Mirena IUD and Weight Gain

Options

Replies

• AHaynes729
    AHaynes729 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have an appointment next month to talk to my doctor about getting my IUD removed. I have had so many health issues the past 3.5 years than I ever had in my life. I never even gave the IUD a thought at first until my sister mentioned it to me. I had my first one for 5 years with only minimal side effects. I got my second one and I had been fine the first 6 months and had stopped having a period all together. Then slowly I started having all kinds of health issues. I have so many of the symptoms listed.
    1. I went from a small A cup to a full C cup. Very sore and tender all the time.
    2. Migraine Headaches
    3. Weight Gain that I can not lose no matter what. (Pre IUD I was lazy but I kept a normal weight so I didn't care. When I started gaining weight I started running to lose weight. I run every day. Eat right and compete in races including 3 Half Marathons and have not been able to lose anything!! Instead I continue to gain??)
    4. My sex drive went from a 10 to a 0
    5. Moods Swings
    6. Anxiety
    7. Painful Abdominal Cramping
    8. Painful Intercourse.

Needless to say I can not wait to get this thing out of me. I am hoping some if not all of these issues are resolved once I get the IUD removed.
  • PseudonymMom
    Options
    I used to be in the "nah, it can't be the Mirena" camp. I had it for nearly seven years (5-7 years is the range, in the US they suggest 5 but I knew about the 7 so had let it slide...)
    Then I had mine removed 4 days ago and my tubes tied at the same time (I'm 47, two kids).
    I'm pretty sure it was the Mirena.

The second morning after surgery I woke up feeling very different - more energetic and less foggy, less anxious feeling body. I don't have an anxious personality or very stressful life but my body just felt stressed. And then I just ..didn't! I have felt pregnant the last several years and was not attributing all of this business to the Mirena - just to getting older, not being as active as I was before two kids etc (but, mind you, in the last several years I have run marathons, the Grand Canyon rim to rim, adventure raced, and other stuff so it's not like I'm a couch potato!!!).

The weight just steadily added on and it would never budge more than a few pounds. I could add muscle and that would help a little but mainly I just added muscle under the fat. And my abdomen just looked and felt pregnant! My body felt pregnant. My boobs felt pregnant. Just UGH. But seriously I just thought it was just middle age finally catching up with me.

I still have some puffiness from the tubal ligation and I have not stepped on the scale, but my lower abdomen is def. smaller since removal - my jeans are looser in the waist and below. My brain feels very different. I didn't even really realize so many women were having all of these problems until I just googled trying to find out what to expect after Mirena and tubal ligation - just wondering if there were any adjustment periods (heh) with either from a woman's point of view, because my doctor is a man and has clearly not experienced any of this stuff first hand.

I found all of these stories by women on Mirena and recognized so many of the symptoms - wow ! If I had googled this a couple of years ago I'd have had it removed immediately. Now I'm pissed I didn't. I was just being lazy and hoping to talk my husband into a vasectomy.

We'll see now what changes over the next few weeks and I will post back here and another Mirena thread here.

Even if it's just water weight (and I'm sure all of what's disappeared in four days is water - but there is some chub left that MUST GO!) - that's some significant frickin' water weight and bloat to carry around for years. A change in mood, decrease bloat, and ability to reasonably loose weight, plus what I'm pretty sure is an increase in libido would be great. ( libido seriously tanked w/Mirena but I attributed it to other stuff - but that feels different in last few days, too - haven't really felt like it though with stitches and bleeding).

Now, I have a friend who LOVES hers. Another who hated hers. Both slightly younger and thinner body types, the one who hated it gained weight, had it removed, lost weight.

Clearly it works for some gals, not for others, and Bayer has not figured that out or has not owned up to it - but gals if you feel like yours isn't working - have it removed. You can always have it replaced. If your doctor doesn't to remove it - can't see where that's any of their business - it's your body. You'll know within a few weeks, I expect, maybe days (as I did) if it's the Mirena or something else making you feel funky. Use condoms for a while, not hormones, as BC, they work and I promise your partner can just get over his bad self and use them.

