pdf
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Wow, I bet none of you Diabetic nor have any other serious illnesses! but any way if this thread helps one person, Great! :wink:

I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome type three. My joints will fully or partially dislocate at any given time and I'm in severe pain every single day. Assumptions get you nowhere.

Yikes.

There are so many people with adversity on here that make simple excuses look...well, like excuses. :flowerforyou:

:heart:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I know people like to think that McDonald's calories are the same as whole foods calories, but I've also found that this isn't true. Everyone hates hearing it, but when I switched from strict calorie counting to eating whole foods with limited wheat and dairy the pounds finally started coming off. The belly is FINALLY getting flatter after years of trying different tactics! Honestly I may be an exception and have some sort of wheat, dairy, and additive sensitivities. I'm just saying if what you're doing isn't working, try something else!

I hated the paleo promoters for ever (was vegan for 3 years)! But after years of hearing about the success of people eating this way, I've given it a try and it's working for me. As much as I hated to admit it at first, eating (mostly) paleo has worked almost effortlessly. I don't even follow all the rules all the time! Just doing clean eating most of the time with very little wheat or dairy has my body changing shape. Don't knock it until you've tried it I suppose...

:laugh:

Not think, we know.

Because a calorie is a calorie.

Try eating all the calories you want as fiber and see how long you can live on that. A calorie is a calorie is a myth that needs to be weeded out. The different macro's doesn't make your body react the same.

Eating tons of fructose causes leptin resistance (the body's signal to the brain saying we got plenty of fat in store). So instead of burning the carb intake, it stores it, cause it thinks the fat stores are empty/low.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18703413

Tell me how a study where they feed rodents a diet with SIXTY PERCENT of calories coming from sugar is relevant to this discussion in any way, shape, or form.

Go ahead, I'll wait.

It shows that a calorie is not a calorie. Isn't that very obvious?

Let me see if I can rephrase this:

You posted a study in which a different species consumed 60% of it's diet from straight fructose for six months followed by a high fat diet for two weeks. Since the outcome measures differed in the rodents who had the 60% fructose diet, from the rodents who did not have a high fructose diet, you believe that this has direct carry over to human beings.

In humans this would be about 400 grams of fructose per day for 6 months.

You believe this is relevant to a discussion in humans?

Science tests on mice because we are alike on metabolism.... Its the next best thing to strapping down a human and force feeding him.

http://sciencehouse.wordpress.com/2010/07/08/metabolism-of-mice-and-men/

That little blog post makes no mention of if the rates of DNL in rodents is comparable to humans, which would be very relevant in this case
  • silken555
    Options
    calories in/ calories out is the only thing that works.....weight watcher is the TOP leading diet plan and that is what they live by.......just heard that on TV

But can't you eat unlimited vegetables on weight watchers? If that is the case, how can they believe a calorie is a calorie?

An AMEN to that!!!! the SCIENCE that weight watchers is following is eat less bad stuff (more points) VS. eat more good stuff (less points) So it's not the amount of calories you take in, sometimes it has to do with WHAT you take in.

True there are lots of factors that come into play like what makes you fuller, have more energy, etc. But some are looking at only the surface of this discussion. We are not talking about science. We are talking about what works for some does not work for ALL. Depending on each person's life style, preferences, etc.

Wrong again. WW keeps their customers at an extremely low calories count. Each point is approximately 40-50 calories depending on who you ask. That's 1040-1300 calories for a person on 26 daily points, plus an allotted amount of extra weekly points that are optional to use, plus any exercise points they gain. Most of the people I know on WW exercise very little or when they do, they don't add the exercise points back. They also don't eat an amount of vegetables significant enough to cause them to go over their deficit and gain weight back.

That's why WW works so long as you're following it. The second you stop and eat over your maintenance (which MANY people do because they never get to maintenance while in the program and so have no idea how much they should be eating to maintain their loss) you gain weight back and very quickly.
  • silken555
    Options

I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome type three. My joints will fully or partially dislocate at any given time and I'm in severe pain every single day. Assumptions get you nowhere.

Yikes.

There are so many people with adversity on here that make simple excuses look...well, like excuses. :flowerforyou:

:heart:

Hugs...I know how that's like...in a different way, but I know.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    You just know these threads are going to turn into trainwrecks.

I don't think there has ever been a productive topic start this way.

Why are you an authority on this topic and why do you feel you're in a position to teach people about this? Why the use of capitals and exclamation marks in the title?

Anyhow, I actually agree 100% with your assertion that calories of fat, protein, or carb all have different effects on weightloss. I agree that eating the same amount of calories low-carb makes me lose more quickly than high-carb.

I understand your wanting to share this knowledge with the world, but trying to sound like an authority on the subject and 'teaching' people your ways is not going to convert anyone and is only going to fuel those who believe that 1800 calories of junk = 1800 calories of healthy food.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,978 Member
    Options

Why are you an authority on this topic and why do you feel you're in a position to teach people about this? Why the use of capitals and exclamation marks in the title?

Anyhow, I actually agree 100% with your assertion that calories of fat, protein, or carb all have different effects on weightloss. I agree that eating the same amount of calories low-carb makes me lose more quickly than high-carb.

I understand your wanting to share this knowledge with the world, but trying to sound like an authority on the subject and 'teaching' people your ways is not going to convert anyone and is only going to fuel those who believe that 1800 calories of junk = 1800 calories of healthy food.
    Another train wreck with the junk and healthy diatribe.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Blah blah blah sucrose, calories, carbs, rodents, sugar, protein... People get fat because they eat too much and don't exercise.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options

Meh - what you eat is your business. People can eat all the junk they want and if they can convince themselves it's healthy because moderation, good for them.

