LADIES: Question about GYN procedures

Options
Hello Ladies, I am hoping some one out there can help me with a choice or give me some insight! Yesterday my GYN gave me the choice between a tuabal ligation and uterine ablation or a hysterectomy (leaving ovaries) I am not having more children - extremly heavy periods and cramping like labor pains( I take oxy for them) Cramps last 3 weeks. I originally said tubal/ablation. Now I am having some second thoughts on this, I would hate to have to have hysterectomy in a few years when I could jsut get it all done now!!

My hubby says to do what I feel comfortable with - and none of my girlfriends have had either. Anyone on here have either of these and what were results??

Replies

• pennyknipprath
    pennyknipprath Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm quite a bit older than you are 49. However due to blood pressure issues I'm looking for a new Birth Control method.

I haven't had a hysterectomy, but I did just look into the cost. It's over 2K after insurance, my funds are allocated elsewhere so I can't afford it. I'm not sure I would qualify for medical issues either so my cost may be $7,500.00 plus. Would I do it? Hell yeah! In a hot second. As long as they leave your overies so you don't go into early menopause.

I have had my children, why must I still have periods? It's unnecessary to have them after children. Think of the money you will save on Tampons, Pads, Midol, Birth Control. Freedom all month. No soiled panties. No sitting by the pool unable to go in, because it's your time of the month. In my mind, "Hey my Uterous weights 1 maybe 2 lbs. more weight gone". :tongue: :tongue:

Just be absoulutly sure your done having natural children. You could adopt! If you get that my babies are growing up to fast feeling.

Just sayin... You asked! :flowerforyou: Penny
  • kvanderbeek1
    kvanderbeek1 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I know everyone is different but I started having very heavy cycles after my tubal ligation. Then I did an ablasion and I'm happy to say my period is close to non-existent. Again everyone different. t's only been few months but so far so good.
  • HeatherHitchen
    HeatherHitchen Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I had a tubal ligation and mine got heavier. I wasn’t a candidate for ablation. I ended up getting an IUD. It was the best decision! I haven’t had a period for 5 years.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Only you can decide what is right for you but I had the tubal/ablation for the same reasons and I'm still having heavy bleeding every 2 weeks and horrible cramps. Will still end up with a hysterectomy probably with in the next year. Yet my friend who had the tubal/ablation is getting along wonderfully with only slight spotting every month but she does complain her cramping is worse then it was before. Good luck!
  • jeanzbeanz
    Options
    This may be TMI, but here goes.

I was put in a similar position when I was about 38 due to endometriosis. I already had 3 children and spent 5 years dealing with super-heavy periods (horrifying-ly heavy), massive clotting, cramps - just a mess. My GYN recommended a hysterectomy because of all the issues and because I already had three kids.

I held off because I was scared.

Two years later, at age 40, I was doubled over in pain and had to go to the emergency room. Endometrial tissue was everywhere and they had to do a hysterectomy right away.

Good news is that I still had one little pink ovary that was saved!

So, I got the best of both worlds: no more periods, and one happy estrogen-producing ovary (no need for hormone replacement).

People are a little taken aback when I say the hysterectomy was the best thing ever!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    If they flick the bean, they're doing it wrong.

Damn, this is a serious post. Do your research. Looks like they're leaving the ovaries either way, which I've heard is the good part because you can still then rely on them for hormonal balance. I have, however, heard that there can be some complications with having a hysterectomy and leaving the ovaries that are less common with tubal ligation. Just take some time and do a crap ton of research. Maybe get a second opinion. Do you have a women’s hospital available to you that you can go to for another opinion? I would think it’s sort of a big deal.
  • sds76
    sds76 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I was supposed to get the ablation(sp) a while back but couldn't get it scheduled. Everyone that I talked to that had it done, raved about it. They said they would do it again if given the choice.
    I no longer have health insurance but as soon as I do I will be getting it done. Wish I would have just made the time before.
  • breezymom81
    breezymom81 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I'm quite a bit older than you are 49. However due to blood pressure issues I'm looking for a new Birth Control method.

I haven't had a hysterectomy, but I did just look into the cost. It's over 2K after insurance, my funds are allocated elsewhere so I can't afford it. I'm not sure I would qualify for medical issues either so my cost may be $7,500.00 plus. Would I do it? Hell yeah! In a hot second. As long as they leave your overies so you don't go into early menopause.

I have had my children, why must I still have periods? It's unnecessary to have them after children. Think of the money you will save on Tampons, Pads, Midol, Birth Control. Freedom all month. No soiled panties. No sitting by the pool unable to go in, because it's your time of the month. In my mind, "Hey my Uterous weights 1 maybe 2 lbs. more weight gone". :tongue: :tongue:

Just be absoulutly sure your done having natural children. You could adopt! If you get that my babies are growing up to fast feeling.

