Body Fat Percentage

Options

Replies

• Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Um...that's a bit low. 19% is actually pretty good. Some websites tell me I'm at 27% while others say 41% so I have no idea where I am right now. :laugh:

don't use a website, the numbers won't be anywhere near accurate. Look for a bod pod in your area, or a place with a displacement tank (many universities or wellness centers have one or the other).

as a fall back you can use a body fat analysis scale, but these are far less accurate (although still much better than a website).

Um...I have no idea where I'd look for that. Or if my insurance covers it. I was thinking of buying a caliper off Amazon if I end up getting their employee discount with a promotion. I don't know how they work though. I'll guess that I'm closer to 41% as I still have a little bit of jiggle in my belly and thighs. >.<
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I'll just look in a mirror. :)

That's how I do it. Websites give me around 25%. A trainer with calipers told me 19%. My bathroom scales tells me a whopping 33%.

I think maybe I'm in the low 20s.
  • Fitsicle
    Fitsicle Posts: 14
    Options
    thats already really low for a woman hon.
    13% is lower than a lot of female athletes.
    you are unlikely to menstruate (ie be infertile) at that body fat percentage, as women need a higher % than men to maintain a healthy hormonal profile.
    how come you want it so low? if thats you in your pic you look AMAZING!

Aw, thank you! :) I was just a little bit confused/misinformed about BFP at first. I understand now, and I do NOT want it that low at all! 17-19 is where I'd like to be.
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I used a scale, not a website.
    And wow thanks! I'm slow..
    I was sort of basing my goal from a male, honestly. Not a female.

Whoops..

Unfortunately scales are pretty inaccurate in general, for best results measuring body fat %callipers are the way forward. Unless you're really rich then you can go for the gold stand underwater tests.

^^ This.... I use an electronic one that is a hand held, still not the best as a dunk though. I tried a scale this weekend and it was WAY off. I know the electronic one I have is correct because I did both that and the calipers and they were about the same. They were the same so much I just stopped using the calipers. It was the same one the gym I went to back in the day had.
  • Erisad
    Options

Whoops..

Unfortunately scales are pretty inaccurate in general, for best results measuring body fat %callipers are the way forward. Unless you're really rich then you can go for the gold stand underwater tests.

^^ This.... I use an electronic one that is a hand held, still not the best as a dunk though. I tried a scale this weekend and it was WAY off. I know the electronic one I have is correct because I did both that and the calipers and they were about the same. They were the same so much I just stopped using the calipers. It was the same one the gym I went to back in the day had.

What brand of hand held caliper do you use? I'm looking at am Omron on Amazon.com that has really good reviews. :)
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I am higher than I want to be, obviously. Those images are good, but how much do breasts account for in regards to body fat percentage? Because I think I'm getting down to as low as they'll go.

Edit to clarify: They all have very athletic bodies in the lower range of body fat. I have always been a big girl, so I'm not sure it'll be reasonable for me to aim that low?
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    DEXA is the only one close to accurate. :)
  • alexis831
    Options

Whoops..

What brand of hand held caliper do you use? I'm looking at am Omron on Amazon.com that has really good reviews. :)

That’s the brand I have and I love it! There is also a setting for athlete which I use otherwise it is “off” if I use the regular settings. The only time it fluctuates is when I get bloated from my you know what. It doesn't fluctuate at all on my husband. I have also used the you know what out of it. We have had 4-5 biggest looser competitions in an office of about 100. Its about 6-7 years old and still going strong!
  • marijasmin
    marijasmin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    From the back I look like 24% from the front 30%

No spare on my arms legs or butt, but on the tum!,,,,

Jasmin
  • Erisad
    Options

Whoops..

That’s the brand I have and I love it! There is also a setting for athlete which I use otherwise it is “off” if I use the regular settings. The only time it fluctuates is when I get bloated from my you know what. It doesn't fluctuate at all on my husband. I have also used the you know what out of it. We have had 4-5 biggest looser competitions in an office of about 100. Its about 6-7 years old and still going strong!

Oooo, sounds good. I'll be sure to use the athletic setting then. I may order one after I get paid this week, lol. :)
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    all the web calculators put me at 21 - 23%.

I think they see 6'1 and go WTF? Female? no way... and then they barf out a number that I have no idea if it's even close.

Some guy at the bar said I was close to 10% after pinching me repeatedly tho... good thing he was cute. :laugh:
  • alexis831
    Options
    I am higher than I want to be, obviously. Those images are good, but how much do breasts account for in regards to body fat percentage? Because I think I'm getting down to as low as they'll go.

Edit to clarify: They all have very athletic bodies in the lower range of body fat. I have always been a big girl, so I'm not sure it'll be reasonable for me to aim that low?

Aim for a healthy range based on a healthy weight and on your age. Readjust after you get to your goal if you choose to go lower or if you get close and realize you are good then stop. A number is just a number... really you are looking for how you feel and look.
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    <--- 13.8% lots of time on the stepmill, high protein, low carb, moderate fat
  • princessfe19
    princessfe19 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    A body fat lower than 14-17% can cause amenorrhea and is unhealthy. Although the thought of no periods is a pleasant one, you need estrogen for heart health and bone health.
  • kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    thats already really low for a woman hon.
    13% is lower than a lot of female athletes.
    you are unlikely to menstruate (ie be infertile) at that body fat percentage, as women need a higher % than men to maintain a healthy hormonal profile.
    how come you want it so low? if thats you in your pic you look AMAZING!

Aw, thank you! :) I was just a little bit confused/misinformed about BFP at first. I understand now, and I do NOT want it that low at all! 17-19 is where I'd like to be.
    [/quote

glad to hear this, i was a bit worried about you there!
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Apparently I'm 28-30%, so I'm still obese according to this percentage. I didn't track it from the start but when I lost around 5lbs when I first started tracking I dropped down from 31% to 28.7% not sure how accurate it was though (Omron body scale).
  • Shange_Gully
    Options

Whoops..

I got the accumeasure brand, always heard good things about it and was recommended by people I know. Has a nice "clicking" function (patented) that gives consistent readings.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    finding a bod pod is pretty easy in the US. just go here:

http://www.cosmed.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1301&Itemid=414&lang=en

and down near the bottom it asks to put in your zip code and how far you will travel. Bod Pods are slightly less accurate than DEXA but far more accurate than Bio-Electrical Impedance (body fat Scales) and usually a test costs between 25 and 50 bucks, insurance isn't really required for this (I mean, come on, it's 50 bucks or less, well worth it for this type of assessment).
  • wolfpack77
    wolfpack77 Posts: 655
    Options
    <
    about 9 or 10%

This look on a woman would probably be about about 14-16%
  • 1SlimShaylee
    Options
    according to these pics, i think 18-20 looks gorgeous!!!! according to the analyzer at my gym i'm 16.7% but i dont believe that! i'm buying an analyzer off of amazon today!