I've tried so many different ways and I know what works for me and I'll keep doing it.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Meh - what you eat is your business. People can eat all the junk they want and if they can convince themselves it's healthy because moderation, good for them.

I've tried so many different ways and I know what works for me and I'll keep doing it.
    [/quote]

This is the key. Smart. Oops, that was someone else's quote and I goofed. Still.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

This is, indeed, the key: what you eat is your business. Granted, when you posted it, folks will reply, but at the end of the day: do what seems right to you. Lord knows I do.
  • SirDoctorofTARDIS
    SirDoctorofTARDIS Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Calories in VS. Calories out is not TRUE! :noway: I was staying under calories (strictly) & working out hard (whats considered hard for me. lol.), but eating whatever I wanted. That didn't work. I was losing really slowly and weight would fluctuate like crazy. ie, gain few lbs, lose them back, then lose half a lb from where i started. It was crazy. I was also crazy hungry all the time. :explode: Ok, cut down a little on the carbs, now I am back on track. :drinker: I am not even working out as hard and still losing more weight :laugh: . Now that I have cut the carbs down to one carb- enriched meal per day, for the last week or so, the weight loss is more steady and consistent. Everyone's body is different. Some people do well eating lots of carbs, and still lose, as long as they stay under their calories. Not me! Some have Weight/ Bloating issues eating a lot of meat, protein, or consuming a lot of sodium.
    Considering I am a controlled diabetic (I don't take meds b/c my blood sugar is regulated now that I have lost weight.) my body still does not like a lot of carbohydrates (sugar). It does not process and break them down well. Carbs turn straight to stored fat in our bodies. Our bodies burn a protein for fuel before it will chooses a carb for fuel. It will just store the carb as fat. Now I am consuming more protein. I am not on any low carb plan, I am just eating what for one meal per day, then the other meals are mainly, meat & low carb veggies.
    So find out what your body's glitch is. If you are struggling with the scale and you seem to be doing everything right, do a process of elimination to your diet. Not cutting things out, but decreasing your consumption of that particular culprit, whether it be protein (meat), carbs (bread, pasta, rice, wheat, potatoes, corn, sweets, sugar, milk, peas), gassy veggies, etc.

Back that up with hard science and peer reviewed articles and I would consider it. To quote one of my favorite shows "...I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling. So why don't we just ignore each other till we go away?"
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Calories in VS. Calories out is not TRUE! :noway: I was staying under calories (strictly) & working out hard (whats considered hard for me. lol.), but eating whatever I wanted. That didn't work. I was losing really slowly and weight would fluctuate like crazy. ie, gain few lbs, lose them back, then lose half a lb from where i started. It was crazy. I was also crazy hungry all the time. :explode: Ok, cut down a little on the carbs, now I am back on track. :drinker: I am not even working out as hard and still losing more weight :laugh: . Now that I have cut the carbs down to one carb- enriched meal per day, for the last week or so, the weight loss is more steady and consistent. Everyone's body is different. Some people do well eating lots of carbs, and still lose, as long as they stay under their calories. Not me! Some have Weight/ Bloating issues eating a lot of meat, protein, or consuming a lot of sodium.
    Considering I am a controlled diabetic (I don't take meds b/c my blood sugar is regulated now that I have lost weight.) my body still does not like a lot of carbohydrates (sugar). It does not process and break them down well. Carbs turn straight to stored fat in our bodies. Our bodies burn a protein for fuel before it will chooses a carb for fuel. It will just store the carb as fat. Now I am consuming more protein. I am not on any low carb plan, I am just eating what for one meal per day, then the other meals are mainly, meat & low carb veggies.
    So find out what your body's glitch is. If you are struggling with the scale and you seem to be doing everything right, do a process of elimination to your diet. Not cutting things out, but decreasing your consumption of that particular culprit, whether it be protein (meat), carbs (bread, pasta, rice, wheat, potatoes, corn, sweets, sugar, milk, peas), gassy veggies, etc.

Crazy thing. Every person has a magic calorie deficit that works best for them. I lost weight better when I kept it right at the goal but when I did a lot of exercise and had a huge deficit I actually gained.

**** People call that starvation mode***

So you cut back on the exercise and still eat the same number of calories and now you are losing weight. Keep it up.
  • necee99
    necee99 Posts: 52
    Options
    calories in/ calories out is the only thing that works.....weight watcher is the TOP leading diet plan and that is what they live by.......just heard that on TV

But can't you eat unlimited vegetables on weight watchers? If that is the case, how can they believe a calorie is a calorie?

An AMEN to that!!!! the SCIENCE that weight watchers is following is eat less bad stuff (more points) VS. eat more good stuff (less points) So it's not the amount of calories you take in, sometimes it has to do with WHAT you take in.

True there are lots of factors that come into play like what makes you fuller, have more energy, etc. But some are looking at only the surface of this discussion. We are not talking about science. We are talking about what works for some does not work for ALL. Depending on each person's life style, preferences, etc.

Wrong again. WW keeps their customers at an extremely low calories count. Each point is approximately 40-50 calories depending on who you ask. That's 1040-1300 calories for a person on 26 daily points, plus an allotted amount of extra weekly points that are optional to use, plus any exercise points they gain. Most of the people I know on WW exercise very little or when they do, they don't add the exercise points back. They also don't eat an amount of vegetables significant enough to cause them to go over their deficit and gain weight back.

That's why WW works so long as you're following it. The second you stop and eat over your maintenance (which MANY people do because they never get to maintenance while in the program and so have no idea how much they should be eating to maintain their loss) you gain weight back and very quickly.

listen up. U are referring to their old out of date system. WW points plus lets u eat unlimited fruit and non starch veggies. their claim is I can eat a 100 bananas (10,000 calories) and STILL lose weight. Come on? I think they do have Research on their side.