The dumbest diet you ever tried?

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    My friend's MD put her on the Paleo eating plan because of issues with joints and joint pain. She sticks to it most of the time, and her pain has lessened considerably.

I think it's honest of you to say that Paleo was a ridiculous diet for you. :smile:
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    My friend's MD put her on the Paleo eating plan because of issues with joints and joint pain. She sticks to it most of the time, and her pain has lessened considerably.

I think it's honest of you to say that Paleo was a ridiculous diet for you. :smile:

Well I basically thought I could eat as much as I wanted as long as it was organic meat, veggies, nuts or fruit. I didn't gain any weight, but I did spend a butt load of money on organic meats. T_T
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Diet pills. I worked out while taking them and watched what I ate. So really it wasn't the diet pills that were making me lose, it was the eating right and exercise. Without the right food and exercise the pills did nothing for me except give me the shakes and kept me awake at night.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    The summer between junior and senior year of high school I ate nothing but pickles and crackers. I was cranky and shaky and nauseated and I even passed out a couple of times, but when the scale reached 90 lbs (I'm 5'3') I thought I had succeeded.
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Oh man... the number of stupid diets I did.

Juicing.

Carnation instant breakfast (you can actually live off these for months, its just monotonous and when you go off hard to keep it off, doctors sometimes have people use them instead of the more costly liquid supplements if they have jaw surgery).

Fast food diet for a few months to prove a point (that you can lose weight eating anything).

Full fasting for a month at a time. (eg: eat nothing for a month)

Some cleanse or another with cayenne pepper, maple syrup, and lemons. (still remember the stupid recipe years later)

Atkins (for me... it's just not feasible, it works fine for many people even long term.)

Sensa/caffeine/diet pills/ephedrine (worked while taking them)

Nothing but lettuce (couldn't do cabbage it disgusts me)

etc... the problem with 90% of them... they're just not maintainable indefinitely... and if you're not forcing yourself to be accountable you end up right back where you started in a few months. The accountability is what I'm really seeking on mfp... must maintain even after ending the 'lose weight' phase.
  • MadisonHein
    Options
    I did the ABC diet, SGD, and "healthy" SGD. (skinny girl diet). like i didn't finish the whole diet plan since i felt really weak. pretty stupid/dangerous thing to do :$

Honestly I dont understand how some people can stay on that diet for the whole month and not wind up dead?!
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    pre digested liquid protein as a teen. It tstaed horrific:sick:
  • mkuklane
    Options
    the diet soda and gum diet
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Worst diet: eating whatever the hell I want in whatever amount I want. That's what got me here. :)

^ Ditto
  • PonyTailedLoser
    PonyTailedLoser Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Atkins.
  • WhoIsAmber
    WhoIsAmber Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    The "cereal diet" created by an old-friend of mine. He lost a ton of weight eating nothing but different types of cold breakfast cereal for every meal... Yes, even the sugary breakfast cereals.

I did lose about 30 lbs in a little more than half a year by eating different cereals for breakfast and lunch, then had a normal dinner.

I kept the weight off for over 2 years... but stuff happened in my life and I started emotional eating and eventually, I gained it back, but that had nothing to do with the "cereal diet."

I lost most of what I gained back, but not with cereal.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    The AIDS diet. It was a caramel eaten with a hot liquid before each balanced meal. Then the AIDS thing broke out and that was over.
  • ElsaVonMarmalade
    ElsaVonMarmalade Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I did a raw diet for a month - not so much to lose weight, but just to see what it was like. It was actually fine - I ate a lot of fruit and obviously a lot of vegetables, plus nuts, raw honey, cold-pressed olive oil, Larabars, etc. I had ZERO bloat and, for the last two weeks, a good deal of energy. It wasn't sustainable for me and I didn't expect it to be, I just wanted to try it.

Everything I read said to re-introduce cooked food slowly, especially if you're going to eat dairy and meat again. First day off I ate a whole box of Fruity Pebbles and a whole pepperoni pizza, and suffered zero ill effects. Weird, but awesome.
  • lupinibean
    Options
    Ha, I love reading these answers. I remember so many of these...Stillman, AYDS candies, Susan Powter....wasn't she the "STOP THE INSANITY" lady?

I think the worse one I've tried...and that's saying a lot...was something called (I think) the Paradise Diet. You had to swallow a tablespoon of olive oil before every meal. I'm Italian and I love olive oil but chugging it a tablespoon at a time? Oh hell no. I think I lasted a day.

ETA: It wasn't the Paradise Diet, it was the Shangri-La Diet (I knew it was something completely mis-named, LOL)
  • callas444
    callas444 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it qualifies as dumb or not, but nutrisystem was sure expensive! The food wasn't good either. It was a disappointment all the way.
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Ha, I love reading these answers. I remember so many of these...Stillman, AYDS candies, Susan Powter....wasn't she the "STOP THE INSANITY" lady?

I think the worse one I've tried...and that's saying a lot...was something called (I think) the Paradise Diet. You had to swallow a tablespoon of olive oil before every meal. I'm Italian and I love olive oil but chugging it a tablespoon at a time? Oh hell no. I think I lasted a day.

ETA: It wasn't the Paradise Diet, it was the Shangri-La Diet (I knew it was something completely mis-named, LOL)

I can see why the olive oil thing would work. Would totally ruin my appetite! I'd look at my food after that and just throw it away! lol
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    For the OP regarding IF. You could have woken up drenched in sweat not because of IF but cause you may have eaten before going to bed. I have the same problem. If I eat before going to bed, like right before bed I wake up drenched in sweat, even in winter & a freezing house. If I don't eat before getting into bed I do not sweat even the smallest amount.

It may not have been IF that caused your sweating, but rather when you ate.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    The no-meat diet. I got sick as hell from all the soy products. My doctor was even talking hysterectomy before I went back on a diet that included meat (and no soy products). I feel much better now.

ETA: Jenny Craig. I was running my *kitten* off at a very physical job when I went on Jenny Craig. The food tasted awful and I ended up throwing out a lot of the food due to taste alone. I was starving after only three days and wasted something like $500 on terrible food. That had to be the dumbest due to how much I paid for that crap.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the food my mother used to give me. She never cooked and mostly just offered either fast food or frozen dinners. Biggest positive move I ever made was watching food network and learning how to cook.
  • YoBecca
    YoBecca Posts: 167
    Options
    South Beach Diet. I was an idiot for doing it, and I feel like an even bigger idiot admitting to it.