Crockpot Creamy Reuben Soup (133 calories per serving)

Options

Replies

• cindyj7
    cindyj7 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    This sounds so yummy! Thanks Wade!!
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I love love love Rubens. I make a Ruben bake since I try not to eat a lot of bread. I will def be making this but one of the things I love the most about a ruben is the dressing.... wondering how it is with out the tang of the dressing?!?!

In my experience, the soup was actually pretty tangy, despite not having the dressing component. I think the vinegar in the sauerkraut helps to make it that way - it's not at all an unpleasant taste.
  • ANewCrystal4Life
    ANewCrystal4Life Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I love love love Rubens. I make a Ruben bake since I try not to eat a lot of bread. I will def be making this but one of the things I love the most about a ruben is the dressing.... wondering how it is with out the tang of the dressing?!?!

In my experience, the soup was actually pretty tangy, despite not having the dressing component. I think the vinegar in the sauerkraut helps to make it that way - it's not at all an unpleasant taste.

Thank you. I will be trying this soon :)
  • tinat6848
    Options
    I have copied & printed this recipe! Oh my gosh it looks SO delish! I love reubens. Thank you SO much for sharing!
  • eaherbst
    eaherbst Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sounds Yummy
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    This looks so incredible. It's winter, so I make batches of soup for weekday lunches. I AM SO MAKING THIS.
  • tedsmama
    tedsmama Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I made this tonight and it was fabulous!! Next time I will garnish with the shredded Swiss cheese because it kinda clumped up on the bottom of the pot (probably something I did). My family hates soup and loved this, clumps and all!!
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    It's in the crockpot NOW!!!!! Can't wait for lunch tomorrow!
  • Elvenhearted1
    Elvenhearted1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    What is half-and-half? I don't think we have that product in Australia
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Eating this for lunch...as I type. OMG!! So Yum! Definitely will be making this again! Thank you so very much, for posting!
  • kducky22
    kducky22 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Bump! This looks yummy!! :tongue:
  • WadeLam
    WadeLam Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    So glad that everyone has enjoyed this recipe thus far! :)
  • mlt2908
    mlt2908 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    bump
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Bump! Love reubens and soup.
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I finally made this soup over the weekend. It is so good. I used regular butter and regular cheese instead of low fat so it had a few more calorie but it was amazing and still very reasonable on the calories. About 360 for 2 cups.
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    OMG this looks like yet another amazing Wade recipe! Can I send my hubby to you for training?
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    So I tried this out over the weekend.

My husband doesn't like sauerkraut so he wouldn't even attempt it.

Things I changed around:

- I cooked it on the stovetop. I used a big Le Creuset Dutch oven with the metal bottom, the quality stuff. If you cook it on the stove, make sure and use a good quality pot like this. THIS SOUP IS MESSY - you will spend time scrubbing the pot clean. I'd use a crock-pot liner if I were making it in the crock.
    - I didn't have half and half available (forgot it at the store), so I substituted whole milk mixed with melted butter. Worked fine.
    - Only had 6 ounces of Swiss, so I substituted cheddar for the rest. Again, worked fine.
    - Omitted the celery. (Can't stand the taste.)
    - Only used half a pound of corned beef (due to expense - see below)

The taste was really good, though I can't say that it really tasted so much like a "Reuben" as I know it. Not sure of the revised calorie count, since I had to make a lot of substitutions, but I suspect it's still not that high. Not real "creamy" as in a "cream of" soup, though, so if that's what you're looking for, you're going to be disappointed. It's going to be really good for a cold winter night.

I'll probably make this again, but not too often due to the cost - deli corned beef in my area is EXTREMELY expensive. (I used Boar's Head as recommended and it came to 14.99 a pound - uh.... that's a LOT of money.)

Verdict: Not bad. 7 out of 10.

If you made that many substitutions using cheddar and not half and half and some others then you really didn't make this recipe so yes, it probably didn't taste the best to you. I used the exact recipe and it came ours fabulous... 10 out of 10
  • Mzjmee
    Mzjmee Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    bump. Thanks!!
  • N1ch0lv
    N1ch0lv Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow, this looks very scrummy :)
    I've not had corned beef since I was a nipper - and have yet to try sauerkraut so I'm going to give it a go at the weekend.
    One thing though...who or what is Ruebens..?
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Wow, this looks very scrummy :)
    I've not had corned beef since I was a nipper - and have yet to try sauerkraut so I'm going to give it a go at the weekend.
    One thing though...who or what is Ruebens..?

Take a look here... They are wonderful

http://www.chow.com/recipes/18630-reuben-sandwich