All calories ARE NOT created equal !!!

Options

Replies

• Midnightmooncosplay
    Options
    What I think of when I hear the phrase not all calories are equal, is the fact that I could use up 500 calories eating a bag of chips, or I could use about 30 calories and eat some vegetables. To me, what matters is how you use your calories, if that makes sense.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I know people like to think that McDonald's calories are the same as whole foods calories, but I've also found that this isn't true. Everyone hates hearing it, but when I switched from strict calorie counting to eating whole foods with limited wheat and dairy the pounds finally started coming off. The belly is FINALLY getting flatter after years of trying different tactics! Honestly I may be an exception and have some sort of wheat, dairy, and additive sensitivities. I'm just saying if what you're doing isn't working, try something else!

I hated the paleo promoters for ever (was vegan for 3 years)! But after years of hearing about the success of people eating this way, I've given it a try and it's working for me. As much as I hated to admit it at first, eating (mostly) paleo has worked almost effortlessly. I don't even follow all the rules all the time! Just doing clean eating most of the time with very little wheat or dairy has my body changing shape. Don't knock it until you've tried it I suppose...

:laugh:

Not think, we know.

Because a calorie is a calorie.

Try eating all the calories you want as fiber and see how long you can live on that. A calorie is a calorie is a myth that needs to be weeded out. The different macro's doesn't make your body react the same.

Eating tons of fructose causes leptin resistance (the body's signal to the brain saying we got plenty of fat in store). So instead of burning the carb intake, it stores it, cause it thinks the fat stores are empty/low.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18703413

Tell me how a study where they feed rodents a diet with SIXTY PERCENT of calories coming from sugar is relevant to this discussion in any way, shape, or form.

Go ahead, I'll wait.

It shows that a calorie is not a calorie. Isn't that very obvious?

Let me see if I can rephrase this:

You posted a study in which a different species consumed 60% of it's diet from straight fructose for six months followed by a high fat diet for two weeks. Since the outcome measures differed in the rodents who had the 60% fructose diet, from the rodents who did not have a high fructose diet, you believe that this has direct carry over to human beings.

In humans this would be about 400 grams of fructose per day for 6 months.

You believe this is relevant to a discussion in humans?
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    PS everyone... I was diagnosed with pre diabetes so I LOST 70 lbs two years ago to control it.. I followed the same lower carb I idea/ regimen as I am doing now. when I started eating a larger amount of carbs, I gained 28 of those lbs back. So the proof is in my putting.

If you suddenly started eating a larger amount of carbs and didn't compensate by cutting those calories out of something else, of course you gained 28 lbs back.
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I know people like to think that McDonald's calories are the same as whole foods calories, but I've also found that this isn't true. Everyone hates hearing it, but when I switched from strict calorie counting to eating whole foods with limited wheat and dairy the pounds finally started coming off. The belly is FINALLY getting flatter after years of trying different tactics! Honestly I may be an exception and have some sort of wheat, dairy, and additive sensitivities. I'm just saying if what you're doing isn't working, try something else!

I hated the paleo promoters for ever (was vegan for 3 years)! But after years of hearing about the success of people eating this way, I've given it a try and it's working for me. As much as I hated to admit it at first, eating (mostly) paleo has worked almost effortlessly. I don't even follow all the rules all the time! Just doing clean eating most of the time with very little wheat or dairy has my body changing shape. Don't

Try eating all the calories you want as fiber and see how long you can live on that. A calorie is a calorie is a myth that needs to be weeded out. The different macro's doesn't make your body react the same.

Little point out here. Fibers don't bring calories. Our body can't digest them, so we can't get calories from them
  • Ries2013
    Options
    You are fooling yourself if you think that it has to go out. It can stay in the system and not go out.

you don't understand physics.

I do, your "out" is regulated by your brain/body. If you take X in, it can decide to only use Y and store Z. Thats why people with brain damage, where their leptin receptors are damaged get fat on even a strict diet. The body thinks there is no fat in store and tries to store as much as possible.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Yup, some calories are yummier than others! Yeah I'm talking bout you, Ben & Jerry's Phish Food. *drool*

I'm hungry.

Get out of my head! I was just looking at my diary to see if I could fit some Ben & Jerry's in today.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Wait, for the record, I do think EITHER a calorie is a calorie, OR, all calories aren't created equal, but the science hasn't caught up enough to figure out a way of how to prove it.

Context, try it, it is not hard.

No clue what you are saying here.

It means to read a sentence and apply its content to the topic. "A calorie is not a calorie" is of cause wrong if you take it literally, but when you read in the context of eating, it means that eating one calorie of X does not provide the same results as eating a calorie of Y.

In terms of weight loss, one calorie of X has the same results as one calorie of Y though.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Little point out here. Fibers don't bring calories. Our body can't digest them, so we can't get calories from them

IIRC: Fermentable fibers produce short chain fatty acids that yield about 1.5 -2.5kcal/g
  • sjlawgirl
    sjlawgirl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    a1AWjMR_460s.jpg

Here's a sloth with a flower for you.

