WHY do I have a 33 inch waist??????

Options
I just made a terrible discovery...my waist is 33 inches! Or 83 centimetres!

That goes against all the government/medical guidelines saying anything bigger than 33 inches or 80 centimetres is a serious health hazard, even if the rest of you is fine.

I'm 162 centimetres and 55 kilograms, that's 5'3 and 121 pounds in American. So I'm not really overweight, my BMI is okay, I'm slightly chubbier than I'd like which is why I'm on here...but my legs and arms are pretty toned and slim and my waist is HUGE. I had no idea it was that bad, I knew it was where I stored all my fat and that trousers are always tight on me (dresses are not)...but above the healthy range? When I'm a size 8 (4 in America)? Searching on this board and others I see people with my height and weight normally have 26-28 inch waists! Even people who are larger overall and I see eating more than me have smaller waist measurements! What is wrong with me???

And what do I do?

All the guidelines I see online say boring things which I already do and have been for years and yet I STILL have a huge waist. You know, they recommend cardio (I do a fair bit) and cutting out soft drinks and beer and stuff which I never drink anyway...I am a dairy-avoiding vegetarian so my diet is mostly vegan, I have a pretty bad weakness for vegan sweet treats but not excessive amounts, maybe like 2 biscuits a day (or maybe that is the problem and I have to cut out desserts completely?). I normally have 1200-1500 net calories a day and do 30-60 minutes of cardio every day plus martial arts and dumbbells a few times a week. I'm a bit nervous to make my diary public but would it help?

Could it really be pasta once a week and a couple of vegan biscuits most days doing this? Should I go on a severe vegetable-only diet? Or should I up my cardio to 2 hours a day? Add in an intense weight lifting schedule?

I'm really only concerned about my waist...I'd like to be fitter and stronger overall but I can already do 10 kilometre runs without stopping, proper push-ups, see individual muscles in my arms/legs etc...but I have this giant fat waist with huge fat rolls when I sit down. It's incongruous. I'm quite worried.

Replies

• almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I'm cursed with a large waist too. It seems to be the repository for all my body fat. I'm downright BONY in places, but still have this massive fat roll around my midsection. I've been slowly working to decrease body fat % through a modest calorie deficit and heavy lifting. I don't think it's so much to do with food as it is genetics, except to say that make sure you're getting enough protein. I'm not sure that more cardio will really do much for you either, but focusing more on weights might.
  • lululucky1
    lululucky1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    A couple things that stick out to me is maybe lack of protein and strength training. I read bob harpers latest book skinny rules. He mentioned that being vegan was no longer working for his body so he incorporated more protein...although he highly recommends fish he also recommended chicken and egg whites.

I am 5 ft with a 27 inch waist and that is my trouble spot. I carry quite a bit of fluff on top of my abs. As for sweets I know that is my problem.

Check out his book it's a quick read. Good luck!
  • endureandpersist
    endureandpersist Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You're gonna die one day! Get used to that and life will be a lot easier. Trust me, I know this!
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue and strength training has helped me. I've lost 3 inches in my tummy area since I started it.
    Best of luck to you!
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    Well all I know is I have the same problem. Pants are always tight in the waist and loose in the hips (yeesh!!) and I think some of it is genetic as both my parents put on weight in the middle. All I can do is my best to lose it. Reduce sugars/bad carbs - more protein and whole grains. Lots of veggies too. At least we know we're healthy :) I wouldn't worry about the recommendations so much as how you are eating, we're all different!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring in the right spot? That seems awfully large for your height and weight. Unless you're just super skinny everywhere and every bit of fat is sitting in your waist.

I'm 5'3" and 155 pounds and my waist is 29 inches. Granted, I'm an hourglass, so I have a small waist in general, but still ...
  • vegantimtam
    Options
    I think it is genetics...but it's SO HUGE! Yes, it is awfully large for my height and weight. I'm measuring around my belly button, it's the same above and below is that right or should I go higher? Honestly higher up it goes in a couple of inches but not much.

It sounds like I need more strength training. I don't do a lot. I'm actually getting a proper schedule from my gym tomorrow, and when I have a bit more time I'm going to get a personal trainer.

I do tend to hit the protein goal MFP sets every day (I think it's 45g?) despite being vegan, because I eat beans, nuts and tofu quite a lot.