Just because your doctor, Bayer, and some gals here say there is no way Mirena can be causing problems, doesn't mean it's not Mirena. To me it seems very clear that for some of us it may work in that it prevents pregnancy, but just does not work well with our bodies for whatever reason. I envy those of you who have loved it with no side effects. But I'm old and wise enough to know that doctors don't know everything, and drug companies are in it for the $$. You have to trust yourself sometimes, too!
  • LivviLosing
    LivviLosing Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I gained weight around the time I got my mirena, but I also had a lot of lifestyle changes (and way too much german beer).

I still have it, and have lost 30lbs, so your mileage may vary.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    PseudonymMom you do realize it takes anywhere from 6-18months for things to go back to normal after stopping mirena right...not 2 days...

And you didn't add muscle...sorry it's very hard for a woman to do that...you need to eat a calorie surplus and lift heavy weights to do that....and if you are eating at a calorie surplus you are adding fat too.
  • cornishjenni
    Options
    i had it fitted about a month ago. already struggling to lose. been on slimming world for 16 weeks, only lost 7lb, then did healthy eating and the gym since then and not lost, had tests, and nothing wrong thyroid wise. docs even put me on orlistat but im on a low fat diet so that doesnt work either. i had the coil fitted to prevent me becomming pregnant again as i gained 5 stone in pregnancy and shes 7 months old now and im still huge so im really hoping i dont gain more weight :(
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    If you can get in at the 4 -4.5 year mark do it then..I waited 5 years and it wasn't fun the last 6 months..my husband said never again...moods...my period came back...ick

Oooo good to know!
  • cornishjenni
    Options
    ur weight loss is amazing! please share ur secret, im struggling xx
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Paraguard IUD has no hormones and lasts twice as long - way better than Mirena for me =)
  • PseudonymMom
    Options
    SezxyStef ....
    1) I know my body and what I have experienced. You know neither. While you are an expert on you, you cannot tell me that I have not experienced something that I have. Why would I lie? I'm just offering support where it seems the kneejerk reaction is to scoff in disbelief at something you have not experienced... I didn't have to put myself out there to support anyone, but I thought it might help someone else. I'm not anti medicine or science. I think vaccinations are good, for example. But I know that doctors and big-pharma can be wrong. Very wrong. Because they don't know everything and the human body is a complicated machine.

2) You can definitely lose water weight in two days. With a hormone and foreign object removed from my body... why would I NOT be able to notice a difference? I never said I was back to normal - I just said I noticed a distinct difference. I KNOW I noticed this. I have not been attributing these things to Mirena all along. Only in the last couple of days did things begin to click into place.

3) And, yes, women can gain muscle. We don't look like the Incredible Hulk, but we can gain muscle. And it's noticeable. Too bad for you I guess if you have not, because muscles rock. Different body types respond to strength training in different ways.

4) I've been an athlete for years, on and off - since high school and I'm 47 now. Biking, running, ultra distance running, crossfit, adventure racing, hiking, rugby, ultimate. If there is one thing I know, it's how my body responds to food, stress, exercise, pregnancy, muscle building, injury, and so on. Two new unknowns happened at the same time for me which made figuring out the cause of something difficult - Mirena and middle age. I attributed at bunch of stuff to middle age that in retrospect may have been the fault of Mirena, and I stand by my current observations and will let things play out to see what changes.

Please keep your scoffing judginess to yourself. You don't know me, you probably don't know any of these ladies, and just because your body responded differently to something than mine and other gals' did, doesn't mean we are wrong. Why be a troll? Geesh. I wouldn't do that to you! Life is hard enough without complete strangers trying to put you down!
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    And you didn't add muscle...sorry it's very hard for a woman to do that...you need to eat a calorie surplus and lift heavy weights to do that....and if you are eating at a calorie surplus you are adding fat too.

