Mirena IUD and Weight Gain

Options

Replies

• caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I have been losing as my clothes are looser now (I only weigh once a month so I will find out how much I've lost in another week). That being said, any weight gain on mirena I may have experience d (I've only had it six months) can be blamed not on mirena--but having second helpings of too many things. Let's be hones with ourselves ladies.
  • llonka
    llonka Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I will never recommend the Mirena ever again. I loved it (for the most part) while I had mine. But I too thought it was making me gain weight and having trouble losing the weight. So I switched to the Paragard and that is when all chaos broke loose. I'm having trouble regulating my menstrual cycle and have heart palpitations on a regular basis. I've had the Paragard for a year and I thought maybe things would sort themselves out, but nope. I now have to take a low dose birth control to try and control the bleeding. It sucks, I hate trying to remember to take a pill, not just for birth control, but to try and regulate my cycle.

Maybe the Mirena is not to blame for all the weight I gained while it was in for five years, but I do believe it caused me health problems. Research thoroughly and ask questions before you let a doctor put that thing in you.
  • adja23
    adja23 Posts: 1
    Options
    I first put in the Mireya in January of 2011 about 4 months after I had already gained 20 pounds. In may of 2011 I was in a car accident and couldn't walk for over a year. In that time I gained an additional 40 pounds. I am not sure if it was continued weight gain from the Mireya or because I couldn't excessive, but I did eat right and that didn't seem to help. I have since been exercising and eating better and I am having a very hard time trying to lose the weight. I am going to take it out tomorrow and see how it goes after that. I will repost in about a month.
  • eagleandthecrow
    eagleandthecrow Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have had both Paraguard and Mirena...I don't know anything about your situation, but Paraguard is recommended for someone that has had kids already...must fyi. That being said...I had the Paraguard for about 2 years and Mirena for closer to 3 and can't say that I noticed any weight gain because of the IUD. I think that for me at least it comes down to life choices. When I had Paraguard, I did gain weight, but I also went from a retail job to a desk job....so it could be that weight gain has nothing to do with the IUD.

Hi! Just an FYI, the Paragard is safe for nulliparous women. I know because I am NP and had the Paragard for 5 years. It was wonderful, but my cycles got really short and my periods were super long. I didn't have any pesky cramps like some women do, though.

I just switched to the Mirena and that is going well, although I did gain some weight, I am very certain that its not due to the Mirena, as I've just been traveling (and hence eating) more. I no longer have a period on the Mirena (which is awesome!)
  • aansiso
    Options
    I am on my 2nd Mirena. I had the first one inserted 6 weeks after giving birth to my daughter (natural birth).In the first year i gained a total of 10 lbs, actually my weight fluctuated (went up and down) but never went past 10 lbs. I didn't think anything of it at the time, i just thought maybe i was eating more than i used too, so that is what was causing me to gain weight. Well i recently got my first IUD removed in May 2014 and had a replacement put in. I've only had the new one for about 5 months and have already gained another 10 lbs. I haven't changed anything about my lifestyle or diet, everything has been the same, if anything i think I'm more active. Running around with a 5 year is a workout. So i think that the Mirena does cause weight gain. I've seen it happen to my sister as well. She went from having a flat tummy to gaining a little pudge in the front after she had her Mirena put in. I've read a lot of comments from women on here saying they have gained weight with this method of birth control and all i have to say is i totally and completely agree with them. I don't care what type of studies have been done but coming from my experience it does cause weight gain.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Nope. Ive had mirena in almost a year and i keep losing --gained a few at first--then I've realized any weight I gained was due to too much butter, ice cream, liquor... You name it. The sooner I realized this the better off I was.
  • vegkitten
    vegkitten Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I had a Mirenu IUD for three years. No, it doesn't cause weight gain. At all. It increases appetite most likely, but it cause not CAUSE weight gain.
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    Options
    I had the Mirena IUD

:)

I had it in place for nearly 7 months.

I never gained weight.

But I gained a baby.

Definitely not a reliable source of Birth Control, lol.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I currently have the Mirena IUD. Went through some cramping at first. Haven't had any issues with gaining weight. As far as I'm concerned, the basic rule of calories in vs. calories out still applies. So if you're gaining weight, or have gained weight, it's your diet and exercise.
  • sdona89
    Options
    Yes, absolutely. I got the IUD because I suffer from migraines, and my Dr. told me that the Mirena would be a better alternative to pills because 1) no migraines, YAY! and 2) you don't have to do anything about it. Almost immediately (within a 2 month period) I gained 10 lbs. It's been a little over 1 year, and I've gained a total of 30lbs!!! Ridiculous! I'm getting mine removed TOMORROW!

