All calories ARE NOT created equal !!!

Options

Replies

• rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I think it's a trend. After 2 pages, all posts turn into a comedy of comments from people who a) really don't care if they help you, b) want to dis you, and/or c) are just plain a-ess-esses. Just get off the Internet and exercise or something.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Wow, I bet none of you Diabetic nor have any other serious illnesses! but any way if this thread helps one person, Great! :wink:

I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome type three. My joints will fully or partially dislocate at any given time and I'm in severe pain every single day. Assumptions get you nowhere.

Yikes.

There are so many people with adversity on here that make simple excuses look...well, like excuses. :flowerforyou:
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Maybe the fact that you see so many of these posts are b/c the people who post them are trying to just let some others who may be having struggles know that, the not the calorie consumption ,but the TYPE of calories are SOMETIMES the most important for THEM. Not everyone is concerned with this b/c some are not faced with same issues as others. You may be able to stay under your calories and lose, while other stay under and gain (like me, ps I was accurately counting cal and exercise, even bought a heart rate monitor, make sure I was accurate) All that being said, Wow... you have a lot of intelligent people on MFP. Do you and it will all be fine.

What you are seeing are posts from people who want to make sure those who are struggling are not given incorrect information that will not help them. You absolutely miscalculated when you were counting your calories and exercise. Eating at a caloric deficit is what leads to weight loss. There are obviously different foods that different people should eat for their own health issues, but when it comes to weight gain/loss, a calorie is a calorie is a calorie.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options
    Maybe the fact that you see so many of these posts are b/c the people who post them are trying to just let some others who may be having struggles know that, the not the calorie consumption ,but the TYPE of calories are SOMETIMES the most important for THEM. Not everyone is concerned with this b/c some are not faced with same issues as others. You may be able to stay under your calories and lose, while other stay under and gain (like me, ps I was accurately counting cal and exercise, even bought a heart rate monitor, make sure I was accurate) All that being said, Wow... you have a lot of intelligent people on MFP. Do you and it will all be fine.

NO! Now you're going being confused and handing out poor advice for weight loss. :angry:

Except for the part about intelligent people on MFP. Yes, there are a lot.
  • kgreenRDLDN
    kgreenRDLDN Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Considering I am a controlled diabetic (I don't take meds b/c my blood sugar is regulated now that I have lost weight.) my body still does not like a lot of carbohydrates (sugar). It does not process and break them down well. Carbs turn straight to stored fat in our bodies. Our bodies burn a protein for fuel before it will chooses a carb for fuel. It will just store the carb as fat. Now I am consuming more protein. I am not on any low carb plan, I am just eating what for one meal per day, then the other meals are mainly, meat & low carb veggies.

This statement alone tells me you have never had proper Diabetes Education with your diagnosis. If you had, you would know that Carbohydrates are broken down into glucose and used to fuel your body LONG before protein or fat. If your diabetic and have high blood sugars/A1C then yes your body is using proteins and fats for fuel instead of your carbohydrates but that is because there is not enough insulin being used to be able to use glucose to fuel your body.

I think you definitely need to check your information. I'm glad you are losing weight by decreasing carbs, but to make the above statement is just ignorant.
  • necee99
    necee99 Posts: 52
    Options
    Wow!!! BURN thread, BURN!! :laugh:
  • necee99
    necee99 Posts: 52
    Options
    The title is now a Macro is not a Macro. :happy: LOL Sorry to offend all you nutrition and science majors out there. :wink:
  • RoseGoldDinosaur
    RoseGoldDinosaur Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I know people like to think that McDonald's calories are the same as whole foods calories, but I've also found that this isn't true. Everyone hates hearing it, but when I switched from strict calorie counting to eating whole foods with limited wheat and dairy the pounds finally started coming off. The belly is FINALLY getting flatter after years of trying different tactics! Honestly I may be an exception and have some sort of wheat, dairy, and additive sensitivities. I'm just saying if what you're doing isn't working, try something else!

I hated the paleo promoters for ever (was vegan for 3 years)! But after years of hearing about the success of people eating this way, I've given it a try and it's working for me. As much as I hated to admit it at first, eating (mostly) paleo has worked almost effortlessly. I don't even follow all the rules all the time! Just doing clean eating most of the time with very little wheat or dairy has my body changing shape. Don't knock it until you've tried it I suppose...
  • My_Own_Worst_Enemy
    My_Own_Worst_Enemy Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Considering I am a controlled diabetic (I don't take meds b/c my blood sugar is regulated now that I have lost weight.) my body still does not like a lot of carbohydrates (sugar). It does not process and break them down well. Carbs turn straight to stored fat in our bodies. Our bodies burn a protein for fuel before it will chooses a carb for fuel. It will just store the carb as fat. Now I am consuming more protein. I am not on any low carb plan, I am just eating what for one meal per day, then the other meals are mainly, meat & low carb veggies.