+1. And to the user with the blank profile just created this month with 3 forum posts all pertaining to the Mirena IUD calling SezxyStef a troll... :huh:
  • PseudonymMom
    Options
    If you read my posts, you would know why I just joined. I haven't filled out my profile yet, because I didn't know it would be important to anyone so here are some details, though can't see why you'd want them:

I live in Colorado, I'm 47 and have two kids, 8 and 12.
    I love to be active. Run, bike, hike, ski, etc. Over the years I've been pretty active and stepped up to a lot of challenges.
    Currently crossfitting and loving it but not competitive at it, and wanting to bike more now that snow is gone (finally!). Ran a half marathon in October then had surgery to get ankle hardware removed. Have resumed running of course but focusing on shorter distances to get faster because when I train for long distances I can't seem to get out of the long, slow distance groove.
    I have a bit of pudge to remove - not sure how much because of recent deflation due to abdominal fluid bloat going away.
    Which brings us to ...here.

I just had the Mirena removed last Thursday. I had liked it and though I had some discomfort it was better than monthly painful periods, BC pills, and having a surprise baby in my mid 40s. Seriously had never thought there was something wrong with it. Talked a friend into getting it and have mentioned it to other friends.

Was googling wondering what to expect post removal, post tubal ligation, from an active woman's point of view because my doctor is an overweight dude.

Not expecting to find pages upon pages of stories from women who had experienced what I had, but I had not attributed it to Mirena. I had attributed it all to hitting middle age. Now realizing, as a result of a few very quick changes in how I feel, which I was not expecting (googled after feeling different, not before...), that it may have been Mirena. Was very surprised.

I created my (blank) profile and log in so that I could offer support to ladies that are wondering if they have experienced the same thing but keep getting told by total (trolling) strangers that they are wrong!

And, you can build muscle. Seriously. Maybe *you* can't because your body is different from mine. A good friend works out a bunch and is very strong and thin (and likes Mirena, btw), but you can't see her muscles. We just have a different body type. Which brings us full circle to ...we're all different and our experiences with birth control, strength training, running, working out, eating carbs, not eating carbs, eating bacon, eating vegan, eating sugar, and eating gluten are all different. It's nice sometimes to hear that someone else is experiencing the craziness that you thought you were alone in.

So, yes, when you tell someone they are flat out wrong and you know nothing about them... I'll call ya a troll because you didn't add to the conversation at all, you just did a fly-by judgement and didn't listen or attempt to think - hmm, that could be the truth for them even if it isn't for me.
  • k8dagr8
    k8dagr8 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am having my Mirena removed after18 months.
    I LOVE the Mirena! I love not menstrating or worrying about pills.
    However I am a personal trainer, I have my BA in Health and Exercise. I have gained 25 lbs since having it inserted. I have taken oral birth control my whole life for cystic ovaries without an issue.
    I have done everything that had always worked and tried new techniques to lose. I will lose 3-5 and plateau. I KNOW what I am doing. I KNOW what needs to be done to lose the weight.
    It is a chicken or egg type of scenario. Am I gaining weight now bc I am older and my metabolism slowed down or bc the hormone fluctuations caused by the Mirena? I am also now craving CRAP that I never even ate before! I always ate as healthy as possible. I never had a sweet tooth and can't stand the smell of fried foods now I will suddenly have an intense craving for sweets or fried foods. Most the time I can surpress but no doubt the weight gain is from one of those occasional binges (that usually ends up running through me anyway!) And there in lies the problem, the Mirena could be causing the cravings that will go away when it goes away.Or it could be causing the wt gain bc the hormones, or it could be causing the chemical inbalance that affects my emotions causing me to stress eat.
    But I am not one to place blame, my bottom line for removing it....it is a foreign object in my body secreting artificial hormones. We all avoid certain foods bc of 'artificial' this or 'artificial' that, why would we willing place something that intentionally secretes artificicial chemicals? not worth the risk to me, bc I sure the hell ain't benefiting! I am going to get back to natural as much as possible. Hubby is getting a vasectomy and I will have peace of mind and my health and my body back.
  • platinumcoochie
    Options
    I have had the marena for over 6 months and still get a cycle every month...my doctor was surpri8se that it hav nhot stopped yet so I dont know. i was losing weight but have not lost any since so IDK what to think....Dont want to get it taken out and still have complications with weight gain and decide to have marea inserted again. confused:ohwell: :ohwell: :ohwell:
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    SezxyStef ....
    1) I know my body and what I have experienced. You know neither. While you are an expert on you, you cannot tell me that I have not experienced something that I have. Why would I lie? I'm just offering support where it seems the kneejerk reaction is to scoff in disbelief at something you have not experienced... I didn't have to put myself out there to support anyone, but I thought it might help someone else. I'm not anti medicine or science. I think vaccinations are good, for example. But I know that doctors and big-pharma can be wrong. Very wrong. Because they don't know everything and the human body is a complicated machine.