My mom had been telling me for months that my excessive weight gain was due to the IUD, but I ignored her. Then last night when I was looking at pictures from my bridal shower and then my bachelorette party, I was *stunned* at how much bigger I look at my bachelorette party in only 1 month difference (I got my IUD the week after my bridal shower). Needless to say, I am never getting an IUD again, unless pills don't work for me. We'll see! : )

PS
    My friend was also on the IUD and after she got it removed, she lost like 20 lbs in less than 2 months! It was so much bloating for her for some reason, and I feel the same way.
  • superexcellently
    superexcellently Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I haven't gained weight...but I can't loose it either. I'm going to up my water intake and see if that helps (I might just be retaining rather than the coil stopping me from loosing weight).
  • kgracesch
    kgracesch Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have gained no weight.
  • kgracesch
    kgracesch Posts: 33 Member
    Options
  • Hannahp1402
    Hannahp1402 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    This is my job and no it doesnt cause weight gain. Your talking 3lbs max due to an increased appetite. If you can carry on past the increased appetite things will settle.
  • NikkiJanye73
    NikkiJanye73 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Ive had mine for about six months now with no wieght gain, however I was wondering at what stage your periods start to stop or slow down

mine is still as regular as clockwork although not as heavey as it used to be , but i would really like them to stop compleatly

any thoughts?
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I first had my Mirena placed 6 weeks after the birth of my now 7 year old son. At the time I weighed about 165-175 lbs. I had no problem losing the baby weight and got down to 120 lbs before I filed for divorce in 2009 and dropped even further to my lowest known weight of 108 lbs. I gained some of that back over time and eventually got up to about 145-150 lbs. That wasn't because of the Mirena. That was because I ate a lot of food and drank a lot of beer and did little to no exercise. I was uncomfortable with how I felt and looked so I decided to change my eating/drinking habits and start exercising. I have since lost over 20 lbs. I had my Mirena replaced earlier this year, a little later than they recommend, but oh, well. Since I have had the new Mirena I have gained exactly nothing. My point is that if you have gained weight it is more likely due to eating more calories than your body is expending than due to the Mirena. I know that everyone is different and in some very rare cases someone might have a reaction to the hormones in Mirena that causes them to gain weight, but it is very rare.
  • dmarie816
    Options
    I had this same problem! I had my daughter and was back to being only 10 lbs away from my pre prego weight. I was back in my jeans and everything. Then I had the Mirena put in and gained 30 lbs within a year or so. I have talked with 2 doctors and they both said that it is rare for Mirena to cause that much weight gain but can be a side effect for certain women. So even though it is rare it is completely possible. He said since I am still pretty young (under 30) and all my tests are coming back completely normal that Mirena is most likely the reason for my weight gain. He said each birth control has synthetic hormones in it and they are each a different strand so my body could just be VERY sensitive to the Mirena strand of the synthetic hormones. So they took it out about a week ago. I can already tell a difference! Soooo happy I took mine out. Other than the weight gain I didn't have a lot of issues with mine other than some cramping. Had it not made me gain so much weight I would have left it in. But it just wasn't for me.
  • dmarie816
    Options
    Mine stopped after about 3 months. But not everyone's stop.
  • mll1023
    mll1023 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I got my first Mirena in November, 2009 and gained weight, but didn't think any thing of it. This past summer, I decided to try and lose the weight and it came off pretty easy. I got my new Mirena in August of this year (just about to the 5 year mark), and I am gaining again. My appetite is crazy!! I was having NO problems watching what I ate before. Is it possible when you get close to the 5 year mark that the hormone levels drop? I never got my period on Mirena, but the closer I got to the 5 year mark, I started spotting heavier each month, and I'm wondering if that is why I was spotting and also perhaps why I was finally able to stick to a diet and control my appetite (lower hormone levels)??? That might sound completely crazy and like nothing but an excuse, but there is definitely a change in my appetite since getting my new Mirena...
  • mariabinsk
    Options
    The mirena made me gain a lot of weight even though I had it for only 4 months. I couldn't lose the weight no matter what. Also, it caused me all kinds of side effects, hormonal imbalances, estrogen dominance, silicona and copper toxicity, etc. I recommend everyone who is serious about stopping all their unbearable side effects to watch the video on this page: mirenadetox.