All calories ARE NOT created equal !!!

Options

Replies

• sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    See, this is the kind of stuff that confuses me. I was under the impression that it didn't really matter WHAT you ate, as long as you stayed in a deficit, you would lose weight? Then I see posts like this and it makes me think I'm doing something wrong. I have very little weight to lose in the first place and since it's coming off so slow (5lbs in 3 months) this post makes me think i'm doing something wrong
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    it's possible that the OP had issues with insulin without having actual diabetes. even lyle mcdonald acknowledges the possibility that some obese people without diabetes respond differently to carbs than someone with less body fat.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/training-the-obese-beginner.html

in any case OP, if you found what works for you then there ya go.

ETA : the OP actually does have issues with insulin. i skimmed at first :blushing:
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Calories in VS. Calories out is not TRUE! :noway: I was staying under calories (strictly) & working out hard (whats considered hard for me. lol.), but eating whatever I wanted. That didn't work. I was losing really slowly and weight would fluctuate like crazy. ie, gain few lbs, lose them back, then lose half a lb from where i started. It was crazy. I was also crazy hungry all the time. :explode: Ok, cut down a little on the carbs, now I am back on track. :drinker: I am not even working out as hard and still losing more weight :laugh: . Now that I have cut the carbs down to one carb- enriched meal per day, for the last week or so, the weight loss is more steady and consistent. Everyone's body is different. Some people do well eating lots of carbs, and still lose, as long as they stay under their calories. Not me! Some have Weight/ Bloating issues eating a lot of meat, protein, or consuming a lot of sodium.
    Considering I am a controlled diabetic (I don't take meds b/c my blood sugar is regulated now that I have lost weight.) my body still does not like a lot of carbohydrates (sugar). It does not process and break them down well. Carbs turn straight to stored fat in our bodies. Our bodies burn a protein for fuel before it will chooses a carb for fuel. It will just store the carb as fat. Now I am consuming more protein. I am not on any low carb plan, I am just eating what for one meal per day, then the other meals are mainly, meat & low carb veggies.
    So find out what your body's glitch is. If you are struggling with the scale and you seem to be doing everything right, do a process of elimination to your diet. Not cutting things out, but decreasing your consumption of that particular culprit, whether it be protein (meat), carbs (bread, pasta, rice, wheat, potatoes, corn, sweets, sugar, milk, peas), gassy veggies, etc.

A few things... You have no open diary, and if I'm willing to bet... its because you don't track accurately. Beyond that, I'm fairly certain the reason you're now seeing weightloss is because you created a larger deficit via the eliminations of carbs and not replacing those calories under other macros.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Calories in VS. Calories out is not TRUE! :noway: I was staying under calories (strictly) & working out hard (whats considered hard for me. lol.), but eating whatever I wanted. That didn't work. I was losing really slowly and weight would fluctuate like crazy. ie, gain few lbs, lose them back, then lose half a lb from where i started. It was crazy. I was also crazy hungry all the time. :explode: Ok, cut down a little on the carbs, now I am back on track. :drinker: I am not even working out as hard and still losing more weight :laugh: . Now that I have cut the carbs down to one carb- enriched meal per day, for the last week or so, the weight loss is more steady and consistent. Everyone's body is different. Some people do well eating lots of carbs, and still lose, as long as they stay under their calories. Not me! Some have Weight/ Bloating issues eating a lot of meat, protein, or consuming a lot of sodium.
    Considering I am a controlled diabetic (I don't take meds b/c my blood sugar is regulated now that I have lost weight.) my body still does not like a lot of carbohydrates (sugar). It does not process and break them down well. Carbs turn straight to stored fat in our bodies. Our bodies burn a protein for fuel before it will chooses a carb for fuel. It will just store the carb as fat. Now I am consuming more protein. I am not on any low carb plan, I am just eating what for one meal per day, then the other meals are mainly, meat & low carb veggies.
    So find out what your body's glitch is. If you are struggling with the scale and you seem to be doing everything right, do a process of elimination to your diet. Not cutting things out, but decreasing your consumption of that particular culprit, whether it be protein (meat), carbs (bread, pasta, rice, wheat, potatoes, corn, sweets, sugar, milk, peas), gassy veggies, etc.

No. This isn't correct. A calorie IS a calorie.

However, since you are a "controlled diabetic," your body could probably do well with fewer simple carbs.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    Now that I have cut the carbs down to one carb- enriched meal per day, for the last week or so, the weight loss is more steady and consistent.

One week is an interestingly short period of time to draw such conclusions.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    i-like-turtles.jpg
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    Also, I am hungrier when I am eating more simple carbs and less protein. Simple carbs aren't that filling to me. Switch the ratios, and I'm good.
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    In to watch this thread burn!
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    i-like-turtles.jpg

hahahaha!! he's my favorite!!!!!!! And also how we became friends. Oooh the memories, burrito!
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    See, this is the kind of stuff that confuses me. I was under the impression that it didn't really matter WHAT you ate, as long as you stayed in a deficit, you would lose weight? Then I see posts like this and it makes me think I'm doing something wrong. I have very little weight to lose in the first place and since it's coming off so slow (5lbs in 3 months) this post makes me think i'm doing something wrong

No. Don't let yourself go there. Weight loss slows as you get closer to target, because it progressively gets harder to create a significant calorie deficit. 1-2 lbs./month is actually perfect at this stage of your weight loss. Don't listen to this, ma'am. :wink:
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm happy you found what works for you. Don't let the low-carb criticizers get to you. They do this to everyone who eats low carb. Personally, I feel way better eating low carb and high fat. The weight and fat loss is an added bonus!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm happy you found what works for you. Don't let the low-carb criticizers get to you. They do this to everyone who eats low carb. Personally, I feel way better eating low carb and high fat. The weight and fat loss is an added bonus!

Nobody is arguing with her choice to eat low carb, but rather the statement she makes that defies science.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    All you can do is log your food, log your exercise, log your weight, analyze and adjust. You're going to get advice here based on what worked for that advice-giver. Like, very strong, THIS IS THE WAY advice. Just keep doing what you know works for you (or exploring what works) and you will be successful.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options

Nobody is arguing with her choice to eat low carb, but rather the statement she makes that defies science.

^^This
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Well shoot, I've been doing it all wrong :sad:
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    tl;dr.

This again? A calorie is a unit of measure. Smh.

so, ok....you found it too long and you didnt read it...so why bother commenting??...(just interested, you understand!!)
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    In to watch this thread burn!

why???
  • necee99
    necee99 Posts: 52
    Options
    Carbs turn straight to stored fat in our bodies. Our bodies burn a protein for fuel before it will chooses a carb for fuel. It will just store the carb as fat.

This is largely incorrect.

Not for me dude, Not for diabetics who have insulin resistance.
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    You said you were eating whatever you wanted to eat and working out. You cannot out-exercise a bad diet. That doesn't mean calorie deficits, as accepted by science, do not work.