2) You can definitely lose water weight in two days. With a hormone and foreign object removed from my body... why would I NOT be able to notice a difference? I never said I was back to normal - I just said I noticed a distinct difference. I KNOW I noticed this. I have not been attributing these things to Mirena all along. Only in the last couple of days did things begin to click into place.

3) And, yes, women can gain muscle. We don't look like the Incredible Hulk, but we can gain muscle. And it's noticeable. Too bad for you I guess if you have not, because muscles rock. Different body types respond to strength training in different ways.

4) I've been an athlete for years, on and off - since high school and I'm 47 now. Biking, running, ultra distance running, crossfit, adventure racing, hiking, rugby, ultimate. If there is one thing I know, it's how my body responds to food, stress, exercise, pregnancy, muscle building, injury, and so on. Two new unknowns happened at the same time for me which made figuring out the cause of something difficult - Mirena and middle age. I attributed at bunch of stuff to middle age that in retrospect may have been the fault of Mirena, and I stand by my current observations and will let things play out to see what changes.

Please keep your scoffing judginess to yourself. You don't know me, you probably don't know any of these ladies, and just because your body responded differently to something than mine and other gals' did, doesn't mean we are wrong. Why be a troll? Geesh. I wouldn't do that to you! Life is hard enough without complete strangers trying to put you down!

Any of my information comes directly from a very good ob/gyn who has taught in medical schools so has to stay current and wouldn't give me false information as she only has my best interest in heart as she is family.

As for gaining muscle yes woman can gain muscle at a calorie surplus or if you are in a defict they are very new to lifting (noob gains which don't last long and end up being a couple oz) or if you are obese. Otherwise muscle definition comes from losing the fat over it...my muscles rock trust me, I lift heavy and do quite well and if I ever decide to do a bulk I will gain muscle then ...not before...I haven't gained yet as I am not new to lifting and I wasn't obese...and no woman in this thread unless the above is true has gained muscle either including you...we woman gain on a bulk on average 1/2-1lb a muscle if we are lucky a month...that is with optimal conditions.

As for this statement
    Why be a troll? Geesh. I wouldn't do that to you! Life is hard enough without complete strangers trying to put you down!
    that is exactly what you are doing...

I would rather lay out science then "personal experience" so that some of these woman might take a look at the science and say...wait ..maybe I need to try this..and then they lose the weight as opposed to hearing "oh don't worry it's not your fault" when in all probability it's about the amount being eaten.

I never once said it doesn't have side effects...it does but gaining 50lbs is not the fault of a tiny plastic coil inserted...it is from over eating.

btw building strength and having your muscles be defined <>muscle gains and the longer you argue you can gain muscle at a deficit (esp you considering you are a life long athlete) the more you look like a troll yourself and continue to discredit anything and everything you say. So you have at...keep saying you can build muscle while eating at a deficit.:flowerforyou:
  • SezxyStef
    Options

+1. And to the user with the blank profile just created this month with 3 forum posts all pertaining to the Mirena IUD calling SezxyStef a troll... :huh:

yes and in order to find these threads cause you posted in two of them..you had to "search" which is interesting that a new user who hasn't filled in their profile and it's so new would know to search and you would search for these in particular...hmmm I have a bridge.
  • manicautumn
    manicautumn Posts: 224 Member
    Options

yes and in order to find these threads cause you posted in two of them..you had to "search" which is interesting that a new user who hasn't filled in their profile and it's so new would know to search and you would search for these in particular...hmmm I have a bridge.

+1

I'm sick of seeing fake accounts berating this form of birth control. I don't know what the angle is, but Mirena is a completely valid option and does not directly cause weight gain. Yes, you can gain weight on it as with any other form of birth control or even with no birth control. Men can gain just as much in the same time period.

