LADIES: Question about GYN procedures

Options
124»

Replies

• JillSandm
    JillSandm Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I had a tubal ligation done at age 25, and it didn't affect my cycles at all - still bled lots, cramped lots. Had it reversed 9 years later, and things got worse initially, and are now finally getting better (16 months later).
  • breezymom81
    breezymom81 Posts: 499 Member
    Options

Hmmm... exercise and eating right seem to be the answer to everything.

It does doesn't it!!!
  • mbz0616
    mbz0616 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Definitely go for the hysterectomy, especially if your surgeon will use one of those DaVinci surgical robots - the scars are very small and the recovery period is much shorter than with the old style of hysterectomy,
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options

It does doesn't it!!!

Thats what my GYN suggested, she said she wanted me to make a nutritional change and lose some weight before considering a hysterectomy. I changed my diet 21/2 months ago, found an exercise I like, and I've lost 23 lbs so far, but still have about 65lbs to go. I noticed with my last period that my cramps werent as severe, I still bled heavy but only for 2 days, and my period only lasted about 5 days or so.
  • oJulia
    oJulia Posts: 33
    Options
    Everything I have heard about the tubal suggests heavier periods.
  • breezymom81
    Options

It does doesn't it!!!

Thats what my GYN suggested, she said she wanted me to make a nutritional change and lose some weight before considering a hysterectomy. I changed my diet 21/2 months ago, found an exercise I like, and I've lost 23 lbs so far, but still have about 65lbs to go. I noticed with my last period that my cramps werent as severe, I still bled heavy but only for 2 days, and my period only lasted about 5 days or so.

Yes I need to loose weight but I don't think that it will change my cycle as I was never overweight as a teen and very very activeI had the same level of misery!!
  • jeanzbeanz
    Options
    Yes I need to loose weight but I don't think that it will change my cycle as I was never overweight as a teen and very very activeI had the same level of misery!!

Same here. I just thought this is how a period is supposed to be - didn't know any better. Took many, many years to start asking questions and doing research!

The lose weight and eat right was in response to avoiding prolapse after having a hysterectomy. I didn't have much of a choice about having my hysterectomy. Endometriosis is nasty business and can cause a lot of problems. Even if complications from prolapse happen, it was still worth it - for me, in my circumstance.
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I had to have a partial hyst leaving my ovaries when I was 30. Best thing that ever happened. No worries about TOM ever any more, and I don't miss it a bit.
  • breezymom81
    Options
    Thank you to all of you wonderful people!! I have talked it over with my doc, researched and talked to my hubby and think I have made my decision....

My docotor will do a hysterectomy vaginally - with one small incision, 3 stiches 2-3 weeks max recovery. I think I am going to do this as it is one and done, never have to worry about it again :love: I am goign to think it over a bit more tonight and will call them in the morning!! I feel even more AMAZED that my dr called me back personally in between delivering babies today, he is a good doctor!
  • drelan
    drelan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy in April and I don't regret it AT ALL!! Ablasion was the first option but since there is no 100 % guarantee it will work I went for the hysterectomy (keeping the ovaries). I was out of work for 2 1/2 weeks. The only thing that sucks is no "relations" for 6 or more weeks, but so far so good. I feel better than I have in years. It's amazing what a higher blood volume can do. I was almost to the point of having a blood transfusion because I was so anemic and out of breath with the least bit of exertion. I'm now walking 1.5 - 2 miles a day with the hopes of starting to jog.

I say...go for the Hysterectomy. You won't regret it.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    My mother and my aunt have both had the ablation and both have been very happy with it. No bleeding, no pain, no problems. My mom had hers done quite a few years ago, and my aunt within the past 5 years I think - no issues.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    Ablations and tubals may adjust your periods (worse or better) but won't take them away.

Not always - i had a uterine ablation almost 4 years ago and haven't had a period since.
    Best invention since the weed eater. I could not be happier.

Maybe they are different in Canada.... or maybe the gynes I talk with haven't had anyone report this (I work in women's health so I talk to alot)
  • breezymom81
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy in April and I don't regret it AT ALL!! Ablasion was the first option but since there is no 100 % guarantee it will work I went for the hysterectomy (keeping the ovaries). I was out of work for 2 1/2 weeks. The only thing that sucks is no "relations" for 6 or more weeks, but so far so good. I feel better than I have in years. It's amazing what a higher blood volume can do. I was almost to the point of having a blood transfusion because I was so anemic and out of breath with the least bit of exertion. I'm now walking 1.5 - 2 miles a day with the hopes of starting to jog.

I say...go for the Hysterectomy. You won't regret it.

What type of job do you have, and how was your hysterectomy performed? I have a desk job and will have it vaginally- he said I may be able to go back sooner then 2 weeks...I mean all I do is sit at my desk - I know the girls in the office will bring my stuff off the printer and what not.
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    I had a vaginal hysterectomy and have nooo regrets. The surgery was fast, I only had one tiny stitch in my belly button and I recovered quickly.

If I may ask a super personal question, and if you are willing to answer...has it caused any issues in bed? We have a great sex life and I worry that the way I work will change.

Had a hysterectomy at age 28 -- NO REGRETS!! "Relations" improved immensly!!

Thanks a bunch! That is such a relief to hear! My periods have been a little calmer...well last month anyway. In progress this month, so we'll see if it stops after a week or goes on for the next month. If we don't get pregnant in the next couple of months, I think I might talk to my doc. DH doesn't think they will do it, but we'll see about that. I dread getting my period anymore.
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    I had a vaginal hysterectomy and have nooo regrets. The surgery was fast, I only had one tiny stitch in my belly button and I recovered quickly.

If I may ask a super personal question, and if you are willing to answer...has it caused any issues in bed? We have a great sex life and I worry that the way I work will change.

^^ This. I had the same due to severe, severe endometriosis and have not regretted it for one day. My mom had ovarian cancer though, so they took everything, ovaries and all. It took a few months to get the right hormone replacement cocktail for me but once we did, the bedroom has been as hot as ever! :love:

Thanks! That is so wonderful to know!
  • JenGrape
    JenGrape Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I was in the position to have either a hysterectomy (which is what I thought the doc would recommend for sure) and ended up going with an ablation. It has been nearly 4 yrs now. I didn't have a period at all for nearly 2 years and now I have a very light one. My doc described it as if your uterus were a tooth and had a small cavity would you have it extracted? We went with a D&C followed by the Novasure procedure... and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. That being said do NOT allow them to do it in the office. Go to an outpatient surgery center where they knock you out! (My doc says he thinks doing them in the office should be outlawed!).

Good luck!!
  • breezymom81
    Options
    I was in the position to have either a hysterectomy (which is what I thought the doc would recommend for sure) and ended up going with an ablation. It has been nearly 4 yrs now. I didn't have a period at all for nearly 2 years and now I have a very light one. My doc described it as if your uterus were a tooth and had a small cavity would you have it extracted? We went with a D&C followed by the Novasure procedure... and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. That being said do NOT allow them to do it in the office. Go to an outpatient surgery center where they knock you out! (My doc says he thinks doing them in the office should be outlawed!).

Good luck!!

Funny you put it that way, b/c everytime I get a cavity I get a crown- b/c I have never had just a filling work....

I have choosen to go with the hysterectomy b/c to me the worst thing that could happen would be for the cramps to return- or be one of the few that is able to get preggos after this( I have major health issues with my kids) for me this is the best option!!

So glad it worked well for you however :)