I am going to die one day...but it won't be with a 33 inch waist, that's for sure!
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    The healthy waist size is 35 inches for women. you are good to go.:smile:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/150376-healthy-waist-size-bmi/
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    wow i'm pretty happy with my 33 inch waist..it's my 44 inch hips that piss me off
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    A 33" circumference is fine and all, but I would be more concerned as to why you are green.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    The healthy waist size is 35 inches for women. you are good to go.:smile:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/150376-healthy-waist-size-bmi/

That is incorrect. A "healthy" waist size is no more than half one's height. It's relative and Livestrong has some very questionable advice.
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Your waist might be wide, but is it... like... squishy?? Or are you full of abs and just large organs.... ?! Which sounds weird,but what I mean is someone could be all fluff at 33 inches while someone could be firm at 33 inches... if you're pudgey it's reasonable to be concerned, but if it's just the shape your body takes then I wouldn't worry so much!

Guidelines are just that - guides, not rules. It's not like you instantly will get diabetes if your waist measurement goes up. And, from the sound of it, you already have fitness goals and standards that will keep you healthy!

Of course there's no way to "spot reduce" so it's hard to say what would work for you if there is indeed fat to lose there. Losing weight in general will pull fat away from EVERY part of the body, so it just might take a little longer for you if you store fat primarily there.

GOOD LUCK and don't stress. Everybody's got a part of their body they hate. But you sound healthy so I think you are just fine! Just keep going!
  • kytte
    kytte Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    i would also be concerned that you're not measuring correctly. i just don't see how that's possible. i'm 5'2" 170lbs and my waist is 33 inches. my waist is one of my biggest struggles especially since having a kid. II just don't see how it's possible to be 120something lbs with a 33 waist.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring in the right spot? That seems awfully large for your height and weight. Unless you're just super skinny everywhere and every bit of fat is sitting in your waist.

I'm 5'3" and 155 pounds and my waist is 29 inches. Granted, I'm an hourglass, so I have a small waist in general, but still ...

That's what I was thinking, too.

Be sure you're measuring at your natural waist, not your naval. My naval is about 3 inches below my natural waist, and about 4 inches bigger.

Stand up and bend at the side. Where your body creases is your natural waist.
  • michelejoann
    michelejoann Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I just made a terrible discovery...my waist is 33 inches! Or 83 centimetres!

That goes against all the government/medical guidelines saying anything bigger than 33 inches or 80 centimetres is a serious health hazard, even if the rest of you is fine.

I'm 162 centimetres and 55 kilograms, that's 5'3 and 121 pounds in American. So I'm not really overweight, my BMI is okay, I'm slightly chubbier than I'd like which is why I'm on here...but my legs and arms are pretty toned and slim and my waist is HUGE. I had no idea it was that bad, I knew it was where I stored all my fat and that trousers are always tight on me (dresses are not)...but above the healthy range? When I'm a size 8 (4 in America)? Searching on this board and others I see people with my height and weight normally have 26-28 inch waists! Even people who are larger overall and I see eating more than me have smaller waist measurements! What is wrong with me???

At least you have a 33 inch waist. For some of us, that is an accomplishment.

You asked what is wrong with you: YOU ARE COMPARING YOURSELF TO OTHER PEOPLE.

Stop worrying about what others have, and work on improving yourself.

I have a 36 inch waist. OH MY GAWD. I AM SUCH A FATA$$. EVERYONE SHUN ME NOW.

Bullcrap. I'm built with no curves. I will never be a Kim Kardashian. Or a Beyonce. All I know is that my pants fit me better and the pudge is slowly shrinking down. I am a work in progress. I don't concern myself with numbers because it's a total mindscrew.
  • vegantimtam
    Options
    It is SO SQUISHY. Rolls and muffin tops. It's horrific. Doesn't match the rest of me. You can see my hip bones! My hips are only a couple of inches wider. My waist is just disgusting.

I'll try measuring higher up, it does go in slightly but not much. Maybe a couple of inches? But the sites I was on suggested just above navel.

Even if I wasn't looking at the numbers, the fact I have such a round wide waist on an otherwise fairly slim body is odd. I look like a ball with four sticks.
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I can't believe no one has mentioned it so here I go....IF you are that thin, and all is good, 33" is not all that bad...are you eating lots of sodium? Could it be bloat? Are your bowels regular? I ask because on a normal day I am 5'4" 150 pounds and a 30 in ch waist. On a bad day where I am bloated or constipated I can easily bloat 6 inches (BTW painful) so I am just asking is your water intake up, sodium intake down and are you going on a normal schedule? This could be the reason for a bigger middle too.

PS the Zumba flat abs work out really helped pull in my waist and to tighten my lower belly hollow man planks really helped. Hurt my c section scar like you would not believe but within 2 months the scar no longer had dunlap!
  • hollyberry2012
    Options
    oh the dratted body shape. If you go thinner in the waist, you will go thinner everywhere else too and still have the same ratio. Sucks huh. But the good news is this....you can pick clothes that make your waist appear more in line with what you think is a lovely shape. :) Who set the standards for what's 'lovely' though? If Hollywood, you are stuck with one shape as ideal.. If God, then the sky's the limit. :)