Freelee banana

Options
so basically if you haven't heard of her she is a YouTuber who is a vegan. She eats high amount of calories (of course their veggies ,fruit nd so on ) and Claims you will be thin. I used to think that was nonsense. But now I'm having second thoughts . She made this point about how animal milk is not essentially for human consumption. And she went on and gave an example with calves and how they're giving milk to fatten up. And how animal products make us store fat. Another point she made is the reason why we have to restrict calories is because it's not made for us and we need to eat little of it . I'm really confused now. But if she's right I don't know how I will consume as much as she does . What are you guys thoughts about this all? Itried to sum things up.

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Freelee is an idiot. A straight out, genuine idiot.
  • faduma123
    faduma123 Posts: 58 Member
    Options

Lol why is that .
  • faduma123
    Options

I mean she is so skinny
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,569 Member
    Options
    I don't disagree about dairy. It's not essential in the diet. But consuming nothing but fruit isn't the best approach either. We don't manufacture proteins or fats, so unless we take them in, the body suffers. And with all that fiber, there's going to be a lot of bathroom visits.
    Extremes aren't the answer to a balanced diet and life.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    faduma123 wrote: »

I mean she is so skinny

so skinny is more important than anything else?!
  • faduma123
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I don't disagree about dairy. It's not essential in the diet. But consuming nothing but fruit isn't the best approach either. We don't manufacture proteins or fats, so unless we take them in, the body suffers. And with all that fiber, there's going to be a lot of bathroom visits.
    Extremes aren't the answer to a balanced diet and life.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Well said .makes sense
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options

+1 She also claims that a raw vegan diet will heal you but chemotherapy will kill you. She thought it was a good thing when she lost her period for months at a time (‘I still believe that largely menstruation is toxicity leaving the body. So a lot of women are having these heavy painful periods because they have a toxic body.’) I have no words to actually explain how stupid that is.

So...yes, she's a moron.
  • faduma123
    Options

I mean she is so skinny

No , I'm just saying that her method of trying to lose weight must work .
  • faduma123
    Options
    And so I conclude that you all feel strongly lol.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I mean she is so skinny

No , I'm just saying that her method of trying to lose weight must work .

yeah being anorexic works for weight loss too... doesn't mean its a good idea....
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I used to watch her videos too, she is a bit infectious with her enthusiasm. But there are a lot of people who have followed her "eat all of these calories and you won't gain weight" thing, and have gained weight. If you search things like "how I got fat on fruit" you can see that overeating anything isn't really a good idea. I found UnnaturalVegan on youtube to have a lot of science behind her approach, and she still argues for a moderate calorie consumption, rather than the 3000+ Freelee advocates.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

+1 She also claims that a raw vegan diet will heal you but chemotherapy will kill you. She thought it was a good thing when she lost her period for months at a time (‘I still believe that largely menstruation is toxicity leaving the body. So a lot of women are having these heavy painful periods because they have a toxic body.’) I have no words to actually explain how stupid that is.

So...yes, she's a moron.

4065890.jpg

I'd not heard she said that before. I already thought she was an idiot. Wow.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    She's skinny because she doesn't overeat. What makes bananas 'made for human consumption" anymore than milk is? Banana trees do not produce bananas for humans.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    She comes across like a bit of a...fruitcake. Some people may say she's..bananas. (See what I did there? Anyone? No? I'll get me coat...)

Fad, restrictive diet pushed by a lady with a history of eating disorders with little scientific backing who makes questionable statements online.

She looks nice though I guess.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    She doesn't eat nearly as many calories as she claims to. Animal products do not make you fat. Excess calories, no matter where they come from, will make you fat. If you eat only meat and dairy, in a calorie deficit, you'd lose weight - you probably wouldn't be very healthy though as you'd be missing out on fibre and vitamins/minerals from fruit and veg. Just eat a balanced diet in a calorie deficit and you'll lose weight and be healthy. No need to over complicate things!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I have come to the conclusion that some people prefer to get bad advice and follow that. Then there are people who want to give advice, even though they have no business doing that.

They find each other and they're happy.

