WHY do I have a 33 inch waist??????

Options
1235»

Replies

• SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring in the right spot? That seems awfully large for your height and weight. Unless you're just super skinny everywhere and every bit of fat is sitting in your waist.

I'm 5'3" and 155 pounds and my waist is 29 inches. Granted, I'm an hourglass, so I have a small waist in general, but still ...

That's what I was thinking, too.

Be sure you're measuring at your natural waist, not your naval. My naval is about 3 inches below my natural waist, and about 4 inches bigger.

Stand up and bend at the side. Where your body creases is your natural waist.

You're supposed to measure at the naval because that's where you are more than likely to wear trousers. Two inches above the waist is deceiving. In that case I have a 34" waist but I dont. measuring 2" above the naval will just put you in denial. Measure at the widest part of the stomach. THAT IS YOUR WAIST! THIS IS IN THE NAVAL AREA!!!

Women's waists are considered to be at their narrowest point, not where men wear their trousers. If women measured to wear their trousers sit, most would be measuring their hips!
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I have scoliosis, so my waist is larger than it should be because I'm "squished down" between the shoulders and hips. Have you been checked? Also, do you look like other members of your family? If the women are shaped like you, it's genetics.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring in the right spot? That seems awfully large for your height and weight. Unless you're just super skinny everywhere and every bit of fat is sitting in your waist.

I'm 5'3" and 155 pounds and my waist is 29 inches. Granted, I'm an hourglass, so I have a small waist in general, but still ...

That's what I was thinking, too.

Be sure you're measuring at your natural waist, not your naval. My naval is about 3 inches below my natural waist, and about 4 inches bigger.

Stand up and bend at the side. Where your body creases is your natural waist.

You're supposed to measure at the naval because that's where you are more than likely to wear trousers. Two inches above the waist is deceiving. In that case I have a 34" waist but I dont. measuring 2" above the naval will just put you in denial. Measure at the widest part of the stomach. THAT IS YOUR WAIST! THIS IS IN THE NAVAL AREA!!!

221_measureart02.png

figures.jpg
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Those guidelines are just that, guidelines. There will always be outliers, perhaps you are one of them.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    The squishy kind of fat is better, particularly in the midsection. So that's healthier! The visceral fat that's more inside is the more dangerous kind. It makes the midsection feel more solid even though it's fat. The waist measurement for health concerns doesn't consider which kind of fat it is, but the apple shape is considered less healthy because of the propensity to have high visceral fat, mainly.

The kinds of health issues predicted by the waist (in the population) involve LDL/HDL, cholesterol, and triglycerides, as well as blood sugar issues that often lead to diabetes. So if it's really hard to get your waist measurement down, folks can work on other ways to avoid the health problems. Look into how to control blood sugar spikes, how to lower triglycerides, etc.
  • MichMunchkin
    MichMunchkin Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    You think a 33-inch waist is a horrible discovery?

Good God. Mine's 34 inches. I guess I better get to feeling bad about that. ;)
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I definitely think you're measuring wrong. I'm 194, 5'6" and my waist is 33"....
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Wow.

I'm 6'1" with a 32 inch waist at 15-16% bodyfat.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,629 Member
    Options
    Sorry haven't ready all the posts.

To the OP, if your large waist is due to visceral fat (ie fat around the organs) this pre-disposes you to metabolic syndrome and conditions like diabetes and high blood pressure. I got alarmed when you mentioned you drink tons of water and are thirsty all the time. Excessive thirst is another symptom of diabetes. Perhaps I am being alarmist, but next time you are at the GP, please get your blood glucose checked.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Does NAVAL mean in the navy?

and where is the NAVAL AREA? I like a man in uniform.
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    OP - I think you must be measuring wrong. You wouldn't fit into AUS size 8 clothes if your waist were 33 inches. I wear a size 12 and my waist is about 31 inches atm.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Measure around your narrowest part - that is your natural waist. I use waist-to-height and waist-to-hip ratios to determine my health. I'm more of an apple/pear shape, so although my BMI is on the high side of healthy, my waist ratios are fine. Apple shapes tend to be at a higher risk. I recommend looking into the Flat Belly Diet - I have one of the cookbooks and I learned a lot about the dangers of abdominal fat and how to make dietary changes to get a flatter belly.