This statement alone tells me you have never had proper Diabetes Education with your diagnosis. If you had, you would know that Carbohydrates are broken down into glucose and used to fuel your body LONG before protein or fat. If your diabetic and have high blood sugars/A1C then yes your body is using proteins and fats for fuel instead of your carbohydrates but that is because there is not enough insulin being used to be able to use glucose to fuel your body.

I think you definitely need to check your information. I'm glad you are losing weight by decreasing carbs, but to make the above statement is just ignorant.

While the way the OPs sentence structure is organized, it shouldnt really take away from the message I believe shes trying to convey (which is the title of the thread).

Because if the opposite were true, then it wouldnt matter what anyones macros were set at would it?? We would all be able to get ripped and huge by eating 5000 calories of ice cream and cake. Just go to the gym and do stronglifts all days, no protein necessary.

But yeah, if a calorie is just a calorie, why not eat 2500 calories of pixie sticks all day and just be happy?

Alright, im convinced. 2500 calories of Raspberry Ketones it is for me, since all that matters is calories in and calories out. Thanks everyone! Ive seen the light! Hallelujah Amen & Assalamualaikum
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options
    I know people like to think that McDonald's calories are the same as whole foods calories, but I've also found that this isn't true. Everyone hates hearing it, but when I switched from strict calorie counting to eating whole foods with limited wheat and dairy the pounds finally started coming off. The belly is FINALLY getting flatter after years of trying different tactics! Honestly I may be an exception and have some sort of wheat, dairy, and additive sensitivities. I'm just saying if what you're doing isn't working, try something else!

I hated the paleo promoters for ever (was vegan for 3 years)! But after years of hearing about the success of people eating this way, I've given it a try and it's working for me. As much as I hated to admit it at first, eating (mostly) paleo has worked almost effortlessly. I don't even follow all the rules all the time! Just doing clean eating most of the time with very little wheat or dairy has my body changing shape. Don't knock it until you've tried it I suppose...

:laugh:

Not think, we know.

Because a calorie is a calorie.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Not think, we know.

:bigsmile: :flowerforyou: :bigsmile:
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    It does not process and break them down well. Carbs turn straight to stored fat in our bodies. Our bodies burn a protein for fuel before it will chooses a carb for fuel. It will just store the carb as fat.

The problem is when people include total misunderstanding in their rant like the above that are cleary lack of knowledge of the way things work.

First, guess what must happen to carbs to store as fat - even more break down and processing than if it was used as energy. If your insulin ain't working well for that, it ain't going to fat either.

And no, protein is no where at the top of the line as fuel source, carbs is easiest and therefore used if intense and needed quickly. Fat next if not intense and at rest. Protein if the carbs are out and are needed, or no other use for the protein immediately.

But guess what the protein is turned in to in those cases when it is used - glycogen. Ya, your "carbs" are primary fuel source.

The term is called Gluconeogenesis. See, it would be nice if you provided the terms for these things so that other people can go look them up and read about them.

Ya, I was thinking of that, but thought better of it. Either you'll believe as she does and desire no education on it because you believe, or you've likely heard of it already.

But good point anyway, in which case, de novo lipogenesis for processing carbs into fat.
  • kgreenRDLDN
    kgreenRDLDN Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Wow, I bet none of you Diabetic nor have any other serious illnesses! but any way if this thread helps one person, Great! :wink:

and just as an FYI, I'm a type 1 diabetic, have been for almost 20 years. I'm also a registered dietitian and a diabetes educator. As for your claim as a diabetic-if you were told you were Pre-Diabetic, then you are not Diabetic. Pre-diabetes means impaired glucose tolerance...you have higher fasting blood glucose levels but not high enough to be diagnosed as a type 2 Diabetic.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options

Not think, we know.

Oh for crying out loud. You recently found what works for YOU (because you've obviously struggled) and therefore you KNOW all the answers? What? Since when? A year ago?
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Oh look. A quality vs quantity thread in January.

Shocking.
  • Ries2013
    Options
    All the people saying "its a unit" should look up the word context.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Oh geez.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options

Not think, we know.

Oh for crying out loud. You recently found what works for YOU (because you've obviously struggled) and therefore you KNOW all the answers? What? Since when? A year ago?

<----Actually, been a member since 2010, see?

And I do not claim to know all the answers, but I do know this: A calorie IS a calorie, regardless of what food it comes from.

ETA: And debating on whether said calories come from McDonalds or your own refrigerator are better is a moot point.
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I am surprised to see that no one spoke about this; carbs are the first being used by our body to get it's energy so they can't go straight into fat! Secondly, most of you eat is decomposed by your body into glycogen, which is a form of carb. And also, even protein in excess turns to fat. Carbs aren't the weight loss enemy. I respect your choice of doing a low carb diet, but don't spread incorrect information!
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    And I do not claim to know all the answers, but I do know this: A calorie IS a calorie, regardless of what food it comes from.

ETA: And debating on whether said calories come from McDonalds or your own refrigerator are better is a moot point.

:angry:

tumblr_m807ykiWFS1rcdutko1_500.gif