Just sayin... You asked! :flowerforyou: Penny

That's kinda my thought, I am absolutly certain on the no more kids- I love the freedom of no more babies!! I would love to be free all month- as it is now I am not sleeping well b/c of cramps, cant work out b/c of them it is crazy how miserable I feel. The more I think the more I learn towards a hyst. And I hadn't even thought of 1-2 weight loss!!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I had a vaginal hysterectomy and have nooo regrets. The surgery was fast, I only had one tiny stitch in my belly button and I recovered quickly.
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    I've had problems with heavy bleeding. It's awful. We are giving baby #3 a try, and after that I'm going hysterectomy. It's the only way to cure me of the problem. I'm a little nervous, but looking forward to it at the same time!
  • breezymom81
    Options
    I had a tubal ligation and mine got heavier. I wasn’t a candidate for ablation. I ended up getting an IUD. It was the best decision! I haven’t had a period for 5 years.

I have an IUD...they think that may be making cramps worse but I got these cramps before I had and IUD
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Been there done that...those kinds of cycles suck totally and really just ruin your life. I ended up have the balloon ablation done April last year...yeah it's 8 minutes of hell up there on the table having the lining of your hooha burned...but truthfully the pain was completely gone by the next day. It's almost a risk free procedure which is great-it can also be done in your GYNs office-it is pricey though. Almost a year and a half later I have my life back-heavy cycles are gone and they are a normal length again. The only issue I still have is cramps-not as bad as they used to be but every now and then I still have to take a muscle relaxer for them. You have to do what you feel is best for your life and body. :smile:

ETA: I was 25 when I had it done...so it didn't stop my periods. There's also a good chance I'll need to have it, or something more drastic, done at a later date should my endometriosis grow back. It seems that the older you are, the better your chances of not needing it done again and it completely getting rid of your period.
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    I had a vaginal hysterectomy and have nooo regrets. The surgery was fast, I only had one tiny stitch in my belly button and I recovered quickly.

If I may ask a super personal question, and if you are willing to answer...has it caused any issues in bed? We have a great sex life and I worry that the way I work will change.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    Depends what you are looking for .... If it is for birth control only, any would be ok. But if you want to curb those nasty periods, the hysterectomy is the only surefire way.

Ablations and tubals may adjust your periods (worse or better) but won't take them away.

Good luck!!!!
  • breezymom81
    Options
    This may be TMI, but here goes.

I was put in a similar position when I was about 38 due to endometriosis. I already had 3 children and spent 5 years dealing with super-heavy periods (horrifying-ly heavy), massive clotting, cramps - just a mess. My GYN recommended a hysterectomy because of all the issues and because I already had three kids.

I held off because I was scared.

Two years later, at age 40, I was doubled over in pain and had to go to the emergency room. Endometrial tissue was everywhere and they had to do a hysterectomy right away.

Good news is that I still had one little pink ovary that was saved!

So, I got the best of both worlds: no more periods, and one happy estrogen-producing ovary (no need for hormone replacement).

People are a little taken aback when I say the hysterectomy was the best thing ever!

I am 31 and people are taken aback that I really am considering this!! Why should I be in pain 3 weeks out of 4? I don't need the crap anymore, baby days are done!!
  • KristysLosing
    Options

I have an IUD...they think that may be making cramps worse but I got these cramps before I had and IUD

I had one, but it was expelled in less than a year! VERY expensive failure. :sad:
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options

I have considered an IUD but I know many people it didn't take their periods away. I use extended use bcp, so I only get a few a year, this way I atleast feel I have some control. Glad the IUD worked for no periods!
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I had the tubal...with the idea that an ablation would follow if my cramps didn't lessen...

which they did...but that may have been due to weight gain I am learning, because in the past two months, my cramps have come back SO bad I've had to get painkillers at the hospital walk in ....it feels like someone's stabbing me in the stomach with a dull spoon and using my spine for a zipper...it's horrible.

so I may end up doing the ablation yet.

but I've had no problems with my tubal whatsoever....none.
  • trishgrace
    trishgrace Posts: 285
    Options
    I have had a tubal and an ablation (NovaSure) it helped with the bleeding but didn't stop it. If they would have told me they would take my uterus out (he wanted to try this first) I would have.
  • bethc370
    bethc370 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I had a tubal and then a year later I had an ablation done. The ablasion was the best thing I ever did! I haven't bled in almost 3 years. I do still get cramps sometimes, but not as bad. I am no longer anemic from the amount of bleeding I did each month.

That said, I have recently found out that I have a fibroid, and my ovaries are quite enlarged from being poly cystic, so I will be perusing a total hysterectomy. (mainly to treat pain)

The tubal and ablation will have the shortest down time for you, so I suggest starting there. My life was vastly improved until the fibroid and ovary thing came up.

Good luck!