Water retention, yes.
    Cravings, maybe.

But Mirena doesn't guarantee weight gain or prevent loss. I've lost 15 pounds over the last year on Mirena.

Stop spreading misinformation.
  • lesliepetersen2012
    lesliepetersen2012 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am 45 yo and I had my 3rd Mirena IUD put in last December. Up until then, I loved it. I actually had no periods, no noticeable side effects for the past 10 years. After I had the last one put in I have gained 10lbs in 6 months, and actually started bleeding last week. I just went in and just got it removed. My dr explained that as we get older the progesterone along with our natural hormonal changes can affect you very different than when we are younger, as I was 35 the first time around and 40 the last time. She would not recommend it for women our age. I also felt I was going crazy. I was doing all my diet and exercise by the book and was still gaining weight. She said it would take up to 6 months to see the effect of not having the progesterone in my body. Hope this helps.. good luck!
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    After being called a troll I had some information sent to me...I posted it in the other thread...yes where the same person is posting

here is that information
    10lbs accounts for most water...hence the warning "may cause weight gain"...women see that and freak..cortisol levels go up...causing more water retention....masking weight loss even more. The increased appetite is what affects the main part of the weight gain if it's over 10lbs...barring the cortisol level....

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/another-look-at-metabolic-damage.html#more-9313

I too was in the military so I am very very familiar with what they do....

eating healthy and exercise does not guarantee weight loss...

The difference in hormones still doesn't explain people claiming 50lbs of weight gain as there are very few methods of oral BC, injections or implants that do not have hormones...the difference with MIrena is that the hormones are centralized in the area it is needed as opposed to going through the entire body before reaching where it is needed....so if in fact women are sensitive to hormones in Mirena then logic says hormonal BC in general will cause similar reactions...but nope...lots say the pill or the shot or the implant doesn't affect them at all.

As well side effects listed on any drug are due to the trials and anything "unusal" that happens during trials is to be reported. So there is no guarnatee that the women who reported weight gain during the trials can say for sure it was mirena as we don't know if they were on a calorie reduced diet or eating at maitenance...

and a lot of women here have stated the Mirena "mimics" pregnancy which it does not...it actually alters the way the uterus behaves...although exactly what it does is not totally defined there are three things

Thickening the mucus on the cervical wall to prevent sperm from entering the uterus.
    Altering the wall of the uterus.
    Inhibiting survival of sperm.

QUOTE from Study

Mirena works by slowly releasing 20 mcg of levonorgestrel into the uterus each day. Throughout the course of 5 years, this dose decreases while still remaining effective. In contrast, birth control pills typically release 150mcg into the body. The dose of hormones is higher in oral contraceptives because they must first be digested before the hormones can become effective and act on the uterus. Mirena works by directly releasing the hormone into the uterus.

and in the clinical trials >5% of the 92000 women reported weight gain...so less than 4200 women...and again these were not "controlled" studies where the participants were in a lab the entire time.
  • jessikaking1
    jessikaking1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I tried the mirena around 3 years ago, and it fell out!!! Just got it put back in around 3 days ago and am excited . I already have 2 children, would really like not to have anymore. Hopefully there is no weight gain, but I have noticed that I can't really stand the thought of eating since. Not a good thing since I only eat dinner. Will just have to wait and see how it goes. I don't think excessive weight gain is attached to this contraception, so maybe you'll have to look at the lifestyle. In saying that I can not be an advocate for that as I'm just hoping this one stays in. Have had some epic back pain though, not good with the scoliosis!
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I went through this phase of blaming the mirena for not being able to lose weight. Forgotten all about it actually. I was just training wrong to be honest killing myself with dieting and cardio. Been training with a PT this year have built loads of muscle and hadn't thought about my mirena for ages. yes its still hard to lose weight but now I attribute that more to my bodytype and small frame (meaning I really don't need many calories so tend to maintain on 1200 a day).
    It is scary that when you google it you find a site by ErinBrokovich even about it. I think if you really think that might be it take it out for a year and see where you are then. You can always have one put back in again.