LMAO!!! Love it!
  • Ries2013
    Options

I hated the paleo promoters for ever (was vegan for 3 years)! But after years of hearing about the success of people eating this way, I've given it a try and it's working for me. As much as I hated to admit it at first, eating (mostly) paleo has worked almost effortlessly. I don't even follow all the rules all the time! Just doing clean eating most of the time with very little wheat or dairy has my body changing shape. Don't knock it until you've tried it I suppose...

Not think, we know.

Eating tons of fructose causes leptin resistance (the body's signal to the brain saying we got plenty of fat in store). So instead of burning the carb intake, it stores it, cause it thinks the fat stores are empty/low.

Tell me how a study where they feed rodents a diet with SIXTY PERCENT of calories coming from sugar is relevant to this discussion in any way, shape, or form.

Go ahead, I'll wait.

You posted a study in which a different species consumed 60% of it's diet from straight fructose for six months followed by a high fat diet for two weeks. Since the outcome measures differed in the rodents who had the 60% fructose diet, from the rodents who did not have a high fructose diet, you believe that this has direct carry over to human beings.

Science tests on mice because we are alike on metabolism.... Its the next best thing to strapping down a human and force feeding him.

http://sciencehouse.wordpress.com/2010/07/08/metabolism-of-mice-and-men/
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Wait, for the record, I do think EITHER a calorie is a calorie, OR, all calories aren't created equal, but the science hasn't caught up enough to figure out a way of how to prove it.

It means to read a sentence and apply its content to the topic. "A calorie is not a calorie" is of cause wrong if you take it literally, but when you read in the context of eating, it means that eating one calorie of X does not provide the same results as eating a calorie of Y.

I know what context means...lol, but I don't really know why what I said doesn't apply. Either all calories are created equal, or they aren't, but science can't prove it yet. Not sure the issue, but don't much care either.
  • SideSteel
    Options

Not think, we know.

Go ahead, I'll wait.

Science tests on mice because we are alike on metabolism.... Its the next best thing to strapping down a human and force feeding him.

My question wasn't about the rationale for choosing mice, my question was whether or not you believe this study has direct application to human beings.
  • bebeXchyM
    bebeXchyM Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie...TRUE
    All calories are not created equal..."TRUER"
    often times i see post with people saying that they've lost weight but not the bulge or ... If people who don't have such problem come out clean, you'ld realise that they eat whole food more than half of the time. If you eat junk always, u'ld turn your body into a junkyard.
  • Ries2013
    Options

In terms of weight loss, one calorie of X has the same results as one calorie of Y though.

If eating it, no. Depending on what you eat, and what you have been eating the last month, if your starving or not and so on, your body will react differently. Just because you are under BMR, doesn't mean it will burn and not store your intake in every possible scenario. If you been doing ie. keto in deficit for a long time and eat some carb one day, most of it, is most likely not burned, but sent to glykogen stores and body fat is still consumed as the major energy provider.
  • Ries2013
    Options

Not think, we know.

Go ahead, I'll wait.

My question wasn't about the rationale for choosing mice, my question was whether or not you believe this study has direct application to human beings.

Of cause i do. You think they did these test on mice, because they want to study mice? Here 1 1/2 hour speak of fructose on humans. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceFyF9px20Y
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Not think, we know.

Go ahead, I'll wait.

Of cause i do. You think they did these test on mice, because they want to study mice? Here 1 1/2 hour speak of fructose on humans. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceFyF9px20Y
    You just lost any credibility you had by posting LOLstig.
  • healthybodyhealthylife
    Options
    Special snowflake alert. Everyone evacuate the thread.

lol!!!
  • SideSteel
    Options

Not think, we know.

Go ahead, I'll wait.

You think that a diet of 60% fructose for 6 months followed by a two week high fat diet means that calories aren't calories in humans.

Right, got it.

Also Lustig?
    http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a unit of energy, period. What your referring to is that different types of macro's have different metabolic pathways and influence our body composition differently.

Its called a play on words guys. I am not saying a calorie does not equal a calorie in reality. but if that is the case. a calorie is still not a calorie (disclaimer-word play) if it is consumed differently in some and not others. so if i eat 1200 calories worth of candy, I am going to be in trouble! VS. if i ate 1200 cal of broccoli,,,, OK!
    Yes because of the diabetes issue. If I eat 1200 of either day in, day out I will lose weight. I will be hungry because the candy will not fill me up like the broccoli but still amounts to a calorie deficit if I burn 1800 cal and eat only 1200 calories in candy.

I'm glad you found what works for you..although personally I would wait longer than a week to evaluate the success of something.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between saying a calorie isn't a calorie, no matter what the source, and saying that all calories are not created equal. In a calorimeter, all calories do the same thing. In our bodies, not so.

This Scientific American story describes a high-quality, random assignment study that looks at just one way in which that statement is true:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=when-dieting-not-all-calo