I wouldn't advise taking your health advice from Freelee, but people who do wouldn't like my boring, sensible advice, anyway. They want to take bad advice!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    We live in a society that doesn't value science or the people who study it. Being an educated person has somehow become synonymous with being elitist. Derision of established science has resulted in the popularity of uninformed pseudo experts who happen to have a charismatic personality.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    She doesn't eat nearly as many calories as she claims to. Animal products do not make you fat. Excess calories, no matter where they come from, will make you fat. If you eat only meat and dairy, in a calorie deficit, you'd lose weight - you probably wouldn't be very healthy though as you'd be missing out on fibre and vitamins/minerals from fruit and veg. Just eat a balanced diet in a calorie deficit and you'll lose weight and be healthy. No need to over complicate things!

Oh, she does eat as much as she says she does.
    She also rides her bike for multiple hours daily which she downplays and rather pretends you can't get fat if you just eat fruit.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

Oh, she does eat as much as she says she does.
    She also rides her bike for multiple hours daily which she downplays and rather pretends you can't get fat if you just eat fruit.

Okay then, she doesn't eat as many net calories as she says she does :p
    But I have heard it said by other people that they've met her and been disappointed that she doesn't practise what she preaches, and barely ate anything (this was at a convention so I suppose she wasn't able to ride her bike, so didn't eat much?).
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I've been waiting for a thread like this to pop up! YES!

Okay, so here's the deal with Freelee and Durian Rider and why i think the advice they give out is both STUPID and misleading.

Here we go, you constantly hear them say "You can't get fat off fruit!" "CARB THE EFF UP!". And they also talk about dietary fat (that you eat from foods) somehow magically turning into your own body's fat. They also tout in the Raw Til 4 movement to eat "MINIMUM 2500 calories for women and 3000 calories for men".

t8ujq4_4.jpg

Firstly, You can ABSOLUTELY get fat off of fruit. Or vegetables. Or meat. Or alcohol. Or any food item because there is the FACT that total calorie consumption (energy in) must be LESS than calories burned (energy out) if you want to lose weight. This is a FACT.

Secondly, since this is the case selecting a BLANKET calorie goal for women and men (regardless of their height, age, activity level, etc.) is just plain stupid. I MAINTAIN my weight around 1800 calories. Someone who is taller will take more and shorter will take less.

So then, how is it that she can slam down 1000 calorie "date-o-rade" and eat such a sh#@ ton of calories AND NOT GET FAT? I'll tell you. Both her and Durianride bike 50k PLUS each and every single day. Matter of fact, this is what they consider a "light day". Biking 31 miles per day, doing intervals with HILLS, COME ON! It's no secret or shock to find out that they need to eat a lot of calories when they are burning thousands of calories biking every single day.

There is actually a great deal of people who try her eating style and GAIN WEIGHT. And fast too. Why? Because they are eating WAY MORE calories than they need for their body AND they aren't as active as she is.

As far as the whole "the fat you eat is the fat you wear" nonsense. It's just that. Nonsense. It's not true. Dietary fat is not only NECESSARY for humans to consume (essential fats anyone?) But it does not magically become body fat (stored energy) unless you are eating too many calories.

Then there's the "stuff it in" nonsense she pushes which encourages people to literally BINGE and eat until PAST their fullness level.

Then there's the whole bull$H^t they've come up with about "metabolic damage this metabolic damage that" and "You gained weight when you became a vegan because your body is damaged from dieting "restricting" in the past, and it will take time to heal now so you'll gain weight first" and "it takes years to heal metabolic damage so you'll have to pay your dues". I'm sorry. This is also completely fabricated and not based on science. They are using this as a way to discredit those who have GAINED weight on their lifestyle AND to put the blame on the individual.

Don't even get me started on the "Do people who are not vegan even deserve to LIVE? Veganism should be mandatory" and "All men should have mandatory vasectomies"....

Also also also, it's my opinion that she both lies about how much she actually eats and pretends she doesn't exercise as much as she does so she can trick people into worshipping her/getting dissapointed when they cant look as good as her.