Crockpot Creamy Reuben Soup (133 calories per serving)

Options
WadeLam
WadeLam Posts: 224 Member
This lightened-up, creamy Reuben soup is my life. There’s just something about it that triggers a happy, peaceful memory. I just don’t know what the memory is. So I guess…technically…it isn’t really a memory at all. I think a memory, by definition, is something that someone actually has to remember.

Nevermind. Creamy Reuben soup is my life. I should have stopped there to begin with.

Here’s how I’ve lightened up an original Peace, Love & Low Carb recipe for a more calorie-friendly meal! Enjoy, my friends – this soup deserves to be savored. :)

Crockpot Creamy Reuben Soup

2lia8nd.jpg

1 medium, diced onion
2 ribs diced celery
2 large cloves minced garlic
3 tbsp. light butter
1 lb. chopped corned beef (I used pre-cooked Boar’s Head corned beef from the deli counter)
32 oz. beef stock
1 cup sauerkraut
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. caraway seeds
¾ tsp. black pepper
2 cups fat-free half and half
1 ½ cup shredded Swiss cheese

Directions:

Heat slow cooker on high setting. To a large sauté pan, over low-medium heat, add onion, celery, garlic and light butter. Sauté until soft and translucent. Transfer to heated slow cooker. To the slow cooker, add corned beef, beef stock, sauerkraut, salt, caraway seed and black pepper. Cover and cook on high for 4.5 hours. Add fat-free half and half and Swiss cheese. Cook 1 additional hour.

Nutrition Information (calculated using MFP Recipe Builder):

Servings: 14 (each serving is 1 cup)
Calories: 133
Carbs: 5 g
Fat: 7 g
Protein: 12 g

Replies

• ericarfloyd
    ericarfloyd Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy for this winter!
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Ohmyglob, that looks superb. Perfect for a cool fall evening. My thanks.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Mother of Buddha that looks yummy!
  • JodieSmith15
    JodieSmith15 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Are you from the midwest? I don't meet too many people outside Nebraska who know what a reuben is :) This sounds so yummy! I'll be forwarding to my parents, they eat reubens weekly lol!
  • parker313_99
    parker313_99 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    That looks amazing. We love reubens. I'll have to give this a try!
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Are you from the midwest? I don't meet too many people outside Nebraska who know what a reuben is :) This sounds so yummy! I'll be forwarding to my parents, they eat reubens weekly lol!

I'm from New England and it's known here. And, quite the transformation you have going there, according to your profile pic. Nicely done.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Great idea to transform a reuben to a soup, thanks ever so much! :)
  • bioya40
    bioya40 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    bump
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Copied, pasted, and filed in my recipes file. Thank you!
  • RosieRaz
    RosieRaz Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    In AZ we know what reubens are. Will have to try this soup for sure. Thanks!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options
    Sounds amazing! I think I'll skip sauteing the veggies as I usually do. Then I don't need the butter. The only thing I ever precook for a slow cooker is ground meat. And I'll use whole milk since I've never seen fat free half and half in my grocery store... then sub powdered spices for the whole ones... and voila, 124 cals per 1 cup serving!
  • WadeLam
    Options
    Hahahaaa - I'm actually from Virginia, but I'm all about a good Reuben. I'm also a big Rachel fan - which is more common around our neck of the woods. ;) The Rachel is a variation of the standard Reuben, substituting pastrami for the corned beef and coleslaw for the sauerkraut. It's also pretty tasty!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I bookmarked this. Plan to make it, and dip a very hearty rye bread in it. YUM. Thanks again.
  • ProudAirforceWife
    ProudAirforceWife Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Love, love reubens and I love slow cooker soups, best of both worlds and healthy too! Thanks for sharing.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Beautiful. Too bad I find corned beef and sauerkraut both to be products from the devil's workshop -- but I bet this would also be good done with fresh cabbage and another spiced/cured meat. And with some homemade rye rolls on the side. Here's an easy "Instant Rye Bread" recipe from my recipe box.

http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/bread/savory-bread/instant-rye-bread.html
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Are the caraway seeds absolutely necessary? I don't think I have any and hate buying spices for a recipe that Hubs or I might end up hating (you never know)

Also, I think a nice way to sum up your feelings is "comfort food" :)
  • bgoodsmile
    bgoodsmile Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Yummmmmm! I love a good Reuben!! Sounds DELISH!!! (& I am from Miami, where I assure you Reubens are well known & loved lol!)
  • WadeLam
    Options
    Are the caraway seeds absolutely necessary? I don't think I have any and hate buying spices for a recipe that Hubs or I might end up hating (you never know)

Also, I think a nice way to sum up your feelings is "comfort food" :)
    In my opinion, caraway seeds have a medium flavor. They are one of the spices that are used in rye bread, which is the major reason they are used in this recipe (since Reubens are served on rye). As far as a substitute, I would try cumin seeds, anise, or maybe even cardamom. These are all quite strong, so I would suggest using half the amount that's required for caraway. Hope this is helpful!
  • tambam69
    tambam69 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    It's different but I might give it a try, sounds interesting....
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Wadelam you're my new favorite person. :flowerforyou: :love: